• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Cyberpunk has been in the news lately but their recent fuck ups have reminded me of some cases where former industry darlings have had a fall from grace. Then sometimes after years crawling back or a staffing shake up they either return to form or come back better than ever. Capcom during the dark days of the mid-late 00s is a good example.

Has there ever been a company that has shat the bed with you so hard that you swore off them but eventually came back after they righted the ship?

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
i'm in for the next Bioware game which is the Trilogy remaster but i'm also in for their next games.

JSub

Jan 7, 2018
Developers aside....I will never buy an Xbox console again after 4 RRODs with the 360

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Microsoft on PC for me. Will never forget what they did to alan wake PC and PC gaming in general back in the day decade ago but yeah, things have changed since then.

Oct 25, 2017
What did Capcom do in the mid-late 00s? Their track record that while decade was pretty solid. The early-mid 10s were their rocky period.

With that said, their offences are really not on the same level as CDPR imo.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the only time I was ever truly pissed at a company was Piranha with Mechwarrior Online. Trying to sell $500 golden Mad Cats while their game was a complete buggy imbalanced mess. Yes, some of that is on the company they were under (from what I understand they managed to wiggle out of that arrangement over time) but the game was REALLY fucking busted for a LONG time.

I was willing to give them another chance with Mechwarrior 5 but I ended up playing it on Gamepass so I guess I technically never gave them money again. Game is fine as long as you look at it from the perspective of an indie studio and not some massive AAA. So I guess I'm back on board for whatever they are working on.

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Electronic Arts has been in my good graces bc of Star Wars Squadrons and Command and Conquer Remastered

Microsoft's PC support lately has been amazing!

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't bought a BioWare game since Mass Effect 2.

Cyberpunk 2077 definitely fucked it up for CDPR, will think twice before buying their future games. W3 had me too hyped.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft on PC for me. Will never forget what they did to alan wake PC and PC gaming in general back in the day decade ago but yeah, things have changed since then.

Yeah, this. I was a big fan of a lot of MS published PC games in the 90s/early 00s, and then came the Xbox and with it the dark ages. They only really got me back in the last few years.

Edit: I wasn't "offended" by that of course. They just started moving in a direction that wasn't for me.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Way back when Sony removed the Other OS function from Playstation 3. I basically had to forfeit a paid feature of a 600 $US console because Sony felt like it with no compensation. I know I was in the very small minority of users that actually cared about it but it made me realize how strong a hold companies have over their products even when you actually own said product.

It made me quit console gaming all together for the most part.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Yeah, I usually don't just completely write off a company because of one blunder. Cyberpunk was definitely a botched launch and I'm awaiting my refund but if their next game is released in a proper state and looks good to me I'll probably get it.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Microsoft won me back (and then some) by reviving Age of Empires 2 and giving it five (!!!!!) new expansions.

I legit had light PTSD symptoms from dealing with GaFWL, but since they've empbraced Steam and are porting everything, they've got me as a customer.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Hello Games for sure, hell they might be 1 of my favorite devs of last gen nowadays, went far above what I think anyone could expect to repair their reputation after releasing NMS in the state they did.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Activision completely lost me....

Then just released bangers like Crash Trilogy, Tony Hawk Remastered and Crash 4. It was weird to buy Activision games after ignoring them for so long, then them making up quite a lot of purchases in the last few years

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, Kentucky
I think it depends, right? Like if a developer releases a real stinker, it's pretty easy when their next game is coming out to just... wait and see. Capcom is proof positive that an entire publisher can rebuild their reputation from the ground up. Need for Speed Heat kind of turned me back around on Ghost Games for a specific recent example. That part isn't hard.

Of course, releasing a bad, buggy game is only part of the problem when it comes to Cyberpunk, and I'd argue the smaller part of the problem. I'm having a hard time thinking of any game so blatantly rooted in deeply racist (and at times outright white nationalist) rhetoric. The only situations that even come close to me would be the one marketing guy at THQ Nordic palling around with a nazi/pedophile board and the slow realization that Ubisoft is basically a place that pays employees to be sexually harassed/assaulted.

Can I get over these kinds of issues, personally? Maybe. In time, and presuming the underlying issues do not continue. I feel like I'm more likely to eventually go back to Ubisoft or THQ Nordic than CDPR. I don't see myself ever forgiving the white nationalist dogwhistling present in much of Cyberpunk 2077. CDPR has a hard fucking road ahead of them if they want me to think they've genuinely become better, and not just put a mask on it all.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
Getting me to buy their games again, nope Not yet. Don't see it happening but I guess it's possible, as possible as me flying like Superman.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Square Enix with KH3 after FFXV then lost it back again FF7R and Avengers so now I'm waiting for another redemption from them

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I don't really get 'offended' by game companies....

After all, we are not really acquaintance

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Hello Games with No Man's Sky for me.

Bought it at launch, was massively dissapointed with the lack of multiplayer, lot of bugs and no real red string to invest me into exploring and keep on playing.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
If "offended" simply means "dissatisfied with a product"....

Kerbal Space Program, even if it took a while. They spent the money to do an entirely new port from scratch with a better studio. That's a lot of commitment and it ended up a pretty good port.

NotSoren

Jul 15, 2020
After I had encountered the homophobic stuff in persona 5 I stopped playing Atlus games. Not really offended more annoyed, you get used to shit like that if you are gay i guess. Seeing Atlus track record, I am not so sure things are going to change any time soon.

Last edited:

Raigor

May 14, 2020
MS has released MS Flight Simulator and they are funding AAA RPGs, so them absolutely, after Fable III i was really disappointed.

I don't care about Halo and Gears but AAA RPGs? Age of Empires 4? Fable? Avowed? InXile with a budget? Give me that shit.

RobertM

Oct 31, 2017
Way back when Sony removed the Other OS function from Playstation 3. I basically had to forfeit a paid feature of a 600 $US console because Sony felt like it with no compensation. I know I was in the very small minority of users that actually cared about it but it made me realize how strong a hold companies have over their products even when you actually own said product.

It made me quit console gaming all together for the most part.
A linux distro that you can run on pretty much anything and was used as a backdoor for piracy that Sony got class action sued for and people got compensated for, what a shame.

Shade Vortex

Oct 28, 2017
USA, WA.
I'd say Sonic Team are the kings of repeating the cycle of disappointing people and then getting their hopes up again. After repeating that cycle for over two decades, I have yet to regain my faith in them again though.

A dev that actually pulled it off properly? Probably Bandai Namco with the Digimon World stuff. 4 was such a disappointment for me, but stuff like Cyber Sleuth and Survive more than makes up for it.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Xbox. Between multiple hardware failures on the 360 and the awful PR leading up to Xbox One, I was checked out of the brand for a few years. I think they're doing great in every sense except their exclusives portfolio right now — it's my opinion that they still make great exclusives but don't release them frequently enough and still aren't quite the same level of quality as Sony and Nintendo. But their hardware is excellent, their UX has matured to a point where I don't have much left to feel negative about, and Game Pass is an awesome service. I hope their exclusives get exciting again — I thought they did a good job for the time on the original Xbox and the 360, where I legit felt like owning an Xbox was a must. Now I feel like owning my Xbox is great but it's more or less because the back compat gives me confidence that my purchases on their platform will remain relevant beyond the current gen similar (but not exactly like) my Steam library and because Game Pass caters to my existing tastes well and allows for a decent level of discoverability of games I might not otherwise play. I just wish they had the must-have factor from having amazing exclusives back. I feel like this generation might be when that falls into place but I do think their studios still need time to complete projects that will get them to that level.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Microsoft won me back starting with the One X, hated them on pc, didn't like the Xbox, had a 360 early but multiple red rings and didn't enjoy their 1st party made me go back to exclusively PS3 and Sony for consoles in general. But then the One X came out and over time they've done so much good.

Now I think they're the most important pc developers, make the best console hardware in gaming, own my favorite publisher Bethesda, and are doing the most overall in my favorite genre the RPG.

That said, they still have a long way to go but I actually want to be there for the ride.

EA is the next one I'm watching in terms of comeback, they never technically fully lost me but really I've only bought BioWare games since BF4 but I gotta feeling this will be a good gen for them, or at least better.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
A linux distro that you can run on pretty much anything and was used as a backdoor for piracy that Sony got class action sued for and people got compensated for, what a shame.
Piracy on the PS3 was far from a reality by the time Sony removed the feature. Some guy had successfully managed to boot a copy of a game, albeit unplayable, but it required tampering with the hardware itself. Sony panicked and nuked the Other OS on a firmware update released for that single purpose. Didn't do them much good on the long run.

If you're ok about having features that you payed for removed for the sole sake of the manufacturer, well we'll have to disagree on that stance.

On topic, I did bought a second hand PS4 to play Bloodborne but resold it later.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Activision, absolutely. Between the Crash & Spyro remakes, FINALLY giving us a THPS remake (let alone release) worth a damn, and Crash 4, they've done a lot to get me back on board, though admittedly Vicarious Visions/Beenox/Toys for Bob are the real heroes there.

I was kind of disappointed with Capcom's output on the Switch early on, but between MM11, the fantastic port of Devil May Cry 3 SE, Ghosts & Goblins Resurrection and ESPECIALLY Monster Hunter Rise, I'm happy to see the platform isn't just an afterthought for them now. Capcom in general has done a lot to get me back on board with them since the tail end of the 360/PS3 gen, when they were arguably at their worst. Their only real misstep in my eyes as of late (which is a shame since it's my favorite series from them) is MvC Infinite.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say I stopped playing their games because they offended me, but Assassin's Creed Origins definitely turned me back into a Ubisoft fan after how disappointing AC Unity was.

Nov 4, 2017
MS kind of lost me after their shitty phone, terrible attempt at a walled garden store and their user spying/spy agency collaboration.

I'll still buy their games on Steam where I can though. I mostly just don't want to be in their ecosystem on my personal time.

BumbleChump

Aug 19, 2018
Capcom sucked in the late 2000's/early 2010's when they were chasing the American market. Lost Planet series, Dragon's Dogma, Remember Me, RE6, Dark Void, etc. They also created Marvel vs Capcom Inifinite.

But even with all that, they made RE2, RE7, SFV, (I actually like it), DMC5, and my favorite game of all time, from their worst era, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. I have more faith in Capcom than any other publisher right now.

SirThou

Oct 27, 2017
I never really think to get offended by or won back by devs / publishers long term. It's typically on a game by game basis. If a game looks good, I'm interested and if it looks like it's not for me, I wait and see. Easy.

Of course there are non game reasons for me to try avoiding specific games, like CDPR's shit or JK Rowling's shit, but if steps are made to rectify those, I'm open to getting the games. I don't see it as being 'won back', seems weird to me.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
the only way a company can truly offend me is if they make a series of bad games, then i stop buying them, i haven't gotten an activision or bioware game in years, it used to be the same with EA then fallen order came out, so EA but probationary

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Ubisoft hasn't made a game i like in a long time if that counts as an offense.I'm Not that im boycotting or anything, i just still haven't seen something from them that i'd potentially like in like 10 years. Soo.. not really.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
One can never satisfy everyone. Delay game? People complain. Release too early? Same. Besides, the companies I used to like exist no more.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Electronic Arts has been in my good graces bc of Star Wars Squadrons and Command and Conquer Remastered

Microsoft's PC support lately has been amazing!
EA is a good pick, I'll second them.

They were the boogeymen of the industry for a wile, and while they certainty haven't turned saintly or anything, they have released some surprisingly good, and varied games lately. I would never have expected EA to make a spiritual successor to the X-Wing games, and with full VR support, no less.