• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Helot_Azure

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I swore off of soda years ago. At most I have a red bull a few times a year.

My wife loves soda though, so she isn't going to like this article....

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
People who crave sweets should find a fruit they really like - that's how I stopped buying muffins and shit. Between grapes and strawberries I get my fill of sweet. Occasionally I grab 3-4 of the free cookies from Harris Teeter on a weekend.

I hear you, I used to drink craft beer everyday after work and it was hard to stop doing that. I now limit myself to one drink during the workweek and 2 over the weekend. I spend less money and I enjoy it more because it's a treat, not a daily habit.

Did you have a few, or just one? I can see how that'd really add up either way. I used to have a beer a night just to 'unclench' (nothing too fancy or strong) almost every day because I have two young children (so I'm 'on call' 24-7) and work part-time, but then I saw a study on the news about how abstaining for even just two days makes a huge difference health-wise, so this year I cut back a bit. I still get my 'treat', just a little less. It's not that I felt badly about it, but never hurts to try and be a bit healthier when you're older. I can't say we're saving any money, though. We just get more expensive wine now!

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Did you have a few, or just one? I can see how that'd really add up either way. I used to have a beer a night just to 'unclench' (nothing too fancy or strong) almost every day because I have two young children (so I'm 'on call' 24-7) and work part-time, but then I saw a study on the news about how abstaining for even just two days makes a huge difference health-wise, so this year I cut back a bit. I still get my 'treat', just a little less. It's not that I felt badly about it, but never hurts to try and be a bit healthier when you're older. I can't say we're saving any money, though. We just get more expensive wine now!

It was just one a day. I didn't feel shame either, I just knew it was a good idea to cut back and after a while I finally worked up the resolve to do it.

And I'm right there with you on the kids/work thing, when you're on call 24/7 you need something to help you take a breather. I exercise more now between the end of the workday and picking my kids up. I also don't save much money because I buy higher quality drinks, lol.

All that said just about everyone needs something to take them away from the daily grind and its stresses, but things like alcohol and sugar aren't it. Exercise, reading, and gasp gaming (we still do that here right?) are all better options.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
So I don't buy cans of soda. I usually just buy a liter of coke that lasts me for 2 weeks. If I eat out I get soda but limit it to 2. I usually do 3/4 ice. I drink 3 bottles of water a day. Am I fucked?

Damien1928

Oct 27, 2017
I don't smoke, drink alcohol or take drugs, but I've accepted that my eventual demise will be due to sugary drinks.

I don't want a world without Lucozade.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Actually I am on a diet but many have mentioned Sugar has leaked in everything. Zero Sugar Soda is likely the best bet at this point. It doesn't help lemonade, punch and other things have leaked though.

Take the plunge into a water drinking lifestyle. Once you do it for a while, you'll wonder why you even needed to drink juice.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I've read that drinking a lot over the of course of 1-2 days (in this case binge drinking) is just as bad as frequently drinking over the week.

Is this true?

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thank god we have Harvard researchers to tell us that drinking large amounts of high fructose corn syrup is bad for you.

What would we do without them????