• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I took a California Government class for my GE's in a room with all law/political science majors. I was proud of myself for holding my own.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I took an advanced theoretical computer science course with zero theoretical computer science background. I think I ended up understanding at least half of the material and somehow managed to get a B+ on the final and an A in the course. But I was certainly at office hours every single week...

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Computer Architecture where we would design basic CPUs. The CS department at my school was transitioning to a new curriculum to separate Computer Science and Computer Engineering more. They replaced one of the prerequisite courses that had a lab with another course that was supposedly the same content. It was not the same at all and I had to drop that course because I was so lost. After graduation I taught myself that stuff, but I'm still pissed about it.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Electrical Engineering, and 8 AM Calculus 3 come to mind. I pushed through EE since it was a requirement, Calc 3 did me in and luckily was an elective.

Physics was also rough, but I took the non calc version which I think ended up being harder.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
I took a geology of the planets in our solar system course and literally didn't understand a single thing. it is beyond me why I didn't drop the class when I had the chance. only course in college i ever completely failed.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I feel like most of my classes were like that, or at least a lot of them. It seemed like my assignments always got rubber stamped with Bs, though, so I can't complain.

Liyfda

Oct 27, 2017
Calculus 1. No one in my class understood the material, we all failed, but since my teacher graded on a curve, we somehow all passed. I had a D- and somehow I passed with a C+? I dunno, it was a nightmare from like 6 years ago.

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
I took a "Modalities of Logic" class that was advertised for undergraduates with only 1 pre-requisite, and it ended up becoming a graduate's level class that probably needed 3 more per-requisites that I didn't have under my belt.

I should have dropped the class after realizing most of the attendees were professors and grad students. Us undergrads were taking a beating with the exception of one genius in the class that pulled all of us through the finish line.

I haven't ever been as lost in the sauce in any class up till then or since.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Information Theory certainly felt that way. I'm usually someone who learns best from reading textbooks, but the textbook for that class was just indecipherable. All I can remember from it now is Shannon-Nyquist's sampling theorem.

Formal Methods was another one. I can appreciate them for what they are, but personally, I want nothing to do with them.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
A Python class which was basically building functions but all my classmates had prior experience and I had no experience.

Organic Chemistry lost me in the 2nd semester.

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I took a geology of the planets in our solar system course and literally didn't understand a single thing. it is beyond me why I didn't drop the class when I had the chance. only course in college i ever completely failed.
I took mineralogy and thankfully managed to drop the class before the midterm.

I started studying for the class and while I understood the written part just fine, there was also a lab portion around identifying minerals based on a bunch of different categories and I had NO idea how to do that.

A lot of money down the toilet, but at least it didn't hurt my GPA.

I also took Java during the spring one year, didn't do great but well enough to pass, then I took Java 2 after forgetting everything over the summer. Was taking 3 other classes and my grades were slipping so I had to make the class pass/fail to avoid the hit to my GPA and just stopped doing anything for the class.

I was also taking physics classes while being a class behind in the math prereqs. They said it would be fine if I was taking them concurrently, but one of the first classes I remember seeing a symbol and asking my friend "what's that?" and it was an integral, something I didn't learn until the NEXT Calculus class.

Managed to do well enough in then anyways even without the math, but my GPA was pretty rough for a while.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
This was most of my classes in college, now I help design most of the chips phones run on, it's all right to feel clueless.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Digital Signal Processing for Electrical Engineering was this for me.

DogNut327

Aug 10, 2020
Calculus 1 had me completely lost, which was kind of annoying since I took calc in high school and should've done much better.

Organic chemistry 1 seems to be pretty hyped up at being difficult, but I never struggled with it. Orgo 2 though...

vainya

Dec 28, 2017
New Jersey, USA
Discrete Math, this was mostly because the professor taught like he was having a conversation with a colleague instead of actually teaching the class. I had no idea what was going on and the book didn't help. Thankfully, I withdrew from the program altogether.

Java II was hard for some reason. At the midterm, I was on track to get a D+. I did so much extra credit that I turned it into an A- and I actually learned in the process.

Starting tomorrow, I will be taking an Intro to Transportation Engineering course with no real engineering background. That's going to be fun.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Physics 2 was hard for me, studied my ass off and only got a B.

Linear Algebra I failed the first time, retook it with a different teacher and got an A. Go figure.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
California Geography

I took it thinking it'd be easy credit, what I got was a overbearing professor with a incomprehensibly-thick accent who took points off of assignments for inane shit like not capitalizing common nouns

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was vector calculus for me! I just didn't understand the professor, textbook, or assignments

Then I took another class in advanced electricity and magnetism, took a look at the first chapter of that which covers vector calc from the angle of a physicist and thought "WAIT. THAT'S ALL VECTOR CALC IS??"

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
My third Java programming course. I did really good my first and second semesters of it and was even offered a job as a tutor for it twice. The third Java class was completely lost on me. I learn better by doing things hands on, but the entire class was lecture/note taking and then working on projects for homework. It's difficult for me to replicate and get familiar with processes without first doing them myself. A guy in my group was pretty good, so we agreed that he'd do the coding and I'd write the papers.

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
The only time I felt like this was the first week of gen chem 1. It clicked with me after that and I got an A.

Deleted member 9972

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basically every 400 level math course. The fact that I got A's in all of them should be an indicator that there's a problem with the system, because I definitely didn't learn anything

RebelStrike

Apr 28, 2020
I took Vector and Complex Calculus when I was a sophomore in undergrad, fuck that class was brutal. I was very happy to get a C, especially when I got a 28% and 30% on two of the exams.

Last edited:

AINTneauxACID

Oct 27, 2017
C++ 2. I took the first class months before and I think that's what messed me up. Functions were the focus of the first week and I was completely lost.

Cadmium Cat

Apr 9, 2020
Yes Physics , and I was putting alot of effort into it. Although I will say I wouldn't mind trying again

Rainer516

Oct 29, 2017
For undergrad I was an engineering & econ double major with a math minor.... just to flex I decided to sign up for a graduate econ course in auction theory and its modeling applications. Think about multi-variable differentials with nested probabilities, I can probably do those now, but back then..... woof!

Edit: I have nobody to blame but myself since I spent too much time partying.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
My final undergrad semester, I needed a blowoff class so I could stay full time for aid reasons. My advisor pointed me to some religion class and told me to take it P/F as the pass rate was something like 90%.

Now, I am very familiar with world religions and such. I figured it wouldn't be too bad to pull a Pass with minimal effort.

The first day of class, the professor opens with "now, most of you will do just fine. However, for some of you, this will be absolutely incomprehensible".

Guess which group I fell into?

To this day, I have zero understanding of any of the material he was teaching. I found the textbook when I was moving a couple years ago and decided to skim with a fresh mind. Still don't get it. I guess my brain just isn't wired that particular way.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
I remember my freshman year advanced physics class being brutal. Like just stupid brutal. The high score in the class on the first exam was something like 10%. I recall leaving that first exam in tears thinking I got nothing right and had just flunked out of college. I passed. I got only a few points correct but it was enough to pass when graded on a curve. Ridiculous class.

Last edited:

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Macroeconomics confused the fuck out of me (I'm bad with math courses) but eventually understood something when the class was done lol

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Virtually all of them. The only classes I took that I had at least a modicum of background experience in were manly science classes like Astronomy, because I already knew about planets, stars and stuff as a kid and Intro to Engineering cause the mock CAD program we were using was LEGO Digital Desinger and I was the only person who had experience with it.