• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
Just wondering how long it takes? Seems different for everyone.

Id imagine ESO to be the "impossible" one

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Took me wanna say 70 hours? And I did all the main quests(Civil War, DLCs, guild quests). Game is truly one of the best.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Define "beat". None of the Elder Scrolls games are particularly long if you just power through the story but there's so much other stuff to get lost in. If you just race to the credits you miss like 95% of the game.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
I beat oblivion and skyrim.
No idea how long, but it was over 100 hours for sure.

ignata

Dec 26, 2017
Denver
I've finished Oblivion and Skyrim. Oblivion I was 90 hours in and decided I should just finish the story and then I kept playing. Skyrim I got about 15-20 hours in and wanted to get it over with so I finished it and never played it again. I want to make another attempt at playing some more of Skyrim, but I had way more fun with Oblivion.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
It's not worth finishing the main quest in Skyrim imo, it's not one of the better quests in the game.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
it's different for everyone because 'finishing' an elder scrolls is a pretty subjective thing

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Isn't spending days installing mods and then booting it up for 15 minutes once considered clocking an Elder Scroll's game?

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
It doesn't necessarily mean doing every single quest ever. Doing just the main quests it doesn't take that long.

The numbers are averaged out, as well.
Completionist is self reported but is meant to refer to collecting and completing all side content alongside the main missions. Skyrim can be well over that but it depends on play style and averages. So that site is just saying among people who claim to be completionists, they ended up around 200 hours.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Beat Morrowind, took m like 70 hours. Beat Oblivion, took me like 70 hours. Beat Skyrim, took me like 300 hours :) Well most of that time was spent just galavanting around the world. I didn't actually beat the game until the updated version came out. Buckled down and mainlined the story. Didn't take me that long, maybe 30 hours? and I did a little bit of side content.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Completionist is self reported but is meant to refer to collecting and completing all side content alongside the main missions. Skyrim can be well over that but it depends on play style and averages. So that site is just saying among people who claim to be completionists, they ended up around 200 hours.
I know.

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
I could probably run thru each of the main storylines within 50 hours for the single player games.

For the MMO, it's an MMO so it never completely ends of course.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
No one has ever finished any of the Elder Scrolls games. It's impossible because there's so much content.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I beat Morrowind and Oblivion, as well as their expansions.

Skyrim just got so boring with the connect the dots style gameplay. Still haven't beat it.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Never beat Skyrim and I have only beat Oblivion once despite putting hundreds of hours into them lol.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
lol. I just realized the only mainline Elder Scrolls I did not beat is Morrowind.
The first one is really exploitable. Daggerfall required a bunch of guides, but I remember Monk being indestructible and OP (it's been a few years, I don't remember much tbh).
Daggerfall is a weird one because you can play it forever technically, but the main quest is rather short. You have this unreasonably huge world full of the same random quests. I love it as a sort of failed experiment.
I could never get into Morrowind and I tried a couple of time.

Oblivion and Skyrim are quite linear RPGs, they just have a lot of sidequests, but if you play them 10 times, character build aside, you will more or less do the same things.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Nah. Trying to beat Skyrim is like trying to get to Slaanesh's palace in his realm of chaos.

You start off with your goal in mind, but eventually you fall victim to the various distractions that are offered. You waste away for eternity while doing side quests.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
It's funny

but despite like a combined 1000 hours between Oblivion and Skyrim, I have never actually beaten either of their main story lines

Like Oblivion was so silly because I beat pretty much every single other major quest line and several large mods and never did anything for the main story

With Skyrim, I mostly avoided the story because I thought dragons spawning in the overworld would be annoying

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I've beat Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim.

Morrowind is the best btw.

You can complete the main storyline on each game in a week or so depending on how much you play. All elder scrolls games have so much content outside of the main quest that contribute to a 100 hr play through, but if you just do the main quests it doesn't take very long.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Big time. Beat Skyrim a couple of times (PC with hundreds of mods and 360 at launch) and got all 1,500 achievement points from Oblivion and the expansion. Amazing games.

They're meaty for sure but kinda as long as you want them to be. They're not too crazy if you just do the main quest but who does that? A lot of the best stuff is side content.

OP
OP
hwarang

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny

but despite like a combined 1000 hours between Oblivion and Skyrim, I have never actually beaten either of their main story lines

Like Oblivion was so silly because I beat pretty much every single other major quest line and several large mods and never did anything for the main story

With Skyrim, I mostly avoided the story because I thought dragons spawning in the overworld would be annoying

I have about 80 hours in ESO and I haven't even touched the 1st story quest lol

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I finished Skyrim with about 200 hours, but did a LOT of side stuff before and after.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Skyrim took me about 100~ hours for the main storyline + a ton of extra stuff along the way that made the game feel really full.

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
I have beaten every Elder Scrolls game and have hundreds of hours in each of them. It will take 100-200 hours to do everything noteworthy in these games but you could probably beat the main quest in like 20 hours if you just rush through it on a first playthrough. Most of the playtime in the long run will come from making new character builds and moving on to making other characters once you get bored playing as them. You don't have to 100% complete the game to enjoy it.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Done skyrim, oblivion and ESO. As others have said, the MSQ often is trash and the best content lies elsewhere. That said, ES games often have poorly written stories and don't really have fun quest design IMO. The draw has always been a sandbox for mods.

In the case of ESO the draw was the pvp if anything

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
You mean you can actually beat the game? I thought you only install mods and run around to see how pretty it looks ;P

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I've played Skyrim for over 1000 hours on all platforms but I've only ever beaten the main quest once. Not because it's difficult or overly long, but because there's just so many distractions and so much better side content. Also (I think?) clearing the main storyline will decrease the rate at which dragon encounters spawn, and I almost always need to unlock more shouts.

Also only ever beat Oblivion once, because all the gates to Dagon's realm are destroyed when you do, and those Sigil Stones are incredible for enchanting.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, proud Skyrim platinum owner on PS3. I was one of the lucky few PS3 players who never had a major problem with the game.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I would consider myself having "beat" TES 1-5. The old spin-offs (Battlespire, Redguard, etc) and TESO, no.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
The first time I beat Skyrim O was around 220hrs in. I've had various runs since then that were about the same time.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
You can technically "beat" Oblivion or Skyrim's respective main quest arcs in a few hours if you critical path it.
Now, if you actually want to dive head-first into their settings and curated content, then you can spend hundreds of hours with them.

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
Beat Skyrim and i wish i didn't, mediocre ass game. In hindsight it's funny the comparisons at the time with Dark Souls.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I have hundreds of hours in Skyrim and all the DLC, but I never even touched any of the dlc story, or finished Skyrim base game. It's all about mod loot, gameplay enhancement, locations, and graphics.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Just wondering how long it takes? Seems different for everyone.

Id imagine ESO to be the "impossible" one

I've played Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim until the credits.

Morrowind was probably the longest of the three games. Oblivion was the biggest grind ... all the quests start getting really samey towards the end. Skyrim had a nice pace, lots of fun sidequests, and it never got boring to me. No idea how long I spent on each game, 50 hours or more, certainly.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I recently did Skyrim, plus all DLC, side content, and three major mods plus all their content. Came to about 120 hours.

New Vegas took about 80 hours with just vanilla content.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
It took me about 30 hrs or so ...when I finally buckled down and did it . It is INSANELY easy to get side tracked from the main missions .

Oct 25, 2017
My thing with BGS games in general, but Skyrim in particular, is I inevitably spend ~100 hours downloading and curating hundreds of mods and figuring out how to get them to play nice together, and by them time I'm finally ready to play I'm already kinda burned out.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even remember if i bothered with Oblivion and Skyrim but I've definitely beaten Morrowind at least two or three times, one time a nascent speedrun back in the days when I would try and sequence break the everlasting shit out of those types of games

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
I beat Oblivion and Skyrim.

I spent 108 hours on Skyrim and a couple years later when the VR version came out I beat it in exactly 108 hours again.

Not sure how long Oblivion took.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I beat the main quest in Skyrim and then all the faction quests.

The trick was to play on console so I wasn't distracted by 10,000 mods.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
I finished the main quest in Skyrim at around 80 hours, I think? And I eventually finished the main story in ESO, too.

Oblivion, I gave up on because I'm too much of a completionist for my own good and completely clearing out all the oblivion gates got so monotonous.