• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
What the blazes...why would they have omitted this detail?

Since you can freely move the arm canon and see different angles of it in 3D space due to the wii remote controls the original effect which relied on a 2D effect overlayed on it no longer worked. In fact most of the beam canon effects are gone.

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Symphony of the Night changing Alucard's voice actor to Yuri Lowenthal.

The rest of the cast does a great job replicating the charming bombast of SotN's original dub (especially Patrick Seitz's Dracula) but Lowenthal sounds so dull as Alucard.
This for me. OG SOTN has a certain charm in the voice acting that the remaster just completely lacks.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Didn't exactly hate the remaster because of it but Fable Anniversary had this muted look to it that really bugged me throughout my whole playthrough.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Radiant Historia gave all of its characters plastic surgery on 3DS, including giving the princess with a pixie cut super long hair for no reason.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
It's not the SOLE reason (and I don't hate it, I just don't think it's as good as the original), but I didn't like how Mario didn't make a peace sign when getting a star in SM64 DS.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
latest

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this counts because I don't hate the game for doing it (I'm quite excited, actually!) and it's a remake, not a remaster, but here goes!

With Final Fantasy VII Remake something petty that's really getting under my skin are English localization changes just for the sake of changing things. I don't mind translation updates to correct inaccuracies in the original since it sorely needed them, but localization is changing things that are staying the same in the Japanese version of the Remake. Below are some examples.

Guard Scorpion -> "Scorpion Sentinel"
Barret's Big Shot or Grenade Bomb limit break (forget which) -> "Fire in the Hole"
Tifa's Beat Rush attack -> "Rise and Fall"
Choco/Mog's Deathblow -> "Stampede"

By and large I think these changes are generally worse than their original names, which remain intact in the Japanese version of the Remake. The changes are pointless, they move away from iconic names people grew up with, they're changed only in the localization for questionable reasons, and the new names are often more of a mouthful. I realize to the average player this isn't a big deal at all but it really bothers me.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
A few weeks ago, someone told me the Dark Souls remaster was "trash" because of incredibly minor lighting changes.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Ico remaster on PS3. Not the developer's fault, they took the version that was generally accepted to be "final" to remaster - European version. Turned out that practically every change and addition in the European version was for the worse:
- Spring jump timing puzzle: terrible
- Running across the water wheel: terrible.
But the worst of all is how in the European version, the happy-sounding ending music starts to play way sooner than it did in the US version - it plays during an otherwise very somber and dreary scene, where it really feels out of place, and ruins the ending somewhat. I completely blame Ueda for all this however, as he clearly didn't know when to stop tinkering with what was already a finished work.
I always heard the USA PS2 Ico version was unfinished, and the later JP/EU version was better. Fascinating to hear song of the differences you faced.

I agree on the spring jump and water wheel in Ico are absolutely awful, and they sound have been fixed for the remake. I had idea those are different in the USA version.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I stopped playing Pokemon Let's Go Eevee when I got to the Safari Zone and realized it was gone. That was about a week after it launched. Sold the game last week to a co-worker who just bought a Switch.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
the bloom in wind waker hd

even with the improvements to the game's pacing I just can't stand that version because of that bloom. hoping one day we get a WWHD release with an option to play with the original's art style in 4K.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
In the recent Konami Arcade Classics Collection, the version of Salamander they give you is Life Force. They're more or less the same game, but the one I'm more familiar with is Salamander, and I dislike the small changes made in Life Force.

from Wikipedia:
Konami later released an enhanced version of Salamander in Japan in 1987 bearing the American title of Life Force which further fleshes out the organic motif. All of the backgrounds and mechanical enemies are completely redrawn and given organic appearances. The power-up system was also modified, with the Japanese Life Force using the same power-up gauge as the original Gradius. Some music tracks have been completely changed for this release and the power-up gauge is arranged differently for both players.

It's a shame if they aren't both included because they are listed as two separate games in the Saturn/PSP Salamander Collection. I too much prefer Salamander.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I stopped playing the second SotC remaster when I saw Wander's face was FUCKED.

Loved the original, obviously, and the PS3 remaster was good (aside from being based off the PAL version and gripping felt off). the PS4 is beautiful, but then Wander's face.... wtf happened?

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was actually liking Twin Snakes until Snake starts jumping off rockets. From that point on there was only hate.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I decided not to buy the Mario and Luigi remake because the sprites look a lot worse to me. I had been wanting to play that game for a while, but I just couldn't pull the trigger on it when I saw how it looked :/

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not remasters, and I can't think of an example off the top of my head, but in games within the same series between PSP and 3DS installments, the typo on 3DS often looks worse, like a low-res typo you'd use on the DS and not a device with PSP/3DS capabilities and screens. It bothers me because it looks cheap.

TwoPikachus

Nov 15, 2018
Probably not brought up yet because it's too obvious, but the Silent Hill remasters hurt me the most. Those are two of my all time favorite games and they destroyed their legacy. Thank God for the PC versions and the communities around them. I can still play hd versions of them today. The treatment of this series is the reason why every game needs a good PC port.

Nov 8, 2017
Gears was 30fps anyway
I think it's not unreasonable in most cases to assume that a remaster of a 30fps on a much more powerful system will be 60fps, otherwise why even bother?

I don't even regard 30fps to be an "insignificant or petty" reason at all; it's one hell of a good reason that has been a deal-breaker stopping me from buying remasters on several occasions.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I always heard the USA PS2 Ico version was unfinished, and the later JP/EU version was better. Fascinating to hear song of the differences you faced.

I agree on the spring jump and water wheel in Ico are absolutely awful, and they sound have been fixed for the remake. I had idea those are different in the USA version.
I too believed that EU version was the superior one until I played it in the remaster. Spring jump and water wheel simply don't exist in the US version, and it's anyone's guess why Ueda thought it was a good idea to add them. They add nothing but needless tedium - you're not solving anything, you just have two places where you overcome nothing even remotely important, but keep failing endlessly. I actually was aware of these two places, and knew that the timing for the jump was odd, and yet I failed many times, because the timing is really very counter intuitive. On the water wheel, I fell off probably 50 times, no exaggeration. Those two places really go some way to ruining an otherwise very elegant and cleverly put together game. But still, it's the end music cue that really got to me in a bad way. I felt it was a perfect example of what the OP asked for :)

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
The music in the garage of the Jet Set Radio remake on the Game Boy Advance played one wrong beat. It drove me nuts.

jedezel

Oct 28, 2017
I never bought/played the remake of Gabriel Knight (Sins of the Fathers) only because they changed the voice actors.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I don't hate it, but it really bugged me that the quality of textures in Twilight Princess TP were all over the place. Like some of the enemies were low res or even the furniture.. And Link's hair was fugly.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
They replaced the unique art in Radiant Historia with generic anime, dramatically changing some character designs in the process.
They then withheld the original art to sell as DLC...

I didn't end up buying it for that reason, which I guess is super petty. I already have the DS version anyway, I should just go finish it.
Oh, yeah. I remember this game from the DS days as "the one with the short curly hair princess" so I was really confused when they changed her to a long straight hair princess... With her being also blonde, now it's just generic for the sake of it.
I didn't get this or Strange Jouney because of the polemics with the art changes.

I wouldn't call that insignificant, but I hate when publishers re-release games only to remove some of the translations for no reason. Nintendo did it with Golden Sun on the WiiU, and Capcom with the Ace Attorney trilogy in all releases so far. It makes us affected feel powerless because no matter how much we complained they never even bothered to reply. Really wish the european divisions had more to say in this kind of decisions, but it sometimes feels like they're only there for marketing and distribution.

Oh, and I was upset at the Captain Toad ports removing any 3D World references. They could have easily referenced both that and Oddysey at the ending.

I don't hate it, but it really bugged me that the quality of textures in Twilight Princess TP were all over the place. Like some of the enemies were low res or even the furniture.. And Link's hair was fugly.
I haven't played it, but some of the choices seemed odd. The texture on the opening bridge for example changed the rocks bricks into much smaller pieces for some reason, which makes it less memorable for me.

On the other hand, I wish they had also played a bit more with the lighting and add some proyections, so it's tricky to think about how to approach this stuff.

Mr. Capo

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They replaced the unique art in Radiant Historia with generic anime, dramatically changing some character designs in the process.
They then withheld the original art to sell as DLC...

I didn't end up buying it for that reason, which I guess is super petty. I already have the DS version anyway, I should just go finish it.

It gets worse than that, the new content goes against what the original stood for.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
the bloom in wind waker hd

even with the improvements to the game's pacing I just can't stand that version because of that bloom. hoping one day we get a WWHD release with an option to play with the original's art style in 4K.
wunksoO.jpg

Nintendo ruined the cell shaded look of Wind Waker.
That's it for me. It still looks really good, and in a few places it may even look better, but the lighting changes really do just ruin the overall look of the original.

The worst is when link opens a chest and the lighting goes super weird and makes it so obvious it's all 3D models.
I mean, it's obvious the game is 3D models, but the cell shading in the original masks that a lot and makes everything look really distinctive and vibrant. The remake sadly breaks that illusion on a regular basis when the bloom gets too strong or when the light and shadows hit Link in weird ways (like when a chest opens and the background goes dark).

I'd love it if Wind Waker would come to Switch, but I honestly don't know if I'd rebuy it if it still had the remakes artstyle (unless they add a toggle like Halo Anniversary).

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Symphony of the Night changing Alucard's voice actor to Yuri Lowenthal.

The rest of the cast does a great job replicating the charming bombast of SotN's original dub (especially Patrick Seitz's Dracula) but Lowenthal sounds so dull as Alucard.

played the newer version for the first time a few weeks ago actually. had no idea they changed the VA/dialogue until then

no big deal (per the spirit of the thread) but i was kind of perplexed why they even bothered. 'cinematics' are like 2% of the game and its cheese is what made it a gaming pop icon of sorts. high school friends and i recite the opening drac dialogue to this day

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
Not really hated, but I didn't liked how Revolution Software has changed Broken Sword 1 intro in Director's Cut by ditching "Paris in the Fall" introduction for a new sequence, which weren't that memorable and cutting some of the dialogues present in the original.

kenshee

Nov 8, 2017
To this day I haven't managed to get over the faces (and loss of detail in their emoting) in the final fantasy X remaster. ff X being one of my favorite games of all time, I own the remasters on several platforms... But as soon as I see those dead faces on Tidus/Yuna I just stop playing. Even if everything else is improved, that single part ruins it for me sadly.

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
Dark Souls port to to the switch.

It has garbage audio quality. I barely touched it because of that.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
I think it's not unreasonable in most cases to assume that a remaster of a 30fps on a much more powerful system will be 60fps, otherwise why even bother?

I don't even regard 30fps to be an "insignificant or petty" reason at all; it's one hell of a good reason that has been a deal-breaker stopping me from buying remasters on several occasions.
I think the issue here is that it was really a remake if it were a remaster with simply increased resolution on the old engine with y The old assets then no doubt it should have been 60fps but I think it being built in UE4 from the ground up and having higher quality visuals all around made it impossible to be 60fps at the time

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Why would I hate any game for a really insignificant or petty reason? No, I never hated a port/remaster for a really insignificant or petty reason.

Nov 8, 2017
I think the issue here is that it was really a remake if it were a remaster with simply increased resolution on the old engine with y The old assets then no doubt it should have been 60fps but I think it being built in UE4 from the ground up and having higher quality visuals all around made it impossible to be 60fps at the time
I get it that remakes will have much more detailed assets, but why not do it in the way that Shadow of Colossus did it? Limit the added detail so the game can hit 60fps. I doubt anyone is going to complain if the models have a few less polygons, and it's still going to look way better than the original anyway.

It's even worse when a game could be 60fps, but they cap it at 30fps anyway. Crash Team Racing runs on Switch so there's no excuse for not running 60fps on PS4 Pro and X1X.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
Don't know if it's been mentioned but Kingdom Hearts 1 an 2 hd ports I have seen criticised and hated on for removing Selphie and Kairi's panties from both games respectively.

While it also doesn't count for this question but I saw a hell of a lot of complaints for Smash Bros when they got rid of upskirts in favour of black voids of nothingness