• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
actual screenshot phone camera shot of the first Plow & Propose game:
kSk0twW.jpg
I hope stuff like that stops showing up now that wyrdwad is gone. Dude pretty much admitted that he loved shoving innuendo into these games for funsies. Pretty gross, imo.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Her comment reminds me: Story of Seasons (the second 3DS game, after A New Beginning and before Trio of Towns, not including Natsume's bad port of Tale of Two Towns) is so weird because it had the most farmers by volume, so having a town with establishments built around catering pretty much exclusively to farmers would have made a lot of sense, but instead you pretty much rely on traders coming in from distant lands like Not India and Not Japan to buy different types of seeds and what have you's.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Story of Seasons is a bummer for me because it probably has my favorite villager art of all the HM/SoS games, but between the super slow beginning (seriously, do people complain about not knowing how to farm? It feels weird to go from the older games where nothing is explained to you to the newer ones where they spend a lot of time on it) and the artificial lengthening of your playtime I could never get past more than a few months. I feel like the latter was at its worst in the ToTT-SoS period.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I remember really digging it because it was such a huge* step up from A New Beginning

*Minor improvement in terms of movement speed and inventory management

Oct 28, 2017
Hear, hear! This would be a dream scenario!
I don't fully agree but only because they took the rival marriages out of the FoMT remake. Rival events, rival marriage, and the eight unique rival children were a huge part of the greatness of Animal Parade for me. If they remake it without that system intact, it is a significant amount of cut content, the same content that kept me playing the game long after the story was over.

I am over the moon that we're finally seeing LGBT positive interactions in these games though, so if there's a way to remake Animal Parade with equal marriage that still retains the rival children, I'd be all over it. The only good argument I've seen for removal of the rival system in the FoMT remake is that it removes the feeling of "everyone in this world is straight"... although they did keep in the first two rival events, so it doesn't even do that well. Feels like Marv is trying to have their cake and eat it too, if you know what I mean.

Personally I feel like Magical Melody is a game that could benefit greatly from the FoMT treatment, since there were not romantic rivals in that game. I admit that I'm pushing for my favorite here though! It would also be interesting to see modern spins on some of the more oddball entries in the series, like the Wonderful Life games or a version of Island of Happiness/Sunshine Islands with modern controls and that removes or significantly tones down the awful weather system.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Seems like all the romantic text is kept with the Best Friends system. It's weird they don't just call it marriage.
M0ZJ1iI.png

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's the English hack. I've also seen text calling it simply marriage, so that's a win for the localization even if it's very apparently an early draft with problems like untranslated text or text marked for revision. Shame the hack is so rough, but I guess people were too impatient to figure out a way to make it display properly and just wanted to drop the text into the game as-is.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I don't fully agree but only because they took the rival marriages out of the FoMT remake. Rival events, rival marriage, and the eight unique rival children were a huge part of the greatness of Animal Parade for me. If they remake it without that system intact, it is a significant amount of cut content, the same content that kept me playing the game long after the story was over.

I am over the moon that we're finally seeing LGBT positive interactions in these games though, so if there's a way to remake Animal Parade with equal marriage that still retains the rival children, I'd be all over it. The only good argument I've seen for removal of the rival system in the FoMT remake is that it removes the feeling of "everyone in this world is straight"... although they did keep in the first two rival events, so it doesn't even do that well. Feels like Marv is trying to have their cake and eat it too, if you know what I mean.

Personally I feel like Magical Melody is a game that could benefit greatly from the FoMT treatment, since there were not romantic rivals in that game. I admit that I'm pushing for my favorite here though! It would also be interesting to see modern spins on some of the more oddball entries in the series, like the Wonderful Life games or a version of Island of Happiness/Sunshine Islands with modern controls and that removes or significantly tones down the awful weather system.
They didn't remove rivals because they imply straightness, they removed rivals because the Japanese audience apparently hates the system and felt guilty for getting in the way of couples that were "meant" to be together.

Oct 28, 2017
They didn't remove rivals because they imply straightness, they removed rivals because the Japanese audience apparently hates the system and felt guilty for getting in the way of couples that were "meant" to be together.
I know that, I think I may have even posted it earlier in this thread. Hashimoto has been quoted saying this several times - male players get mad when the rival takes their choice, and girl players don't get married at all because they feel like the rival is a better match.

I was saying that "removing the assumed straightness of everyone in the game world" is the only good argument in favor of removing rivals that I have seen from all sources, including the fandom.

Heck, even the gender binary thing encoded into almost every video game is starting to get to me a lot lately. I think that's one of the reasons I'd like to see a remake of Magical Melody with equal marriage enabled, so that Jamie can finally be the nonbinary icon they were meant to be all along.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, xseed is being pretty tight lipped on these release dates so I'm not expecting them anytime soon. My biggest worry is that they're going to send Rune Factory 4 S or Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town out to die (aka in the same launch window as Animal Crossing: New Horizons) and my second biggest worry is that they will hold onto them for so long that consumer interest fizzles out.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the double post, there was a pretty okay overview on this game posted on the Ranch Story Blog tumblr and figured some people might like to read it.

Pretty cool of them to put together an OT for us

I think 2019 was mainly for Rune Factory 4 S, but I'm still waiting for that too.

I'm flabbergasted this doesn't have a release date yet, but it looks like they've officially changed the release window to "This Winter" so I guess it's a January title.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017

An update is coming to the game featuring a reindeer costume and festival decorations.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Xseed I need a release date for this so badly! First got into the series with Magical melody, then played Another Wonderful Life, all the DS games and then the wii/3DS games. Never gotten to play any of the older games/mineral town. That reindeer costume is too adorable <3

Though since we still dont even have a release date for Rune Factory 4 switch I'm not expecting this until summer at the earliest then maybe RF5 in fall/winter.

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
Art style is not great, but I absolutely adored the original... (WTF did they do to best waifu, i.e., Ann???)

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Art style is not great, but I absolutely adored the original... (WTF did they do to best waifu, i.e., Ann???)

In short, all the character designs were changed to suit their personalities/roles in Mineral Town because their old designs were made for 64. Lots of stuff in their designs were very specific to 64, including things like Karen/Cliff's blonde highlights being from their grandmother in the original SNES game and such. In long, there's an entire fan-article series discussing the changes here: https://ranchstoryblog.tumblr.com/post/187598083249/well-looks-like-the-then-and-now-series-for

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
I see - makes more sense given the context, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it! Looking forward to the NA release regardless, just a small thing really - the daily loop is what I'm really hungering for. I can't quite pin down why, but as well put-together as Stardew Valley is, it just does not scratch the same itch for me.

I am also really looking forward to RF5, because I have been replaying 4 and it DEFINITELY hits the spot.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i need this in my life so bad lol. (Sorry animal crossing)

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
they occupy similar brainspace for me, they're top down chillaxing life simulators

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see - makes more sense given the context, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it! Looking forward to the NA release regardless, just a small thing really - the daily loop is what I'm really hungering for. I can't quite pin down why, but as well put-together as Stardew Valley is, it just does not scratch the same itch for me.

I am also really looking forward to RF5, because I have been replaying 4 and it DEFINITELY hits the spot.
Stardew Valley, for as great as it is, misses some fundamental charm and substance/excitement that the original Harvest Moon games have. Playing SDV, to me, always feels relatively empty compared to HM.

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
Stardew Valley, for as great as it is, misses some fundamental charm and substance/excitement that the original Harvest Moon games have. Playing SDV, to me, always feels relatively empty compared to HM.
I think that does have a lot to do with it - "empty" is a great way to put it. The game feels like it is lacking in soul, which is what really helps to draw me in now that I am thinking about it. I love the farming mechanics in SDV, but I can't get truly engaged with the world like I can in an old school HM or RF game.

Animal Crossing was mentioned earlier and I think it's a great example of that charm as well - there is just something special about the characters and art style that really works to get you invested in the game on a deeper level.

It's so hard to pin down that it's actually a point of frustration for me. Such an ephemeral thing having such a large impact on my enjoyment makes it really difficult for me to determine how much I might like a game before sitting down with it.

Oct 28, 2017
I have the same problem with Stardew Valley as finalflame and Izayoi - the game is simply missing that "je ne sais quoi" factor that is present for me in games like Story of Seasons, Style Savvy, Animal Crossing, Fantasy Life, and other similar games. Even Disney Magical World 1&2 have it, though it is a very Disney (sterile, safe, manufactured, corporate) version of that undefinable thing.

It isn't anything you can pin down in any one part of the game, but when you combine each disparate element into a whole, it just rings hollow. I can clearly see the potential of Stardew Valley, which just makes it all the more disappointing for how close it got to having that whatever it is thing.

Last edited:

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
It's a feeling I closely associate with hygge, but I got curious and Wikipedia worked its magic, and I found that the Dutch "gezelligheid" is actually more fitting for what we might be talking about with these games:

It is often used to describe a social and relaxed situation. It can also indicate belonging, time spent with loved ones, catching up with an old friend or just the general togetherness that gives people a warm feeling.

A common trait to all descriptions of gezelligheid is a general and abstract sensation of individual well-being that one typically shares with others. All descriptions involve a positive atmosphere, flow or vibe that colours the individual personal experience in a favorable way and in one way or another corresponds to social contexts.

Oct 28, 2017
So is this good for a animal crossing fix or should i stick with Stardew valley?
At this rate, Animal Crossing: New Horizons will be released before Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town. (Assuming you're an English exclusive speaker.)

There are other games that have similar vibes but if you're content with Stardew then have a blast. I think the Doraemon Story of Seasons game is on sale right now if you skipped that waiting for a sale.

It's a feeling I closely associate with hygge, but I got curious and Wikipedia worked its magic, and I found that the Dutch "gezelligheid" is actually more fitting for what we might be talking about with these games:
I like this word.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Yeah, xseed is being pretty tight lipped on these release dates so I'm not expecting them anytime soon. My biggest worry is that they're going to send Rune Factory 4 S or Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town out to die (aka in the same launch window as Animal Crossing: New Horizons) and my second biggest worry is that they will hold onto them for so long that consumer interest fizzles out.
I'm already fizzled out pretty much.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I seriously can't wait for this game so I'm glad that we're at least getting Rune Factory 4 S to tide the wait.

dsripley

Sep 24, 2019
Isn't that coming out in July?

Rune Factory 4 Special is coming out in February, according to Best Buy and Amazon. I don't think XSEED has officially said anything yet but Feb 25 doesn't seem like a placeholder date. Hopefully we will get more news about Story of Seasons soon after RF4S comes out.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Rune Factory 4 Special is coming out in February, according to Best Buy and Amazon. I don't think XSEED has officially said anything yet but Feb 25 doesn't seem like a placeholder date. Hopefully we will get more news about Story of Seasons soon after RF4S comes out.
That would be amazing! I was prepared to wait half a year, I'd be super happy with Feb. RF5 is supposed to come out this year too isn't it?

dsripley

Sep 24, 2019
That would be amazing! I was prepared to wait half a year, I'd be super happy with Feb. RF5 is supposed to come out this year too isn't it?

I think so! However I'm skeptical that it will be localized in 2020, I feel like it will probably come out in Japan this year and then we will get it next year. But who knows! I will be happy as long as RF4S and the Mineral Town both come out this year. If RF5 does make it to the west this year, that would be an excellent bonus!

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
I think so! However I'm skeptical that it will be localized in 2020, I feel like it will probably come out in Japan this year and then we will get it next year. But who knows! I will be happy as long as RF4S and the Mineral Town both come out this year. If RF5 does make it to the west this year, that would be an excellent bonus!
For sure, really I'm just dying for Mineral Town and will get RF4S to hold me over. I've never been super huge on the HM spin-offs but maybe this will be the one to change that.

dsripley

Sep 24, 2019
For sure, really I'm just dying for Mineral Town and will get RF4S to hold me over. I've never been super huge on the HM spin-offs but maybe this will be the one to change that.

I totally agree! I had RF4 on 3ds and let a friend borrow it and then never got it back, so that's the only reason why I'm considering getting it lol. I'm definitely more interested in the Mineral Town remake for sure. (Also, off topic but I love your avatar!)

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
I totally agree! I had RF4 on 3ds and let a friend borrow it and then never got it back, so that's the only reason why I'm considering getting it lol. I'm definitely more interested in the Mineral Town remake for sure. (Also, off topic but I love your avatar!)
I'm actually sort of in that same boat lol. I had RF1 on DS, let a friend borrow it and never got it back. Excited to give the series another chance though.

(And thanks! I love Inio's style. I don't know what your avatar is, but I recognize it from a picture I have on my phone of whoever that person is slowly turning into a peanut.)