• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metacritic (PS4) (??)
Metacritic (Switch) (54)
OpenCritic (51)

Mashable (no score):
I wish the disappointment in a game series I loved as a kid wasn't enough to barrel me over emotionally. But it's just the cherry on top of a year that's proven how absolutely nothing is sacred, no one you love is safe, and entropy destroys all things that exist in linear time (again, not to be dramatic). Harvest Moon is dead. May she rest in peace after someone finally puts her shambling corpse out of its grotesque, reanimated misery.

LadiesGamers.com (liked):
Harvest Moon: One World isn't part of the long standing series of games that went on under the name Story of Seasons in the West some years ago. Nevertheless, it focuses on the same game idea and audience. While I'm not sure it's a good idea to seek competition with Story of Seasons by releasing in the same month, I did like my time in One World.

Is it as good as as Story of Seasons games? No it's not. In comparison the world feels empty and the characters a bit flat. The dating scene could use some sprucing up too. But judged on its own by this farming simulation fan I can honestly say I enjoyed it. The developers tried out some novel ideas, like the Expando-Farm. And not having to bother with scrolling through your pocket for the right tool: the game always does the right action at the right time. An excellent range of various crops and a new way to get your seeds. The farming itself really felt fresh to me.

So even though I wonder if the price point isn't a bit high and the opinions on the internet vary quite a bit on Harvest Moon: One World I must say it kept me playing for quite some hours. But I want to add, keeping my comments above in mind, the game should have been offered at a significant lower price point than the competition's game.

GAMES.CH (69%):
Harvest Moon One World lives up to its name and lets players travel through a world with different climate zones and challenges. There are countless plants to grow, which creates the typical farming pull very well. It would be a good game if quest givers didn't just fade away and someone would put more effort into the graphics.

DASHGAMER.com (6.5/10):
Regardless, Harvest Moon: One World is exemplary. I refrain from using exceptional due to its glaring omissions that are now prevalent within the Story of Seasons series. One World tries to reinstate itself as the industry standard in adventure-type simulation, but lacks a certain heart and unfortunately its charm wears thing after a short period.

Cerealkillerz (6.5/10, review in German):
Fans of the series will quickly find in Harvest Moon: One World that the glamor of the previous day is unfortunately gone. Farmer's life is surprisingly monotonous and boring with little detail, graphically outdated and playfully flat. The five different regions provide a bit of relief, but due to the shallow action and tasks they can hardly motivate over a longer period of time.

Digitally Downloaded (3/5):
Harvest Moon: One World is ultimately forgettable and limited, but I didn't regret my time playing it. Perhaps that is simply because I'm such a fan of these anime-casual farming sims, and have been since the "genre" emerged all the way back on the SNES, but as someone who has played an awful lot of these things, One World's effort to do something different by getting you to travel around, and the streamlining of the farming mechanics so you can focus on the best bits, is admirable. There's still a long way to go for Natsume and its development teams to catch Story of Seasons, and I question the wisdom in releasing this game to compete directly with the upcoming new entry in that series, but this is still a genuinely pleasant little world to lose yourself within for a while.

Millenium (60/100, review in French):
At first glance, Harvest Moon: One World isn't very attractive graphically, but it's still a good farm game. All the features you'd expect are there and even if the landscapes are still very poor, the game offers a good storyline with several regions to explore, seasonal events and some nice improvements like teleportation. This new Harvest Moon game will certainly delight the franchise's lovers, but remains a light version of what we could expect in 2021.

IGN (5/10):
At the heart of Harvest Moon: One World is an interesting twist on farming sims, but its bland, soulless world kills all potential.

Critical Hit (5/10):
A half-hearted, boring attempt at a farming RPG, Harvest Moon: One World does nothing especially well. Even though it does show some initial promise, it quickly squanders that on poor farming mechanics, a bland open-world and lifeless characters.

4Players.de (41/100, review in German):
While the changing biomes and surfaces are a nice idea, the core with its simplified farm labor is presented too lackluster and monotonous.

iMore (2/5):
Harvest Moon: One World left me wanting more. As I played, I kept waiting for things to get better, but nothing ended up exciting me. Even some of the more interesting storylines in certain town quests were overshadowed by how tedious others were, not to mention the absence of any feelings of progression given that tools can't be upgraded to make life easier. When I thought about other similar games, I wished I were playing them instead. I think it's safe to say that you won't miss out on anything by skipping this entry in the Harvest Moon series. When it comes to farming- and life simulator games, you'll definitely find better games on the Nintendo Switch.

WellPlayed (4/10):
One World certainly isn't unplayable, and while I'm sure some may enjoy it, compared to the many other farming sims I've tried and reviewed in the past couple of years it feels like this is something from the distant past. At best it's vastly underwhelming, unpolished and almost like an early build rather than a finished product. When you take into account that this isn't a game being sold at a bargain price but a full AUD $69.95 title, I would highly recommending waiting it out for a price drop before shelling out your hard-earned cash for this title. I'm usually very quick to sink good time into farming sims without noticing, but not this time. Any enjoyment was quickly washed away by a core design that seemed tailor to suck the fun out of things. I'm sad that this title doesn't move the series forward in any of the ways that it should, and with the game out at the time of this review and devoid of any updates or patches I feel as though that's how it'll stay.

Last edited:

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Someone tell that poor Mashable reviewer that HM is now Story of Seasons

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Still sad they decided to take back that legendary name and just smash it to the ground :(
Oh well, thankfully the original studio is still working on SoS.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
lol. they talk about story of seasons in the review so they know the situation, but that makes their dramatic reaction to the game being bad even funnier.

Is story of seasons spiritual sequel to the Harvest Moon saga by same devs while new harvest moon was done by someone else? I keep mixing these games up.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Dear Natsume,

Would you please stop milking the name Harvest Moon? Try to put the bare minimum effort to make a decent game at least once.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Is story of seasons spiritual sequel to the Harvest Moon saga by same devs while new harvest moon was done by someone else? I keep mixing these games up.
Story of Seasons is the Harvest Moon everyone knows and loves. Bokujo Monogatari in Japan.

The current Harvest Moon is a knock-off with the same title because Natsume owns the rights to the name and nothing else.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017

Story of Seasons is what it always has been, Harvest Moon was the localized name until some years ago when Marvelous (the dev) parted ways with Natsume and decided to self publish the games under Story of Seasons.

Natsume has, since then, milking the Harvest Moon with horrible games to gain some nickels.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The Mashable review is a work of art

Indeed, I'll read every review made by Jess Joho from now on lol

The big, ugly map boasts six uninspired regions you're supposed to teleport your whole ass farm back and forth from via some sort of inexplicable technology. And, let me tell you, the absolute last thing I want from a Harvest Moon game in 2021 while I'm drowning in Zoom calls, charging cables, and the ever-present glow of a computer screen is the introduction of a fucking high-tech energy machine that powers my mobile virtual farm (?).

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I mean this without hyperbole of any sort; this is one of the ugliest games I've seen in years. It's not even that it looks like a mobile game, I play mobile games regularly that look generations ahead of this. Character models, animations, textures, art direction, it's all just so off-putting that it turns you off of the game altogether.

Deleted member 92267

Banned
Feb 22, 2021
Natsume has, since then, milking the Harvest Moon with horrible games to gain some nickels.

Was curious who is actually making these games now...

https://appci.jp/works/

What a weird developer, they are a Japanese company making games that they don`t even release in Japan .

A bunch of random mobile games, Little Dragons Cafe, harvest moon games and background modeling for Yakuza 0??

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
When i heard Vinny talk about this on the Bombcast i was immediately like oh no man... what are you doing....

Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
Seems mediocre/a little below average, as expected. That said, I have a soft spot for these games crop mutation system and I like the marriageable characters designs a lot, so I'll be sure to get it down the line (after a price cut, because I really don't need to play it now with story of seasons around the corner).

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WellPlayed (4/10):
One World certainly isn't unplayable, and while I'm sure some may enjoy it, compared to the many other farming sims I've tried and reviewed in the past couple of years it feels like this is something from the distant past. At best it's vastly underwhelming, unpolished and almost like an early build rather than a finished product. When you take into account that this isn't a game being sold at a bargain price but a full AUD $69.95 title, I would highly recommending waiting it out for a price drop before shelling out your hard-earned cash for this title. I'm usually very quick to sink good time into farming sims without noticing, but not this time. Any enjoyment was quickly washed away by a core design that seemed tailor to suck the fun out of things. I'm sad that this title doesn't move the series forward in any of the ways that it should, and with the game out at the time of this review and devoid of any updates or patches I feel as though that's how it'll stay.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
As expected.

From what I'm hearing about Pioneers of Olive Town, I shudder to think about the scores for that game, especially since the last 3 SoS games have scored solidly around the 75 mark.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As expected.

From what I'm hearing about Pioneers of Olive Town, I shudder to think about the scores for that game, especially since the last 3 SoS games have scored solidly around the 75 mark.
it's a big bummer that they've launched the game in that state :( and the western release is soon so it's not like they can fix all the issues by then.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Story of Seasons isn't just the spiritual sequel, it's the actual same series (Bokujo Monogatari). Natsume just retained the rights to the "Harvest Moon" name in the west, and then they decided to cash in on unaware shoppers by releasing a series of hastily-made knockoffs under the familiar brand.

It's all pretty sad.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
I still think it's so dishonest for them to keep releasing "Harvest Moon" games knowing there's a chunk of the audience that isn't aware that these aren't even the same games anymore.

I get there's technically nothing *wrong* about that, but it still feels gross.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
...Have any of the post SOS/HM split Harvest Moon games been good? They've always looked really bad and cheaply made to me, so I've passed on all of them and just stuck with SOS.
I still think it's so dishonest for them to keep releasing "Harvest Moon" games knowing there's a chunk of the audience that isn't aware that these aren't even the same games anymore.

I get there's technically nothing *wrong* about that, but it still feels gross.
It's def dishonest and intentional as it drives sales from people who are like "oh hey I played this as a kid and loved it lemme give it a try!"

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Messed up part is that they release these subpar games always around the time of the real SoS games and now even get to charge full console price for it. Damn.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
...Have any of the post SOS/HM split Harvest Moon games been good? They've always looked really bad and cheaply made to me, so I've passed on all of them and just stuck with SOS.

I don't think either are very good. Obviously Natsume HM is horrible but I found every SOS I played to be ok at best

thank god for Stardew Valley, at least

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I don't think either are very good. Obviously Natsume HM is horrible but I found every SOS I played to be ok at best

thank god for Stardew Valley, at least
I disagree. I've had fun with both new SOS games (FOMT wasn't really for me) and while I like stardew (esp the multiplayer), I find it lacks a lot of the charm I get out of Story of Seasons. But to each their own 🤷🏻‍♀️

Lol nah I tried RF4S for the first time this year and found to be mind numbing. I think I just don't like the forced dungeon aspect of that or STARDEW....

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
No. SOS has been okay at best, as well, but still enjoyable.

Rune Factory is the future.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
...Have any of the post SOS/HM split Harvest Moon games been good?
these are all the HM games by natsume (some are puzzle spin-offs)

screenshot2021-03-14a1gk7t.png

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
wow One World's score is quite a bit lower than Light of Hope

honestly natsume should have probably stuck on trying to improve the Minecraft-esque formula from The Lost Valley

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Not surprising but Natsume seems to have an audience that does not seem to mind the issues in their farming games since everyone they have made has rather low scores.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Milking a name that once meant something to me. I prefer supporting the original devs with their Story of Seasons series, the real "Harvest Moon".

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising but Natsume seems to have an audience that does not seem to mind the issues in their farming games since everyone they have made has rather low scores.
A lot of people are loyal to the HM name even if you explain it to them and are getting tricked by Natsume.