• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 25, 2018
Just wondering, there really isn't a ton about them and no like in-depth reviews really of the parks, and with nothing better to do I started looking into videos about Tokyo Disneyland. Not that I want to go anytime soon, but I was thinking about trying to go when things get back to normal (as long as that may be). If you have gone, what did you think about it if you have been to the other parks? Some refer to it as the best experience due to the sheer amount of care put into the parks.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was planning a vacation to check out Tokyo Disney (and Japan in general) for about a year. It was supposed to happen in May 2020. I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on tickets.

I hear DisneySea is good times and my friend that's really into Disney parks always points out great merch that is much higher quality than the stuff you see in America.

ForKevdo

Nov 2, 2017
I lived in Japan for a few years and have been to both several times.

Tokyo Disneyland is basically a slightly smaller version of Anaheim Disneyland. The only major difference I can remember is that Indiana Jones is missing, because it's at Disney Sea. If you've been to Disneyland in Anaheim, you've been to Tokyo Disney.

Disney Sea is almost entirely unique, though. Given a choice between the two I would pick Sea, but that's also because I live in SoCal and can go to Disneyland whenever I want lol

3CellPO

Banned
Jul 13, 2020
Just to add, there's a great documentary about the history of the Imagineers on Disney+ that gives a lot of great info about the evolution of all the parks.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I've been to tokyo disney and disnesea a couple times each (usually during Halloween), and I really love Sea. It's just a great vibe with fun rides! I'm not really too knowledgable about theme parks, but I liked it more than any of the theme parks I'd been to in the states and more than Fuji-Q Highland.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
From what I understand, their version of the Magic Kingdom was made to be pretty close to the original but they have a different main street and better merch. DisneySea was made to be basically be the best park it could possibly be and I've heard nothing but positive things about it. Was trying to get a trip scheduled to go next year before COVID hit.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Been to Tokyo Disneyland twice and DisneySea twice. Was cool. Never been to any of the other Disney parks though :P

Everybody knows that they'll have to get fast passes and lines can get really long for the popular rides. 3+ hour standby lines seems to be normal, even on a non-busy day.

OP
OP
jukeboxhero2396
Dec 25, 2018
Apparently Tokyo Disney wants literally the best version of the rides to be built. What I mean is how the Haunted Mansiom resembles the WDW one, and not the DL one because it looks like a real mansion. It's interesting too that they kept the original attic scene in that ride.

Tokyo also kept the pirates Disneyland version with the bayou.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
all I know about tokyo disney is the snow white ride actually has an ending

the witch drops a boulder on you and you all die

demonicmurry

Oct 26, 2017
Loved Tokyo DisneySea. Great vibe, rides, clean, sea salt ice cream! Also the pirate ship isn't pirate themed at all but framed as nautical exploration for science and discovery. Really shows the cultural difference in values. Lol

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Unlike Disney the Oriental Land Company actually gives Imagineering the budgets they need.

It's why I unfortunately don't have any faith in the Splash Mountain retheme, which is a shame since it could be outstanding.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I've been to Disneysea. It's a beautiful park with amazing ambience and really good food.

That said, the rides and lines are less spectacular. The rides it shares with Disneyland, like Tower of Terror, feel slower, and its signature ride--Journey to the Center of the Earth--has a 2-3 hour wait time and actually really sucks.

Tower of Terror is worth seeing though because it's not Twilight Zone nor Guardians themed.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Tokyo Disneyland is great, though it's largely a similar experience to the American parks, Magic Kingdom most specifically. But it does have a few entirely unique rides like an AMAZING version of Winnie the Pooh and a neat Monsters Inc ride with flashlights you use to find the monsters.

Disney Sea is something else entirely, and isn't recreated anywhere else. It has some entirely unique rides, like Journey to the Center of the Earth and Sindbad's Storybook Voyage, set among some incredibly looking scenery, while also featuring a few "cloned" attractions that still largely manage to stand apart, llike Indiana Jones and Tower of Terror.

If you can only choose one and you've been to other Disney parks, choose Disney Sea. But it's worth doing both if you can. Disney Sea is a lot of people's favorite Disney park, though I personally find it a little cold and not quite as "magical" as the other parks, though I know I'm the odd one out.

Unlike Disney the Oriental Land Company actually gives Imagineering the budgets they need.

Mostly. Raging Spirits could have used a budget 2 to 3x what it was...

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Have been at Disney Paris and Disney sea in Tokyo.
I liked it, but I think it is not something you have to see or do.
Some attractions (not many) at Paris were the same as the one at sea.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Everything about Tokyo DisneySea looks and sounds like pretty much the best theme park in the world. It's the one theme park outside of Florida that I really wish I could go to one day.

What makes the Tokyo Disney parks stand out from the rest is that they're not actually owned by Disney, proper (although the same Imagineering crew from the other parks do work for them). It's all owned by The Oriental Land Company, which, as mentioned above, have a much larger budget for their parks in comparison to Disney themselves, hence why they're so much prettier looking lol

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I really want to go Disney Sea. The individual lands look beautiful:

jp_disneyseaft.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Disney Sea looks fucking awesome and I really want to to visit one day. Was actually planing on taking a trip either this year or next year and then the world went to shit. Hoping I can still go eventually

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I lived in Japan for a few years and have been to both several times.

Tokyo Disneyland is basically a slightly smaller version of Anaheim Disneyland. The only major difference I can remember is that Indiana Jones is missing, because it's at Disney Sea. If you've been to Disneyland in Anaheim, you've been to Tokyo Disney.

Disney Sea is almost entirely unique, though. Given a choice between the two I would pick Sea, but that's also because I live in SoCal and can go to Disneyland whenever I want lol
DisneySea seems genuinely amazing. I like how they rethemed Tower of Terror because Twilight Zone doesn't have as much relevance in Japan as it does everywhere else

Emobacca

Nov 2, 2017
Disney Youtube (which is shockingly a very big community) always puts over Disney Sea as the best park Disney has ever built.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Disney Sea is amazing and really unlike any other park. I've never been to the "main" park but I've heard it's more of a copy of what we have in the US.
I've been to Disneysea. It's a beautiful park with amazing ambience and really good food.

That said, the rides and lines are less spectacular. The rides it shares with Disneyland, like Tower of Terror, feel slower, and its signature ride--Journey to the Center of the Earth--has a 2-3 hour wait time and actually really sucks.

Tower of Terror is worth seeing though because it's not Twilight Zone nor Guardians themed.
Whoa journey to the center of the earth is one of my all time favorite rides. I thought the immersion and big thrill moment were both great.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Disney Sea is a lot of people's favorite Disney park, though I personally find it a little cold and not quite as "magical" as the other parks, though I know I'm the odd one out.

I completely agree with this. It is an amazing park, but it doesn't feel like a proper Disney park. More like an incredibly themed park that Disney characters happen to inhabit. It's kinda hard to explain, but while it is very impressive, I also found it to be less magical.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo Disneyland is great. It also has some of the cheapest prices for food in a theme park I've ever seen.

Jesiatha

Oct 27, 2017
I'll add another vote that DisneySea is great and almost completely different from the other Disney parks. Amazingly themed all over. Tokyo Disneyland was nice, but didn't feel different from other Disney parks.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
i went to Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea back in 2012. Got to see Captain EO before it shut down. The Haunted Mansion was totally in Japanese , no surprise there. I was more surprised by all the English at the park. I've still never been to a Disneyland here in the states but with the Star Wars park sections getting built ill be there in a few years.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed DIsneySea. I'm going to echo the other posters in saying it's pretty unique in being it's own thing compared to the other park. The aquatic show they did was pretty amazing too!

They got an animatronic type ride except it's actually charming and enjoyeable and not creepy

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
I'm not a huge fan of theme parks, but my wife is. Been an annual passholder at WDW for a long time. Disney Sea is amazing, very unique park, especially with their "main street" being a big bay. They hold parades on the water which is fun. We really enjoyed both Japan parks in general, simply because the japanese audience is much more courteous. At Tokyo Disneyland, guests would sit on the sidewalk in an orderly fashion so everyone could see the parades.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I completely agree with this. It is an amazing park, but it doesn't feel like a proper Disney park. More like an incredibly themed park that Disney characters happen to inhabit. It's kinda hard to explain, but while it is very impressive, I also found it to be less magical.

Whoa, I'm not alone! It certainly is difficult to explain, isn't it?

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Whoa, I'm not alone! It certainly is difficult to explain, isn't it?
I'm with you... there was a weird feeling we had when we went last October... something just felt off.

we had a fine time, though large parts of both parks were down for repairs... primarily we think because of Olympics prep at the time... much of Japan was undergoing maintenance at the time.

I did enjoy the fact that parts of Disneyland felt like a time capsule - like the fact that Pirates is as close to the original as you can get, and some of the other rides hadn't undergone big changes - so there's some fun Disney nerd things there.

overall, had a good time... something felt off, food was ok...expected more from the merchandise... lines were a whole thing...

Also, OP - they had just introduced mobile fast passes When we went... but they only work if you are on Japanese phones/networks... so in a way, we felt shut out from some of the benefits of the park

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
I have been to both several times but no other Disney park except Paris. You can drink at DisneySea so that gets my vote! It is also a bit nicer to walk around at night as it is the "romantic" / "adult" one.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Disney Sea is legit. Like it better than Cali Disneyland.

Don't like how crowded the Tokyo ones get though. Can get pretty absurd even on rainy weekdays.

facepalm007

Oct 26, 2017
(Speaking as a former cast member for DLR.)

They definitely put a lot of attention into the fine details into the parks compared to the rest, especially their queue design (in fact I didn't mind waiting in line for these parks since the queues were mighty impressive). The cast member interaction and overall cleanliness easily beats out the other parks. There is actually less stuff to do compared to DLR, but it's definitely more focused in the presentation. The parks are also way more spaced out compared to DLR, and also contains a lot more transition/dead spaces. In fact there were times were I felt pretty "unsettled" in the parks due to the lack of background audio.

If there was one thing I thought was a disappointment, it was the fireworks (Christmas Time). It was "OK", but it was shorter and pretty generic. The water Fantasmic and afternoon water Christmas shows were pretty cool though (Santa riding on a fishing yacht LOL). I still prefer the night-time shows/fireworks from DLR, but that's just me.

Shocking thing was the food, which was great in many ways, but oddly lacking in others. Their normal food choices were great in quality and choice and pretty reasonable in price (waaaaaaaaaay better than DLR). Magellan's was a really nice dine-in experience as well. When I went on Christmas, I was pretty shocked that their Christmas themed foods were sort of...lacking. (USJ did a better job with this I felt, at least when I went.)

Probably the biggest contrasting point between the DLR/WDW and TDS/TDL is the crowd feel. In DLR/WDW, especially in DLR, there also a feeling of being rushed and getting on all the rides and seeing all the shows. A lot of "Go go go". But in TDS/TDL there's a way more relaxing, easy going and I would even say "professional" vibe going on, especially with all the people wearing school uniforms, suits/ties, and dresses/high heels.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
I went like 10 years ago and it was the only Disney Park I ever went to. I was forced to go and I hated it. I don't know if things changed but I felt at the time if I was over 10 I would have been bored as there was not much going on. There didn't seem to be any rides for adults.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
They're awesome. Before Corona I went to DisneySea every couple of months.
The design and architecture of Sea has a really quaint feel to it. Some are Venetian in design, other areas take from medieval England and modern Broadway, but it all works together.
At sunset it also has a very romantic feel to it, as the lanterns switch on and the whole harbor has a glow.
I also really enjoy the Agraba Bazaar area, it has great curry.
The food is surprisingly affordable and tasty.
There's also loads of different popcorn stands, I recommend curry, garlic shrimp, and matcha and milk white chocolate flavours. They also serve beer/wine. And make sure to try the gyozadogs!

Last edited:

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
Go to both but Disneysea is amazing and don't forget to collect some popcorn buckets!!! (We highly regretted not getting any when we went)

also some food comes with a collectible souvenir like an actual plate or tea cup...

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Disney Sea is unlike any of the other Disney parks it's fantastic.

Also if you do not know Duffy. You will know his glory by the end of your trip.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Went to whatever one has space mountain. Scary as heck imo. Way too many students though.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
I've been to TDLR, WDW, and DLR (home resort). Loved my time at Disney Sea and Tokyo Disneyland. Already want to go back.

Tokyo Disney Sea is the most unique of all the parks I've been and it's truly an amazing time. It's just so incredibly well themed and each of the different lands feels really charming. Journey, 20000 leagues, and their Tower are all great, but the ride that surprised me the most was Sinbad's Storybook Voyage. One of the great dark rides in the vein of pirates with a incredibly catchy tune.

Tokyo Disneyland is comparable to Magic Kingdom. It's a replica of Disneyland minus some of the charm and less packed with rides. Wouldn't trade it for Disneyland in CA. Some notable unique rides, with the best ride being Pooh's Honey Hunt.

Aside from that, Tokyo's culture shines really heavily in the number of shows, pleasant interactions, and variety of souvenirs and foods. Don't sit out on shows just because you don't speak Japanese; our favorite show there was one called Out of Shadowlands that was all in Japanese and about a scout troop getting lost in the woods.

Nov 8, 2017
I went to both in 2018. DisneyLand is OK, but nothing too special compared with other Disney parks around the world (I've also been to DisneyWorld Orlando and DisneyLand Paris). DisneySea is awesome though; very unique and has some amazing rides and theming.

Tokyo Disney parks seemed to be a lot busier than other Disney parks. I normally aim to arrive at theme parks around opening time, but in both cases I arrived 90 minutes early to find people already queuing to get it, and this was during a relatively non-busy period. For this reason, it's good to do some preparation; know which Fast Passes and rides to head for first.

Another thing that stood out is the food is way better than other Disney Parks (except maybe Epcot?), since you can get all kinds of different things besides just shitty burgers and fries. My buddy who is a huge Disney fan told me that the counter-service meals at Tokyo Disney are often better than the high-end table-service meals at other Disney parks and I can definitely believe that.

People are also super polite in Tokyo, just like anywhere else in Japan. So everyone gave each other space in line while waiting to get into the parks, and during the late night show at DisneySea, everyone sat on the floor so everyone could get a good view of the show.

I was lucky enough to have my buddy on the other end of WhatsApp during most of my visits, so I kind of had a live "guide" to the parks, and it worked out great for me to know where to go and what to avoid (e.g. not wasting time on Toy Story Mania when the queues are huge and it's exactly the same as the one I already did in Orlando).

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
I've been to TDLR, WDW, and DLR (home resort). Loved my time at Disney Sea and Tokyo Disneyland. Already want to go back.

Tokyo Disney Sea is the most unique of all the parks I've been and it's truly an amazing time. It's just so incredibly well themed and each of the different lands feels really charming. Journey, 20000 leagues, and their Tower are all great, but the ride that surprised me the most was Sinbad's Storybook Voyage. One of the great dark rides in the vein of pirates with a incredibly catchy tune.

Tokyo Disneyland is comparable to Magic Kingdom. It's a replica of Disneyland minus some of the charm and less packed with rides. Wouldn't trade it for Disneyland in CA. Some notable unique rides, with the best ride being Pooh's Honey Hunt.

Aside from that, Tokyo's culture shines really heavily in the number of shows, pleasant interactions, and variety of souvenirs and foods. Don't sit out on shows just because you don't speak Japanese; our favorite show there was one called Out of Shadowlands that was all in Japanese and about a scout troop getting lost in the woods.
Out of Shadowland was my favourite show too, saw it three times. Unfortunately though they stopped it last year and the new show isn't half as good!

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
My GF and I want to go so badly. We hope to go for our honeymoon someday, but who knows. From what I've heard that resort is "Spared no expense" incarnate, because the Oriental Land Company foots the bill and lets Disney go wild.

shounenka

Nov 22, 2017
Yokohama
My wife, daughter (12) and myself visited both Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea religiously once each every year pre-COVID.

TDL is more or less the same experience you're getting in Anaheim or Orlando, but cleaner (of course).

DS, as many in this thread have already attested to, is the real deal. Food and desserts that you actually don't mind paying the money for and a fantastic balance of zones and attractions.

DS is also the only place outside of Hawaii where you can find the cutest character Disney is responsible for--Gelatoni (part of the "Duffy & Friends" family).

Someone asked about the popcorn selection; personally, I find Honey and Curry to be awesome.