• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
This looks bad. I honestly think it looks worse than the PS2/GCN games in a lot of ways.

Pretty disappointing.

Now... How can I get story of seasons on PS4?

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
gotta give credit when it's due, they've come pretty far from where they started

harvest-moon-loh_08-1f2jnk.jpg
I thought i was looking at a Facebook Farmville game before i read what you posted.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Ooof, looks rough. Harvest Moon is a zombie non-franchise right now.

Reminds me to pick up SoS:FoMT when I get the chance.

Squidlydoo

Dec 11, 2020
I loved the SNES one but didn't get into any others, to the point I don't even remember which one's I've tried. Which are generally regarded as the 'good ones'?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
100% believe they got a Gamepass offer. Can't see why else they'd suddenly add Xbox after the fact lol. Unless light of Hope surprised them sales wise after the fact. Regardless, always good to see more content for the system.

IamPeacock

Feb 9, 2018
Belgium
Those Harvest Moon games always make feel like we're in the begin 2000 again, graphically that is. Seems like they never properly evolved.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
natsume never made the old harverst moon games. marvelous developed the games and published the games in japan, natsume just handled publishing outside of japan. they however, owned the trademark for "harvest moon". at some point, marvelous decided to stop working with natsume and instead have xseed (their subsidiary) handle localization and publishing in the west. but since they didn't own the harvest moon name, they had to pick a new name and went with story of seasons. meanwhile natsume has been using the harvest moon name and releasing low-quality games and kinda pretending they're continuing the old series.
Dev wise it's a bit more complicated though. Like for example the new HM dev (Appci) was actually formed by old Victor/Marvelous vets and they also work with Toybox, the production company of Bokujou Monogatari's real creator (Yasuhiro Wada). Dev DNA wise Marvelous today isn't really any closer to the late 90s/early 00s heyday staff than Natsume/Appci is.

And the Pokémon 3DS comparison is exta funny as Appci actually did contract work on USUM.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
100% believe they got a Gamepass offer. Can't see why else they'd suddenly add Xbox after the fact lol. Unless light of Hope surprised them sales wise after the fact. Regardless, always good to see more content for the system.
But why would Microsoft pay for this and not Story of Seasons, which is the real HM?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
But why would Microsoft pay for this and not Story of Seasons, which is the real HM?

No clue. If I were to guess it would be they wanted Stardew Valley, that didn't work out and went with Harvest Moon since it was on the platform prior and name branding wise is more known than story of seasons for more common fans of these games.

Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
I'm honestly interested in this. Doesn't look great but the natsume HM games have some interesting ideas with the crop mutations, and the marriageable characters don't look like kids for once.

I won't get it at launch though, march is Story of Seasons' month. I'll wait for a discount some time in the future.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
The new trailer doesn't seem as offensive as the first somehow, though it's really short and hardly shows much at all.

Indie efforts such as Littlewood, Coral Island and Potion Permit look leagues above this.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
It is strange to me how this is getting limited editions through both NIS America and Limited Run Games.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

I'm going to call utter bullshit on that. And even if it's true, deciding more representation is the one feature you want to cut to meet your deadline is a really shitty move.

Actually the whole paragraph is awful; they're admitting they've cut multiple features, plural, in order to meet the release date, instead of delaying. Even assuming anyone would want to throw money on this when SoS and Stardew Valley exists, why would anyone be OK with a game that self-admittedly cut corners?

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fuck this goddess damn answer.

You can create five love interest for each gender but you can't have one of them being Bisexual at the least?

Also I don't believe for an instant that "do it right" means anything more than they will make it so there are a few Bi folks and not actually make real lesbians Or gay men.

I hate this industry so damn much sometimes.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Sooo, this game came out ya? It was my dang counter-pick in my league, but nobodies reviewing it. Anyone actually try it?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Sooo, this game came out ya? It was my dang counter-pick in my league, but nobodies reviewing it. Anyone actually try it?
I just listened to some of the Giant Bomb Beastcast and Vinny said he had played a new Harvest Moon game (I think it was this one).

Sadly he didn't seem that impressed. Didn't seem like he enjoyed the farm moving mechanic and I think overall he just thought it was boring.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
It's out, but it seems like Natsume didn't advertise or send out any review copies.
I just listened to some of the Giant Bomb Beastcast and Vinny said he had played a new Harvest Moon game (I think it was this one).

Sadly he didn't seem that impressed. Didn't seem like he enjoyed the farm moving mechanic and I think overall he just thought it was boring.
NintendoLife talked about doing a review for it and for the new SOS. Both probably suck though.
Ooooh okay thanks for the info! So most likely we'll get some reviews just later on.

And I'd love a good Harvest Moon, but in this case I would get a good amount of points if this game tanks in review score... so I'm torn. Haha.

Jul 18, 2020
Ooooh okay thanks for the info! So most likely we'll get some reviews just later on.

And I'd love a good Harvest Moon, but in this case I would get a good amount of points if this game tanks in review score... so I'm torn. Haha.

I'm on the same boat, I'd love a good new HM/SOS. But hey, at least Rune Factory 5 looks absolutely masterful so there's still some hope!

Soltis

Feb 28, 2019
United States
Oh, wow, so despite Stardew Valley having pretty much ruined *both* Harvest Moon and Story of Seasons for me...here I was, about to give them praise for the character designs and chief gimmick of this game.

Buuuut the fact that they're passing on same-sex marriage is majorly lame. As far as I'm concerned, that should be a standard feature at this point for any game with dating sim elements, but especially for farming sims after Stardew's immense and ongoing success.