• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I did on the Virtual Console but only because I cheated and used save states as I didn't know about this cheat, but as far as I can tell this boss is just impossible to beat without the triple shot holy water. But has it ever been? Did you ever pull it off?

HellBlazer

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Of course. It's not that hard, just needs some practice. I'd say Dracula is harder (without cheesing).

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Yep but I need cross boomerang, at least double shot and the confidence of getting through that hell hallway of axe armors medusa heads without taking damage.

I can count the times I've beaten death legit on one hand probably.

lordmrw

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Yes, I didn't even know about the holy water thing until I started going on the internet. I've always the holy cors/boomerang with a double or triple and had little problem.

Storminormin

Jan 14, 2018
To be honest, I've barely even tried doing otherwise. I got tired of reaching him, dying instantly, and having to start the whole level over as I don't use save states. I quickly just looked up strats for him and started using holy water.
Might go back and try it again someday, but want to see if I can beat Castlevania 3 first. That first level when you reach the castle with the falling bricks is so long, boring, and frustrating.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Yeah I beat him yesterday using only whip and axe, since I use the axe to kill the two knight before him. It's hard and frustrating but it's doable, I just wonder does his scythe appear randomly or there is timer for the scythe to spawn in the screen.
IIRC his scythes appear when he lands from a jump. This makes it at least somewhat easier since you just have to predict his jump arc and try to get to where the scythes will group attack one spot. Then either whip them all at once or dodge them all at once. I didn't even know about the holy water thing back in the day, so...

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I did on the Virtual Console but only because I cheated and used save states as I didn't know about this cheat, but as far as I can tell this boss is just impossible to beat without the triple shot holy water. But has it ever been? Did you ever pull it off?

All the time back in the day, with triple shot boomerang. But you took the risk of freezing the game and having to reset your system.

I couldn't even imagine that shit happening today, but back then we'd reset and go through it all again.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was tearing through this on the Collection last week and this unholy fucker was my roadblock.

I beat him as a kid (without cheesing save states) and I can't believe I did it back then. :)

Oct 27, 2017
I did the other night in the collection with the boomerang and my whip. Took me forever to do it this time compared to when i did it as a kid lol, but no cheesing here.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I perfected death with only a whip a couple days ago BUT with a save state just before the boss. Still took me around 15 tries ^^

Right now Im on death in CV 3, much easier indeed

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
no, no player has never beaten death another way in history, duh. (of course it has)

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I always just took the cross myself, now Creature and the Hunchback....those fuckers I really need holy water stunlock for, that stage has a pre boss checkpoint worse than death (the concept, not the previously mentioned boss...but also maybe worse than said boss)

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
I'm curious if it's just because the player isn't taking out the scythes. At the start of the clip it feels paced like the other videos and only starts to get slow after that.

It wasn't the feel so much as the audio. It felt out of place at the start, and I randomly clicked on other parts of the vid, which were also playing the tune slowly.

Doesn't really matter at the end of the day...player is obviously still skilled at the game.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Many times, I didn't even know this was a thing until the recent collection came out. I've always gone with the boomerang and whip

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

Impossible to beat without triple shot holy water? Wha?

Death is often a difficult boss, but he is always doable. I don't think that is even the hardest version of him.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I always use the Cross. Holy Water basically makes the fight trivial. Cross adds a little challenge to it without making it too difficult (cant see me ever doing a non item run on it). I don't really feels its that hard. If not for the damage output on the Sythes, it'd not really be that bad at all.

KnightimeX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I was a kid I always used the triple shot cross (if I get the powerups)
By the time I was in middle school he was pretty easy with only a leather whip.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
The biggest issue with this boss was the crashes that the scythes could cause on the original NES version.

Nothing more frustrating than a game with no saves crashing on the 2nd to last boss.

Generally I beat him with boomerang and whip. It was a very learnable fight.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I unashamedly cheese the fuck out of both Death and Dracula with save states, ain't nobody got time for all that trial and error these days.

IIRC his scythes appear when he lands from a jump. This makes it at least somewhat easier since you just have to predict his jump arc and try to get to where the scythes will group attack one spot. Then either whip them all at once or dodge them all at once. I didn't even know about the holy water thing back in the day, so...
Yeah, I just found out that you can cheese him using the holy water, after defeating him I'm curious how people manage to speedrun him, and found out just recently that holy water basically wreck any boss.

So it's his jump, I'm gonna test it tonight I guess, to see whether the landing really trigger the scyteh.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, when I was a small child. Because these were the games we had. And we either got good at them, or we played no games. And we had a LOT of time to play back then.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I beat him with only the chain whip. I never used holy water once.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did it on the Wii VC legit around 2011 and there there were no save states.

I owned the actual CV1 cart for my NES as a kid and Death was as far as I ever could get until I was on a CV binge after playing Lords of Shadow 1 and in anticipation of LoS2 (shut up, I didn't know it was going to shit the bed yet!).

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly should be using the boomerang, would make it easier to take out the annoying scythes.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thought it was hard originally when playing on the NES. Once I knew I could kill the projectiles, it was pretty easy afterwards. Found out you could do it by jumping and whipping while tryi g to avoid all the shit. Then went, oh!