• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I hope this never happens to me. Going into game development will probably do this to me but I'll never give it uuup

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Actually the opposite. I want options, mods, tweaks. The older I get, the more important this gets.

Also, the older I get, the more pain I suffer from sitting in a couch. I've tried three different ones plus "comfy chairs" and nothing but a desk chair works well for me. Playing games in bed is completely out of the questions since many years. I moved my most used consoles to my desk so that I can play them more, since I still have them for exclusives.

Rhaya

Oct 25, 2017
PS , you can hook your PC up to your TV and enjoy your PC games while lying cozy in your sofa .

Have best of both world s .

Jul 26, 2018
It's crazy because for me, it's the opposite and i'm only 22 atm.

Now I really have insane aiming on PC FPS games like Battlefield, COD, Titanfall 2, etc. Meanwhile for Xbox and PS4... yea.. rip my controller skills. I don't think i'm ever gonna go back to console FPS games except exclusives.

I just love the PC desktop which I received last Holiday season. The feeling of Sitting close, concentrating, able to take better control of my aiming with my mouse, etc.

Kalasai

Jan 16, 2018
France
Play pc only for many years. Sold my PC recently. I play only on PS4 for now. The couch IS more appael to me now.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
This is me. I played a ton of PC games in college and when I was younger, but these days it feels like a chore.

It's much easier for me to just sit back on my couch and play something on the console. My PC is only used for exclusives now.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Even as a child, I've always played video games on a chair. I'm a weirdo who is NOT comfortable playing in the living room, a couch or anything like that. I've been working an office job for 11 years now and nothing has changed regarding that. I played my PS4 and play my PC the same way. The only thing I play any other way are my portables. That's pool towel or bed gaming.

Deleted member 35446

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Complete opposite. I do programming at work and come home to a comfy-ass good chair. Couches can exacerbate postural problems long-term, and aren't typically as adjustable as a good chair over the session (important to reduce fatigue).

Spend $1k on your ass and back ergonomics and you'll prefer to play even your console games on a desktop.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Not me. And I need to spend all day staring a screen at work. In fact, the few hours I use to play games, it is mostly on PC.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
Yes I wish I could just play in my couch on the big TV but shooters with a controller is terrible to me. I'd need a thingamajig to use kb/m on the couch and that just seems cumbersome and a hassle. So I put up with the desk/chair.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
My desire has only increased. I'm sick of most console bs, paid online, quickly outdated tech, etc. More and more I game exclusively on PC.

Jun 1, 2018
Upland
Playing on my desktop is the only way I won't fall asleep, haha. I find if I'm on the couch playing PS4, or relaxing playing my Switch I will have the urge to take a nap because of how relaxed I am.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
I think one factor may be that I now have an office job which requires me to sit at a desktop all day, which makes me want to stay away from that setting when I'm chilling in my home.

For those people with an office job, has that ruined your ability to sit at a desktop for a long period time at your house, since you already do so at your office?

I still pretty much only play mainly on PC, but I can feel this already. I spent all my day in front of a computer to arrive home and stay in front of another PC to play some Apex and Paladins. I'm starting to appreciate more mobile gaming on 3DS and smartphones and lately I've been moving my PC to the big TV in the house to play everything but shooters, it's been a pleasent experience. Also helps dusting off the old DDR mat and give it a go on the TV.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
The only games I played at my desktop were MMO's and anymore they are stale as fuck so its couch pc gaming for me now.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I gave console-only gaming a chance starting last year after my GPU broke but it's not been doing it for me anywhere near as much as gaming (mostly) on PC did. It's been alright, though, and I still play at a desk on a monitor because I prefer sitting up close to my screen anyways.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My job doesn't end when I get home so I frequently find myself sneaking gameplay in in between late night work at my PC. The idea of using any of my limited free time to relocate and get setup at a console knowing I'll need to swap back afterwards, when switching games is such a chore...

Less at my fingertips, physical relocation, worse graphics, worse selection, back support suited for lounging not sitting up to game, and basically no real pluses unless it's a fighting game for the online population.

RDR2 and Spider-Man are the only console game I've played recently, outside of Smash on the Switch.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Agreed - I just don't like sitting at the computer. However, my TV is right next to the desktop so nowadays I just play on the couch with the TV. I bought a tray to use for games that don't support controllers. Has worked perfectly for me so I don't have to abandon PC gaming

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I have my PC in my front room hooked up to my TV, I use a wireless mouse and keyboard but mostly controller as I play single player games mostly.

It's more comfortable for me and I enjoy it more, that's just my personal choice though.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mostly play on consoles, but I have to play on PC if it's a shooter.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Switched to consoles only in my 40s - about 5 years ago - and for a few years before that was only on PC for WoW. My recliner is perfect for long sessions.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
I pretty much stopped playing on my pc all together and primarily use my PS4. Not sure if it's age or what but I feel the need to get away from my pc as much as possible. Playing games on my pc honestly starts to feel a lot like work for some reason.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
there isn't much a difference for me between playing on a desktop or a system like a ps4.

I have a controller so I can play it on my couch/chair anyways. I do find myself gaming less on pc only because of my Switch. Which allows me to play indies and other games I don't feel the need to play sitting in front of a monitor.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
In my decades of gaming, I've noticed it's more the games that shape my preferences than the seating - I'll sit where the games take me. I prefer a desk for optimal mouse+KB.

MrCinos

Oct 26, 2017
Complete opposite for me, can't be bothered to put disks or even just boot consoles now. Or charge portable consoles, I'm tired enough doing that with the phones. Desktop which is up and running all the time while I'm at home is much more convenient to me.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
I went full console 2 years back, I prefer sitting on the couch and kicking back after work since I spend my daytime working at the computer in the office. Plus I like being more accesible to my fiance even when if Im playing something.

Oct 27, 2017
I will never understand this... it is very easy and affordable to set up your PC for comfy couch gaming, even if you want your PC in another room.

This is part of the massive benefit of PC, the ability to customize and set up how you want. Why do so many people ignore it?

Because the min the PC enters the family room (i.e. a true multi-user environment) Cracks start to show. As a single user a PC is potential bliss, add family members of varying ages and tech-savvy and it starts to fall apart quickly when compared to consoles.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
This happened to me when I was a lot younger. Kinda got sick of having to tweak settings a lot of the time because of bad PC ports and eventually I jumped into console gaming in 2012ish. Nowadays I work on my PC and run a Plex server on it and game on my consoles, with the exception of a few games every now and again (gotta replay Deus Ex somehow ^.^)

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
If I could get something compact like the Corsair One's form factor AND performance, I'd own a desktop right now.

I get that the high price point accounts for a lot of custom engineering that goes into that thing's cooling system, but it is just way too expensive.

Mini-ITX boards don't seem capable of reaching the same spec without some highly custom engineering done by the user and standard ATX cases are just too bulky for my tastes. I really wish I could get something high performance and discrete without breaking the bank.

aliencowz7

Apr 24, 2018
I have a pretty legit gaming PC and barely use it at all outside of the MMO genre, find it uncomfortable and dont enjoy kb and mouse controls. Tinkering with settings, updates and troubleshooting errors are a huge hassle that I dont want to deal with and considering a large part of my time gaming is spent on Japanese developed games I dont have confidence in the quality of any given PC port.

Pretty much just MMOs and the occasional PC exclusive for me despite having a PC far stronger then my consoles, and I've been moving far more in that direction over the years.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. If anything I spend more time in front of my computer nowadays. It doesn't affect me at all that I sit at a desk at work.

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
I'm the exact opposite. I don't really like watching TV that much so haven't owned one for years. Pretty much all of my gaming is done on my PC now.

Impetuous Imp

Oct 27, 2017
Define "older." I'm in my 40s and my Switch, PS4, Wii U, PS3 and Xbox One are all connected to my gaming PC/monitor via HDMI. I flip between all of them for gaming. I bought a comfy, highly adjustable desk chair. All my gaming "clutter" is on shelves at my desk and in my office and not in the family room. I can pause a game and look over to the other monitor to watch a video, answer an instant message or email, schedule an appointment or look something up without having to take my headphones off. I can grind in a game while simultaneously watching a twitch stream and chatting on discord. Everything is an alt-tab away.

It feels far more convenient, comfortable and easy for me to have it all at my desk than elsewhere.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
In the desktop vs. couch battle, desktop wins. As big as my TV is and as comfortable as our couch is as well, I just don't like sitting on it 8-10' from my TV to play games. I like sitting close. Just personal preference. Watching movies, TV, etc. then the big TV wins. But games, I like to see the tiniest details, and I also like sitting next to my PC so that I can reference stuff or whatnot.

But in the desktop vs. handheld arena, the Switch will generally win that fight.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I literally stopped playing Metro Exodus on Ultra 1440P with raytracing at 60fps few minutes ago while lying on my couch and I am typing this post from that same couch on a nice plasma..

Yes playing at desk after all day at work ain't that great for me but I see no reason why I shouldn't enjoy benefits of PC gaming anyway

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Since I got my desktop on black Friday I've been pretty much glued there. My ability to marathon game feels like it has doubled. Now I also don't feel like I'm monopolizing the living area when I play my games (as had been the case in the past where I would boot up a game & my roommate would go chill in his room).