• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the biggest thing I hope comes from this is that it gets in a Direct and they explain to the huge audience Directs get that this is a remake of the old game and finally lets people sort out the Natsume problem so there's so much less confusion.

Necro Felipe

Editor-in-chief at Universo Nintendo
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Brasil
Ugh, I fucking hate this chibi style Nintendo is pushing. Great game and I'll probably buy it since there isn't much other options for HM fix... But I'll keep on hating the art style.

Wow WHAT?! An Marvelous-develpoed title... what for the Gods sake does Nintendo have to do with it??

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, not loving the look here. The aesthetic is a big reason I have so much nostalgia for the GCN/GBA era of Harvest Moon.

But man what a classic. I'll be very tempted to pick it up if ends up coming west.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
How is Nintendo pushing a style to third party devs?
Always thought HM was Nintendo franchise, probably because I have only played them on Nintendo platform. Also, maybe it's not Nintendo pushing the art style, but seems like it's really popular on Nintendo platforms, from DS to Switch.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Graphically I think it's a real mixed bag - the crops screenshot in particular looks ugly, but the hot spring and interior screenshots look ok. I'm not really sure why they feel the need to go with basic 3D though - a sprite-based style would probably look more attractive than this.

I played the original version of this game (Harvest Moon: Back to Nature) way back on PS1 and loved it, so I'll keep an eye on it, I guess.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Gtfo of here Link's Awakening, the Switch Remaster to rule them all has arrived, lol

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
Ugh, I fucking hate this chibi style Nintendo is pushing. Great game and I'll probably buy it since there isn't much other options for HM fix... But I'll keep on hating the art style.
Not gonna keep banging on about how Nintendo doesn't have anything to do with this.

But this is actually a pretty faithful rendition of the original art style -- even the concept and character art was drawn like this. It's not any kind of liberty or departure at all.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But this is actually a pretty faithful rendition of the original art style -- even the concept and character art was drawn like this. It's not any kind of liberty or departure at all.
Yup, it looks like how'd you'd expect a modern 3D recreation of the classic Harvest Moon art style would look like. Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of how it looks, but that's mostly because I prefer the modern art style of Story of Seasons games over the classic style.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Not gonna keep banging on about how Nintendo doesn't have anything to do with this.

Yeah, seems like it. Bad timing I guess. I have been playing lot of DS/Switch lately and this whole art style really is starting to bore me.

edit. But I don't remember GBA version having chibi characters, beyond the box art. Or maybe it did.

Last edited:

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Peak Harvest Moon. I'm not as hyped for a remake cause I think the original is still perfectly playable, so I hope they will add enough new content and QoL changes for it to be interesting.

Oh, and gay marriage ffs.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
When you wait 2 years for a new SoS - than get a remake of a DS game that looks worse than the Rune Factory 4 Switch port.
No idea what they are smoking over there.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not really a fan od the visuals but holy shit, Mineral Town is the GOAT. I played so much of the original aaaah.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
When you wait 2 years for a new SoS - than get a remake of a DS game that looks worse than the Rune Factory 4 Switch port.
No idea what they are smoking over there.

Yeah I dunno how we're living in a world where Rune Factory 5 was announced before the next real SoS game lolol

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
looking at the famitsu preview, seems the 2 designs beside the mc are the alt mc design? text is too small to properly read. as for the 2 silhouettes, maybe new bachelor/ette for the remake?

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
WOAH THIS IS BEYOND MEGATON. FMOT is THE best Harvest Moon game. Although I find the art style cute I kind of wish they went with something closer to this concept art rather than the chibi style.
art-001.jpg

Last edited:

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I concur wholeheartedly. The best Harvest Moon game of all time returns.

But man, what are they going to call it in the West? Natsume owns that name, reading the title I thought it was Natsume cashing in with another of their awful cashgrab entries.
Story of Seasons: Stone City Friends

If they localize this, they will most likely retain the Friends of Mineral Town subtitle or a variation of it. Something like "Story of Seasons: Return to Mineral Town". Natsume can't do shit as they only own the Harvest Moon name.

I took a quick look and the village was called Mineral Town even in the original Japanese. I checked and all the villagers have the same name in English and Japanese too. I doubt Natsume have any legal footing for any potential if the localization was just a cleaner rewrite of the GBA game.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Love the game so i'll definitely get it but I'm really not a fan of the look of it.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
WOAH THIS IS BEYOND MEGATON. FMOT is THE best Harvest Moon game. Although I find the art style cute I kind of wish they went with something closer to the concept art of the original
art-001.jpg

That's Harvest Moon 64 artwork rather than Back to Nature =P

but yeah, I do wish they got Igusa Matsuyama back on this... unless that IS Igusa and they've just changed their style a bit.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Best Harvest Moon game, I assume this one has girl as an option rather than needing to buy another cart for that.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I was just thinking of this game, favourite GBA game as a child.

Edit: This also hopefully means that real mining also is back <3

spidye

Oct 28, 2017
Eh. Wake me up when they're bringing back Harvest Moon A Wonderful Life.
it's been a while when I played A Wond. Life, but if my memory serves me right it was one of the weaker entries during the harvest moon peak in terms of content. pretty easy game with not much content after the first few chapters. still liked the game as this was the first 3d harvest moon but FOM and the harvest moon before were much better

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
That's Harvest Moon 64 artwork rather than Back to Nature =P

but yeah, I do wish they got Igusa Matsuyama back on this... unless that IS Igusa and they've just changed their style a bit.

Technicalities lol, I just googled Friends of Mineral Town concept art and that came up xP. I'll edit my post.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Looks pretty ugly, but BTN/FoMT is the second/third best Harvest Moon after Magical Melody, so I'm cautiously excited.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I remember the original so these are cool news but the visuals are not exactly the best. Hope this is not an indication to how Rune Factory 5 will look.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably just nostalgia, but I still think Back to Nature is the most appealing visually.
vpE6hQS7_o.gif

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember the original so these are cool news but the visuals are not exactly the best. Hope this is not an indication to how Rune Factory 5 will look.
RF4's style will likely be similar to RF4's style, which is closer to the style of modern BM/HM/SoS games. This is a remake, so it uses the old style.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
RF4's style will likely be similar to RF4's style, which is closer to the style of modern BM/HM/SoS games. This is a remake, so it uses the old style.
I'm talking more about production values. Sure, I'm not expecting much from this series in general considering its niche status but I would prefer a visual style similar to Rune Factory Frontier.

Wanace

Oct 29, 2017
This looks absolutely awful. Coming from someone who played 100 hours of FoMT. That artstyle is atrocious and 3d Harvest Moons have always had horrific controls.

If they aren't going to surpass Stardew Valley in mechanics, content, or visuals, they shouldn't even bother at this point.