• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Any games that have extreme amount of heights.

Not that it caused me any of the mentioned in the OP or title.

My fear of heights actually occurs even in video games.

Dark Souls 1 was a perfect example of this...

Nov 13, 2017
Dragon Quest XI on PS4 Pro also has this very nauseating ghost effect when you rotate the camera. It doesn't exist when you play on a PS4 or a Switch though.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U gamepad. Screen was too low quality to keep up with the speed of the game leading to some awful eye strain.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Resident evil 7 in vr gave me the worst motion sickness imaginable after less than an hour. To the point where it wiped me out for the rest of the night. It also ruined the game itself for me because the VR made it terrifying, and trying to go back to playing without it felt kinda hollow

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
First time I encountered nausea or motion sickness was from Sonic Adventure DX, usually while playing as Knuckles for some reason.

Twilight Princess's wolf areas, and having to use that special sense or whatever gave me nausea that eventually made me give up on the game. I had a similar experience with AC Unity.

I've basically ruled out first person games at this point, after bad experiences with Dishonored and The Witness.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
FPP games, Skating & bmx games where you go in loops and the camera follows you around in circles etc and flight games that do the same.

All make me nauseous.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
The Witness
Guitar Hero style games
The stupid border around NES Online games. Why can't it just be black.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
The resident evil 6 demo that came with dragons dogma on xbox 360 had screen tearing so bad that It made me feel dizzy. I tried again 3 days later and trying to make sense of what was going on in the screen had me put the controller down and just uninstall the demo due to how ill it made me feel.

The Stig

Oct 25, 2017
The only game that springs to mind is Metroid Prime giving me a lovely case of motion sickness. What I was able to stomach was fucking incredible, but after a while I just couldn't deal with it anymore and had to throw in the towel.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Not a game in particular but when I push me to play for too much hours, headache is inevitable. Fortunately hardly I play that much if not just in the weekend.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The PS2 release of Shadow of the Colossus gave me a strong headache every time I tired to play it. This was 5 times in total (in 30 min chunks). It would only go away when I would stop playing, and close my eyes for a while. No other game did this to me EVER, and I very rarely get headaches at all so I thought it was strange. I guess it was a framerate thing, but I played a bunch of badly optimized game, and this still was the only game that ever affected me. The more recent remake was 100% fine for me.

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
First time I played Goldeneye 64. Man I got so nauseous from playing that the first time and a massive headache. Not sure if it was because it was the first time I had played a first-person shooter on console or what.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I once had a seizure at an arcade when playing Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, so that was pretty bad. I woke up with puke all over myself and EMTs putting me on a stretcher.

Meliodas

Apr 7, 2019
Not a game, but when the 3ds was released I went to a local game store to try it. When I held it and looked the screen, it made my vision blurry AF and I couldn't concentrate at all.

I don't have any eye pain problems or medical issues at all and didn't experience any symptoms of discomfort my whole life regarding my eye and that was the first and only instance that occurred to me and I'm still wondering until this day why.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Got about 3 hours into The Talos Principle before it suddenly started giving me serious motion sickness. Every time I tried going back it I couldn't play it for more than a minute at a time. No idea why, and I've never had such a reaction to any other game before or since.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Mirror's Edge made me feel sick after two chapters. I picked it up a few days later and played through another few chapters and only felt mild discomfort. After that, no game could faze me, though one lasting side effect is that now I count Mirror's Edge among my favorite franchises, which I hear makes me a crazy person.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I will rarely get vertigo if im playing a game when I'm very tired. The last ge I remember this happening with is the witness. I imagine it's because of the lack of a hud.

Raina

Oct 25, 2017
Yee. I have motion sickness issues which make it near impossible for me to play most shooting games. Even Splatoon makes me dizzy. If I play that game for an hour I have a headache for two days afterwards. I used to take medication for it but I decided buying it just for when I played Splatoon was a waste of money so I stopped playing the game.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
When I was young StarFox on SNES would inevitably give me vertigo after a few minutes, to the point where I had to lie down on the couch. The game was so much fun though that I would often try to return to it once in a while, in hopes that my body would end up acclimating itself to it. And sure enough, it eventually did.

Then I got just one similar episode of vertigo from Super Mario 64, and then never since. So it's been over 20 years without that happening and I'm very thankful for it. My biggest fear with StarFox was always that it would never go away and start happening with other games, meaning that there would exist games that I'd never be able to play. Phew!

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Quake 2. The endless similar grey corridors. Even thinking about it now triggers nausea.

Half Life 2. The environments look sterile. I can't quite put my finger on it but be it in 30 or 60fps, it still triggers nausea.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
Gravity Rush 2

Slight nausea feeling in some stages cause the camera is fucked.

The only game so far to give me that feeling.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Eye strain definitely with certain games. Hand strain with fighting games too. Blisters as well I used to get playing arcade games too much from side scrolling beat em ups and fighting games.

Doom VR I tried at a games event really made me nauseous like no other VR game has done before. Doubt I'd be able to play many FPS or racing games in VR, just adventure games.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
Dead Space 2 gave me motion sickness for the first time in my life. Half an hour in, I broke out into a cold sweat, got the worst headache I've ever had, and fell violently sick. I was convinced I had food poisoning. I spent the day in bed.

A few days later, I play Dead Space 2 again. The same thing happens, only this time faster. At that point, I realised what was going on. I love the franchise, and after Googling simulation sickness, decided to give a recommended remedy a go. Apparently, ginger is an effective prophylactic. Candied ginger was suggested, but I boiled a large piece of root ginger in water for 20 mins before drinking the water with a little sugar. Not only was it delicious, I suffered no adverse effects from playing the game. I was so glad I got to experience it.

Normally, I can read in moving vehicles, on boats, anywhere. I really feel for people who suffer from motion sickness. It was deeply unpleasant. The gamers I know who are prone to it, often report being affected when playing Borderlands. Something to do with the head bob. Luckily, I have never had a problem with another game. Long may that last.

Nov 4, 2017
+1 for nausea from FPS games. Duke Nukem 3D is the first game I recall experiencing it on. Games with consistently choppy frame rates can have similar effects. E.g. OoT on N64 or original DS on 360/PC are unplayable to me. I'm eternally grateful to the 3DS OoT and DSFix.

The weird thing is that nothing IRL makes me motion sick. I can spend days in rough seas, read books on bumpy car/train/bus/plane rides or ride roller coasters all day. But certain games make me nauseous and give me cold sweats.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
When I was trying out a game in 3-D my left eye went bloodshot and didn't stop leaking for a couple hours.

I wouldn't call it pain but that's what 3-D games and movies do to me.

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
I've tried playing Bioshock: Infinite three or four times now with no luck, I basically get motion sickness thirty minutes in and suffer through the game. It's made me really hate the beginning, especially since it's a little slow and I just want to get to the fun parts but those also make me sick. Very few games have given me this problem, though I've seen some suggestions that it's due to the FoV. Only other game to give me an issue like that was Portal 2 and even then it was because I binged almost the entire game in a couple sittings, and that game is much wonkier.

Sometimes VR gives me a headache but I think that's because it pushes my glasses onto my face too hard. I haven't really played the most intensive games on PSVR though.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Almost all first person shooters gives me motion sickness.

It's less of a problem on PC though because of the higher framerate and FOV settings.

Oct 28, 2017
Absurdly low FOV is really straining on me. Worst offender I played was Mass Effect 3. I had to download a mod so I could complete the game without feeling nauseuos.
This is why I never considered getting No Man's Sky, because every single video of it had such low FOV, I couldn't watch through a single trailer without feeling discomfort.

Tali'Zorah

Oct 27, 2017
Norfolk, UK
Uncharted 3. The ship level gave me pretty bad nausea from what I assume to be seasickness. Had to keep pausing every few minutes to get through it.