• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
Now I'm not sure if I'm doing this in my sleep, but I'm almost certain youtube is adding channels to my subscriptions. It's happened three times now with three different channels all related to overwatch content . I guess it's part of their algorithm to add what they think I would like (I watch a lot of overwatch gameplay on youtube). Asif my recomended wasn't enough they have to spam my space where there are things I actually want to watch. It's pretty annoying. Anyone else noticed this?

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Not to my subscriptions but i got notifications from suggested channels.

I quickly deactivated those because if i don't request notifications from all my subscribed channels, why the fuck would i want notifications from other channels ?

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Now I'm not sure if I'm doing this in my sleep, but I'm almost certain youtube is adding channels to my subscriptions. It's happened three times now with three different channels all related to overwatch content . I guess it's part of their algorithm to add what they think I would like (I watch a lot of overwatch gameplay on youtube). Asif my recomended wasn't enough they have to spam my space where there are things I actually want to watch. It's pretty annoying. Anyone else noticed this?
I've found that random subscriptions have been added to my list but, after remembering back, it's usuall because my finger slipped in the app and I accidentally subscribed lol.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I took a look and found one or two that shouldn't be there. It seems quite likely that I accidentally subscribed. It's an easy mistake to make.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
No but the opposite has happened: Youtube unsubbing me of certain channels for no reason

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm going to turn it off soon. I have a strict "unsubscribe" policy to annoying over the top video thumbnails and openings that are overstimulating my senses. So I don't wish for Google to add them again after I just removed that visual trash from the main page.

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had issues with unknowingly gaining/losing subscriptions, but I have noticed that sometimes new videos from channels to which I subscribe don't show up in my subscriptions feed. It seems random with regard to which channel's video doesn't pop up, so I'm not sure if it's just a byproduct of having too many subscriptions and some videos falling through the cracks..

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Funnily enough I thought this the other night as I'm sure there were a couple of channels I never remembered adding. They were channels I could have followed, so nothing totally random, but ones I was still sure I hadn't added myself...

Wouldn't surprise me if they did.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Never had that happen.

Are you sure it isn't something like a channel you currently subscribed to changing their name and icon? I've had that happen once or twice.

OP
OP
Salty_Josh

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
Never had that happen.

Are you sure it isn't something like a channel you currently subscribed to changing their name and icon? I've had that happen once or twice.
Channel 4 wasn't a channel I had previously been subscribed too but I was watching a lot of their clips. I don't know if I accidentally pressed it on that channel but the other one was some channel I had never watched

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Never happened to me. Are you sure you haven't confused the Home tab (which shows your subscriptions along with videos from suggested channels) with the Subscriptions tab (which only shows subscriptions)?

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just looked and there were several in my subscriptions that I never subscribed to.
There was even one channel called "outsidexbox" that I'd never watched a video from.
I don't know WTF they were even thinking because I've been a Playstation guy since E3 2013.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I just looked and there were several in my subscriptions that I never subscribed to.
There was even one channel called "outsidexbox" that I'd never watched a video from.
I don't know WTF they were even thinking because I've been a Playstation guy since E3 2013.
Maybe you have been commenting on Xbox articles in typical Fanboy fashion? Google's automated process then picks up :"Xbox, xbone, xboners, haha xbots, lol M$". IN the end the bot concludes :"ooooooh this guy really likes Xbox.".

It's poetic justice and Karma really.

carda114

Oct 28, 2017
I noticed I was subscribed to Game Theory yesterday. I don't watch their videos. I wouldn't have been in a position to subscribe to them either. I have no idea but it made me a little annoyed.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
You're not going crazy, OP. Happened to me about 4 days ago. It was some kid with not many subscribers and about 7 videos. Not which indicated I had watched them and none remotely interesting to my tastes.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Not here. I just started actually subscribing to channels and only have a few, but it's just the ones I've subscribed to. It hints at others I've visited a lot though.

Grewitch

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I would like to say that this has been happening to me. I'm not crazy. Please believe me. I first noticed it sometime last year. And I know I didn't subscribe to them. I'm not crazy.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah but Instagram always used to do it to me. I don't sub/follow a lot so when new shit pops up on my feed it's noticeable.

Spheyr

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nope, still at the same 8 or so subscriptions I've been mostly ignoring for years. The only one I pay attention to is FoodWishes

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Youtube doesn't do that.

Maybe you are just confusing your Home page (which shows your subscriptions and anything Youtube thinks you'd like) for your Subscriptions page.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I swear I've unsubscribed from Jim Sterling at least 5 times but like a cockroach he keeps showing up.

pretty sure I'm drunk adding him

Oct 27, 2017
i haven't seen any random channels pop, but whenever i unsubscribe from a channel youtube keeps showing videos for a long time, pretty annoying

same thing with the notification bell, totally broken

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I started getting notifications for shit I'm not even subbed too and it absolutely blew my mind. Fuck off YouTube for real.

Deleted member 10060

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good mythical fucking morning keep sticking to my frontpage after I watched ONE video years ago. Didn't even finish it. I've attempted to inform youtube about this error by clicking on videos of theirs only to thumb them down, but no.

Youtube algorithms in general have proven to be terrible, so I use it less and less. Every time I go there it's either gmm or videos I've already seen. I'm not one for repeat watching, and I value my time, so no gmm.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
I found a firefox channel blocker addon which works nicely...I don't even see the thumbnails. Wish i had one dor the ios and android apps.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good mythical fucking morning keep sticking to my frontpage after I watched ONE video years ago. Didn't even finish it. I've attempted to inform youtube about this error by clicking on videos of theirs only to thumb them down, but no.

Youtube algorithms in general have proven to be terrible, so I use it less and less. Every time I go there it's either gmm or videos I've already seen. I'm not one for repeat watching, and I value my time, so no gmm.

Clicking them just recommends more. People hate watch stuff so disliking does nothing. You can hit the three dots next to recommendations and click not interested though. Then give them a reason and that'll make actual changes occur.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No but i am sure to turn off notifications once something big media wise comes up, YT has spoiled stuff a couple of times for me that way in the past even from channels i was not even subbed to.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just checked and as far as I can tell, still the same channels. That said, I get some really bizarre recommendations every now and then for things where I didn't even watch any related things for. Sometimes the algorithm links stuff through titles or even channel names which is mind boggling.
For instance, one time I watched an Age of Empires channel called Spirit of the Law, and in the sidebar suggestions it gave me links to the cartoon movie Spirit (the one about the horse).

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
i think i was going crazy or misclicked but it never happened to me before but in the last week or two i had 3 channels and don't remember ever watching. one was JourneyVEVO and one was Joe Rogan. i don't listen to either.