• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn these type of gamings are cropping up more lately, is there genre name for this already?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Pikachu killed Dumbledore

giphy.gif

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
I want a more catchy and corny one like 'schlooter'. Don't fail me Era lol

Yo, dawg. There aint no "c" in the words looter or shooter. The abomination of a word used to describe the genre is "shlooter." It is bad enough as it is. Don't go adding unnecessary letters to make it even uglier.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
So the female lead in the trailer sees the world falling into chaos outside her window, immediately grabs her gear to confidently leap into action and fight, then chickens out once she gets to an ice cream truck and watches, cowering, as the two boy wizards charge into battle instead? Blech.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
So the female lead in the trailer sees the world falling into chaos outside her window, immediately grabs her gear to confidently leap into action and fight, then chickens out once she gets to an ice cream truck and watches, cowering, as the two boy wizards charge into battle instead? Blech.

Hufflepuff confirmed.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Yay more games to play only on Cons and such :') I drive to commute and if my grown ass goes around a park doing " hi fellow kids" on these kind of games there is def going to be some weirded out parents.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
I live near Universal Orlando, so I'll probably go try the game there tomorrow. It'll be fitting playing in Diagon Alley.

That said, I can't believe the game is about to release and I still don't understand how this is going to hook people like Pokemon Go has. Catching actual Pokemon, with the added thrill of obtaining Shiny variants, leveling them up and using them in battle is a fun concept, especially to flaunt socially.

Here, though, there's nothing to catch and flaunt that I can tell. I can't see an element to which other players will be excited by what another player has accomplished, or what they may want to trade for.

Yeah, better potions, skill treees, stronger spells, collectibles are in play, but they're all on the back end; nothing for other players to easily discern. Does that make sense?

I'm sure some replies will be questioning why I want recognition above all else, and I don't, but let's be real, an enjoyable aspect of social games/MMOs is the fun of flaunting your best shiny/mount/gear/etc.

What's this got for that?

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love me some hp. Question is whether that universe can support an AR game to the same degree Pokemon did. Pokemon is all about going on an adventure around the land capturing Pokemon and battling others. It was made for one of those AR phone games.

Harry Potter on the other hand is largely known for its school setting, so going around capturing and stopping magical acts might get older much quicker.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I live near Universal Orlando, so I'll probably go try the game there tomorrow. It'll be fitting playing in Diagon Alley.

That said, I can't believe the game is about to release and I still don't understand how this is going to hook people like Pokemon Go has. Catching actual Pokemon, with the added thrill of obtaining Shiny variants, leveling them up and using them in battle is a fun concept, especially to flaunt socially.

Here, though, there's nothing to catch and flaunt that I can tell. I can't see an element to which other players will be excited by what another player has accomplished, or what they may want to trade for.

Yeah, better potions, skill treees, stronger spells, collectibles are in play, but they're all on the back end; nothing for other players to easily discern. Does that make sense?

I'm sure some replies will be questioning why I want recognition above all else, and I don't, but let's be real, an enjoyable aspect of social games/MMOs is the fun of flaunting your best shiny/mount/gear/etc.

What's this got for that?

Picking on Hufflepuffs.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
So, I tried this.

I played Pokemon Go at launch, was pretty into it for about a month, then dropped it. So that is my only frame of reference, and it was a while ago. If the game has changed since then, I wouldn't know.

It functions pretty similarly to Pokemon Go. You walk around, find Foundables (Pokemon), but instead of capturing them you swipe your finger to follow a pattern, like casting a spell with a wand. And holy cow is it hard. I went on a 40 minute walk, found 19 Foundables, and got "Great" once and the rest of the time was split amongst "Fair" and "Good". There is also an "Excellent" rating. Never saw it. You can tell how difficult they are by the light that shines out from them while you're walking. I don't remember Pokemon Go having this feature. Each time you attempt a cast to defeat/capture the Foundable, you spend one energy. You start with 75. I have not found a way to recover this, and am sitting at 3. I don't know if it refills over time, requires you to level, or what. I'm almost out.

Another aspect is potion crafting. While in the world, along with Foundables, you can find ingredients for Potions. Potions are crafted in a cauldron on a timer. They're similar to the items in Pokemon Go, not much to talk about here.

Finally, it has the egg system found in Pokemon Go. What is inside the egg? Dunno. Haven't opened one yet. You can have one opening at a time, and they open when you walk a certain distance, unless you use a Silver Key, in which case you can work on multiple at a time.

There are six "schools" of Foundables, each with an EXP bar that rewards you with goodies once you hit milestones in each "school".

Apparently there are professions (dunno, not leveled up enough yet) and some other features like a Golden Cauldron, etc that I haven't unlocked yet.

Overall, it seems neat. It's a bit like Go, but for Potterheads. It has a much larger focus on story. Haven't visited any restaurants, etc yet. I'm concerned about the energy (Pokeball) system. It's never explained how it recovers. I really hope I don't have to visit this games equivalent of a Pokestop. I live in the middle of the country. You'd think they'd learn that people in the country walk too.

Last edited:

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Looks interesting! I might try it out later on. Hopefully it can find it's own ground separate from GO.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Did a little more research, and yep, if you don't live in an urban area, you're fucked.

Energy can only be gotten from this game's equivalent of PokeStops.

You'd think that they'd be able to implement something like "If you're walking and there are not any [PokeStops] within X km, regenerate 1 energy per X meters".

But no. Too hard, apparently.

Sigh.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think one of the few things I dislike more than Harry Potter itself is David Yates styled Harry Potter. 🚮

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
so will this use all the same locations as Pokemon Go? I live right behind a Pokestop(with a gym about a 5 minute walk away) and work in proximity to two Pokestops and a gym. Would be neat to use the same locations in this game.

socksfelloff

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If this is the lense you see the world through I feel really sorry for you.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't have a lot of attachment to Pokemon before Go came out (like I knew who Pikachu was and that's about it), but the appeal was easy to see: cute monster things you can catch! Awesome!

I don't have any attachment to Harry Potter either, and the appeal of this game is more inscrutable. I'll probably try it out when it launches, but my interest is 100% because of Niantic's work on Pokemon Go and my curiosity in seeing how the Niantic formula evolves here. The actual Harry Potter bits don't interest me at all and I'm actually worried they'll get in the way of my enjoyment.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
so will this use all the same locations as Pokemon Go? I live right behind a Pokestop(with a gym about a 5 minute walk away) and work in proximity to two Pokestops and a gym. Would be neat to use the same locations in this game.
Okay yeah, the Pokestops are the same in this game, though since there's no gyms the ones I can see are Pokestop equivalants(guess they are called inns). There's also added fortresses which I'm not sure what those are yet.

Also yeah it's out on iOS. It looks so much better than Pokemon Go graphically

Last edited:

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Had a bash on it earlier, battles against CPU is basically sticker collecting. This game won't have the same pull as Pokemon Go does, but it'll have a following for certain.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
If this is the lense you see the world through I feel really sorry for you.

Feel however you want – it's narratively dumb. Remove or reverse the genders if you want to: It doesn't make sense to open with a hero character seeing danger and running toward it, then having that same character do a total reversal and act like a scaredy-cat when they get to the fight that they just ran straight toward on purpose.

OP
OP
LuuKyK

LuuKyK

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
Feel however you want – it's narratively dumb. Remove or reverse the genders if you want to: It doesn't make sense to open with a hero character seeing danger and running toward it, then having that same character do a total reversal and act like a scaredy-cat when they get to the fight that they just ran straight toward on purpose.

I see your point but idk there might have been some other possibilities in play here. Maybe she thought it was something else, or there were more enemies then she was expecting.

socksfelloff

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see your point but idk there might have been some other possibilities in play here. Maybe she thought it was something else, or there were more enemies then she was expecting.

Maybe the kids were just having fun and role playing. Maybe their plan was for her to run out and be a diversion while the two others attacked!

Maybe they are just kids of any gender or race. Who cares! Stop making it more then it is.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the kids were just having fun and role playing. Maybe their plan was for her to run out and be a diversion while the two others attacked!

Maybe they are just kids of any gender or race. Who cares! Stop making it more then it is.
The trailer doesn't exist in a vacuum, it exists in a world where women and female characters are consistently sidelined or portrayed as needing protecting by male characters.