• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I like the tightrope that conservatives have to play between making it a life ruining tragedy that this shithead didn't get into Harvard while also treating colleges as a blight on the country.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
I love these threads with people outing themselves as shitheads and basically trying to excuse their own behavior through proxy of the OP. You will inevitably find them in other threads defending comics using bigotry as "jokes" and calling people too sensitive and something something free speech.

Listening to these people how EVERYONE was shitheads in school I find it amazing me and my circle of friends made through school not getting into trouble and not having a stream of bigoted, racist shit coming out of our mouths. Somehow, by some divine miracle, we knew those words were awful and hurtful and we actually didn't want to hurt people. And the funny thing is it didn't take Herculean strength or year's training. In fact it was pretty fucking easy.

You aren't wrong and his punishment does fit the crime, when I was talking about it (growth, people changing, 16 etc) I just was coming from the perspective of being hopeful that people can change and that people like him still have time to change. It could very easily just be ignorant wishful thinking on my part. When I analyze the circle hes in (I did some reading since I first posted), they are all playing the victim card for him so how is he going to learn from being a hateful racist teenager when everyone around him tells him HES the victim.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People mostly rarely change, they are who they are in their teens - just hide it better. If I caught my son posting those comments I'd be disappointed in myself.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here is a link to this kid's appearance today on Fox News. Good luck getting the video to work -- I couldn't get it to work on mobile Safari or Firefox. It finally loaded in Edge.

I don't think they were really that harsh with him, and let him get away with just blaming his comments on the particular peer group he was in at the time. He also says he has been targeted by the alt-right for his opposition to racism, and that he has condemned racism at every public opportunity.

The Fox News host also vaguely implies that the Admissions board should have let him in just because the Harvard Diversity Office said "We accept your apology". Which is bullshit, because the e-mail from the diversity office was just an absolute brush off. "Thanks for your letter, we appreciate your thoughts and reflections."

When they ask him why he thinks the Admissions board still turned him down when the Diversity Office "forgave" him, he pulls a Trump-classic weasel movie. "Some people are saying political bias..." Ahhhh, good ol' Some People...they say a lot of things, don't they?

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
You aren't wrong and his punishment does fit the crime, when I was talking about it (growth, people changing, 16 etc) I just was coming from the perspective of being hopeful that people can change and that people like him still have time to change. It could very easily just be ignorant wishful thinking on my part. When I analyze the circle hes in (I did some reading since I first posted), they are all playing the victim card for him so how is he going to learn from being a hateful racist teenager when everyone around him tells him HES the victim.
I mean a good chunk of the American population are convinced Trump is the real victim in America right now. You're not wrong. It's not just about vicious circles, it's about a large section of the population preferring lies over reality.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Fox doing the tiniest pushback.

D9TPiRcXUAAgHeo.jpg

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I love these threads with people outing themselves as shitheads and basically trying to excuse their own behavior through proxy of the OP. You will inevitably find them in other threads defending comics using bigotry as "jokes" and calling people too sensitive and something something free speech.

Listening to these people and how they know for sure EVERYONE was shitheads in school I find it amazing me and my circle of friends made it through school not getting into trouble and not having a stream of bigoted, racist shit coming out of our mouths. Somehow, by some divine miracle, we knew those words were awful and hurtful and we actually didn't want to hurt people. And the funny thing is it didn't take Herculean strength or year's of training. In fact it was pretty fucking easy. Go figure.

I agree with you. My issue with how some people are reacting is that they aren't giving him a chance to redeem himself. When I was in high school I didn't say bigoted things and I sure as hell didn't type anything like...whatever the hell that was, but I definitely said edgy shit to get a laugh or a rise out of people. I cringe at things I said at seventeen. This kid will grow up and change and learn from his mistakes. Freedom of speech doesn't mean that Harvard can't rescind their acceptance. I don't know if I agree with their call, but it's a punishment for his action, and I believe that will help him learn from his mistakes.

I know nothing about this kid. Before opening this thread I didn't know he was pro-gun or whatever, but regardless of that, let him grow, let him change, let him be a better person. If he repeats behavior like this, then we can have a conversation, but I'm always in favor of giving teens the benefit of the doubt so long as they aren't doing anything truly reprehensible.

Edit: I've had my mind changed. I was wrong. I apologize for coming across as if I was defending racism or anything similar to that. I should have done more research into the kid. I didn't realize he was in the Shapiro crowd. I need to take my own advice and work to be better.

Last edited:

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand it's difficult to accept institutions holding one's comments as a child accountable in their application.

On the other hand he said some pretty reprehensible things that weren't too far in the past and should be held accountable. On this same hand he's a deplorable person who has used the traumatic event as a stepping stone for a career in conservative commentary.

No one is entitled to Ivy League education. They're well within their rights to turn him away. And he is a particular instance of a figure they do right to turn away.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, man. I said and did really stupid shit between the ages of like 10 and 25. You're young and stupid, you think the whole world doesn't get you, you're misunderstood and mad. I said hurtful probably racist things because I wanted attention, to be edgy, to see what it felt like.

Part of growing up was learning better, looking back and working to be better, understanding the mistake. Sixteen is still a child, an idiot with a voice and a cellphone. I refuse to believe that everyone in this thread has an immaculate past that's utterly free of a really awful incident like Kyle's.

TWENTY FIVE?!

I'd moved (been kicked out really) out of my house at sixteen and had to get a job and finish high school and eventually put my own ass in college.

Twenty FIVE!?

Also even if I accepted racism and actual naziism were understandable for an immature 16 year old then I'm afraid I still have to point out that your immaturity, racism, hatred, anti-semitism and utter lack of awareness are what cost you a shot at Harvard. I mean, there's no way to slice this that gives that kid any special forgiveness that gets him a hugely privileged college placement and frankly I hope his parents are realizing that supporting their racist kid's brief stint as an unpaid NRA cheerleader and opponent of common sense safety in the wake of the deaths of those children, is on them too.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you. My issue with how some people are reacting is that they aren't giving him a chance to redeem himself. When I was in high school I didn't say bigoted things and I sure as hell didn't type anything like...whatever the hell that was, but I definitely said edgy shit to get a laugh or a rise out of people. I cringe at things I said at seventeen. This kid will grow up and change and learn from his mistakes. Freedom of speech doesn't mean that Harvard can't rescind their acceptance. I don't know if I agree with their call, but it's a punishment for his action, and I believe that will help him learn from his mistakes.

I know nothing about this kid. Before opening this thread I didn't know he was pro-gun or whatever, but regardless of that, let him grow, let him change, let him be a better person. If he repeats behavior like this, then we can have a conversation, but I'm always in favor of giving teens the benefit of the doubt so long as they aren't doing anything truly reprehensible.
No.

He had his chance, but he close to be a right wing grifter. He doesn't have the capacity to be a better person.

Jun 10, 2018

Regurgitating hateful rhetoric that calls for violence against select groups of people is pretty fucking reprehensible. Really not understanding why this is so damn hard to comprehend.

There are victims to his words who frankly deserve far more sympathy than what this "kid" has garnered.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck that kid. Can't get into Harvard now. Boo fucking hoo. I'm going to take a guess he still won't have to live paycheck to paycheck like so many people who have never repeatedly said the n word and other racial slurs, and are way more deserving.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I agree with you. My issue with how some people are reacting is that they aren't giving him a chance to redeem himself.
I mean, he's actively doubling down on it with the "poor me" victimhood shit. He's learned nothing, he hasn't showed any real forward momentum or reflection. He hasn't done anything as even as penance but mostly to learn and grow.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to feel bad about the kid when I didn't get into Harvard myself and also am not a racist.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I think I said it about once or twice when I was 9 or 10 when some new kids move to the block, said it, I repeated it to my old man who basically said he'd knock my head off if I said it again and that was that.

Typically the only kids saying it in high school didn't change for the better. He dug his own grave with this one

Nov 2, 2017

This is bullshit. If the kid wants a second chance, he can get one, but the path to it isn't handed to him, it's earning it. If there was any hint of contrition, remorse, any of it, I could see an argument even if I have a different position personally. Nothing in his response has even remotely shown any of that.

Also, we might need to have a discussion if open promotion for the gun manufacturers' lobby in the wake of their products massacring your classmates doesn't qualify as "truly reprehensible" for you.

Deleted member 25712

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TWENTY FIVE?!

I'd moved (been kicked out really) out of my house at sixteen and had to get a job and finish high school and eventually put my own ass in college.

Twenty FIVE!?

Also even if I accepted racism and actual naziism were understandable for an immature 16 year old then I'm afraid I still have to point out that your immaturity, racism, hatred, anti-semitism and utter lack of awareness are what cost you a shot at Harvard. I mean, there's no way to slice this that gives that kid any special forgiveness that gets him a hugely privileged college placement and frankly I hope his parents are realizing that supporting their racist kid's brief stint as an unpaid NRA cheerleader and opponent of common sense safety in the wake of the deaths of those children, is on them too.

Yeah like...maaaaaannn I get the idea the teenagers do and say stupid shit, and parrot what they're told, etc. I grew up in Mormon household FFS. But there comes a point where it's apparent whether or not someone is of the kind of character that sees the bullshit of that upbringing, or when they're gonna double down on it. I broke free at about 20 years old. This dude seems like he's all in on being a fuckface. Goodbye.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is the teachable moment. It just happened. Maybe he'll get better. But he hasn't shown that he's learned anything.

But, for real though? Fuck racists. Forever. I don't give a fuck what happens to racists. 18 or 80. I hope nothing but bad things happen to them.

But, yeah, good on you for giving racists the benefit of the doubt. They've definitely done nothing to earn or deserve it.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I'm ok with every college out there deciding whether or not someone can attend based on their social media posts or online post history. How hard is it not to be a racist, xenophobic asshole? If you're a conservative, probably impossible, but a university is not obligated to accept you.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's another good point. If Harvard gives him a spot and says, ok we forgive you, wtf has this kid learned about consequences? "Getting mass shootered and being a virulent racist and actual Nazi holocaust supporter and then fighting common sense gun safety on Fox ends in a Harvard education!"

These are not my lulz I'm afraid.

Further, if a couple of dim witted teenagers panic when they see this story and stop tweeting hateful racist trash - then he'll have done more good in his failures than he ever did with his success.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
"You're not allowed to go to an ivy league university if you're white and say the n-word" is fine rule. There are a lot of amazing students out there that haven't said the n-word, those are the types of kids who should get to go to a school like Harvard.

This clown can just go to worse school and hopefully he'll have learned his lesson.

Also fuck this kid for his "this was before the shooting" bullshit. Most people don't need to experience a mass shooting to not be a racist piece of shit. School shootings are awful but to use that event as some kind of get out of jail free card is disrespectful beyond belief to his fellow survivors.

Last edited:

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's another good point. If Harvard gives him a spot and says, ok we forgive you, wtf has this kid learned about consequences? "Getting mass shootered and being a virulent racist and actual Nazi holocaust supporter and then fighting common sense gun safety on Fox ends in a Harvard education!"

These are not my lulz I'm afraid.

Further, if a couple of dim witted teenagers panic when they see this story and stop tweeting hateful racist trash - then he'll have done more good in his failures than he ever did with his success.

Yeah...I'm really wondering what the people defending this expect him to learn when the punishment has just been doled out. That's how we know he'll learn (but most likely just learn how to hide his racism better) how he responds to this setback.

The interview isn't a good look.

Fuck him.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know, man. I said and did really stupid shit between the ages of like 10 and 25. You're young and stupid, you think the whole world doesn't get you, you're misunderstood and mad. I said hurtful probably racist things because I wanted attention, to be edgy, to see what it felt like.

Part of growing up was learning better, looking back and working to be better, understanding the mistake. Sixteen is still a child, an idiot with a voice and a cellphone. I refuse to believe that everyone in this thread has an immaculate past that's utterly free of a really awful incident like Kyle's.
Yeah, maybe you shouldn't have been accepted into Harvard either.

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Harvard was perfectly willing to accept a member of Turning Point USA, an outspoken voice against gun control, and the only reason they rejected him was that his bigoted bullhorning got a bit too loud. The institution is rotten.
Out spoken voice against gun control isn't and shouldn't be a disqualifying criteria for any university

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
It really bears repeating that Kyle joined Turning Point USA, an organization whose members and leadership have a persistent habit of being openly racist, associating with white supremacists, and defending Hitler. You'd be a fool to think he's sincerely penitent for his past behavior.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is totally normal for Harvard. They have shitloads of students with high SAT sores hoping to be accepted. Why give this racist shitbag the benefit of doubt?

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I was behind the kid until I saw the rest of the history. Phew. Glad I didn't grow up during social media. All I had was AIM chat rooms. Y'all remember that?! I miss those days.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Who among us weren't pieces of shit racists at 16 that repeatedly used the N-word?" Uhhh, decent people who aren't/weren't racists?

There's a difference between doing stupid things as a teenager and being an abhorrent racist piece of shit who uses the n-word 11 times in a row. The gulf between "I made poor choices and had to repeat a couple of classes because I didn't do homework because I instead spent all my time playing Starsiege Tribes" and being so shitty of a human being to repeatedly use the n-word (in group conversations no less) is an ocean-sized gulf.

Buddy1103

Jan 8, 2019
Ironically, one of the ways to repair their reputation is to stop admitting people who said vile, racist, anti-semitic shit two years ago.
i don't really buy into the people change thing, and in this dudes case if he really changed he wouldn't have gone from racist to republican. he went from little racist kid to young adult who joined a party that racists flock to, imo not a coincidence.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Not my place to forgive, but I'll happily condemn. Harvard isn't a right, nor is the forgiveness of a marginalised group you've mocked and cared zero for right up until it's affected you personally.

Actions have consequences, and at that age those consequences are not getting into a prestigious school and hitting the tarmac a little harder out the gate, like almost every single other person out there. Except that's not even true, because while he's whining about not getting into Harvard, he's still set for a life of privilege above those he's spent time degrading just a year ago.

There's no inward reflection, just resorting to claiming how racist Harvard is as an institution so what's the issue with being a little racist 'in the past'? Kick him to the curb, there's zero reason this should be an international conversation.

Last edited:

Deleted member 41502

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Ahh. Good old republicans. The last bastion of "actions have consequences... except mine".

He can still grow and change. He just won't do it at Harvard. The same as literally billions of the rest of us.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is this getting so much publicity? Hundreds are denied daily from Harvard, because they didnt partake in a huge amount extra curriculum activities or failed a single test in their final year.

These conservative nuts don't actually think Harvard shouldn't be able to make a decision based on a kids high school record. They just don't think saying the N word is bad