• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Duracell017

Nov 4, 2017
friend code if anyone wants to add me

0078 6616 9684

i will add those who posted their codes in the prev pages - renderman017

edit: sent request to everyone

Last edited:

Duracell017

Nov 4, 2017
looks like you cannot run this app in the background like pogo? wanted to be able to walk without having this up as main screen.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
looks like you cannot run this app in the background like pogo? wanted to be able to walk without having this up as main screen.

It is hyper sensitive to moving too fast and yeah if I suspend it and open it back up it sometimes gets network error.

Nearly level 14. My wizard must be fat as fuck because he eats cake and chocolates every 10 meters.

Also the honeymoon low level phase is over. Out of calamity booster potions and runes. Only new ones to catch highlighted on map basically have a 5% catch rate without a buff option, and they only show up with 3x lure on inns. So this is the pay wall. Not sure yet if I'll continue. I mean how many times do I need to rescue a random character and it be meaningful. Maybe there's super easy dailies to get potions and I'll play it 10 minutes a day or something until I have a stash.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Game is now available. Tried it for a bit at home. Finding foundables (LOL) isn't as exciting as finding Pokemon. They really should have done something different. Dragon Quest Walk is a much more interesting take on the Go game. Sadly, that's probably not leaving Japan.

Will try to play outside to see if it becomes fun for me.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad, I feel like this is absolutely bombing. I have friends who are both Pokemon Go fans and Harry Potter fans and they have absolutely no interest in this. Pokemon Go was truly special due to the concept of the IP. The whole point of Pokemon is to catch them, so it naturally extends to the mobile game. Not too familiar with Harry Potter but "catching" Confoundables isn't the main conceit or appeal of the whole series so that's why this isn't spreading like wildfire.

shoyz

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
With low expectations I gave it a try as a passenger on a car ride, which is the only way I can enjoyably play Pokemon Go because they haven't added any PokeStops to our area for 3 years. Not that that's all too much, with PokeStops refusing to spin most of the time, and Pokemon loving to run while driving.
Somehow they've made that experience worse. Collecting energy is locked behind a short minigame where you trace a line, it shuffles some trays, and then you choose one, which might be fun but it's worse than the already insufferably long animation that usually makes me miss my chance to spin a PokeStop, and makes it nearly impossible to spin before driving out of range. Like Pokemon, confoundables also seem to run, which can feel even more awful than usual if you get a particularly good score on your trace.

The confoundable gameplay looked awkward from the reveal, and it stayed that way. The character models are uncanny valley, the looped animations between trace attempts are really awkward, the win animations are really awkward, the weird 5 second stall animation that plagues every successful confoundable feels bad enough on the first try of each but I can't even imagine how obnoxious it'll get after doing the same confoundable multiple times.

Surprised they didn't leave the spells a little bit more open-ended. The gameplay would have had a much higher skill ceiling if you had to memorize the spells to play optimally (with a freebie to trace if you opt to), and the strange confoundable set pieces would have been far more interesting with the freedom of choice to see how each spell might affect the situation.

Wish we could get one of the more enticing AR geo games out of Japan.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
I played this for a couple of days before uninstalling. The stamp collection mechanic just isn't fun, compared to catching in Pokémon Go. Plus, energy is extremely limiting unless you've got loads of inns around you.

Coincidentally, I discovered Pokemon Rumble Rush afterwards, and I've been having way more fun with it for the past few days. I am starting to reach soft limitations which slow down progression, however I still feel compelled to play for now.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
With low expectations I gave it a try as a passenger on a car ride, which is the only way I can enjoyably play Pokemon Go because they haven't added any PokeStops to our area for 3 years. Not that that's all too much, with PokeStops refusing to spin most of the time, and Pokemon loving to run while driving.
Somehow they've made that experience worse. Collecting energy is locked behind a short minigame where you trace a line, it shuffles some trays, and then you choose one, which might be fun but it's worse than the already insufferably long animation that usually makes me miss my chance to spin a PokeStop, and makes it nearly impossible to spin before driving out of range. Like Pokemon, confoundables also seem to run, which can feel even more awful than usual if you get a particularly good score on your trace.

The confoundable gameplay looked awkward from the reveal, and it stayed that way. The character models are uncanny valley, the looped animations between trace attempts are really awkward, the win animations are really awkward, the weird 5 second stall animation that plagues every successful confoundable feels bad enough on the first try of each but I can't even imagine how obnoxious it'll get after doing the same confoundable multiple times.

Surprised they didn't leave the spells a little bit more open-ended. The gameplay would have had a much higher skill ceiling if you had to memorize the spells to play optimally (with a freebie to trace if you opt to), and the strange confoundable set pieces would have been far more interesting with the freedom of choice to see how each spell might affect the situation.

Wish we could get one of the more enticing AR geo games out of Japan.

For Inns, you can exit the inn as soon as you trace the line and still get the energy. That way you don't end up too far away while the animation is still going.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
I've got lots of ins around me.

This seems to be required to enjoy the game. I've got what I would qualify as "enough". I can leave the house and hit 3 on the way to the store and 3 back. I've found that aside from one time where I got two energy from an inn, I usually get between 6-14. Where I used to hover around 10-15 energy, I'm now between 40-60.

With that said, I'm also more selective in what I choose to engage. I look for things I don't have and things that will advance my current S.O.S

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
Just getting started, but seems fun so far. Please add me! 7619 4559 6373.

I'll be sending invites to those who have posted codes. NaturalAdhesive is my wizard name.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I feel bad, I feel like this is absolutely bombing. I have friends who are both Pokemon Go fans and Harry Potter fans and they have absolutely no interest in this. Pokemon Go was truly special due to the concept of the IP. The whole point of Pokemon is to catch them, so it naturally extends to the mobile game. Not too familiar with Harry Potter but "catching" Confoundables isn't the main conceit or appeal of the whole series so that's why this isn't spreading like wildfire.

Yeah it is. I was out today in an area that had 300 people crowding the streets on round rock on pokemon go release and I saw 5 players so perhaps 10. It is bombing.

They've also half way rolled back the inns to be 40% tea 40% cake and 1 chocolate. On release it was 80% tea and yesterday it was 80% chocolate which admittedly is too much.

Once you run out of runes and hit level 14 all you do is repeat everything with calamities and once you complete a frame you upgrade its prestige and repeat. The high level things only show up with 2 or 3 eyes on an inn and are a bitch to catch without potions and even then it's like 30% catch rate and 30% flee rate. And runes are sparingly. It gets boring.

I mean they could certainly make a large profit off of this, especially considering the server data is probably shared with Ingress and Pokemon Go, but if they can't get even 1/3 of the initial turnout, things like community day aren't possibly for HP.

Last edited:

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
There's certainly a bit of been there done that which is why it's not nearly as popular. Harry Potter itself as a franchise I think isn't near the same level of popularity as pokemon.

That said, I do enjoy the "gaming" aspect of this a bit more than Pokemon. The fortresses at least feel like there's a bit more strategy than PoGo's everyone pick the right pokemon type (that is largely based on your RNG luck to that point) against a raid.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I'd like to if they did a major rev of pokemon go that ported over some of the gameplay mechanics. If nothing else the rendering engine seems to be more efficient.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame because I had more fun running Wizard Challenges yesterday than I ever had playing Pokemon Go.

Got to play this a bit more yesterday and I agree that the fortress challenges was the fun part of the game. But it gets repetitive real fast. They should have gone the RPG route like Dragon Quest Walk with the focus on combat in the overworld and item collecting on the side.

Damn, I really want Dragon Quest Walk. It's what I wanted Pokemon and SMT mobile to be.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
We gave it a good try this weekend and came out feeling like it's unlikely we'll bother playing it again.

The whole sticker book collection mechanic with generic spinning icons everywhere just feels uninspiring. It's forcing the PoGo template onto an alternative property where it doesn't make sense. The class selection with individual skill trees is about the only thing we enjoyed. Energy mechanic is pretty bad too with my partner getting numerous 2 drops meaning she simply couldn't play properly despite hitting numerous inns - just bad design. Evidently much more focus on MTXs (especially with the glaring shop timer button constantly present) than PoGo which is surprisingly generous.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I downloaded it yesterday on my S9+ from the Play Store but it won't work, it tries to connect then long black screen and connection error, looping until I close the app.
I have no problem at all with Pokémon Go and thought it was some high server load issue, but I tried at different times in the day and night and it never work.

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
Ben trying it for two days now and... I don't get it. It's too confusing to immediately like it and now I think I understand it it's completely boring to me. Make this shit about learning new spells, discovering new creatures, fighting evil and actually explore the Wizarding World instead of collecting stickers... for what purpose exactly?

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
As a semi-"hardcore" Pokémon Go player I was curious about the game so I tried it out over the weekend. I was surprised how barebones PoGo looks (UI and gameplay wise) compared to WU. Around my house I have 3 Pokéstops (which are obviously Stops in WU as well) and 3 spawn points for Pokémon. In WU there are waaaaay more spawn points than in PoGo for me. I can't turn around without spawning at least 3 new symbols on the map.
My only issue so far is that the magic meter is taking forever to replenish and even though there is theoretically more spawn points I can't do anything when I have no magic left.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
What are the F2P ways to earn coins in this game? Just through doing the daily quests? I'm already running up against the storage limits and I can see that the cost to upgrade my Vaults is going to be pretty high since it's like 150 gold to gain, like, 5 more storage slots. And all I have is 165 gold right now, lol

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got to play a decent chunk of the early game on my commute this morning. So far, it's weirdly compelling but also very weird in general. I don't know anything about Harry Potter so pretty much all the language is gibberish to me; I have no idea what I'm doing in the world or why things are the way they are. What's the point of the sticker book? Who's Moaning Marsha? Why do people keep popping up dialogue boxes at random times that I then dismiss by mistake?

The actual gameplay seems more elaborate. The spell-casting stuff is a lot more elaborate than Pokemon Go, which kind of makes sense given that there is no Harry Potter equivalent of a Go Plus and so the core "catch random things in the world" gameplay has to be more interesting or you'll lose people quickly. I don't know WHY I'm collecting stuff, though, or what happens if you start collecting things you've already placed an image for in the sticker book. Is that literally a waste of energy? I have no idea.

Haven't had a chance to do the HP equivalent of gyms yet (are they dungeons? I think?). Also haven't hatched an egg (portmanteaus? seriously I have no idea why anything in this game is called the thing it is except for "foundables").

Oh, also: here I thought Pokemon Go was in love with its animations and screen transitions. Holy shit, Wizards Unite is TOTALLY in love with its animations and screen transitions. Just getting in and out of a foundable encounter takes forever.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
The game suddenly clicked with me yesterday and I spent about 2 hours just walking around the downtown area where I live. I still don't quite get wizarding challenges, and I know I'll only ever play solo, but it's definitely got more depth to it than Pokémon Go so far. It's just inherently less interesting doing confoundables than it is catching Pokémon.

Also, one of the main issues with these AR games is the time it takes for animations to complete. You're supposed to be playing these games while walking, right? Not stopping every 30 seconds to wait for an animation to complete so you don't walk too far away from your target.

Ben trying it for two days now and... I don't get it. It's too confusing to immediately like it and now I think I understand it it's completely boring to me. Make this shit about learning new spells, discovering new creatures, fighting evil and actually explore the Wizarding World instead of collecting stickers... for what purpose exactly?

Basically just to see numbers go up lol, it's that lizard brain gratification.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Also, one of the main issues with these AR games is the time it takes for animations to complete. You're supposed to be playing these games while walking, right? Not stopping every 30 seconds to wait for an animation to complete so you don't walk too far away from your target.

I sort of don't get this with AR games in general either. Wizards Unite also has more elaborate encounters, with more complicated motions, than Pokemon Go. But also you're supposed to be walking (cars and public transit are not recommended, though obviously possible). There's a weird tension between making the game more compelling by adding interesting mechanics, and not making it too interesting because inevitably someone will walk themselves in front of an oncoming bus.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Downloaded it on my phone and played a bit without telling Andrea - who's a huge Potter fan - that it was available. She noticed me playing it and freaked out, downloaded it and we went for a walk to try it out. This really disrupts a walk more than Pokemon did, the first time she hit a 'go back to your mark' warning Andrea said "Are they stupid? This isn't going to work at all for walking and playing."

I haven't played Pokemon in ages, but WU has a ton to do and the gameplay feels more fun than Pokemon did. I can't see it holding my attention for long, but Andrea's loving it.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, for me the endgame is to complete the final chamber in the fortresses.

While confoundables are kind of whatever, I also hated the PoGo loop of basically infinite inventory management. And it was an extremely annoying inventory management. Go through the slow ass UI to check each and every pokemon I captured and check their moves and CP with a 3rd party tool and see if I want to discard it. I spent 5x more time micromanaging my list than playing the actual game and was basically what eventually caused me to stop playing.

At least with HPWU I can just throw away ingredients mostly at a glance, and that's about it.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a place to read up on all the mechanics and terminology? I just installed a dark detector on something and in the midst of tapping on stuff quickly (I was on a streetcar and was worried I'd be out of range soon) I completely missed the tutorial text. This is becoming a common occurrence and basically nothing about the game is self-evident besides "trace stuff to cast spells." I just did a challenge for the first time and had no idea why I couldn't cast spells until I realized your wand has a reticule you have to aim by dragging across the screen like a touchpad.

I still feel like I have no idea what the fuck is going on. I am the most muggle-y of muggles. (Do people say that? I don't know if people say that.)

EDIT: Opened a Portmanteau. Got taken into this weird AR thing where you had to collect 5 of a thing. Managed to find 2 things before the game froze solid. Restart the game, the Portmanteau is gone. Nice.

At least I figured out what Dark Detectors are. They're Pokemon lures.

Last edited:

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am kinda conflicted about the game.

The gameplay is pretty solid and the character progression system and skill trees are incredibly compelling! Fighting at towers is actually fun and nail-biting, unlike the Pokemon Go Gyms after they all received a massive nerf. I like that there is progression outside of the XP grind, and I can't wait to take on Tower challenges with friends who play. I think stacking Dark Detectors is a pretty cool way to encourage social play.

On the other hand, the game just seems monetized out the ass. 2 hours minimum to craft a potion that is useful for 1 encounter at best? Fuck that noise. Potions should have a fixed and finite duration; preferably 5-60 minutes depending on how good it is. Why am I hitting the limits of my herb inventory on Day 1? Why are there so many herbs? I can carry 200 herbs yet somehow there's only 2-3 potions that all those ingredients will allow me to craft. The answer to all these and more questions is just that they want to nudge you into buying gold. I honestly wouldn't have a problem paying for an inventory bump, but because potions are so slow to produce you won't ever be able to use up all your ingredients.......therefore your inventory will always be maxed out. Why pay to carry 50 more herbs when in less than 20 minutes I will collect 50 herbs and have to start deleting them again to make space?

I think the Spell Energy system makes it too difficult to play with other people. In Pokemon Go you could easily amass hundreds of pokeballs......but here you are limited to 75 Energy from the very get go. Unless you want to play in and around clusters of Inns, it's going to be rough maintaining enough energy to keep going without having to farm.

CloverNotes

Oct 25, 2017
This game is fun. But I kept failing to cast spells well. Might not be tracing fast and well enough. Things I was fighting almost always killed me or ran away.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Game just got release here in Brazil. I will be trying it out. So, if anyone feels like adding a friend: 2276 2027 4440

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I swear 90% of the time I use an estimulo potion, I still fail the first time despite it being in the 1st green bracket implying a high success rate, and then it flees.

Considering how much time it takes to get potions brewed, they can go fuck themselves.

Yes, I know that they want to egg you on to buy potions, but that's not how free to play game design works. The people that impulse buy are the ones that didn't wait a day to brew 2 potions and want to collect everything immediately. If the potions don't do anything, I'm just not going to use them.

I'm mostly now:
1. Re-catching low level stuff as I upgrade portrait sets.
2. Wizard challenges as they do hand out runes and it's 40 gold to get nearly a dozen.
3. Purple stuff on maps, because I'm an auror and they can't flee.

Last edited:

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I mean, for me the endgame is to complete the final chamber in the fortresses.

While confoundables are kind of whatever, I also hated the PoGo loop of basically infinite inventory management. And it was an extremely annoying inventory management. Go through the slow ass UI to check each and every pokemon I captured and check their moves and CP with a 3rd party tool and see if I want to discard it. I spent 5x more time micromanaging my list than playing the actual game and was basically what eventually caused me to stop playing.

At least with HPWU I can just throw away ingredients mostly at a glance, and that's about it.

Yeah, I swear they put tons of ginger root on the map to sap peoples inventory so they get annoyed and pay for upgrades. I just have learned not to pick it up.

MrMattatee

Oct 27, 2017
Texas (aka, the upside down)
I'm at level 11, I have an awesome playground from my home, and I'm quiting this game. I've reached the point where it's just the slow grind, and I won't for these reasons:

This game is slow. Every single activity is bogged down in sub menus and animations.

Moving 10 mph breaks the game map. The game world map has so many unfoundable and ingredient spawns for the servers to keep track of that the game just stalls, unable to even load the GPS information - the game world map and avatar just freeze in time. This doesn't happen in PoGo.

Unlike Pokémon Go, I don't know what unfoundable I am clicking on. It's just a generic symbol for each category, which visually says to me "you're here to grind, so click it all and don't worry about it."

When I click on a pokemon, it's instantly there for me to throw a ball. When I click on an unfoundable, a blank load screen appears and I wait up to 5 seconds, then I get an animation that I have to tap to skip, then a threat-level animation that I have to tap to skip, then I can cast a spell. When it's caught, there's another animation, followed by multiple menu prompts and then if there are many spawns the map has to reload them. Every. single. time.

The arbitrary nature of casting a spell successfully is not nearly as satisfying as mastering excellent curve ball throws on pokemon, learning the curve for each species. There's a physics engine there, there's sport there. In WU, there's just a squiggle with a few dots judging your tracing abilities. For a game that is about grinding hard for hundreds of hours, finding the same confounding unfoundables over and over again is *boring.*

Confounding, restrictive inventories. PoGo has a single item inventory, and you can use that space for your own playstyle. If you want to use it all for pokeballs, you can. WU has an inventory for pokeballs, an inventory for berries, and an inventory for making berries (since you can't find berries at the pokestops in WU), each with a restrictive limit. PoGo allows us to expand our one inventory space by 50 items with 200 coins, WU allows us to expand only one of its inventories at a time by 10 with 150-200 coins. You chose to put coins into having more spell energy? You're still going to have a crappy ingredients limit. And to delete each of the dozens of ingredients, we have to go through submenus for each ingredient, while in PoGo, there's a delete button next to each item.

Too slow, too tedious. And that's coming from someone who can pretty easily play this game without running out of resources. For any rural players, this game is impossible to play due to resource limitations that can only be fixed with money. I'm not going to bother detailing the cliche, money-grabbing manipulations this game is rife with, as it doesn't personally affect my ability to play, but for anyone that it does, this game is completely broken.

Last edited:

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's people on the Reddit making pretty good lists of how much stuff to keep in your ingredients inventory. I wrote out a list and put it in my wallet. There's a few rare items that you should never ever delete, but beyond that you don't really need to carry more than 8 of most items.

Last edited:

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Moving 10 mph breaks the game map. There are so many spawns of unfoundables and ingredients that the game just stalls and doesn't even move. This doesn't happen in PoGo.

Unlike Pokémon Go, I don't know what unfoundable I am clicking on. It's just a generic symbol for each category, which visually says to me "you're here to grind, so click it all and don't worry about it."

I think this is intentional along with the inns requiring a more precise hand movement to activate in order to crack down on players that drive while playing.

What's annoying is that in areas with lots of concrete where my location gets stuck for several seconds and then updates from walking and triggers that error. That's just in suburbia with 3-4 story buildings, I imagine it's nonstop in major cities. In Pokemon Go raiding at the Driskill in Austin TX is hard because the location will keep drifting across the street and the dart back, and repeat.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

When I click on a pokemon, it's instantly there for me to throw a ball. When I click on an unfoundable, a blank load screen appears and I wait up to 5 seconds, then I get an animation that I have to tap to skip, then a threat-level animation that I have to tap to skip, then I can cast a spell. When it's caught, there's another animation, followed by multiple menu prompts and then if there are many spawns the map has to reload them. Every. single. time.
These games are meant to be grinds that encompass hundreds of hours. Once Pokemon Go removed Stardust as a daily Gym reward the game became a Stardust grind where you just indiscriminately click everything for a quick capture and dust. It's nice that you can see different pokemon on the map, but at the end of the day you weren't really going to be choosy about which ones you went after......and generally you prefered the easy trash pokemon that you could make quick work of. it is every bit as much of a grind as Wizards United.

PoGo also has its fair share of completely unskippable animations and menus. How many hours did you spend in marathon Pidgey Evolving sessions, do you think?

Thus far I am preferring Wizards Unite, just because it has a meaningful progression system and challenges/goals to aspire to. PoGo's progression was largely inconsequential -- you're just filling up an XP bar and dumping dust into pokemon. There was nothing to really aspire to other than your own self-made goals or the tiresome quest chores. Filling out the WU Skill Tree and taking on the WU Fortresses just seems way more compelling than dust dumps and Gyms -- especially since Gyms have become such pushovers.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
There's people on the Reddit making pretty good lists of how much stuff to keep in your ingredients inventory. I wrote out a list and put it in my wallet. There's a few rare items that you should never ever delete, but beyond that you don't really need to carry more than 8 of most items.

Yeah, I figure anything I have more than 8 of I can toss because it's not rare.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Confounding, restrictive inventories. PoGo has a single item inventory, and you can use that space for your own playstyle. If you want to use it all for pokeballs, you can. WU has an inventory for pokeballs, an inventory for berries, and an inventory for making berries (since you can't find berries at the pokestops in WU), each with a restrictive limit. PoGo allows us to expand our one inventory space by 50 items with 200 coins, WU allows us to expand only one of its inventories at a time by 10 with 150-200 coins. You chose to put coins into having more spell energy? You're still going to have a crappy ingredients limit. And to delete each of the dozens of ingredients, we have to go through submenus for each ingredient, while in PoGo, there's a delete button next to each item.

Too slow, too tedious. And that's coming from someone who can pretty easily play this game without running out of resources. For any rural players, this game is impossible to play due to resource limitations that can only be fixed with money. I'm not going to bother detailing the cliche, money-grabbing manipulations this game is rife with, as it doesn't personally affect my ability to play, but for anyone that it does, this game is completely broken.

To add to that, they also charge nearly a dollar per key which is a single use. In Pokemon Go you buy the adventure pack which typically has 17 incubators (3x use) for ~$12. So 12/17*3=$0.23. So portkey boxes cost nearly 4x as much as eggs.

The game is greed all around. And it was worse day 1. Most inns gave tea which gave 1 energy at the time, rofl.

I'm not spending money until:
1. There's a large community
2. Keys are similarly priced
3. Potions are on 30 minute timers and not "resisted, flee" on first try and potion gone.

I don't even know what the # on the runes means.

Edit: Looked it up, it's difficulty. But you can also put rune #1 in a higher chamber number to get higher difficulty. I'm guessing it's also enemy types.

Last edited:

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's interesting to consider if the more aggressive microtransactions in Wizards United are due to the influence of Warner Brothers Games (who has been very keen on adding microtransactions to things like Mortal Kombat and Shadow of Mordor)......

But at the same time, how much of it is Niantic simply trying to correct "errors" and regrets they had with Pokemon Go? Throughout PoGo's history they have rolled back their generosity in several ways -- you used to be able to earn 100 coins and 10,000 Stardust per day without doing a whole lot other than retaining Gym towers. Now you can earn only 50 coins per day (and NO Stardust) and you kinda have to bust ass to do it since towers flip almost constantly. You used to get a huge ass stockpile of potions and berries from from Pokestops, and at some point they didn't like this and decided dramatically reduce the rate at which you could earn potions.

So Wizards United now obviously launches with a very stingy, nerfed mechanism for earning gold coins because they felt they gave away too much in PoGo. Potions are a difficult and rare commodity in Wizards United because Niantic didn't like people stocking hundreds and hundreds of them in PoGo. There's basically a hard cap on how many potions you can carry, though admittedly potions aren't as necessary as they were in PoGo.

Someone on the Reddit claimed that this is the philosophy in mobile game development now -- your game should be very stingy when it launches, because if/when people complain you can loosen up the economy for good PR. It's much more difficult to go in the other direction -- launch with generous offerings, and then take away the things players liked because you don't think you're making enough money. Just like with the Spell Energy issues at launch, I suspect that the game will be slowly become more generous based on player feedback.

To add to that, they also charge nearly a dollar per key which is a single use. In Pokemon Go you buy the adventure pack which typically has 17 incubators (3x use) for ~$12. So 12/17*3=$0.23. So portkey boxes cost nearly 4x as much as eggs.
I think it is hard to compare since Portkeys are arguably much more valuable than the eggs in Pokemon Go. They almost always reward useful progression items or rare ingredients, whereas hatching a Pokemon egg often just gave you useless trash pokemon that you would instantly transfer. It was also difficult to time the egg hatchings with a double XP bonus potion, whereas since the Portkeys are user-activated I can queue up 8 of them in a row, pop Double XP, and then do them all for a tidy bonus.

I'd need to get a better idea of how useful Portkeys are in the endgame before I really come down on them for the cost.

My main gripe right now is that there doesn't seem to be too many good ways to grind out XP. I think Niantic wasn't really a fan of the Pidgey evolution hack in PoGo, and have done their best to stamp out quickly repeatable XP bumps like that. Today I got about 7-8K XP by just repeating Level 1 Fortress challenges with the Double XP potion......but that's really nothing compared to what you could get with the evolution exploits in PoGo.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I think it is hard to compare since Portkeys are arguably much more valuable than the eggs in Pokemon Go. They almost always reward useful progression items or rare ingredients, whereas hatching a Pokemon egg often just gave you useless trash pokemon that you would instantly transfer. It was also difficult to time the egg hatchings with a double XP bonus potion, whereas since the Portkeys are user-activated I can queue up 8 of them in a row, pop Double XP, and then do them all for a tidy bonus.

I'd need to get a better idea of how useful Portkeys are in the endgame before I really come down on them for the cost.

My main gripe right now is that there doesn't seem to be too many good ways to grind out XP. I think Niantic wasn't really a fan of the Pidgey evolution hack in PoGo, and have done their best to stamp out quickly repeatable XP bumps like that. Today I got about 7-8K XP by just repeating Level 1 Fortress challenges with the Double XP potion......but that's really nothing compared to what you could get with the evolution exploits in PoGo.

I've only seen trivial amounts of exp, +5-20 house points (which is easily obtainable from confoundables) and materials I just throw out. Maybe a rare house card, I don't know but I'm not interested at that price. You could load up on 10 at once and spend $10 for what?

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
So a counterpoint to the stinginess is that it's actually possible to get random premium currency/drops just playing the game. I've gotten a couple coins and even a key today returning the confoundables. I forgot how it was in pokemon in general but I think you can't get the limited-used incubators normally at all anymore without paying?