• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
If WB is smart they'll find a way to keep JKR busy with something else so this can exist without her TERF-ness ruining it.

Seven of Nine

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck JK Rowling and fuck this series.

I would only watch this if it contained so much diversity that JK Rowling comes out and states she hates it. Which won't happen because she likely has control over wether or not trans people are allowed to exist in that universe.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Will this be based upon the events after the movies or will it be a re-telling of the movies (or maybe a prequel)?

A lot of possibilities, just hope it turns out to be good.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
They definitely need to get away from the Harry Potter/Dumbledore era. Like SW this IP has become trapped in one or two characters' stories, building increasingly stupid layers of shit on top. Either jump way into the past or way into the future.

A story showing the founding of Hogwarts would definitely be cool.
Yeah, that would really nice, cause honestly, i dont care about a similar timeline, it would just be boring, cause we seen so much from it.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Please let JK have as little involvement as possible. It's bad enough knowing she'd profit off this series, but at least keep her shitty writing away; she's been unable to write an engaging story that makes sense since Deathly Hallows.

So if someone else is writing it, then I'll at least watch out for this. But if they really want to guarantee I see this, bring it back to Hogwarts with a new generation of students or maybe a Quidditch series.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This was rumored for a while. Last year I finally experienced HP after avoiding it for so long, and binged on all the movies, including the Fantastic Beast franchise. It left me excited for the game and future of movies and tv. Then JK Rowling revealed herself as a piece of shit....

She'll not get a penny out of me. Enjoy dealing with that shit, WB.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
A series that properly adapted the seven books would be nice but it's probably some spinoff story.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This year marks the 20th anniversary of the first movie releasing.

Oct 31, 2017
Fantastic idea given the success of SW and - seemingly - Marvel live action series. Plus the hype for TLOR series.

I have reservations regarding how well this will do given all the actors are grown ass people now, but it could definitely work and be an HBO Max seller for a lot of people.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Of all the books that would need it, it would be the fifth book. There was so much content from the book that was cut in the film
Imagine people actually paying attention to Harry's final duel with Voldemort instead of face scratching. What garbage.

And yeah the 5th book is the longest so it saw a lot cut out especially with The Order and Grimmauld Place.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
My guess would be modern day Hogwarts so they don't have to deal with any of the characters from the films or prequels.

I thought maybe a show following Tom Riddle's time as a student could be a cool idea, but then they'd have to recast Dumbledore and all of the professors and I just don't see them doing that.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a huge HP fan, so I'm very excited for this. Hopefully it isn't a cheap cash-grab like the Fantastic Beasts movies, which I thought were mediocre at best.

It would be interesting if they did a prequel story focused on Tom Riddle or Dumbledore, or even the Hogwarts founders (Salazar Slytherin, Helga Hufflepuff, Godric Gryffindor, Rowena Ravenclaw, etc). So it would take place about a thousand years before HP is born.

Last edited:

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Ahh okay, that could be interesting, but let's see what they pick for the show. I was always interested how Hogwarts started, and the whole story with Salazar Slytherin.

Same. Hope they do something interesting. I like the HP universe, but I'd love to see more stories of other people and times.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure i can dig it, but JK needs to stay away creatively because if the Fantastic Beasts movies are any indication she can't write worth shit. Not watching something she writes or is involved with in that way.

Can't stop her from taking a check for the IP but I grew up with the IP so hard for me to turn away from it completely even if she is trying her hardest to do so.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
My two daughters grew up in that period where Harry Potter is a huge part of their lives, reading the books and graduating to the movies in their teens. It was really fun growing up around it, sorta like Star Wars for my generation. It'll be interesting to see how this translates to their own children, the world building can be very rich and interesting, especially for Americans who have a bit of fascination with "old school" Europe.

I do wonder what time period they would set it, modern era makes the most sense I think. Going backwards in time I don't think is as interesting, as Fantastic Beasts has shown.

WB definitely seems to be all in with at least one video game, I could imagine even more being developed to all launch around the same time. There is also the Universal theme park.

Oct 30, 2017
Rowling's a TERF
Rowling's a terrible screenwriter
Her universe isn't deep enough for a TV series

I really don't know how they spin this into anything remotely interesting.

Melville85

Banned
Nov 15, 2020
I wouldn't be that interested in Potter stories by other writers and now I don't really want Potter stories by the actual writer so this doesn't appeal.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Can't bring myself to care about this even a little bit considering JK will profit off of it.

GK86

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this shit either gets canceled or all the leads are transgender actors.

Edit - Almost forgot: Fuck you, JK Rowling.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Could be good, I'm cautiously excited. Not much/any of the HP expanded universe stuff has been very good though so far. Hopefully it's an original story set in that world and JKR isn't involved at all. Really curious about what setting, era, and characters they choose. So many possibilities, I'll be disappointed if they try too hard to link it closely to the original story.

I don't blame anyone for dropping the IP because of her, though. Harry Potter was such a big part of my childhood that I'm not going to completely drop it, but I'll certainly back up the criticisms of her bigotry. She can fuck off. Unfortunately, I've long ago gotten used to the fact that almost all money I spend is profiting some bigot or oppressor in some way and have had to compartmentalize that to some degree for my own sanity. Pretty much every US corporation donates huge sums to the Republican party every year and every electronic device is made with slave labor, so it can be hard to consistently draw a line in the sand with my purchasing habits. I've kinda just given up on that side, and instead do the best I can to criticize the shitty behavior and donate to good causes that oppose them.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I would have been happy about this 5 years ago, but AT&T has shown it can't handle human rights.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
shitbag creator aside, after FB i dont have any faith in them creating anything worthwhile anymore, but i dont blame WB/HBO, theyre in the same boat at Apple+, spent god knows how much money and they still dont have a show that resonates like Mando, they need a surefire hit

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we just move onto using one the rip off Harry Potter series instead?

We just need a whimsical show about young witches and wizards in schools, doesn't have to be hogwarts

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Give me a side plot story line of the auras during the whole time period of the potter series.

or punished potter as an aura in adult hood

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
This could be very big if they get the original cast back, and make the show for grownups. For people that red the book when they were kids but now are in their 20s and 30s.

tekomandor

Oct 27, 2017
This seems much more likely than the game to be heavily influenced by Rowling. I'd play the game, but it'll be a hard pass on anything she touches herself.

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
only watching if it's set in the pre-plumbing wizarding era

EMKQMBsWoAE0BEp.png

The worst part is that they didn't actually make the shit disappear. They just made it invisible.

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately for the other millions of the world are still gonna to subs this shit without knowledge of her bigotry toward trans people.

Watch this shit is gonna to skyrocket the profit in no time.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
This is something I always wanted and I won't watch one second of it. It's a bizzare move by WB after seeing the blowback on the upcoming game. They know how toxic she is, it's un elieveable they would even entertain this now.

It's also just bad business in general even if JKR were not around anymore. Theyre still doing the Fantastic franchise which is connected to the original film series, why would you reboot it as a tv series at the same time. WB mishandles their properties but this is one that should just die off because it's too tainted anyway.

What an absolute shame how someone like JKR who inspired so many young kids revealed herself to be an absolute monster.