• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Sea of Thieves. Sailing those seas for 9 hours straight does something to your brain when you go to bed and close your eyes in the evening.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
The first time I played Portal I hadn't played any FPS games in a while. Portal was amazing and I finished it in one sitting but I felt very nauseous for a bit after that.

Daggoth

Oct 25, 2017
A few.

Driveclub VR - cockpit mode makes me feel sick almost instantly. But the chase camera is fine.

Skyrim VR and RE7 VR gave me problems when turning in a smooth motion, it's like I could see the world dissolving into a mess of pixels tnrough the headset. Angled turns helped.

Half-Life 2's airboat, the combination of the mostly static boat and the moving scenery just makes me go nope. Increasing FoV helped.

The Talos Principle did something, but not enough to completely knock me out.

I was also fine in the past with old Build Engine games (Duke3D, Shadow Warrior) but something about the graphics engine makes me feel really sick now. Must be due to age :(

Oct 27, 2017
When I played New Vegas on my 360 that canyon where the Khans lived had such bad screen tearing it gave me a headache and made me slightly nauseous

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Wolfenstein The New Colossus made me badly motion sick. Dunno what it was in particular, probably a combination of head wobble, some super fast movement at times and 30 fps on console. Low fov probably didn't help too.

Also struggled with Edith Finch. Definitely a first person thing for me even though I'm fine with the vast majority I play.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I think the only time a game made me physically ill was playing Rez in VR.

If I'm not mistaken, Level 4's boss walks on walls and the ceiling and it threw off my balance, even while I was sitting. It was quite the experience, but I'd never do it again.

Great Martinez Jr.

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico
Pretty much every FPS I have ever played has given me acute motion sickness (as in: I feel so sick I have to lie down and rest for several minutes up to an hour in order to recover). Some times I don't even need to play them, just watching a video of them is enough to make me feel nausea.

Other games with a first person camera might also induce motion sickness but I find them more tolerable on the whole. Racing games in general practically never make me feel sick, while Walking Simulators might induce nausea or headaches depending on the game.

By contrast, I practically never suffer from motion sickness when playing games with a third person camera, but there was one major exception: Dead Space 3 on the PS3. I don't really know what there was about that game's camera or graphical settings, but every time I played it I ended developing a headache after around 20 minutes or so, and one time in particular I also got extremely nauseous to the point I ended running to the bathroom to throw up. I stopped playing the game after that. It's weird because that never happened with the prior two games.

More recently and not related to motion sickness: Having skipped them when they originally released on WiiWare, I recently got some of the Bit.Trip games that were ported to Switch. I played Beat, Core and Void and for whatever reason their combination of flashing lights and psychedelic colors ended causing me severe eye strain. That never had happened to me with any game before. They are fun games, but after experiencing that I'm not sure I will play the rest of the series.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
No but i have not tried much VR yet.

Have only ever gotten eye strain in some games with lots of after effects like chromatic aberration going on.

SPIN!

Banned
Mar 16, 2018
Driveclub VR was the worst a game has made me feel. Was alright driving fast looking straight ahead but looking around at slow speeds or stopped was awful. Of course it had a couple of trophies for looking at a trackside objects that made you do that and then they were very bad at properly triggering.

Then some other VR games but that was usually more a case of putting in too long of a session, trying to play when already not feeling great, playing on an empty stomach etc.

The Resident Evil 8 demo was the first non-VR game that made me want to blow chunks so sadly I'm not willing to risk the full game. Resident Evil 7 was fine so I don't get it.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Anything PSVR, but that's on me and my motion sickness unfortunately. Tho I didn't have any problem playing on higher rez headset in arcades in Japan, so I hope it's specific to the low resolution of PSVR and the v2 feel better.

The South Park FPS where you throw piss soaked snowballs at overly aggressive turkeys, on PSOne. It gave me headaches. At the time, I was a teen and didn't gave a shit about framerate, but I suspect it was probably something like 15fps and that's what made me sick at the time.

Nov 26, 2019
Outer Wilds. The weird fish eye lens thing does me in within 10 seconds of turning it on. So sad too, because it sounds like the type of game I would love.

Yoss

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Wipeout VR gets to me after about 15 minutes and I need to take a break. It's incredible but I can only handle it in small amounts unfortunately.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Driveclub VR.

The terrible image quality mixed with some really baffling VR design decisions had me ripping the headset off after about 15 minutes of play. It was a few days before I could play a VR game again.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
i can be prone to motion sickness but usually not too bad except when i played bad company on ps3 i always felt really ill after, i really liked the game so i did complete it but it was touch and go a few times if i was going to throw up or not.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Yes but more specifically a graphical effect used in the 360/ps3 era would give me a massive headache when viewed on a CRT. So anything with extensive use of POM (parallax occlusion mapping) after 10 mins would make me feel like someone took a hammer to my temples.

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Really low or cropped FOV in FPS games makes me sick, but if it's about 85 or higher I'll be fine. Otherwise, some old ass NES RPGs caused me to have focal seizures thanks to the screen flashes in battles or upon entering battles.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Happened to me with Final Fantasy XII. One session I was playing for a few hours, and I developed a headache and actually had to stop and run to the washroom to throw up. It kinda soured me on the game, which was becoming a bit of a slog.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
balan wonderworld. I couldn't finish the demo because it made me want to vomit.

Edit: Not hyperbole either, I think its the way the world is unraveling?

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Not sick but Shovel Knights pixel art style and hard colors were hard on the eye's and made me a bit queezy.

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What's with all the Marathon for xbox 360 mentions? That's so weird. It seems very similar to Doom for me, and I hadn't ever heard of anyone having issues with Doom.
The FOV in the games is real low by default and the way the movement works with the bobbing is a real bad trigger for motion sickness, Doom has a wider view and the way you move doesn't bob the screen like it does in Marathon.

Streetcleaner

Dec 1, 2017
I only get motion sickness from playing games with a brown color palette. Mostly FPS games like Turok 64, Rise of the Triad, Unreal, Quake. Although I did get motion sickness with ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, but I'd play 1 hour at a time.

Not sure why brown affects me the most, but I can play other FPS games fine.

Sep 29, 2019
Playing SuperHot on VR for the first time ever [it was my first ever VR experience] made me pretty dizzy and nauseous. But i got used to it after a while.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Doom 64 on the N64 I think was the first game to give me motion sickness, but I largely chalked that up to basically binging the game for way too long on a rental stretch during summer vacation. Antichamber did a number on me too, and I'm not really sure why.

Past that, I've only noticed getting sick with VR titles when I picked up the PSVR. About 40 minutes of Astrobot Rescue Missions and I'd feel it coming on... not a fun time. I tried out Job Simulator as it's more stationary and it still does a number on me. It's really disheartening because Astrobot absolutely blew me away.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
One of the PSVR games I tried made me want to hurl, but I fortunately haven't hadn't any issues on PCVR (yet).

And The Last of Us 2 had multiple gratuitous moments that made me recoil in disgust.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic 3D Blast is the only one that made me get headaches. Could never make it more than 10 minutes.

I'm sure it has to do with the faux-3D isometric gameplay.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Virtual Hydlide on the Sega Saturn

The low framerate and terrible graphics actually gave me a headache trying to play it.

I could only play it for a few minutes before I had to turn it off

6a00e008dbc8a1883401538e2d31f6970b-600wi

MrZaha

Jan 9, 2018
Ps3 mercenaries game, the one where your character gets revenge cause he got shot in the ass. For some reason.maybe the movement of the camera it makes me nauseous.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The only time I felt sick playing a FPS was playing CoD at a friend's house - he hadn't enabled game mode on their TV (amateur hour I know) and the high latency causes such a disconnect when moving and aiming that it really didn't feel good.

Also FPS on consoles have such low FoV which really wouldn't help if you're prone to travel sickness. But yeah I'm fine with FPS tbh, maybe my favourite genre.

My issue is (camera) motion blur. I hate it so much, especially when I'm playing when tired it just gives me such a headache. Makes it so difficult to focus, it's just so artificial and unnecessary. Luckily most games let you disable it, but those that don't, well fuck them.

Semajer

Oct 27, 2017
I have played so much Resident Evil 4 that I feel nauseous if I try to play new game+ with the overpowered bonus weapons. I need either a new game or restrictions nowadays to be able to enjoy it.

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
Rigs on PSVR. First and only VR game to really get me.

Same. It's a shame because it looked really well made and seemed fun, but I don't think I even managed to finish the tutorial. I played for maybe 20-30 minutes and had to lay down in the dark for a couple hours to recover from the nausea.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
The FOV in the games is real low by default and the way the movement works with the bobbing is a real bad trigger for motion sickness, Doom has a wider view and the way you move doesn't bob the screen like it does in Marathon.

Ohhh headbob I can get. I totally remember actually DOOM throwing me off with that headbob too.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Only VR games. Racing games in VR in particular, I can't handle for long before feeling ill.