• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I won't be watching this. I love the films and the cast but I don't want to be party to making JK Rowling richer.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So....are we doing positive/marketing threads on HP again here? I thought that was a pretty blanket soft-ban, not just for the video game.

Glad the TERF isn't a part of this though. A reminder that it's Transgender Awareness Week, with a very impressive and informative thread put together by Kyuuji in service to that.

Oct 25, 2017
Daniel has been in the news today praising JK Rowling.
www.scotsman.com

Daniel Radcliffe: 'Harry Potter author JK Rowling is an immensely intelligent, funny, kind human being'

Daniel Radcliffe has heaped praise on JK Rowling, describing the Harry Potter author as an “immensely intelligent, funny, kind human being”.
I wonder what Emma Watson will have to say in the BBC documentary.
The quote "it would be very difficult for anything to happen in the Harry Potter world without her involvement really, and (have) it feel like the same world" makes me feel like he's justifying going in on another film, unless thats out-of-context and the following words were "...but thankfully there's a good team of writers that can make it work without her"

WildGoose

Oct 27, 2017
Daniel has been in the news today praising JK Rowling.
www.scotsman.com

Daniel Radcliffe: 'Harry Potter author JK Rowling is an immensely intelligent, funny, kind human being'

Daniel Radcliffe has heaped praise on JK Rowling, describing the Harry Potter author as an “immensely intelligent, funny, kind human being”.
I wonder what Emma Watson will have to say in the BBC documentary.

And there it is. His "support" of trans rights doesn't actually mean shit if he's defending JKR like that.

Dec 2, 2017
Glad to see how much of Era doesn't give a fuck about the trans community as long as they get their new Harry Potter film. Fantastic really.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
I really just don't see Radcliffe or Watson wanting to come back for any type of sequel any time soon. They both seem really content in their lives and careers right now.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
This definitely would have made me happy to check out, if only Rowling wasn't a TERF!

Not gonna bother viewing this. Even if she isn't there, Rowling is so going to profit of this special.

And really disappointed that Daniel Radcliffe went about to side with Rowling in the end. Time to add him to the pile of complicit people.

Years later and you see more Harry Potter references out in the open than Star Wars made by people , people love Harry Potter

The fact Rowling is transphobic is why we consider the Wizarding World IP to be a dumpster fire, popularity or not.

Last edited:

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My mistake, after going through older threads for the staff posts it looks like only Hogwarts Legacy promotion/hyping was banned.

Still, really poor form to have something of a HP hype thread during trans awareness week.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My mistake, after going through older threads for the staff posts it looks like only Hogwarts Legacy promotion/hyping was banned.

Still, really poor form to have something of a HP hype thread during trans awareness week.
Yeah and it's always the same people making and populating the threads. I have managed to shame kill a couple but this one seems to be going, I feel like I should start making a list of posters I cannot trust because they put HP ahead of people like me, who still do not have equal rights and if JKR has her way we are going to start losing more. But I guess wizard boy means more than some of us being treated equal or even human.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you, google was giving me these frustrating content farms that obscure everything behind links back to their own site for clicks. I think it was one of those blog posts she wrote that I wilfully erased from my brain.

I don't think that confirms the claim made there though.

She's just using that old trope of "[nearly] everyone agrees with me but they're too scared to say it!"

Nothing there about equating support for her projects/products as support for her beliefs.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Well this is gross timing. HP hype threads really shouldn't be allowed here, at the very least there shouldn't be an OT for this when this releases. Rowling actively uses the money and influence she gets from this franchise to hurt the trans community. Considering what is happening with the BBC and the normalization of transphobia in the UK, we can't pretend she's just some harmless kook. As sad as it might be for fans you can't divorce the art from the artist here.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think that confirms the claim made there though.

She's just using that old trope of "[nearly] everyone agrees with me but they're too scared to say it!"

Nothing there about equating support for her projects/products as support for her beliefs.
Well it really doesn't matter if she said it or not it's true. She is the sole holder of the property and it's the property that gives her mindshare, so supporting it even when she is "not involved wink wink" is still giving her more money and keeping her mindshare relevant and she is using that money and mindshare to explicitly hurt trans people.

Don't ever forget she is a big reason the UK pulled out of implementing legislation that was previously supported that would have set protections for trans people in stone.

And I do not get to look at this from a distance like it's a thought experiment, these things and her influence directly affects my life so at the least those celebrating it could at least do it somewhere else, doing it here on a forum with a decent and active trans community, during transgender awareness week no less is like getting slapped in the face, nice to know my humanity is worth less than some fictional stories.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
JK Rowling is evil, but that won't stop people from being excited when they announce a 100% faithful movie adaptation of Cursed Child.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Yall are dragging Emma Whatson's good name by implying she would willingly attend an event with She Who Must Not Be Named anywhere in sight 😭

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine it'll probably be like the Friends reunion right, just the cast sitting around fake reminiscing (scripted stuff) for fans.

My kids grew up devouring Harry Potter so it'll probably be pretty fun watching with them on NYE, good timing on HBO's part although surprised they didn't choose Christmas day, especially with how important that day has been in a few of the HP books.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Damn, even for this?

She still takes a cut, even if it's just a cast reunion?

Nintendo DMCA stuff that had less to do with nintendo IPs than this has to do with Harry potter.

3tfXs7h.png

it even has the "wizarding world" logo (it is the name for HP extended universe)

edit:
" (previously known as J. K. Rowling's Wizarding World)"

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even sure what I feel about HP. I liked the books and the universe, though that was a whiiiile ago at this point. The movies didn't really compel me enough to watch all of them but I did like the cast a lot from the ones I did watch. Fantastic Beasts has been whatever. If they announce an adaptation of that play that's supposed to be really bad that's kind of disappointing but I think my general liking of the universe might pull me into giving it a shot still, kind of like the game. Lots of potential.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Nintendo DMCA stuff that had less to do with nintendo IPs than this has to do with Harry potter.

3tfXs7h.png

it even has the "wizarding world" logo (it is the name for HP extended universe)

edit:
" (previously known as J. K. Rowling's Wizarding World)"
Damn never knew
1) Her name was part of the brand name before
2) It was changed to take her name out

Was it changed after she went nuclear on social media?

MsMuerta

Nov 8, 2017
I get why the actors would come back even if some are repulsed by Rowling's comments - the films were their childhood and have surely been vastly influential in their upbringing. It's not as black or white than what we would prefer.

But fuck Radcliffe tho

VioletVVitch

Oct 27, 2017
Grew up with HP, it got me into reading and I was a HUGE Potterhead. I can't even look at the books now without feeling sick to my stomach knowing if JK had her way I'd be dead or at least closeted and miserable my whole life. Really saddens me that people can look past that. And I'm especially unhappy with the actors being involved after speaking out. This just gives her a bigger platform(and more money)

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I get why the actors would come back even if some are repulsed by Rowling's comments - the films were their childhood and have surely been vastly influential in their upbringing. It's not as black or white than what we would prefer.

But fuck Radcliffe tho
Kind of where I am at, but really disappointed in Daniel for his coming out and praising a known transphobe.

Osan912

Avenger
Sep 22, 2018
Ehh I hope it's just a glorified Graham Norton style interview and nothing else. I skipped CC completely and really hope they avoid adapting it. It feels like titling at windmills but I hope WB waits longer to do an HBO series.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
The only way I'd watch this is if they announced they bought the rights to the franchise and JK is out. Loved the series but I won't be supporting it anymore, however I won't pretend I didnt love the books and movies either.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Those first two Columbus films definitely had a whimsical charm to them that most of Yates' films lacked.

They also took their time with pacing and world-building.

The only exception was Half-blood Prince, which for some reason was a shockingly good entry by Yates.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I'm only interested if they somehow manage to convince Alfonso Cuaron to make another one of these. Outside of Azkaban and Order of the Phoenix (which is a shockingly good entry from the otherwise boring Yates), the HP films are pretty bad.

Those first two Columbus films definitely had a whimsical charm to them that most of Yates' films lacked.

I was absolutely shocked to find out last year that Chamber of Secrets is almost three hours long. I have no clue how the hell I had the patience as a kid to sit through that movie over and over again.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I was pretty done with harry potter as a franchise, even before the more recentish revelations about JK Rowling's character. It had a place during a certain time for me and I've moved on.
But I have a special love for terrible musicals. Cats, Dear Evan Hansen, The Descendants 2. I would honestly be pretty hyped for a (terrible) adaptation of The Cursed Child.

Like not in a way where I actually give any money to see it, not going to support JK anymore, but I would find a way to see it. Buy a used dvd from a thrift store or whatever.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
"International release coming soon"

When is HBO Max going to stop being such a chicken shit streaming service

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017

The only exception was Half-blood Prince, which for some reason was a shockingly good entry by Yates.

I'm planning on seeing Half Blood Prince with a live symphony in a few months, really looking forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.