• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
For those people with an office job, has that ruined your ability to sit at a desktop for a long period time at your house, since you already do so at your office?

I've been working in different specialties in the IS field now for over 15 years, and when I leave work, I have no interest in touching a computer anymore. I don't even own a PC at home. My wife and I have work machines, and my son has a laptop for school, but I never use my PC unless I get a call while at home for something I need to fix for my job.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Anyone in this thread who thinks PC gaming is inconvenient needs to get an ultrathin, powerful gaming laptop (Such as the MSi GS63 and GS65). Shit's fucking amazing.

I understand if it's cost prohibitive to you but it really retains all the advantages of high end PC gaming in a super slim, lightweight and portable package that's surprisingly quiet at least in my experience. Much quieter than my PS4 Pro for sure, while being significantly more powerful.

That's not to say I don't love my PS4 for other reasons.

EDIT: Oh, and if you'd like to use said portable on your TV, comfy couch style, just plug it in like a console next to your TV via normal-ass HDMI, get a wireless Xbox One controller and a wireless media keyboard (one of those that have an integrated touchpad, just so you can type and navigate the OS easily) and you're set.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I'd say I'm losing the ability to be tethered to any stationary device, whether it be PC or console. Just recently, I breezed through Steamworld dig 2 on Switch and it was such an enjoyable experience being able to split time between docked and undocked( I was on an overseas trip and had alot of downtime to game in my hotel room).

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm almost 40 and...

tenor.gif

Could be because I've got a pretty good chair.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I always had problems getting Dual Shock 4 to work or the screen was just black when I put on Cinema Mode in Steam (Mad Max and Dark Souls 3). Often have to quit and restart. Sometimes it works directly but I never understood why.
Gaming in 60 fps is nice as long as the TV/Monitor has real 60hz support and not some 59hz bullshit. Now I have to consider the pure hazzle with bringing my desktop the hover the continent. Doesn't feel worth it honestly

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Most of my pc gaming is now done, on the couch, with a 65 inch tv. 90% of it is done with games that support controllers.

There are a few games that are in tradtional pc genres, that support controllers, that i want to check out eventually. I just wish crpgs would get there.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
First thing I do when I get home from work is turn my PC so it's a no from me.

Teppic

Oct 25, 2017
I don"t have a TV. I don't even have a couch.

Desk for gaming. Bed for handheld/phone use.

Arthois

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I lost it for almost 6 years but since late 2018 it has come back. I bought a new system, a new desk, a new chair.

I don't play the same genre of games with a desktop vs a couch console. I was missing playing shooters & turn base strategy games.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
In 2011 when I started college I almost exclusively played on PC, but now it's probably been over a year since I've even launched steam

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Consoles are just easier.

-Plop down on the couch.

-Grab Wireless controller.

- Press Power button.

-Go.

Setup? You have a power cord and a HDMI cable to plug in. You play on your super-awesome 4K HDR TV with little or no configuration settings to fuck around with.

No screwing around with detail settings to make the game work. No having to download hardware drivers to make the game work. No having to create an individual account USER/PASSWORD for every damn game you buy to make it work.

Updates? Your console and games auto-update 24/7 with or without your presence, if you so choose.

No viruses to worry about. No windows bloat. No need to download 3rd party VOIP to communicate with others.

You turn on the console and start playing. That's it. That's why people love them.

Nothing about my post suggests I don't understand why people love consoles.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
Consoles are just easier.

-Plop down on the couch.

-Grab Wireless controller.

- Press Power button.

-Go.

Setup? You have a power cord and a HDMI cable to plug in. You play on your super-awesome 4K HDR TV with little or no configuration settings to fuck around with.

No screwing around with detail settings to make the game work. No having to download hardware drivers to make the game work. No having to create an individual account USER/PASSWORD for every damn game you buy to make it work.

Updates? Your console and games auto-update 24/7 with or without your presence, if you so choose.

No viruses to worry about. No windows bloat. No need to download 3rd party VOIP to communicate with others.

You turn on the console and start playing. That's it. That's why people love them.

Ehh i have my pc set up to my TV and it's just as simple.

-Plop down on the couch
-Grab controller/mouse/keyboard to wake computer up
-Go

Setup? HDMI plugged into my reciever, power cord plugged into outlet (also ethernet cable). I can play on my super Awesome TV with little or no configuration to mess around with

Today's games auto detect optimal setting based on your setup and you can use Geforce experience to change whatever you please without going through in game options.

Updates? Since my comp stays in sleep mode they pretty much update in the background while i'm at work or sleep.

I never had a virus in the 11 years i've been doing this, so i don't know what to say. I don't mind having a true set top box so Windows is ok with me.

I wake the computer up and start playing. That's it.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I think it has more to do with cumbersome size than anything else. I'm at the point where traditional consoles feel too bulky for me. Gimme Switch + Stadia.

Abdulrahman

Oct 30, 2017
No. I'm distancing myself from consoles year after year.

I sold every console I owned except my PS3 (thanks to some exclusives)

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Hell no my office chair is the best seat in the house lol

But I have a PC hooked up to the TV just in case

Nov 1, 2017
I can concur, I've been sticking with my console for the past year. Between my job requiring me to work off my computer and the consistent "software speedbumps" as I like to call them (aka Windows update, drivers not working for whatever reason, spending time tweaking each game's options and graphics to work optimally, etc), I've come to appreciate the simplicity of a console.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'm actually the opposite. I love my triple monitor setup and while I have hooked up my PC to a TV in the past, I've found I prefer having the ability to have multiple displays running the game, twitter, discord, sometimes a guide, or a youtube video at the ready.

Parfait

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been the opposite for me lately. I can't get comfortable with a handheld on a couch, and I haven't played a console while sitting on a couch in years. OTOH i use a TV for my computer monitor and i have a really nice chair, so I have that going for me.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Me. I prefer comfy couch gaming over desktop gaming now. I have my PC hooked directly to my TV. I only use my desk for actual working on my work laptop.

Hell, even though I have a PC with a 4790K and a 1070, I still find myself buying most games on PS4 / XBO simply because I can put them in standby and walk away instantly without needing to quit out and load the game up later.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
Anyone in this thread who thinks PC gaming is inconvenient needs to get an ultrathin, powerful gaming laptop (Such as the MSi GS63 and GS65). Shit's fucking amazing.

I understand if it's cost prohibitive to you but it really retains all the advantages of high end PC gaming in a super slim, lightweight and portable package that's surprisingly quiet at least in my experience. Much quieter than my PS4 Pro for sure, while being significantly more powerful.

That's not to say I don't love my PS4 for other reasons.

EDIT: Oh, and if you'd like to use said portable on your TV, comfy couch style, just plug it in like a console next to your TV via normal-ass HDMI, get a wireless Xbox One controller and a wireless media keyboard (one of those that have an integrated touchpad, just so you can type and navigate the OS easily) and you're set.

this. I replaced an old ass DIY tower I built in 2010 with a Falcon NW TLX (hexacore, 16gb ram, 1tb nvme SSD, gtx 1070 max-q, 144hz 1080p, 1 inch thick) and its fantastic. I have a shitton of games installed all the time, it goes with me everywhere basically, and I sit on the couch or wherever and play, including 150+ hours in AC Odyssey. I carry it along with my work-issued 15" MBP and even get in some turns in whatever strategy game I'm playing while at work :)

Its my gaming PC, but anywhere I go (that has a free outlet)

Last edited:

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
I have a couch in my office and can switch between it and my office chair on the fly. It's a beautiful thing.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I have a flight stick, TrackIR, throttle and rudder petals attached to my desk. Can't do that sitting at a comfy couch.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
We've all been trained (brainwashed?) over the years to see gaming through the eyes of a console gamer - in front of a TV in a family room of sorts. That's the majority casual gaming experience.

Goes back to the Pong Paddles and Atari consoles of yesteryear, where all this began.

Heck, even the arcade cabinets in bars and diners had a more casual setting that leaned us more toward a family room type of environment, which was based on joysticks and big colored buttons.

Stuff like Keyboards and Mice were more expected in offices back then. School and Work-related situations. The places people wanted to FORGET about when they got home to play games and unwind.

It's all how we were brought up. At least me and my 40-year-old dudebros.

I was raised on consoles and arcade cabinets in the 80s and 90s. I evolved into PC gaming in the 2000s, building a monster tech THING at a desk with all the printers and scanners and speakers and keyboard and mouse and and pull-out keyboard shelves, etc.... Now I'm falling back onto my couch with just a controller and my feet up on an ottoman just scrolling through my One X games.

I use my laptop more for paying bills, shopping and social media more than anything now. I mean, I still kick around World of Warcraft, but if they made a console version of it?.... I'll play that on the console next.

c043y

Oct 25, 2017
I work from home and game from the same PC everyday and I don't mind at all, haha.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
I've actually been pushed more towards my PC as the games this gen start taxing consoles more and more. Pretty much any third party title I buy on PC now. And with Microsoft putting almost all their games (with Halo incoming) on PC I'm actually down a console now too. It's great.

RNGesus

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Yeah, but that's because I'm stuck sitting at a desk on computer all day for work. So I definitely have no desire to keep doing that when I get home.

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
Kind of. I still play PC stuff but tend to gravitate to the consoles. Playing Apex on PS4 over PC for instance. Part is the comfy couch, part is I do IT work and just dont want to be on PC or deal with fiddling with graphic settings to optimize performance, which I invariably end up doing on graphic intense games.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have a gaming laptop and i play on my TV. Perfection.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Usually I'm sitting in a chair, even when I play on console these days....when I switched to 4K/HDR I needed to get closer to the TV ;) switched from 60" to 55" (1080p plasma to 4K LCD) and my couch is like 4m away from the TV, which was fine back then, but now I'm usually on my chair between couch and TV...got a comfy leather chair for living rooms for that matter, so it's fine and my chair for PC is also a really good one (compared to the one at work ^^).

Also: no issues playing on PC while sitting on a chair, TV isn't really an option with Keyboard/Mouse (for me at least).

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I'm in that boat due to lifestyle changes. I can't sit my ass in the TV for 2-3 hours a day after working 10-12 hours and then time with gf and other fun activities. Even on weekends, my time is getting filled up. As you get older, portability becomes a godsend and necessity to play some games.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Yes, absolutely.

I even built a really great SFF PC with the intent of keeping it connected to the TV like a console, but even with apps designed around translating controller input to Windows, the usability and accessibility still isn't the same. I went back to consoles with the release of the X.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, big desk + keyboard & ergonomic mouse + high refresh rate, low-latency, bright monitor = best way to play, especially if you have a truly great chair.

I MUCH prefer KB+M for most video games. My Herman Miller Cosm is better for my back and just as comfy as most any average sofa. And a good monitor beats a good TV for gaming, in my opinion due to better refresh rate, lower input lag, and often times better color accuracy.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I'm coding all day at work on a computer. For me, I just want to get away from the computer when I'm home. So consoles it is.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I've gotten that feeling more and more in the last few years. It's part of why I got through so much trouble when it comes time to update my PC. I know I need to but the desire to really play games on it is a hassle at times. Either I'm not comfortable or I just don't want to have to deal with settings to get something to run well. Since I use and work on computers all day long the last thing I want to see when I get home is a computer.

Exto

Jan 2, 2019
Same here. I have two gaming PC's and yet I end up sitting on my couch playing consoles, PS4 and Switch. For aesthetic and connectivity reasons I can't directly nor remote connect my PC to my TV so I have to play in respective rooms, and I always prefer my living room than my gaming room.