• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
As a kid I would watch 2-3 movies a day.

But when I was around 12 or so years old, I started caring about movies less and less. Video games slowly started becoming the only entertainment media that I actually give a shit about.

And now, I just seriously have no interest in films whatsoever. I prefer the creative freedom that developers of video games have (it can be as long or as short as they want, which also means a lot more time to develop the world-building/lore and characters) and, well, if I have to be honest I have a horrid case of inattentive ADHD so, while I love cutscenes in games (many of my favorite games have cutscenes that last over 20 minutes long), I love the interactivity of video games too. Going to the movie theater is kind of torturous for me if I gotta be honest.

Has anyone else had a falling-out with films? Not necessarily because of video games, but for whatever reason?

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
I rarely go to the theater anymore. Only occasionally watch films at home. I'll be going this weekend to see Us for sure though.

A lot of my time is spent playing games and watching TV instead, but I wouldn't say my opinion of the theater experience or film has changed for the worse in recent years. Just how I prefer to spend my time.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
It's been the opposite for me. Movies have only grown in interest for me over the years. Interest in video games has only waned. I think games are often pigeonholed and limited in the message that they convey.

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
I had for quite a long time stopped going to the cinema and watching films regularly, probably because I use to work in a cinema not too long ago (which kinda put me off).

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having a falling in with film, actually. I still a turbo newbie, but I'm starting to have some directors where I'm hyping up anything they do. I wasn't like that before.

I still don't really want to watch more than a few a week, but that's a lot more than I used to watch.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
As a kid I would watch 2-3 movies a day.

But when I was around 12 or so years old, I started caring about movies less and less. Video games slowly started becoming the only entertainment media that I actually give a shit about.

And now, I just seriously have no interest in films whatsoever. I prefer the creative freedom that developers of video games have (it can be as long or as short as they want, which also means a lot more time to develop the world-building/lore and characters) and, well, if I have to be honest I have a horrid case of inattentive ADHD so, while I love cutscenes in games (many of my favorite games have cutscenes that last over 20 minutes long), I love the interactivity of video games too. Going to the movie theater is kind of torturous for me if I gotta be honest.

Has anyone else had a falling-out with films? Not necessarily because of video games, but for whatever reason?

I normally go back and fourth with movies and games. Not really falling out, but sometimes I just can't be bothered to play games and other times I feel like playing games more than watching movies.

I find having a short break from one or the other, stops me getting bored of them.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
yep, i watch movie trailers and nothing really grabs me anymore. i think watching 6+ movies a week when i was a kid really burned me out. after a while you can kinda see the skeleton of these movies.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, for the past 5 or so years I've watched about 1 movie a year. I just have no desire to watch one. Same goes with TV shows, as apart from the Grand Tour, I haven't watched any TV in years.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Video games are fun to play but 99% of game stories are complete garbage. Ten thousand codex pages of "lore" is not a replacement for a story.

Matrix XII

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I hardly watch movies anymore. The last movie I watched was Annihiliation and nothing much else since.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, but I burned out on music and didn't listen to any between early-2003 and early-2006.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
I had a falling out with mainstream American films. I'm all about the international and obscure indie-gems these days.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really a falling out because I love them, but Dunkirk of all movies made me start going through this extra pretentious phase where I hate when movies don't use the medium to be special. If it can be accomplished on a stage, why bother making it a movie?

(Dunkirk RE: editing)

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I definitely don't get as engrossed in films as I once did. I used to love going to the theater every single weekend, tracking down old films to watch, and sampling new anime movies - then discussing them obsessively. Around 8 years ago my interest just inexplicably waned. Now I go to the theater maybe once a month, sometimes only once in several months, instead mostly watching movies on Netflix or Amazon Prime. I can't remember the last time I gave a new anime movie a shot. Years.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, if anything I've been more into films. I've fallen out with anime and manga almost entirely though. Video games I'm about the same, though there's far fewer new releases I'm interested in (JRPG genre has been in a sad state for many years).

giraffereyn

Banned
Jan 20, 2019
I follow movie blockbusters and horror thrillers so the movies I watch are barely worth spoiling much less taking seriously. There are so many trash movies coming out that I don't understand why people treasure the movie watching experience if all they follow are super hero movies and whatever is being talked about on message boards and youtube videos.

The surface level of the medium is utter trash which is a bummer but it really easily accessible if you focus on other hobbies like video games and books. Pretty much any movie that people are talking about is of a level of quality that you can just go watch and barely pay attention to and you guaranteed to have a good time, the really heady stuff will be in the medium you focus on.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
As a format for serious dramas and character development yeah I have. Netflix, HBO and others have far surpassed that. I look forward to an inevitable high budget Harry Potter TV series so we get 12 hours per book.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I adore film more and more if anything. I'm working on quite the small collection. I'm trying to slowly built my Masters of Cinema blu-ray collection to be as complete as possible. Will be a bit hard though since some have gone out of print for some reason and can't be purchased at a fun price any more.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Nope.

The hole is endless, there are so may movies I missed by being born in 1987, I still have so much catching up to do!

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Ehhh.....maybe? I much prefer to binge TV shows on Netflix/Hulu as opposed to films. Once you find a good series that you enjoy, you get a lot more viewing in before having to find something else that interests you.

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely watch far less movies...find more and more I prefer long form storytelling of TV (doesn't hurt that we are still living in a golden age of television)...

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Yes, I definitely have. Both with movies and with video games. It started after my son was born. After getting him to sleep I'd have time to watch a movie or play a game, but I was just too exhausted. I'd be out cold ten minutes into any movie. After getting used to not watching a lot of movies, I now feel like I'm wasting my time when I do watch them. I know it's a stupid way to feel and I hate feeling that way, and I hope it's just a phase.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Yes. TV series have gotten so good, it's become impossible for most movies to stack up.

I still have my old favorites that I watch, but for the most part, I don't watch many new movies anymore.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
I had for quite a long time stopped going to the cinema and watching films regularly, probably because I use to work in a cinema not too long ago (which kinda put me off).

This pretty much happened to me, and it's doubly compounded by the fact that it's the only one in town. I had an internship with the marketing and social media side of the chain where I didn't get the job at the end, and it gave me a lot of anxiety about going in again even though I got on well with both the office staff and the front-facing staff because I felt like a failure.

I watch an occasional film at home but it's never the same. It doesn't help that a lot of time the stuff I want to see is family fare like animation, MCU stuff, etc, and at 31, no kids and no local friends I just feel awkward in there by my lonesome. I just don't enjoy movies without the social aspect. I don't talk in the screening or anything but I love the feel of being in a crowd who are all captivated by what's going on on the screen and just living in that moment.

I lost track of TV awhile ago as well, partly because I don't have Sky or anything like that, and I don't really like binge-watching in general so most streaming shows pass me by. I can't keep track of a thing for that long (I'm on the spectrum so I get fidgety for any show that isn't my exact interests), and I never watch more than one episode of a thing a day even when I am following through on a series.

Lately, I've been bored by a lot of things, and want something new. But I'm also heavily depressed because I'm dealing with two recent family deaths, so I'm trying to cut myself more slack. I desperately want to see Captain Marvel for instance, and then springboard into seeing other movies, but I feel like shit and it's hard just living right now.

Anyway, this is way too long already, but it's just all come out now. I still love movies deep down but it's just been hard for external factors. I don't know if I'll even make it to Endgame because "Some people move on. But not us." cuts me too deep right now because of my current situation. I can't even consider rewatching Infinity War because I was barely holding it together through all the sad parts (my brother and Dad were fighting their cancer during the release) and I'll bawl my eyes out at the dusting scene.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watching movies is one of my favorite things to do, but I also smoke grass which helps with suspension of disbelief.

Oct 25, 2017
Where my passion has dwindled is the special features.
I used to watch behind the scenes videos and listen to commentaries religiously. I still love them. I just find it hard to find the motivation to watch them anymore. It feels like less effort goes into the videos now, like they're created to be uploaded to youtube for marketing. Instead of long worthwhile behind the scenes looks, they're chopped into a bunch of separate bite sized commercials. Sucks. I like getting down and dirty with the production, not watching a series of 3 minute long interviews with occasional shots of actors cut inbetween. Vapid.
And good commentaries are getting rare, too. I love it when a director will walk me through the technical details of each scene and the challenges they faced making it happen. But it's hard to find a good technical commentary.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I'm 44 and watch 3-4 movies a day, Mon-Fri. My answer to your question is a resounding "no". I do watch A LOT of golden age movies though, which helps keep things fresh. There are decades of movies to catch up on, if one is so inclined.