• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
But why didnt remake the original ps1 story of season instead?
I mean, they kind of did. If you want the entire lineage...

Back to Nature (PS1) is a "reimagining" of Harvest Moon 64 (N64), which was the first sequel to Harvest Moon (SNES).
They released a "for Girl" version of Back to Nature in Japan (PS1).
They rereleased both versions in a single package as Harvest Moon: Boy & Girl (PSP).
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town and Harvest Moon: More Friends of Mineral Town are remakes of Back to Nature (GBA).
Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town is a remake of FoMT & MFoMT in a single package (Switch).

What we have here is a remake of a remake of a reimagined game.

If I buy this JP version will I get the EN version as well once it comes out?
I would guess no, since there aren't many games that give you both English and Japanese text on Switch, especially not as an update concurrent with the English release. However, this game might do that because there's already an almost complete localization in the code of the Japanese version for some reason, and people with hacked Switches have been able to patch it in as the main text used by the game.

Bottom line, not impossible for them to do this, but it is extremely unlikely. The best people to ask would be Marvelous themselves, because the average internet user can't know this information no matter how closely they're following this game.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But why didnt remake the original ps1 story of season instead?

It is...? At least, it's a remake of a demake of that game. Friends of Mineral Town was basically a GBA version of Back to Nature after removing a few NPCs that didn't have any events dropping a festival or two, and adding a bunch of new stuff. This has its own new content and at least one new festival I know of.

If I buy this JP version will I get the EN version as well once it comes out?

Unfortunately, I doubt it. I've only ever heard of getting the EN version alongside a Japanese version's purchase when there's a simultaneous release. I could be wrong though, as XSEED has seemingly been working on their localization alongside the development for some time.

edit: dang Teriyaki Blues already got it =P

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, they kind of did. If you want the entire lineage...

Back to Nature (PS1) is a "reimagining" of Harvest Moon 64 (N64), which was the first sequel to Harvest Moon (SNES).
They released a "for Girl" version of Back to Nature in Japan (PS1).
They rereleased both versions in a single package as Harvest Moon: Boy & Girl (PSP).
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town and Harvest Moon: More Friends of Mineral Town are remakes of Back to Nature (GBA).
Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town is a remake of FoMT & MFoMT in a single package (Switch).

What we have here is a remake of a remake of a reimagined game.

I would guess no, since there aren't many games that give you both English and Japanese text on Switch, especially not as an update concurrent with the English release. However, this game might do that because there's already an almost complete localization in the code of the Japanese version for some reason, and people with hacked Switches have been able to patch it in as the main text used by the game.

Bottom line, not impossible for them to do this, but it is extremely unlikely. The best people to ask would be Marvelous themselves, because the average internet user can't know this information no matter how closely they're following this game.

What do they call gay marriage in this localized text?

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No clue! I don't even know if it is the text that Natsume provided back in the day or if it is stuff that XSEED worked on.
Ah, guess we'll just have to wait until XSEED comes out and tell us!

Considering the game's director stated that it would probably be called marriage overseas, I'm willing to bet it's just "marriage." Also, I really doubt they're using even a shred of Natsume's original translation, since it doesn't seem like Natsume ever took the breakup well. Besides, I don't know what good they'd have for a translation that did things like COMPLETELY not translate some of Zack's dialog, or have Carter break into German =P

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Considering the game's director stated that it would probably be called marriage overseas, I'm willing to bet it's just "marriage." Also, I really doubt they're using even a shred of Natsume's original translation, since it doesn't seem like Natsume ever took the breakup well. Besides, I don't know what good they'd have for a translation that did things like COMPLETELY not translate some of Zack's dialog, or have Carter break into German =P
Or how flour the baking ingredient was translated as flower. Or how Angler Jake becomes Anger Jake in some episodes of the fishing show.

Considering how Natsume has released the PS2, GBC, SNES, and GBA games on PSN and the eShop over the years, I am sure they have no plans to give up the rights to those scripts.

Oct 28, 2017
The only reason I'm not 100% willing to dismiss the possibility of it being Natsume's text is that I don't think the English text that's in the Japanese version of the game was supposed to be accessible on the end user level. There have been instances where things that weren't supposed to be in the final release were still accessible to coders anyway. Hot Coffee most infamously.

In all probability it is Marvelous/XSEED work, they may have been doing some prerelease localization work again.

FWIW, I'm 100% on the Natsume is hot garbage train after their "original Harvest Moon games" and shady PR/merchandising BS over the last 6 years.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
You mean the art style harvest moon ha e been using since forever?

None of the Harvest Moon games I've played have that kind of in-game art. I'm not talking about the portraits which are fine (a few of them I would even say are upgrades even if a few others are worse) but the actual 3D chibi art. Even the 3DS Story of Seasons games had more detailed less.....weird looking models.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To clear up general confusion:

You can be gay in this game regardless of what character you pick. Some folks have said there's a different item you need, but that's not the case, as all relationships require a new flower item to begin dating, which will bring new events not in BtN and FoMT. Marriage is via blue feather at red heart level as always. You will still get kids, and they will be a gift from the Harvest Goddess. Marriage (and all events) for same-sex partners are identical to opposite-sex partners, so to label them differently would be a ridiculous choice on XSEED's part.

It's happenin'.
Harvest Goddess is finally a gay ally

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
None of the Harvest Moon games I've played have that kind of in-game art. I'm not talking about the portraits which are fine (a few of them I would even say are upgrades even if a few others are worse) but the actual 3D chibi art. Even the 3DS Story of Seasons games had more detailed less.....weird looking models.
BTN and 64 both had chibi character models though and this is meant to harken back to that era of HM.

It's a remake of this after all:
s43e896079465c39cf28dcd9dfe1c79f2.jpg

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Been reading the last bunch of pages in this thread....any summary on all the changes/additions? At first I didn't care much for this despite it being my 2nd or 3rd fave harvest moon, but the things I'm seeing have actually made me pretty interested. Love the new designs, the super fast loading looks nice, streamlined gameplay, etc...... would love to see a summary.

Nevermind just saw this: https://fogu.com/sos3/

Not sure if it captures all the stuff though.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had enough time with the game yet (still in my first Spring season in my copy of the game), but have been adding bits and pieces to the site from those who have had more play time. Adulting keeps me pretty busy with non-farming tasks.

Do items get destroyed if you throw them on the ground?

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had enough time with the game yet (still in my first Spring season in my copy of the game), but have been adding bits and pieces to the site from those who have had more play time. Adulting keeps me pretty busy with non-farming tasks.
awesome that's good to know, is it still possible to just befriend sprites early on and have them be farm slaves? That was always one of the saving graces in this game because after a while it just becomes too much work to care for animals and crops.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
My feelings towards this are mixed. I love 90% of the new stuff, but not the new character art.

Wish we had a "classic" models option. Karen looks even more different from her "older" redesign.

Nov 11, 2017
BTN and 64 both had chibi character models though and this is meant to harken back to that era of HM.

If it was meant to recall the style of the old games, I wish they would have gone all the way instead of the weird middle ground between the old and new styles they landed on. I mean yeah they're chibi characters, but that's about where the similarities end.
tumblr_pu4p2zwfur1u3x7x3o2_r1_250.png

tumblr_pu4p2zwfur1u3x7x3o1_r1_250.png

tumblr_pu4p2zwfur1u3x7x3o10_250.png

To each their own, but the old style is just so much more appealing to me, and this game's art reminds me of the newer SoS art way more than classic Harvest Moon.

Cherubae

Oct 31, 2017
Beaverton, Oregon, USA
awesome that's good to know, is it still possible to just befriend sprites early on and have them be farm slaves? That was always one of the saving graces in this game because after a while it just becomes too much work to care for animals and crops.

Yep, you just have to raise your friendship with each of them and then you can hire that sprite to work for you. They still can work on watering, harvesting, or animal care, and they still have the three mini-games for each sprite to increase its skill in that area.

Not sure if it is true, but someone posted that you can't put items on the ground at all. If that's the case I'm really excited for this change. I used to lose so many gifts from trying to butter up NPCs while they were strolling around.

It's true. Items can be tossed into the shipping bin or the trash cans, but won't leave the farmer's hands in other areas. I can't even toss an ore onto the crop field because it isn't meant to go there. The field can accept tossed branches, lumber, seeds, and stones, but nothing else I've found will land there. You also can't toss fish or trash back into the water.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018

It doesn't look even remotely the same....

I don't have an issue that it IS chibi but just how it looks in general I was just using that as a descriptor.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Gay marriage in Boku baby:
SPOILER_2019102012492400-F124AAA428C2398CFE11D5A539FF298F.jpg

SPOILER_2019102012491000-F124AAA428C2398CFE11D5A539FF298F.jpg

Such a monkey's paw situation. I'll probably still buy to support gay marriage finally being in the games, but man I wish the artstyle and graphics were better. I await the next actual Story of Seasons entry with its more mature artstyle.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I wish it didn't make me think of Magical Melody as much as it does. Because I'm glad this exists, but also now I really just wish it was a new port of MM

Yes, I hope that start doing like the Pokemon series and mix in remakes between new entries. I would love a Magical Melody remake, don't even have to do much either. Smooth out the character models and update textures.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
If it was meant to recall the style of the old games, I wish they would have gone all the way instead of the weird middle ground between the old and new styles they landed on. I mean yeah they're chibi characters, but that's about where the similarities end.
tumblr_pu4p2zwfur1u3x7x3o2_r1_250.png

tumblr_pu4p2zwfur1u3x7x3o1_r1_250.png

tumblr_pu4p2zwfur1u3x7x3o10_250.png

To each their own, but the old style is just so much more appealing to me, and this game's art reminds me of the newer SoS art way more than classic Harvest Moon.

Some of the redesigns I like but Ann is such a downgrade. It doesn't fit how I remember her personality at all.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the redesigns I like but Ann is such a downgrade. It doesn't fit how I remember her personality at all.

Ann's classic design was always the one that made the least sense in the 64 to BtN changeover to me. Her original design was for herself as a girl who worked on a ranch, but in Mineral Town she's a waitress.

Oct 28, 2017
It's true. Items can be tossed into the shipping bin or the trash cans, but won't leave the farmer's hands in other areas. I can't even toss an ore onto the crop field because it isn't meant to go there. The field can accept tossed branches, lumber, seeds, and stones, but nothing else I've found will land there. You also can't toss fish or trash back into the water.
Thanks for the confirmation!

I got to watch a bit of someone playing the live-streamed English hack, and it does seem like Marvelous/XSEED work. Game looks awesome. The only thing that bothered me was the fact that the stamina breakpoints that play an animation seem to be about 12 real life seconds long (although the in game clock does seem to be paused while they're running), which is kind of ridiculous considering how many times you're going to run into those in a day.

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that bothered me was the fact that the stamina breakpoints that play an animation seem to be about 12 real life seconds long (although the in game clock does seem to be paused while they're running), which is kind of ridiculous considering how many times you're going to run into those in a day.

That sounds obnoxious

Cherubae

Oct 31, 2017
Beaverton, Oregon, USA
The only thing that bothered me was the fact that the stamina breakpoints that play an animation seem to be about 12 real life seconds long (although the in game clock does seem to be paused while they're running), which is kind of ridiculous considering how many times you're going to run into those in a day.

Yes, the tired animations are longer than they need to be. If you happen to eat some food to restore fatigue/stamina, and then expend it, you have to watch the long animation again.

When eating food directly from the rucksack menu the game will state exactly how much stamina/fatigue you'll restore. You can also eat multiple items at once. If you eat a over-the-head held item from your bag, you've to eat it one at a time and have to go through the eating animation (which also is longer than what it was in the GBA game). Basically, eat from the rucksack menu whenever possible.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Seems English is already basically done, it's just not selectable unless you have a homebrew Switch. It's mostly fine, some text boxes need fixing, but it looks like most of the work is already done. So I really hope it means the game isn't too far off for us in the west.

2019101712012700-f124aaa428c2398cfe11d5a539ff298f-jpg.182984

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I didn't get to comment when I saw it earlier but I did actually straight up tear up seeing that gay marriage will be an option in some way. Feels really nice to be represented in a video game series I've loved since I was about 8 years old ;.;

Seems English is already basically done, it's just not selectable unless you have a homebrew Switch. It's mostly fine, some text boxes need fixing, but it looks like most of the work is already done. So I really hope it means the game isn't too far off for us in the west.

2019101712012700-f124aaa428c2398cfe11d5a539ff298f-jpg.182984

I had no clue there were going to be skin tones + secondary models--I am ridiculously excited for this game.

Also, while you'd think that would mean XSEED would be fast to localize, I wouldn't rely on that too heavily. RF4S came out in Japan this summer and from what I've heard there's hardly any new content, meaning XSEED literally has like 99% of the game already localized and they've still yet to give a release date. They also have a bunch of other games right now to promote, and I feel like they'll want a window between RF4S and this...

Which bums me out because if there games could out post animal crossing I feel like their launch numbers won't be nearly as good as otherwise.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It wont be about how fast they localize, more about when they feel it is the best time to launch it.

They won't want it to come out too close to Animal Crossing becasue AC and HM have an almost identical fanbase.