• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What are your thoughts on FFTCG?

• I’m into it and thriving (please provide which universe you live in)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tried it and liked it

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Am interested in it but haven’t tried it

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Tried it and wasn’t a fan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ...There’s a Thor 2: The Dark World TCG?

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I've been interested in learning and playing the Final Fantasy TCG since I got promo cards with Dissidia NT, but it was kind of obscure stateside and then Covid hit, which has devastated LGS's - the only LGS near me identified with Square Enix's official store finder went out of business, and no other stores seem to carry the cards or merch (Charlotte NC).

Despite this, there seems to be a fairly tenacious following based on their event calendar in Asia and, according to Reddit, in the UK and NZ, and they have releases announced and planned out well into late next year, so it seems like Square-Enix isn't going to kill it off just yet.

Are we anticipating there to be a card game revival in a post-Covid world, or is this game's best chance of survival an MTGA variant and relying on collectors for the foreseeable future? I used to have a lot of fun with MTG but playing FF would be The Dream.

I just picked up the Shadowbringers starter set (from a third party on Amazon) and the cards are so cool. 😭

Here's a picture of Emet-Selch's card - the other deck has a spoiler for people on this board still LTTP and making their way through SHB:

EDPiebu.jpg

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
No. I never really got into any trading card games. I never understood how to play them. I'm not smart enough for that kind of thing.

Here's a picture of Emet-Selch's card - the other deck has a spoiler for people on this board still LTTP and making their way through SHB:

I saw a video from a guy on Youtube who is early in Shadowbringers and got spoiled through Twitter because the FFXIV Twitter posted about the Shadowbringers cards and the box has a huge spoiler.

OP
OP
Arkeband

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I saw a video from a guy on Youtube who is early in Shadowbringers and got spoiled through Twitter because the FFXIV Twitter posted about the Shadowbringers cards and the box has a huge spoiler.

Lol. Well, it's a fairly minor spoiler considering your character can guess and start pestering him immediately upon entering The First if you've done the quests, but I figured I'd spare people if possible.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I've seen folks share pictures of cards and such on social media, but I have not gotten into the card game myself. I think the cards for the FF TCG look really cool, and I'd start collecting them if I wasn't afraid of getting addicted to tracking down each and every one possible. ha

As an aside, I remember when FF8 came out and there were card packs that had scenes and characters from the game, but also cards based off of Triple Triad so you could play IRL, which was AWESOME.

Jan 27, 2019
I am, you can use a cool free simulator called OCTGN or Untap to play online. I'd be more than happy to answer more questions when I'm more awake in the morning 😂

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
A friend of mine did, but it didn't last very long for him since not a lot of people in our area picked it up either.

OP
OP
Arkeband

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I am, you can use a cool free simulator called OCTGN or Untap to play online. I'd be more than happy to answer more questions when I'm more awake in the morning 😂

I'll have to check these out, I used to play MTG via Cockatrice back in the day to playtest decks, so something like that might be my best bet for now.

OP
OP
Arkeband

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Hey, if you can make the drive to Durham, Atomic Empire has these cards in fairly frequently.

Lol that'd be a 5 hour round trip unfortunately, I'd be better off paying the S-E store their giant shipping fees.

I've been watching games and it shares a lot of similarities to Magic, except you lose if you take seven hits and games seem to be fairly quick since you draw 2 cards per turn from a deck of 50 cards.

jkh13

Oct 27, 2017
The collecting scene has really exploded in the last few months, certain product is hard to come by and increasingly expensive similar to what happened to Pokemon TCG last year and this year. I would expect more stores to start picking this up once things become more open.

Belladonna

Oct 30, 2017
I have a few starter sets laying around. It's pretty cool and I like how mana systems works. Kinda wish there was an online version so that I could actually play it with someone. :)