• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Battlefield and COD just killed MoH unfortunately.

Thankfully tho Respawn is making a new MoH for VR hopefully releasing 2020.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Call Of Duty kind of did it twice since COD 1 knocked Medal Of Honor off the top and then COD 4 knocked down Halo.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Visual Concepts NBA 2K series killed EAs NBA Live

Forza pretty much killed Gran Turismo or at least made it go away until they can figure out how to make it a thing again.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Netscape killed Mosaic and Internet Explorer killed Netscape.
Reading up on it, "Mozilla" was the original project name for the Netscape Navigator. Though the text on the Wikipedia page claims that the origin is Mosaic + Godzilla, I don't remember where I saw that Mosaic Killer claim.
Anyway, IE was built from the remains of Mosaic and Mozilla from the remains of Netscape. Now IE is dead and Mozilla Firefox is still around...

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember when people were talking up Killzone to be a Halo killer.... yeah.... no

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
How can we say anything about GT's mainline popularity in 2020 when the last mainline game was in 2013? GT Sport is the only realistic comparison point.

FH3 isn't on Game Pass. Never was. That's why I cited it over FH4 which we don't have as firm of numbers for.
source.gif

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Stardew Valley absolutely murdered Harvest Moon. That's for sure.

Final Fantasy was kind of also made to be a dragon quest killer as well. It did eventually do that in the west, and FF in general does better than Dragon Quest.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How can we say anything about GT's mainline popularity in 2020 when the last mainline game was in 2013? GT Sport is the only realistic comparison point.

FH3 isn't on Game Pass. Never was. That's why I cited it over FH4 which we don't have as firm of numbers for.

FM7 isn't on Gamepass either and I actually wouldn't really even put FH in the same category as GT. It's FM vs GT. FH is it's own full arcade thing.

I don't know what kind of numbers FM7 did but I doubt it's anywhere even close to GT Sport.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
Are people taking killer as literally killing a franchise? Because that will literally not ever happen, that's not how that works.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
FM7 isn't on Gamepass either and I actually wouldn't really even put FH in the same category as GT. It's FM vs GT. FH is it's own full arcade thing.

I don't know what kind of numbers FM7 did but I doubt it's anywhere even close to GT Sport.

Eh, I disagree. The Forza brand is what matters. That's where the value is, regardless of what game it's deriving the value from. And I think the argument is that the Forza brand means more in 2020 than GT.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
Definitely not the case. Uncharted still swinging harder than any tomb raider game
I don't know man. Yes the story and characters for Uncharted is still great but the game play and now even the graphics... Tomb Raider is way ahead. Specially the game play. It is much much deeper with leveling system and customization and what not.

But yes it is an opinion.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
Im gonna say despite all the jokes about marvel killing itself, I dont see how dbfz could be a marvel killer/replacement. It just lacks the freedom and customization marvel games had and too much of the roster played too similarly. This has most likely been remedied some im sure with dlc characters and updates since launch, but I havent played the game in quite some time to say.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Every time I hear X-Killer I think of that Penny Arcade Comic about Killzone 1 being the Halo killer and I chuckle audibly. I wish I could find it but it is so far back in archives I don't have time to look it up.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
"____ killer" was killed by the rise of digital media. Don't think I've seen that phrase used unironically during this generation.

I believe it was CVG that on one of their covers literally asked "Baldur's Gate: Diablo Killer?". If by "digital media" you mean "post-facebook news websites" then the term definitely existed for a much longer time than that.

Mar 29, 2018
I don't know man. Yes the story and characters for Uncharted is still great but the game play and now even the graphics... Tomb Raider is way ahead. Specially the game play. It is much much deeper with leveling system and customization and what not.

But yes it is an opinion.
Critically and commercially Tomb Raider is way behind. Which is objective. Nu Tomb Raider didn't "kill" Uncharted by any measurable metric.

Personally I think that all the added "depth" in the new Tomb Raider games actually subtract from the core experience, and broadly fail at what they aim for, whereas Uncharted 2 and The Lost Legacy (Uncharted 4.5) are 10/10 games which stand up with the best of the '00s and '10s.

If you prefer the new TRs though, more power to you. They're still great games.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
Bayonetta was a DMC killer I guess, at least until last year. But take that with a grain of salt as I have limited experience with both series.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The CoD4 - Modern Warfare 2 one two punch basically knocked Halo off its pedestal as the GOAT console shooter. And I hated MW2 and never owned CoD4.

Halo 3 and CoD4 went back and forth pretty good but Reach MP was disappointing to a lot of people and Modern Warfare 2 came out swinging. Once Black Ops was released it became clear CoD was the shooter to play.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I think there was a whole bunch of pretenders to the "Diablo Killer" title.

Titan Quest, Torchlight, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn... they all promised to shake up the Blizzard formula. And they've all managed to branch out the genre in different ways, usually in the gaps between Diablo releases. That being said, every time Blizz announces something new from The Sanctuary, the hype is still very real.