• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lakershead22

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
So I pick up a copy of Fire Emblem at gamestop on Monday and today i decided I was going to open it. After I did there was no game cart. Has anyone had any experience with that? What did you do? What would you do?

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Sounds like they just didn't put the cartridge in box at check out. Does GameStop still do that thing where they don't actually sell sealed games? Even new games are opened and kept in envelopes behind the counter?

In any case, I would go back immediately and complain. I imagine you will have a difficult time though because you left the store with the case. Not that you would have known. šŸ˜“

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't say that I have.

You lose absolutely nothing by doing the obvious thing and going back to where you bought it from. They're not likely to call you a liar I don't think, they can afford to give you what you're owed.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
This definitely happened to be once a couple years back, but damned if I can remember the game.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought a PS3 console once that was missing the HDD. I called them up and they held another one for me so I could exchange. Not only that, but they gave me an upgrade to 500GB at no extra cost.

I imagine if you call and explain, you'll have a similar experience.

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
No but fuck stores that sell unsealed games and keep the discs in a drawer. Monsters.

OP
OP
Lakershead22

Lakershead22

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Sounds like they just didn't put the cartridge in box at check out. Does GameStop still do that thing where they don't actually sell sealed games? Even new games are opened and kept in envelopes behind the counter?

In any case, I would go back immediately and complain. I imagine you will have a difficult time though because you left the store with the case. Not that you would have known. šŸ˜“

That is my fear. It has been 5 days since I bought it and I feel they'll think I am lying to them. It was a shrink wrapped copy so it wasn't the one they open for themselves. Unless they re-wrapped it.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Big reason to check what you are given in store especially at Gamestop for this alone, especially if you buy a used product and the salesperson didn't fully show you the disc condition.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
That is my fear. It has been 5 days since I bought it and I feel they'll think I am lying to them. It was a shrink wrapped copy so it wasn't the one they open for themselves. Unless they re-wrapped it.

I knew somebody whose family had a shrink wrapper and would return their "unopened" software to stores. Usually department stores. They'd buy the game, take out the disc, then seal the package and return it. It was really scummy. I have wondered if this is why GameStop actually opens so many of their "new" games. Funnily enough, though, they don't seem to have done that here... But I wonder if somebody returned an "unopened" game.

That sucks a lot, I'm sorry that happened.

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. It used to happen often when they sell the last copy and forget to put it in the case.

Also back when they used to shrinkwrap used game cases.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
not gamestop but my bro got mk vs dc as a gift from bestbuy and it didnt have a disk

Oct 27, 2017
I ordered some new 3ds games from gamestop last month and they sent me open boxes sealed with tape. I heard stories of them doing this in stores but I didn't know they did that to online orders too.
It was the first time I bought anything from gamestop in over a decade, what a way to guarantee I'll never buy from them again.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
That is what I am gonna do today. It was a shrink wrapped copy but I do fear they'll think i am a liar lol
This happens. Starlink copies last year were sold without cards at Best Buy specifically, iirc.

I knew somebody whose family had a shrink wrapper and would return their "unopened" software to stores. Usually department stores. They'd buy the game, take out the disc, then seal the package and return it. It was really scummy. I have wondered if this is why GameStop actually opens so many of their "new" games. Funnily enough, though, they don't seem to have done that here... But I wonder if somebody returned an "unopened" game.

That sucks a lot, I'm sorry that happened.
It would be easy to tell, wouldn't it? Actual shrinkwrap, the shitty, cheap kind, is very different from a proper y-seal plastic wrap that usually has that "tear off" part integrated somewhere. You know the proper wrap that you can almost fold out if you get your fingers between the folded bits. Not the shrinkwrap that is a perfect airtight sealed plastic bubble tightly wrapped around it (that's the shitty cheap one I assume you get with a shrink wrapper you can buy).

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My favourite was when they sent me the wrong game in my Wind Waker case:

51OgM8Q0-IL._SY445_.jpg

Then I called customer service where they proceeded to send me Wind Waker once again, ā™„

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
It would be easy to tell, wouldn't it? Actual shrinkwrap, the shitty, cheap kind, is very different from a proper y-seal plastic wrap that usually has that "tear off" part integrated somewhere. You know the proper wrap that you can almost fold out if you get your fingers between the folded bits. Not the shrinkwrap that is a perfect airtight sealed plastic bubble tightly wrapped around it (that's the shitty cheap one I assume you get with a shrink wrapper you can buy).

Who knows. It probably depends a lot on how much the stock associate cares. I'm sure they're trained in loss management but if it's not on their mind they'd probably not even bat an eye. I have no personal experience with it so i don't know the answer. He was not a friend of mine.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017

I had this happen to me last gen at Best Buy of all places when I bought NFS: Shift lol I had the same fear like "Oh shit they won't believe me" but I still brought it back and explained what happened, I remember the customer service clerk just laughed and said that happens from time to time believe it or not.

Ever since then I shake a game case to make sure lol I know that doesn't work with carts though.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I've had a friend who swore this happened to him back in the PS2 days.

I only go there if I absolutely have to which is like once a year if that?

Jun 26, 2018
Multiple times throughout my childhood, total nightmare scenario for a socially awkward kid like myself.

Also tried getting PS3 disc instead of Xbox 360 disc when buying a 360 multi-platform game.

Solution is just to go back to the store as soon as possible receipt in hand and hope they remember you.

Nov 30, 2017
Shit does happen OP. I once bought a $9 network adapter at staples that was an empty box.

They essentially called me a liar which infuriated me. I said exactly "get real dumbass, if I wanted to pull this to get something free it would cost more money"

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
It has happened before with used games. I went back to the store and they gave me the game.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
When I buy a game in store I always open it I has something like this happen to me years ago when I was a kid when I bought super Mario advance 4 super Mario bros 3 for GBA

ThirtyFive

Oct 28, 2017
It happened to me with StarCraft Ii a while after release...

I took it back and they gave me another copy, but I remember being afraid they would think I stole the first one or something.

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
That sucks, worst thing that happens to me is a buy a used game that won't work, looks like the previous owner took a pen to it or something.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Yes -_-

I was on vacation and bought Pikmin 2 for GC. The clerk forgot to put the disc in and I didn't find out till I got home. Then the price of the game went way up so I've never owned Pikmin 2 :(

Oct 27, 2017
That is what I am gonna do today. It was a shrink wrapped copy but I do fear they'll think i am a liar lol
When I worked for GameStop the way we could check is by doing a quick inventory. If someone came in with a receipt and say they bought a game for us and we had an extra copy of that game, that would be logical. However in your situation it's a little weirder. Do you know if it was a factory sealed game or a resealed one?

Max A.

Oct 27, 2017
I once bought a Blu-Ray of The Great Escape at Best-Buy for like $5 end the thing was empty. I thought it was pretty funny.

OP
OP
Lakershead22

Lakershead22

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Update:

So I went back to the gamestop I bought my Fire Emblem 3 houses copy from. They told me that since they can't verify my story then they couldn't help me out. They told me to call Nintendo.

I called Nintendo and they told me that my situation is unlikely because they weigh the products to make sure everything is packaged.

Now I'm calling gamestop customer service to see what they have to say. Sigh

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Update:

So I went back to the gamestop I bought my Fire Emblem 3 houses copy from. They told me that since they can't verify my story then they couldn't help me out. They told me to call Nintendo.

I called Nintendo and they told me that my situation is unlikely because they weigh the products to make sure everything is packaged.

Now I'm calling gamestop customer service to see what they have to say. Sigh
Shoot, sorry OP. Good luck with customer service though, the few times I've had to call it was over an hour just to get off of hold. Truly some of the worst cs I've experienced.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Never at GameStop, but a long time ago I bought Gran Turismo 2 at launch at a Wal-Mart, sealed and even with the CD box edge sticker games came with back then. Opened it and the game discs had been replaced with Bruce Springsteen CDs. Some joker in the printing factory / store presumably had switcheroo'd the game for an early copy. Thankfully, the customer service desk did believe me and swapped it for another copy, as I was freaking out thinking I was screwed.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
that is one weird situation. Nothing has happened to me like that fortunately.

If it was still shrink wrapped new. Somehow the factory worker just forgot to place the cart into the case. But Nintendo saying they weight the products is a bit funny since the cart barely weighs anything, although maybe they do

It would be hard for Gamestop to verify you just didn't take out the cart and return it to the store and complain you didn't get a cart with the case. So it makes sense they would direct you to Nintendo. Hopefully your situation gets resolved successfully. But it will be a hard case to prove.