• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter was a well received multi-platform open world narrative exploration horror game which was at least partially based on the canceled game "Come Midnight."

Their next game will be a PC exclusive wave based dark fantasy first person shooter.

The devs have a history in their previous work with the game Painkiller of making first person shooters but I'm surprised they didn't choose to capitalize on the success of their previous game with a sequel or something with similar gameplay.

youtu.be

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Trailer | PS4

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is a first-person story-driven mystery game focused on exploration and discovery. As a private detective Paul Prospero communic...
youtu.be

Witchfire Teaser

The new game we're working on, a dark fantasy shooter called Witchfire. More info and screenshots: http://www.theastronauts.com/2017/12/new-game-witchfire/

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
Plenty
A plague tale to flight sim
Killzone to horizon
Mid development halo to halo :D
And now playground with fable

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I loved Ethan Carter's world/atmosphere so much but I know some people had an issue with the out of order episodic story telling, but I was fine with it. I have it on Steam and Switch. The Switch port was done partly in house by the Astronauts and is superb, one of the best looking UE4 games on the Switch.

When I found out their next project, I was a little disappointed personally, but not ruling out checking it out later.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
No joke, I had to look up what about face means, seems to mean a u-turn or flip flop?

Supposedly about-turn is used outside the US, but I have never heard that used wither hahaha

Karsha

May 1, 2020
Its one of my favorite "Do nothing" games, Im still salty about the ending though, it takes a lot from the narrative just for shocking value imho

OP
OP
Magog

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
Wouldn't Ethan Carter be the about face?
Kinda sorta? Ethan Carter was the first game from the new studio formed by devs that worked on Bulletstorm and Painkiller. I think they wanted to tell the tale from Come Midnight but didn't have the budget for or didn't see the need for combat mechanics so they made it a purely adventure game.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
No joke, I had to look up what about face means, seems to mean a u-turn or flip flop?

Supposedly about-turn is used outside the US, but I have never heard that used wither hahaha
It's used for controlling the direction of formations, such as marching bands. Left and Right Face is a 90 degree turn in that direction, and About Face is a 180 degree turn to the opposite direction.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kinda sorta? Ethan Carter was the first game from the new studio formed by devs that worked on Bulletstorm and Painkiller. I think they wanted to tell the tale from Come Midnight but didn't have the budget for or didn't see the need for combat mechanics so they made it a purely adventure game.

What is 'Come Midnight'?

Witchfire seems more like a return for them, considering what the devs were known for. I hope it comes out.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
Klei Entertainment has done lots of different genres. I think the longest they've stuck to one element is Shank and it's sequel (two beat 'em ups), and Mark of the Ninja (side scrolling action game) and Invisible Inc. (turn based game) both having major stealth aspect.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I think this prize easily goes to Brace Yourselves. From Crypt of the Necrodancer / Cadence of Hyrule (2D fantasy rhythm action roguelite) to Industries of Titan (3D sci-fi city building sim/strategy). Just watch these two games back to back and tell me what they have in common (other than "overhead perspective" I guess):

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Just wait until you see the old PC devs and what they used to make

Epic games (sidescrollers, Pinball), DICE (Racing games), Blizzard (sidescrollers and racing), id Software (sidescrollers), Bethesda (hockey games)

None of these game companies are no longer known for the stuff they first started to make

OP
OP
Magog

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
What is 'Come Midnight'?

Witchfire seems more like a return for them, considering what the devs were known for. I hope it comes out.
A canceled detective game with combat elements. I linked to a video in the OP.

happygamer.com

Canceled Horror Game Come Midnight Has Revealed Some Gameplay Footage Of What The Title Might Have Been | Happy Gamer

It is common in the game industry for games to be canceled for almost no reason. Sometimes its a budget issue, other times publishers...

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
I think this prize easily goes to Brace Yourselves. From Crypt of the Necrodancer / Cadence of Hyrule (2D fantasy rhythm action roguelite) to Industries of Titan (3D sci-fi city building sim/strategy). Just watch these two games back to back and tell me what they have in common (other than "overhead perspective" I guess):

i had no idea hahaha, this must be fun for the studio.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Just wait until you see the old PC devs and what they used to make

Epic games (sidescrollers, Pinball), DICE (Racing games), Blizzard (sidescrollers and racing), id Software (sidescrollers), Bethesda (hockey games)

None of these game companies are no longer known for the stuff they first started to make
lol yeah for sure, same with old console devs, Naughty Dog made RPGs and fighting games

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Klei Entertainment has done lots of different genres. I think the longest they've stuck to one element is Shank and it's sequel (two beat 'em ups), and Mark of the Ninja (side scrolling action game) and Invisible Inc. (turn based game) both having major stealth aspect.
They also have two survival management games, Oxygen Not Included and Don't Starve. The latter of which is their biggest hit and they continue to make content for. Then there's a first person arcade platformer, Hot Lava. Klei and Double Fine are the most eclectic indie devs I know.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The Talos Principle: A cerebral puzzle game with a deeply philosophical story

The dev's main game series? Serious Sam, the biggest, dumbest game around.
serious-sam-4-planet-badass-8.jpg

OP
OP
Magog

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
I'm not tooo familiar with the developer's history here but does Alien Isolation count?
Yes although reading the wiki for it they brought in a lot of outside talent since they had no experience with that type of game and presumably they were fired afterward as they have gone back to making the kinds of games they are known for.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Yes although reading the wiki for it they brought in a lot of outside talent since they had no experience with that type of game and presumably they were fired afterward as they have gone back to making the kinds of games they are known for.

That makes sense I don't know too much about the studio I just knew Isolation was different to what they usually do.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Plenty
A plague tale to flight sim
Killzone to horizon
Mid development halo to halo :D
And now playground with fable

Many of these really aren't that big of a jump. Take Horizon for instance, it's essentially a third person shooter most of the time. It shares a lot of its DNA with Killzone, even down to the sci fi designs.

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
I'm always reminded of 40K: Space Marine by Relic whenever I think of games that are a bit left field when you know the company that made them. Its arguably not the first action shooter they've made (the Outfit predates it) plus its not the first 40k games they've made. But to have this fast paced arcady shooter/brawler to come out of a studio that primary makes real time strategy games must have been a bit of a shift for them.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Toylogic went from "Happy Wars" and "Happy Dungeons" to NieR Replicant Remake. What~

Edit: apparently they also made a survival horror game in between the Happy games.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
Hah, I initially thought it was about the loss of goodwill from the devs for taking a "neutral" stance on GamerGate...

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Rockstar Games made a game about sentient unicycles before they went on to the PS2.

SNES_Uniracers_cover_art.jpg

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
"a bigger about face than The Astronauts"

Sometimes I think I don't understand English. 🤨
I have no idea what OP means.

OP
OP
Magog

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
Gran Turismo to Omega Boost?
You're still controlling a vehicle but yeah quite different. They picked up some talent to make the game apparently.
Similarities between Omega Boost and Sega's Panzer Dragoon series led to a rumor that former members of Team Andromeda, dissolved in 1998, had joined Polyphony Digital. This rumor turned out to be true as the lead designer and programmer on Omega Boost was Yuji Yasuhara,[SUP][1][/SUP] who had worked on Panzer Dragoon Zwei.

And then he stayed with them through Gran Turismo 6 before making a bomber man game.

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017

This here is the truth.

I was gob smacked playing Talos, I never knew Serious Sam devs had it in them to go in this direction. And a great game it is.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say Enix in the early '80s was pretty much the poster child of throwing ideas at a wall.

Even just focusing on Yuji Horii, he went from Love Match Tennis...

3046620-4.png

To some of the first visual novels (some of which being pretty mature)...

2233174-6001_3.png

And then, finally, Dragon Quest, which is basically the OG JRPG and the company's bread and butter.

Dragonquest-300x243.gif

OP
OP
Magog

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021

That's a very similar departure honestly. I'm surprised neither studio decided to combine the action with the puzzling for a sequel since they both know how to do both. That's the kind of thing which might get more universal acclaim.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Speaking of witchfire...where the hell is it? Have we heard anything since that initial teaser?

Oct 27, 2017
Rocksteady going from Urban Chaos: Riot Response to Batman: Arkham Asylum is probably the steepest increase in quality between subsequent games of any dev I can think of.