• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 11, 2017
Is it recommended I grab the DLC as well from the get go or can that wait until after I tackle the base game?

Kalamour

Oct 25, 2017
Base game, yes, but not the DLCs. It was a lot of fun but I was done after that. I think it took me around 110h.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i think i was at 80% or something at 130+ hrs

i don't think i played the fuck out of a game so much since Dark Souls or Skyrim. something about the gameplay loop was really relaxing for me

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, 100 % done. All main quests, side quests,"?" marks and DLCs done. Took me around 130 hours.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
I got the platinum in about 80 hours. Did follow guides for some stuff though. Still need to start the Atlantis DLC, but I'm taking a long break from Odyssey.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
100% before the DLC, got the platinum but I'm not going back in for the new stuff. Maybe about 120 hours?

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
100% the map (did not get the full achievements but did everything I could see on the map) and really the answer is no it is not worth it. I think 100% the non-repeatable quest lines is absolutely worth it as there are some real gems and I think it is absolutely worth doing all three major quest lines and seeing them to the end for all three endings.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Just about 100% cleared out the map (theres a few story-gated places i never visited)but never finished the story. Touched down at that first dock after you leave the first island and went "i wonder how much of this world i can see before doing the first proper mission". Turns out all of it, theres nothing stopping you from just swimming to landmasses. Did every PoI/side mission i could and then finally like 100 hours later went back to do the story. Got to the point where you unlock the post-release Greece Stories sidemissions or whatever theyre called, and those specifically really dragged for me & were a slog. Felt overall satisfied with the game (i basically cleared out the map and all) so i put it down after that

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm Playing Origins right now and I'm at about 45 hours and I have done most of the side quests and all the main quests, and I still have the final few main quests and all the DLC to go

Is Odyssey several times bigger than Origins?

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Have the platinum. Beat all the story quests and side quests, and did New Game+ and beat the game again. Have beaten the arena and all the DLC. Have all the in-game-available legendary weapons and gear, plus most of what was worth getting with orichalcum (haven't bought anything from the store, but have a substantial amount of it anyway through orichalcum purchases).

Also at level 99 with all abilities maxed. That includes the mastery levels - I was already at a ridiculously high mastery level before the various Story Mode glitches, but now I have every stat pushed as far as it can go. In topics here I have to make a conscious effort to talk about the game as most other people will play it, rather than the game I play where a crazy-overpowered character wanders effortlessly through the world.

I'm missing a few DLC and Lost Tales trophies, either because they don't really match how I play or, in one case, the game glitched and didn't give me the trophy. I don't care about any of that and won't be getting those trophies ever.

I don't have every question mark done because there's no point. Between the original playthrough and New Game+ I probably have done most of them by accident, but have no way of tracking that. I suggest that nobody play the game this way. If you wander into a camp or you're nearby and have a few moments to complete it, then that's a fun diversion from whatever else you're doing, but if you're going out of your way to complete them it'll just become tiresome.

Also - fuck swimming down to get all the underwater achievements
Swimming isn't so bad, the best thing to do is to get Poseidon's trident and make yourself an underwater build for one of your build slots and do everything at once. Most of your abilities and attacks don't work underwater so equip gear that just has basic attack bonuses above everything else, and you'll one-shot any sharks. The trident will let you breathe underwater - you don't really ever need it because by default you get lots of time, but it does remove any time pressure.

Also you can fast travel while underwater. It's a little thing, but it might help to know that once you swim somewhere, you don't have to worry about getting back.

Is it recommended I grab the DLC as well from the get go or can that wait until after I tackle the base game?
I'd say play through the base game until you know whether you want more or not. The first DLC pack (the Legacy of the First Blade) isn't very good. You get some nice stuff from it, but it's poorly-written and even the best quests don't do anything notably different from the base game. The second pack, the Atlantis DLC, offers new map areas (with big aesthetic differences from the base map) plus a pile of new enemies, weapons, gear and abilities, so that's generally considered better. However the base game will keep you going for a long time.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I invested 130hrs into it. Bought the season pass and realized I'd had enough- it was even a bigger grind than the main game.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely agree that the game was too big. After completing the main game and all the DLC I was at just shy of 190 hours. Compared to when I quit Origins after beating the main game and expansion content at about 90. I think Origins was a much better in terms of size. By the time I stopped playing, I was satisfied and not sick of it, which was the case with Odyssey.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This might've been one of the most overwhelming open worlds ever. That's not a good thing. I enjoyed the time I put into it but eventually I just got tired of traversing the map.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Make sure you guys unlock every fast travel point you come across. It will save you SO MUCH TIME.
51 hours in now and I'm mostly just playing side missions. Some parts I still haven't discovered yet. :O

Briar36

Nov 27, 2017
Manhattan
I completed every side mission (not hourglass ones though) and question mark on the map (besides 2 that needed keys) after gaining access to the ship and destroying the Megaris blockade or whatever.

Didn't even have the spear upgrade the whole time before I finally started the story.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Make sure you guys unlock every fast travel point you come across. It will save you SO MUCH TIME.
51 hours in now and I'm mostly just playing side missions. Some parts I still haven't discovered yet. :O
This is good advice. Game is still way too long, though. If the next AC has a map this big, I may not bother.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I did 100% in AC Origins (didn't 100% the dlc's though).
It took about 101 hours.

methodiczero

Oct 27, 2017
San Diego
I just hit 70hrs and and only have 50%of the trophies. I am almost done with all the Cultists, but then its on to the side quests and underwater locations. This game is incredible

Oct 28, 2017
It's part of why I liked Origins more than Odyssey. Yeah, it was still a huge game with a ton of content, but you could 100% everything in like 100 hours, which is a lot, but not insane for an open world game like that. Odyssey would take twice as long with substantially more filler. Origins just felt so much more focused.

Last edited:

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
I did. Platinum'd, 100% missions and DLC, 100% maps. Probably took about 180 hours.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
I played it for 87 h, it says I have completed 94 % of the main progression.
I also played through the Atlantis episodes, which I finished a few days ago actually. I was a bit disappointed in the ending, both the main story and the Atlantis expansion. Still loved the game though, but not sure when I will have the urge to go through another AC. This was my first one since ACII: Brotherhood lol

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
As someone who got the platinum and thoroughly enjoyed the game: it's about 80 hours too long.

I would have enjoyed the game just as much if it was 50-60 hours long. It doesn't need to be the ridiculously large undertaking that it is.

I think I could say this about a ton of open world games honestly, to be fair though it sounds like Odyssey was especially heinous in this regard.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Yes, I have platinumed Assassin's Creed Odyssey, and all the DLCs (even the tiny Tales of Greece quests). 100% complete.
I also have platinumed Assassin's Creed Origins and all the DLCs as well, 100% complete too.

AMA.

criesofthepast

Crash Test Dummy
Oct 25, 2017
Put in about 80 hours. That is without fail the max burnout rate for me. About 65-75 hours with the last few Assassins Creed games and I am done. Odyssey was a hell of an experience probably my favorite after to AC2. I usually 100% them but this one was just too big for me.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
You had to do this in Origins to get an achievement, I gave up after doing one region and realising how much of a monster it would be.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I did, but I did a lot of it while listening to a few podcast series. I found it a really nice game to unwind with. Probably about 240 hours or so, and I really quite enjoyed it. There is still some content from the DLC, both paid and free, that I've done not yet, but for the base game, yup, 100%.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
You had to do this in Origins to get an achievement, I gave up after doing one region and realising how much of a monster it would be.
The "Complete All Locations" trophy actually wasn't present in Odyssey. There's one for setting foot in all regions, which is arguably even more annoying given the way the game map denotes unexplored areas. Sometimes the default "you haven't been here yet" map shading isn't obvious enough. Some regions are so small you need to zoom the map way in to differentiate.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Shit no. Even doing all the side-quests and hunting for all the ? (without "clearing" them) took fucking forever. By the time I was finishing the Atlantis DLC, despite having played it many months after the main game, I was fed up with the game.

Oct 27, 2017
100% of achievements is doable and fun.

100% clearing the map is absurd and absolutely not worth your time.

Agreed. If you got the plat/all achievements and then kept up with DLC when it released it was actually a lot of fun. I still feel like the game is massively bloated though and they need to massively scale down AC games in the future. My guess is they won't. Still love the series though and am excited for whatever comes next. I do think taking 2-3 years between entries is the smart thing to do

NoirLamia777

Jan 13, 2019
Just the platinum i definitely got burnt out after that and just recently been playing the dlc here and there.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
For the most part, I have it 100% completed. Sitting at 159 hours, all main quests, all side quests, all DLC quests, all trophies, and all of the Ubisoft Club challenges are done. I didn't bother knocking out every fort and outpost on the map, but I'm certain the vast majority of those are completed as well.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I can't do it man. The scaling and levels kills me. I feel everything is too hard to do and that I can only do boring contracts.

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
The real question is who among us got every flag in the original Assassin's Creed? Saw every alternate camera angle?

That's some hardcore AssCreed fandom, getting those two accomplishments.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
I will never go for 100%, specially knowing that it may take 100+ hours.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. 100% completion at 248 hours played with all the DLC. Loved it.

speiky

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Completed the entirety of Odyssey. 100% including DLCs. Bought the store pack that showed all the Orichalcum Ores on the main map, picked all those up too since my OCD wouldn't allow me not to...

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up around the 185 hour mark after 100%map exploration and achievements in the base game and dlc. It's the most time I have put into a game that isn't a mmorpg. Hopefully the next game is of similar scale and quality as I had a great time with this one.