• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I started watching Hunter X Hunter a couple of weeks ago, and while it has many unique, interestingly designed minor characters, the one that I'd say stood out to me the most was Ponzu.

latest

Her abilities were odd, but whose weren't? She utilized chemical weaponry, and had trained bees in her hat. Don't call her a bee hat. Though honestly I mainly liked her because of her cute, non-fanservicy design. And after she got an actual speaking role in one episode in the first season, I was hoping she could show up again later in the series.

4 seasons later, I got my wish. Ponzu finally showed back up! I hope she gets to team up with Gon and Killua in this arc!

She gets shot in the head and eaten by a big ant monster thing.

I was genuinely upset.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Penny and Pyrrha deaths in RWBY basically ruined the show for me and made me drop it.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Feferi was best girl, Lenny and Kieran deserved better than that life, I thought that girl being brutally tortured for like a minute and a half in Jurassic World really upsetting and overly brutal for a character who didn't really do anything.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Like you can only go into this thread if you're perfectly fine with spoilers in general cause there's no way to tell what will be spoiled. I didn't know the guy in Stranger Things dies.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Tons. Too many in fact.

There were a few in Dorohedoro but especially chapter 90 absolutely killed me. It's fittingly titled "Silent Reunion".

22_205258_998_1400.webp
23_103764_991_1400.webp
24_302498_1000_1400.webp

The entire chapter culminating in this sequence of panels is so good and sad. Looking at it now still breaks me.

It especially hurts as that series has some crazy resurrection magic but this wasn't one of those times.

Diggeh

Oct 25, 2017
52a758396da811364fecdb0c-750-314.jpg

Bryan Cranston in Godzilla 2014...man, what a waste. Should've been the main character the entire time.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Sunshine

Kaneda's death

This one bummed me out.

Kind of pissed me off too.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Jurassic World secretary, particularly cause shes like one of what, 3 actual on screen deaths and easily the most pointless.

8162114_orig.png

Mr. Gilboa (guy at the head of the table.) Gundam Unicorn Dies shortly after this dinner to the kid in the jacket with his back to us in this shot. Complete accident from a stray shot sadly. Main character really comes to like/trust these people and essentially the worst person possible gets caught in the cross fire.

Last edited:

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot that bummed me out in Attack on Titan, but I won't list particulars due to manga spoilers.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Every so often there's a minor female character death framed in a way that makes me think the (usually male) author has issues they need to work out.

Unrelated to that:

sy4jmxsqscunxemxwupv.png

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
cbfaf79707564b06f4f76916b5574f67.gif

This scene from Who Framed Roger Rabbit was quite disturbing to kid me. Poor shoe :(

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I remember an episode of the Highlander TV series which made be bawl as a kid. Looking it up, it was called "The Innocent". It featured a mentally handicapped man who happened to be an immortal. It ended with him needing to die because of him unintentionally killing someone else, and I remember it making me really sad the way he accepted his fate.

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing tops this for me.

"Where the fuck is Wallace?! huh? String?! Look at me! Where the fuck is Wallace!!!"

They just did the little man dirty like that without no remorse or feeling at all.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Nothing tops this for me.

"Where the fuck is Wallace?! huh? String?! Look at me! Where the fuck is Wallace!!!"

They just did the little man dirty like that without no remorse or feeling at all.

Maybe not a "minor" death, but

Bodie's death was probably the most tragic for me in the show, especially because of this scene right before it.

"I feel old." Gets me every time.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Red Viper and lady bear are not fucking minor characters! Now Ros the whore, that's a minor character.

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe not a "minor" death, but

Bodie's death was probably the most tragic for me in the show, especially because of this scene right before it.

"I feel old." Gets me every time.

Yeah that one was jarring 'cause Bodie been there straight from the dribble. But he had that death of Wallace in his ledger though and that karma finally caught up to him. Bringing the earlier conversation D'Angelo had with the kids full circle.

"We like them little bitches on the chessboard."
"Pawns..."

The characterizations and writing of The Wire is top of the food chain.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
This isn't quite what the OP had in mind, but it's tangentially relatable.

It seems really weird to me that in Kingsman: The Golden Circle, they give
Whiskey this pretty sad motivation for things like 10 minutes before they literally grind him into hamburger meat.

Like, yeah, his involvement in the plan to kill everyone who's ever done a drug is horrible. He deserves comeuppance, and we need a big action finale. But throwing in his pregnant girlfriend getting gunned down in a drug deal seemed like... Maybe Mathew Vaughn is kind of on the side of "No, yeah. Actually kill all drug users." And this happens in the climax.

The tragic backstory would be one thing if they didn't give him the most gruesome and degrading death imaginable. It seemed like something that should have been reserved for Julianne Moore's character, considering she orchestrated the plan, contracted Whiskey, and killed off the rest of the Kingsman.

It's just weird.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know a lot of people were affected by Barb in Stranger Things, which is weird when you think about it because she died in the second episode and had like two or three scenes.

🤔

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Ponzu was fucking brutal. Don't even get me started on what they did to Pokkle...

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Halfway through Oathbringer, the 3rd book in Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archives series,
Elhokar dies in the *midst* of saying the Words. After trying so desperately to be a decent human being, he's finally on the verge, and he's run through as he's saying them. It's devastating.

:(

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Jurassic World secretary, particularly cause shes like one of what, 3 actual on screen deaths and easily the most pointless.

That death was the only thing I liked about the movie. I want more of that.
I can't fucking stand it when there's a rampaging monster and it passes by the old lady using a walker and the little kid to get to the much faster thirty-something guy.
Pointless is exactly what deaths in that situation should be. "But the character didn''t deserve it!" Yes, and...

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Kaori from Akira (especially the movie).

latest

(I have yet to read the manga, I did hear she at least gets more development there)

The way she gets
visibly crushed to a bloody pulp by Tetsuo's walls of swelling flesh
in the last third of the movie makes me not only bummed, but genuinely angry.

She gets a sliver of screen time and development, just to be butchered in 10 seconds in the lead up to the finale.

The thing that gets me the most is how her death serves ABSOLUTELY no purpose in the narrative, she straight up gets deleted from the movie, and (except for a throw-away line seconds after) she's never mentioned ever again. It's just so mean-spirited.

If the only purpose of that scene was to gratuitously shock and horrify me, good job I guess.