• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
God of War 2018

I enjoyed my first playthrough on normal, but I barely explored the combat system.

Then I did my 2nd playthrough on the hardest difficulty (GMGOW) and it became one of my favorite games ever due to the combat system (despite some early fights being infuriating).

Apr 3, 2020
It isn't the same case entirely, but for me Sekiro.

I did love the game as much as other Fromsoftware's games, phenomenal games, some of my favourites.

After I beat Sekiro for the first time, I went to watch some videos of the game...and I was blown away! and even more when I replayed the game.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure it has. Certainly not a story based single player game.

Something like Super Mario Kart, or Rocket League, or Rock Band were games that the more you keep coming back to them the better they get. I find with most single player games, the subsequent playthroughs are where I start noticing more of the cracks, or the repetition, or the slower parts that maybe drag a bit more than they do on the first playthrough. I'm not saying that every game gets worse upon subsequent playthroughs, but I'm struggling to think of a game that I really liked that I actually liked more after playing it a second time, and it's not really coming to me.

Almost exactly what I was about to say. It's the first playthrough that has the magic. Even in heavily skill-based games, if they have a competently designed progression, it's the first playthrough that has the satisfaction of earning that skill.

So...for me, games where you need multiple playthroughs (or at least attempts) by design, to build skill, would be the only ones that fall into this category. Old arcade-style games come to mind, in addition to the ones you mentioned. Plenty of NES/SNES games, including the original Super Mario Bros, are like that. Certainly my first try at Super Mario Bros wasn't the most satisfying.

Good call out on Rock Band. I remember only somewhat enjoying Guitar Hero, at first. But when I finally got good enough to play on Expert, that's when the game, and its sequels/spinoffs, really shined.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I remember not really caring for the first Dead Rising when I played it, was pretty challenging and hard to get into at first. Then I gave it another shot and it became a beloved 360 game for me.

The Witness was already a game I loved thoroughly when I first played it and was my goty for 2016, but a replay last year cemented it as top 5 of all time for me. You'd think it's not suited for replays but I was even more impressed by its design the second time around.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Yup. I had beat MGS2 in 2013 but when I replayed in 2015 the ending really struck a chord with me because of the political climate and how I had started to pay attention to it. It's now my second favorite game ever.

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
ReykjavĂ­k, Iceland
I didn't finish my first run but Final Fantasy XII was kinda meh for me at first. A couple years later I gave it another shot and that's when it clicked. I think the biggest reason was that on my first try I just kinda left everyone at their default roles (this was the vanilla PS2 version so no hard job system) but I got a lot more creative with the License Boards later.

Also only kinda counts since it's technically a different game, but Persona 5 to Persona 5 Royal. I found P5 to be a very mediocre retread of Persona 4 but I found Royal to be a very good retread of Persona 4.

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Demon's Souls when I imported it for PS3 but I didn't do more with it than clear it a couple of times. After getting more intimate with it because of the remaster I gained an even deeper appreciation for it.

OP
OP
thonerayman

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
No. If I think a game is good and not great chances are I'm not going to replay it

This is my usual stance. The only reason I'm replaying H:ZD is that it had been SO long since i played it that I didn't remember some thigns about it, and I wanted it a bit more fresh for when the sequel dropped. And damn, I'm glad I did.

SanderGT

Banned
Apr 24, 2021
I've been playing games since the NES days but something is happening to me right now that's never happened in 30+ years of gaming. I'm replaying Horizon Zero Dawn for the first time since it launched. I played, beat it then and thought it was a solid game, enjoying it for sure. But since the new title launches in about two months and I had nothing else to play I started a new save file (I maybe should have done new game + but eh starting over was fine) and wow.

I don't know what was going on in my life in late 2017 that made me go "Eh it's a fun game but not one of my favorites of all time" or maybe even it's something different in me now 4 almost 5 years later but damn. I'm fairly close to the end of this play through and I was driving to work an hour ago thinking to myself "I just wanna go home and finish this game again". It hit me, this game is f'ing great. I've never had a game jump from my B tier to S tier because of a second play through ever.

So if this has happened to you post about it! And if it's never happened post about that too! Maybe I'm the only one (But I doubt that super seriously)
HZD was my pick when I read your title lol

But my reason is a bit different because I did do the new game+ which let me unleash Aloy's full arsenal on Ultra Hard and it really elevated my enjoyment!

Oct 28, 2017
Recently Disco Elysium, just seeing all of the different dialogue/play options based on your load out.

The first game I ever remember this happening to me was Chrono Trigger with all of its different endings.

OP
OP
thonerayman

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
HZD was my pick when I read your title lol

But my reason is a bit different because I did do the new game+ which let me unleash Aloy's full arsenal on Ultra Hard and it really elevated my enjoyment!

I thought about going NG+ but it had been so long since I played I wasn't sure I would be able to make use of all her kit lol. Starting over gave me a chance to grow with her again. But my gods, the story is hitting me so much better and cleaner this time.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Disco Elysium
I thought it was super good the first time round, but the sheer variety of different dialogue and things I achieved blew my mind 2nd time round.
It's so amazing I've played it though 4 times in a row

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Doom 2016 comes to mind. I had just gotten my first 4k TV when it released so I played it on that with a controller. I enjoyed it but didn't think it was anything special. Then I replayed it prior to Doom Eternal's release on a 38" 144hz ultrawide monitor with mouse and keyboard. It was so much better.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The Last of Us 2 was much better the second time around.

On the flip side... replaying Uncharted 4 completely ruined my opinion of the game.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't feel FF7 remake at first and kept comparing it to the original. Recently replayed it with the PS5 update and it was a wonderful experience having just accepted it for what it is

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Halo CE

Got an Xbox for it, and it was a lot of fun, but the first time through the game I was constantly getting lost and frustrated.

Like in the second level when you get to that deactivated light bridge, I really had no idea where to go. Why is the switch all the way up a ramp to the side of the bridge, why not just right next to the bridge entrance?
And the first levels with the flood were a pain to navigate too.

But once I figured out the level layouts and I could focus on having fun shooting and driving around it was a great experience.

Honestly, getting lost in levels the first time through a game is something I've had an issue with in a lot of games (or games where objectives are unclear), so quite a few games have been better the second time around not having to worry about that stuff.
It's why I first started using guides when I get stuck, it's just not fun for me to bumble around a level (or an entire game world) like an idiot looking for where to go.

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
I played through RE2make's Leon A this October, and thought it was pretty good, really stressful, and achieved what it was trying to do. Went back to do Claire A this month, and absolutely fell in love with it. I think it used to be in the 60s of my Top 100 games list, and it jumped to the 20s. Currently playing through Leon B. Its a stupidly good game.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
I did a second playthrough of Pathfinder: Kingmaker a few months after my first playthrough. A few months of patches/balances plus just having a much better knowledge of the game mechanics from the start made it a much more enjoyable experience, but I thought it was pretty great the first time through.

Oct 25, 2017
The World Ends With You

Played it, enjoyed it. Saw a trailer for it after the fact and noticed half the stuff in it wasn't in my playthrough and realized I missed a ton of stuff like getting 6 pins and I never really learned how to control 2 characters at once. So each playthrough was me getting better and learning the systems more and now it's my favorite game. I was just really bad at it during that first playthrough.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
The last of us. Bought it on the ps3, and i thought it was just ok. Ended up dropping it halfway through.
Revisited the remastered version on the ps4 and i ended up loving it.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Every time I replay Super Mario World 1 or 2, it just gets better and better.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Ogre Battle 64 got better each time. New characters. New items or secrets. The duplication trick

WillowWrath

Dec 15, 2018
Death stranding, Dark souls 2, Bloodborne. Definitely these games. Seeing the minor details and already having prior experience made them so much better.

SanderGT

Banned
Apr 24, 2021
I thought about going NG+ but it had been so long since I played I wasn't sure I would be able to make use of all her kit lol. Starting over gave me a chance to grow with her again. But my gods, the story is hitting me so much better and cleaner this time.
I loved the story, one of my all time faves. The Frozen Wild adds to it too.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Playing Tokyo Xanadu with New Game + and trying to S-rank all the dungeons with full power was amazing... the flow just felt perfect and it was amazing just curbstomping all the enemies in my path.

May 15, 2019
The Devil May Cry series are games I got mich more out of on repeat playthroughs. That's by design though, you aren't going to master the higher level mechanics your first time through.

Apr 24, 2018
Not quite the same as question OP posed, but I have to say that Super Mario World has aged like fine wine for me. I always loved the game, and it always held a special place in my heart for being the first game that I ever personally owned. Yet I have to say that I like it even more as an adult than I did as a child!

After my last playthrough when the SNES Classic launched, it is on the shortlist for my personal favorite game of all time, right up there with Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Definitely RE4. Hell each subsequent playthrough always felt better than the last. There's so much stuff I'm still discovering replaying the game to this day.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Vanquish. My first playthrough I tried to play it like a cover shooter and I was pretty bored outside of the boss battles. I basically only used the rocket slide to travel from one room to the next lol. Then I saw the videos and gifs on places like GAF where people were playing it the way it was meant to be played and I was like "Ohhhhhhh!"

The Devil May Cry series are games I got mich more out of on repeat playthroughs. That's by design though, you aren't going to master the higher level mechanics your first time through.
Also, this👆

Apo

Oct 28, 2017
Resident Evil 4
I played it for the first time when it came out on Gamecube. I liked it but I wasn't happy about the changes to the Resident Evil formula and the atmosphere, I wasn't accustomed to shooters on console and most importantly I didn't know how to play RE4. I think RE4 truly becomes great if you know how the game works. And by the first time I played it didn't know that.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've often had my appreciation for a game deepen following a second playthrough but I can't think of any I didn't already feel was great when I decided to replay.