• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 24, 2019
Practically every single notable game in 2020 has either been delayed to later in the year, or has a 2020 release date as a result from a 2019 delay:

The Last of Us Part II

Cyberpunk 2077

Marvel's Iron Man VR

Marvel's Avengers

Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Final Fantasy VII remake

Doom Eternal

Dreams (if we're counting all the early access/beta delays that contributed to a de factdelay for the full release)

Vampire: The Masquerade — Bloodlines 2

Gods & Monsters

Watch Dogs Legion

Rainbow Six Quarantine

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles remastered

Animal Crossing

Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection

probably others that I'm blanking on at the moment.

My question to those who are more knowledgeable than myself is this: is this unprecedented/has there ever been a year with this many high profile delays before? It truly feels like every major game aside from Resi 3 and has been delayed.

Last edited:

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
I was sort of hoping that either RE3 or Animal Crossing would get delayed when I woke up just to see what about happen.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered was also delayed from January 23 to "Summer".

Not as high profile, of course, but one circled on my calendar, lol.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I remember the final year of the previous generation (2013) having a bunch, too. GTA V, Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, Tomb Raider, Rayman Legends. I'm sure there were more that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Nioh 2 hasn't been delayed yet, although they recently said it was nearing the end of development. When it was originally supposed to be released in March, that doesn't leave me confident with that game hitting its initial target either.

But no, I can't recall a year prior with this many delays, although who knows how often games were previously delayed when we never actually had any kind of release date to begin with?

It literally happens every year with almost every AAA this gen. It's a reality we have to accept going forward

With how long games took to develop this gen, just imagine how long it will take for next for everyone other than Ubisoft.

Robbo3

Feb 22, 2018
Any chance the reason is possibly because of new gen releasing in 2020? I'm guessing they need to make a decision on whether it is worth waiting if the developer has dev kits.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
One of several reasons I want E3 to go away and never come back.

The way that games are announced is absolutely absurd and does no favors to the people actually making them.

So much respect to companies that announce close-ish to release when they know they will absolutely hit that date. Capcom, at least the RE teams, have been great at this lately.

OP
OP
Cosmic Voyager
Oct 24, 2019
One of several reasons I want E3 to go away and never come back.

The way that games are announced is absolutely absurd and does no favors to the people actually making them.

So much respect to companies that announce close-ish to release when they know they will absolutely hit that date. Capcom, at least the RE teams, have been great at this lately.

Bethesda is especially good at this, but unfortunately I think it harms most of their games. For example, Wolfenstein 2 and Evil Within 2 were both announced in June 2017 and released in October 2017. Great for consumers because it's such a small gap, but I think both games undersold, which sucks

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Bethesda is especially good at this, but unfortunately I think it harms most of their games. For example, Wolfenstein 2 and Evil Within 2 were both announced in June 2017 and released in October 2017. Great for consumers because it's such a small gap, but I think both games undersold, which sucks
Then you have Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI with announcements so early they are basically self-parody.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Special mention to 1995. It was the original release year for the N64 (and also when I pre-ordered). It was delayed nearly a year for the north american release. Which makes it, easily, the longest pre-order for a console that I've ever had.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
this year is really bad so far when it comes to games..the beginning is already superslow, nothing great till march.

and who knows how many of the delayed games may turn out mediocre

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
It does feel like it's more than usual. It's like they're throwing release dates out there just to create hype, knowing they can just delay it later. "Look at our amazing game reveal! It'll be out next year!" And then... nope. I'm at a point where I'm tired of it and I hope reviewers roast these games if they're mediocre.

DitaParlo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think its a new type of crunch: "oh the date is this, lets work work work work -OH Its almost ready? Lets delay it so you can work harder to polish it".

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I sometimes feel like gamers have awful memory, we got many delays in a row... but that's it

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Animal Crossing was also delayed into 2020 since it was originally billed as a 2019 game by Nintendo

maxresdefault.jpg

Yep, it's true. We could have been playing it already!

OP
OP
Cosmic Voyager
Oct 24, 2019

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
Also, the Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection was delayed from January to February. A modest delay and it is a collection, but a delay nevertheless haha

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Yes, plenty of years have been seen countless delays. You're just thinking about 2020 because it's the most relevant to you right now.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I'm sure this isn't the first time, but this is going to be the new norm from now on. Games take much longer to develop now, even if they insist on releasing them quickly. It's just not possible anymore.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
There are so many great games released these days,I really couldn't care less about delays tbh......I'll play the games when they come out....until then I'll play something else.