• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What say you? HOF leaker?

• Yay

Votes: 677 59.6%
  • Nay

Votes: 459 40.4%

• Total voters

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
why do you celebrate these people? it's gross.

Because if not for them, people would have to wait TWO WHOLE days for the reveal. Sacrebleu!

This leaker is just ruining surprises, they have access to YouTube's uploads, and can only leak announcements that are going to be revealed in the next couple of days. I don't understand why people give them cloud.

EagleBen

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A YouTube employee leaking announcements a day early is pathetic. Thousands of people over the years likely had the same access.

Soon companies will just stop uploading videos to YouTube early, and we will be without 4K videos when the conferences are over. A real POS this guy.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Considering some shows are like 1.30 to 2 friggin hours, which only 15 mins may interest you... Yeah , I like leaks, so I can know if the show is for me or not.

Of course I know it sucks for the people involved, so Iknow it's not a good thing for the industry, but for me... Sure it is.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Personally I thought NTKRNL was more epic than CBOAT. That account leaking all of Xbox's plans for 2+ years over the course of a couple hours was probably the most epic gaming leak of all time.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the stuff they leak like 2-3 days out from announcement? That's barely leaking tbh

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
The Snitch just gets you info 1-2 days early, that's about it. They're less an actual insider and more someone with access to the data a bit early

I think to be a "legendary" insider you probably need to actually do some more significant work to get your info and probably have it more than two days in advance of an official reveal.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
A YouTube employee leaking announcements a day early is pathetic. Thousands of people over the years likely had the same access.

Soon companies will just stop uploading videos to YouTube early, and we will be without 4K videos when the conferences are over. A real POS this guy.
Is this a theory or confirmed?

Seems like a decent theory either way.

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
Didnt the snitch get to know Overdose which was NOT in any of the conference videos?

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
In recent years yeah he's clearly been the best, no question about it

EDIT: ok aside from Nvidia lol

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017
They're' certainly more accomplished than others in the culture who are simply guessing and hoping for the best. So I give them a bunch of credit for legitimately leaking things and having a great track record (so far).

Let's give it a bit before they make it into the HOF like CBOAT

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
His leaks are accurate, but he just has access to hidden YT videos when the go up a few days in advance. Not as interesting or impressive as learning about things months or years in advance.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY

I dont know if this speculation is correct but if it is, The Snitch isn't really an insider or anything. He just happens to have access to the videos about to drop working at Google/YT.

I dont think this person should be seen as an insider. Just my own take.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
They're like 90% of the way there. It's just a matter of one more scoop to me and then I'll start assuming everything they say is true.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
Cboat was the first that game to mind. Though Tom Morello leaked stuff for one game (Halo), those leaks were legendary. Seriously, handheld camera footage of a VHS recording of Halo, while in a barn? Who does that? Legends.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
No one is gonna beat NTKernel, dude literally revealed Microsoft's entire slate of announcements for that year. 100% a pissed off MS employee lol

Altezein

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Even if they shared 'leaks' that no one saw comming like Persona and Crisis Core, at the end of day it's just spoilers from preuploaded youtube videos a day before they premiere. Not the greatest kind of leak tbh. Scoops like 'Naughty dog is remaking TLOU' or 'Kojima is working with Xbox" months before their announcements are way bigger.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just shocked Sony/Microsoft lawyers haven't ninja'd him yet. I'd be SUPER interested if they started leaking Nintendo stuff, if they dared haha.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Personally I thought NTKRNL was more epic than CBOAT. That account leaking all of Xbox's plans for 2+ years over the course of a couple hours was probably the most epic gaming leak of all time.
It's weird to look back on major leaks now that everything in it is very old news. Found a Kotaku article so I don't have to link back to the old site directly. All of that seemed like such groundbreaking news at the time, but now it's like "yeah there was a white Xbox One, so what?"

Really interesting how the plans for Halo 2 Anniversary morphed into the Master Chief Collection over such a short period.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yes.

This gets revoked, however, if they lose access to the YouTube backend or whatever, and then make shit up. Like how many one hit wonder leakers end up.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We really don't need a hall of fame for leakers. Can we plz not. We shouldn't be extending celebrity culture to leakers.
Please guys.... Please 🥺

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Yes, YouTube has cemented itself as the place to work if you want reliable information on upcoming videogames that you shouldn't leak to the public

But I also think it's only a matter of time before they get found out and terminated.

This leaker is just ruining surprises, they have access to YouTube's uploads, and can only leak announcements that are going to be revealed in the next couple of days. I don't understand why people give them cloud.

Yeah, this is basically my view on this. If a game dev is responsible for leaking something early by leaving something up they shouldn't have during an office tour or some employee of the dev telling a friend they should not have told, that's on them.

However, if it's a situation like this where the leaker has access to information from a 3rd party distributor that the developer has no choice but to rely on, it's really shitty for that person to make everyone's lives potentially worse by leaking it a day early.

As EagleBen said, the most likely outcome of this, if YouTube doesn't publicly announce the caught and fired the person, is for companies to just stop uploading early. Shittier video quality for everyone.

Nesther

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
I despise how things get "leaked" hours to days in advance. That is just bullshit, ruining the surprise for many and cheap clout chasing. Super disappointed how people like that are being celebrated.

Leaking things months or years in advance is one thing, doing it right around a planned event is the worst.