• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm starting to think that I need to get back on an SSRI for my anxiety as it's affecting my daily life too much. I was on Zoloft for like 3 years and it worked great but I also gained a lot of weight, but I think that was mostly due to me eating a lot. I've been losing the weight and have been off it for 2 years and I don't want to jump back on it and gain weight.

Has anyone been on it and not gained weight or even lost weight if that was part of diet plan at the time?

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I've been on it for 15 years. Minimal weight gain, which has really just been the nature of aging.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
afaik the research suggests that weight gain for most SSRIs is usually minimal and more related to an increase in appetite due to alleviation of depressive symptoms, rather than a direct function of the drug itself. It can be hard to stave off weight, but with a certain amount of consideration to your diet it shouldn't be a problem.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I just started on it February 25th and I have gained just the slightest weight but lemme explain.

1: I'm not fucking depressed so I actually want to eat and enjoy life.
2: There's nothing to do but eat during this quarantine
3: If anything, I just have dry mouth.

I highly highly highly recommend sertraline.

Also, if you're worried, hit the gym. Be happy and looking fit. Can't be beat. If ya have any other questions, hit me up!

Sadsic

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The drug that made me gain weight was Seroquel, i would get some hardcore munchies on that lol

I didn't notice anything like that in particular for Zoloft when I was on it

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I did gain a lot of weight, but this started before I started taking Sertraline and kept going after I quit it. Not sure if it's related to my depression, but it might be. Eating is one of the few things that make me happy.
I quit Sertraline because the only effect I ever noticed was that I became unable to have an orgasm.

OP
OP
maxxpower

maxxpower

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm currently on a weight loss diet and exercise regimen and was wondering if anyone had been successful losing a decent amount of weight while on it.

Based on the replies it sounds like the drug itself doesn't cause the weight gain. Which was true for me because once I was on it and actually feeling better my appetite came back.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I'm currently on a weight loss diet and exercise regimen and was wondering if anyone had been successful losing a decent amount of weight while on it.

Based on the replies it sounds like the drug itself doesn't cause the weight gain. Which was true for me because once I was on it and actually feeling better my appetite came back.

Well I'll say this much. I don't weight myself but when I cut out sugar and ate more almonds as snacks, I looked less...erm...jiggly in the belly. If anything, not feeling fucking depressed has made my workout much better. I feel that my posture is stronger. I actually feel it's helping me break a lot of bad habits. So yeah, strong recommend.

So don't worry! You'll be great! A month after you get back on the drugs you're gonna know it was totally the best move.

Bionic

Oct 27, 2017
Individual differences in side effects from SSRIs are so high that it's really not worth trying to guess your potential side effects or the validity of your side effects from others' experiences. It's luck of the genetic and epigenetic draw.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I got on an SSRI at the end of January and have definitely gained weight but I agree that it's a function of quarantine and having nothing better to spend my time or money on than eating junk food.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
I gained weight, but my eating habits were turning to garbage at the same time. Even then, I leveled off at about 185lbs (I'm 5'7).

Nov 21, 2017
No it been the opposite for me. Big side effect for me is nausea and lack of appetite. So I don't eat that much... I been on it for 4 years.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
My brother has been on Zoloft for ~20 years and has never had a weight gain problem.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere...
When I was on higher dosage of zoloft way back (8/10 years ago), I gained a lot of weight. I think I had like 4-8 waffles coated with butter as midnight snacks back then. I go back and forth with my appetite though; I sometimes go days without having a proper meal. It's been many years, so I think my body got used to the lower 25mg dosage, which is like super low I think? Tried many times to decrease it to 0, but I get a bit loony and brood excessively so 25mg is the "sweet spot".

So yes. I did gain a lot of weight from zoloft, but not recently because of the low dosage and how my body got used to it.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Gained a bit of weight on one SSRI(celexa) but not the other(Prozac).

I tried Zoloft for a couple days and quit because it was exactly like Celexa to me

I'm not on anything right now though. They all had an increasingly sedating effect on me

Oct 31, 2017
Honestly I can't tell you if, or how, Zoloft actually contributed to me gaining weight.

But for the most part it definitely had to do with me eating way too many sandwiches; something that I don't think I should blame on medication lol

Oct 25, 2017
I've been on it for about six months now and I'm presently losing weight rapidly, but then my binge eating habits are largely a coping mechanism for depression. For other people I know, they tend to lose weight when they're going through a bad patch because their appetite goes away.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I didn't gain weight on Zoloft when I took it. If anything it suppressed my appetite.

OP
OP
maxxpower

maxxpower

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
When I was on higher dosage of zoloft way back (8/10 years ago), I gained a lot of weight. I think I had like 4-8 waffles coated with butter as midnight snacks back then. I go back and forth with my appetite though; I sometimes go days without having a proper meal. It's been many years, so I think my body got used to the lower 25mg dosage, which is like super low I think? Tried many times to decrease it to 0, but I get a bit loony and brood excessively so 25mg is the "sweet spot".

So yes. I did gain a lot of weight from zoloft, but not recently because of the low dosage and how my body got used to it.
I was on 25 mg and it worked great for me. I'm currently taking Xanax when my anxiety gets really bad and I don't like how "high" it makes me feel. I'm ready to jump back on a more "permanent" solution.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
I gained an extreme amount of weight (50 pounds in 6 months) when I got put on Zoloft but I was also put on Respridol at the same time and mostly blamed my weight gain on that.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I've been on and off Zoloft for 12 years (8 years total). Never had any weight gain. 2 months ago, I started taking Zoloft again after being off it for 2 years. I lost about 4-6 lbs since then (5'11" and 137lbs now), mainly because of stress and low apetite which I already had before I started. I'm taking 25mg but years ago I've been on 100mg and never gained any weight.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
I've been taking it for about 2-3 months now and my weight hasn't changed at all. I normally have a low appetite anyway though.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
I took zoloft along time ago. I didn't gain weight but I got all the sexual side effects.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
My husband gained 30 lbs on Zoloft, but now they're doing a combination therapy that hopefully won't impact his weight that much. Whatever makes him happy is worth it, even the weight

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere...
I was on 25 mg and it worked great for me. I'm currently taking Xanax when my anxiety gets really bad and I don't like how "high" it makes me feel. I'm ready to jump back on a more "permanent" solution.
Yea. 25mg should totally be fine w/o weight gain. I was on 100mg but we progressively swapped all my medication to another set because I wasn't getting any better. Zoloft is the only one that stayed. My psychiatrist insists that 25mg is so low that it shouldn't have much effect (that's why we're trying to drop it so many times) but my behavior says otherwise.

Bobcats

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was on it briefly and had no change in weight. Fewer than 3 months, don't remember the dose.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I've taken it for a while and I've gained a good ~40lbs or so, though it's also combined with a corticosteroid and both have fantastic weight-gain properties.

If nothing else at least I'm tall enough I can absorb some of that weight.

OP
OP
maxxpower

maxxpower

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Just wanted to vent.
I'm on day 9 of having started taking it and I'm at that stage where it actually makes anxiety symptoms worse before getting better. I already ended up at the ER and I feel like crap right now. Anyone else here suffer from chronic anxiety?

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere...
Just wanted to vent.
I'm on day 9 of having started taking it and I'm at that stage where it actually makes anxiety symptoms worse before getting better. I already ended up at the ER and I feel like crap right now. Anyone else here suffer from chronic anxiety?

Oh no :( But keep taking it and you'll get there! Keep yourself busy (or hang around someone you're comfortable with).

Anxiety definitely sucks and it has tormented me for years :(

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Never gained weight until I took remeron (which is like Zoloft / Lexapro with out the erection killing effects)

It was not fun, had to get off of it.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zoloft made me so sleepy. I would sleep like 10 hours at night, and then I would doze off standing in the shower, and then I would nod off at my desk at work, and then I would take a nap after work, and then I would conk out watching a movie. I have no idea if I was still depressed or not while taking it. It was like being in an opium haze.

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Just wanted to vent.

When I first started sertraline 2 years ago I had severe anxiety attacks the first month or two off and on. It gets better but you have to stick to it until your body adjusts. It can be difficult so finding routines or things that significantly decrease your stress are helpful. I found walking 5-10 miles worked for me really well and ended up making it a habit whenever I felt myself having a really awful mental week. Write out things that decrease your mental anguish and try your best to utilize that list when you feel your anxiety consuming you.