• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a broken record complaining about this, but I'm really flabbergasted by the price here.

Sure, having access to the 2nd TV at home is not a necessity and of course I can get the full Switch experience while totally skipping a 2nd dock. That said, $90 for dock + cables feels ridiculously steep. Am I missing something here?

I'd have gone 3rd party, but the bricking horror stories kinda make that not an option.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

AMA on how I amassed my incredible wealth and so can you!

I agree they are pricey.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I think it's insane as well.

I really would like another one so i can easily ringfit in a larger room, but I'm not paying that price and I'm scared of the third party docks, frankly.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
They are indeed far too expensive. I wish I could afford another but i'm not paying $90.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
You can't seem to buy them new anywhere but on Amazon and from third party sellers charging a mark-up. I wonder if they have been discontinued...

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I have purchased a few dock kits, and also imported a Smash Bros dock, and have a couple through Kickstarter.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
is there a market for docks? I never use mine ever (Switch is 100% a portable for me), maybe I should sell it...

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Got an official one as a gift and bought the Insignia one myself.

the second official dock goes in the bedroom, the insignia one I use for traveling. Both work well, there's no reason to pay more for the official one tbh.

Werd

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
They were $50 repeatedly at Gamestop/Best Buy back when I got a Switch and was keeping an eye on them last summer, still pretty steep for what it is but more reasonable at least.

I did get one, but mostly ended up just using the charger separately once I got a couple more USB-C devices.

Redwing19

Oct 28, 2017
I actually just bought a refurbished one from Nintendo and an official AC adapter. $70 total. Didn't like spending it but wanted the convenience of going to my downstairs TV with carpet floors for Ring Fit Adventure.

I was also afraid of third party docks that have a possibility of bricking the system.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Always felt like it should be like a $20-$25 accessory. $90 is stupid.

I mean, they're definitely overpriced, but $20-25 seems like it would be pretty low of an MSRP considering it comes with the cables and stuff too. I feel like most stores would sell the charger cable and HDMI cable at $10 each regularly. $40-50 MSRP with periodic sales sounds more realistic.

Oct 25, 2017
I got a Jumpgate dock for the PC screen on my desk so that I could leave the standard dock with the TV and switch between the two easily. I've been very happy with that purchase. No problems.

4pW8Gp3.jpg

(That is a picture of one but that is not my picture)

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I'd never. I've spent enough on accessories this gen because Nintendo has been dropping the ball (one left joycon because of drifting, a pair of joycons due to drifting again, a new charger because the tip broke due to use).

Nintendo is killing it with games but I miss the "Fisher Price" quality of Wii U. At least I had no problems

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
A new Switch owner here, is there a dock that is not a huge box of plastic that has high probability of scratching your screen? Something like a mini dock that just cover the bottom of the Switch.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
I opted for the Genki covert dock Kickstarter. I'm just waiting for them to ship it out at this point.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
yeah, but luckily I didn't pay full price for it. I use one as my travel/PC Monitor dock and the other one is my main dock.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been meaning to for years but I just can't justify the cost, and I don't really trust third party docks.

Sep 14, 2019
Paid 70 during a sale a year ago.

Pricey, but I love having multiple docks and just sliding it in anywhere and anytime I want without a fuzz.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Nah, 90 bucks for a dock is insane. At that rate I'll just buy a 2nd Switch or a Lite.

Do non official nintendo docks still have the problem with the USB C protocol stuff and breaking switches?

Oct 29, 2017
I bought the insignia slim dock from best buy on sale for like 40. Solidly made dock, the switch fits snuggly with no issue with my screen protector. Only downside is only one USB port in the back. Comes with power cable and an hdmi cable as well.

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
Is there a list of third party dock that are safe to use? Insignia is not available here :(

Solobbos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I would love to have another dock so that when I take the Switch to parties I would not have to disconnect my current dock. But it's not worth 99€ (110$) for me. When it's about 30€, sure.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
That price is insane.
I asked my wife who has worked with factories in China, Japan and Korea that produce products similar to this (plastic specific) what she thought the cost of this would be. She said it would cost no more than $7 to make.

If she nailed the price, that's one hell of a mark up.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
$90? What the fuck.

WHY

That price is insane.
I asked my wife who has worked with factories in China, Japan and Korea that produce products similar to this (plastic specific) what she thought the cost of this would be. She said it would cost no more than $7 to make.

If she nailed the price, that's one hell of a mark up.
It's a hunk of plastic with HDMI out, it shouldn't be more than 30.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
No. I spent $300 on the new Switch (with the better screen and improved battery life), and now have two docks, however.
:/