• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NiallGGlynn

Apr 16, 2019
Did everyone miss the "playfully" part of that quote? It's a joke. I've never seen Ford actually be legit nasty about Star Wars, even when he's asked dumb questions like this.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, I try not to judge Harrison's behavior because, obviously, I dont know the man or his personal experience...but I will say, whenever I see stuff like this I cant help but contrast it to the day that my mom pulled me out of school so we could go see Mark Hamill give a live QnA. And man, Mark was so gracious, so enthusiastic, to interact with the fans and answer every question, whether the person was nine or forty, whether it was about Star Wars or Batman, he just seemed like he genuinely enjoyed getting to be part of the community.

A little while back I read a story about some people who drove from San Diego to see the shoot at the sarlaac pit set from Return Of The Jedi.
Mark put a robe over his then-secret costume and trekked down to the outer fence to say hi.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Hamill and the late great FIsher were hounded about Star Wars just as much if not more than Ford and they still came off as civil and friendly (if not sassy and snarky in Fisher's case). Ford is just being an asshole.

Maybe Ford doesn't give a shit about Star Wars and he doesn't want people asking him about Star Wars stuff. That should be okay too.

Mark and Fisher were nice about it but both of the ways they approach it are valid.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
giphy.gif
hanghost.jpg

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Do you really think Ford was being disrespectful or was he just having fun along with the interviewer?

Here's the full quote:

Does this sound like an asshole or being rude to the interviewer?

I should have worded it better because he's not really being directly rude to the people asking the questions, it's his "I don't give a shit" answers that bothers me to an extent. I mean I don't really get all worked up about it, but if you're part of a franchise like SW where fans would love to hear some insight from the one of the biggest stars in the franchise, you should probably put a little more effort into the answers aside from "I don't fucking know and I don't care" imo

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He isn't being a dick, it's just Ford and he knows a lot more than he lets on, plays with it. Yeah he probably couldn't give a shit but he has always been respectful of the big break Star Wars gave him. There is different types of humour and Ford rarely shows the laugh out loud side.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
A little while back I read a story about some people who drove from San Diego to see the shoot at the sarlaac pit set from Return Of The Jedi.
Mark put a robe over his then-secret costume and trekked down to the outer fence to say hi.
Mark is a legend. At the end of the QnA I was at he even agreed to stay behind and read some pages from a copy of the Killing Joke that some fans had brought with them.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
This has been Ford's thing for like, ages... He likes to play up the grumpy old man shtick and if it was real I wouldn't blame him going into the sixth decade of being pestered by what's become one of the worst fandoms.

Mark's okay with it because he's a bigger nerd than most other nerds.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
40+ years of asinine questions from die-hard fanboys would be enough to tire anyone out. Not many people have the patience of Mark Hamill.
This just speaks to him being a grouchy ass dude I wouldn't want to talk to, to me. He isn't the only one from those movies that has been asked a billion questions, yet is the only one I hear about being so sour to people. Couldn't he just only agree to do interviews that don't ask about stuff he doesn't want to talk about? I hear about that all the time.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I should have worded it better because he's not really being directly rude to the people asking the questions, it's his "I don't give a shit" answers that bothers me to an extent. I mean I don't really get all worked up about it, but if you're part of a franchise like SW where fans would love to hear some insight from the one of the biggest stars in the franchise, you should probably put a little more effort into the answers aside from "I don't fucking know and I don't care" imo

But he doesn't know and doesn't care, what should he do? Lie?

Mark is a legend. At the end of the QnA I was at he even agreed to stay behind and read some pages from a copy of the Killing Joke that some fans had brought with them.

Mark is a big ol' nerd and that's why we love him. But, he's a huge nerd.

This just speaks to him being a grouchy ass dude I wouldn't want to talk to, to me. He isn't the only one from those movies that has been asked a billion questions, yet is the only one I hear about being so sour to people. Couldn't he just only agree to do interviews that don't ask about stuff he doesn't want to talk about? I hear about that all the time.

He isn't sour to fans, he's sour to interviewers and is mostly just joking. Rarely do you hear him being rude to actual fans coming up to him. Fuck, there's a great story recently about one of the co-writers for BR2049 asking if Ford would take a few seconds to speak to his mom who is a huge fan. And, he instantly agreed to do it and was charming as well to her.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
he's always been like this. dude basically grumbled his way through his late 80-00s roles (not hating, he wasn't given particularly shakesperean material and handed a fat payout. who wouldn't roll with that).

seemed like he was genuinely amped about TFA, i suppose because he was getting old and it was his main SW sendoff. but yeah he was always just the dude who happened upon wearing makeup and getting paid millions and not really caring beyond that

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Has there ever been another actor so ungrateful and rude about the role that made them a success that they won't answer questions regarding It? Like Jesus, just fake it. You rich prick.

It's not cute when he acts like this, and I don't even care about Star Wars.

i always thought that Indiana Jones is what really made his career. sure, Han Solo helped him get there but Ford was more known for Indy overall.

also, he doesn't really need Star Wars for anything since his career is pretty diverse and he's pretty homest overall instead of putting a fake face (this probably helps him keep the more annoying fans away)

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
He isn't sour to fans, he's sour to interviewers and is mostly just joking. Rarely do you hear him being rude to actual fans coming up to him. Fuck, there's a great story recently about one of the co-writers for BR2049 asking if Ford would take a few seconds to speak to his mom who is a huge fan. And, he instantly agreed to do it and was charming as well to her.

Alright, that's good to hear.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Here's the BR2049 thing I was talking about:

www.thrillist.com

Extremes of Light and Temperature: Notes From the Set of 'Blade Runner 2049'

Michael Green reveals his on-set observations, fears, and secrets.

Michael Greene said:
My parents arrived at the hotel. They came to visit set. They always come to visit set. I've tried to stop them. There's no keeping away the Jews. I settled my parents into their room. I warned them the work order shifted and so their one set day is going to be a boring one. Stunts take forever to set up and are over fast. They couldn't be happier.

"I'm meeting Harrison Ford, though," reminded my mother. She wasn't asking. She was stating future fact. My mother adores Harrison Ford.

Hana and Allan Green are set-visit veterans. They've visited me on several shoots. On every shoot. They know what shoes to wear. I can see it on their faces as soon as we arrive: They've never seen anything like this. No one has.

Ninety-minute set-ups between stunts, no problem. They love every minute.

Then, one problem: I have no idea how to introduce my mom to Harrison. He and I haven't chatted much after the first meeting and I'm not sure he remembers me.

I figure to wait until he's done with his coverage and swoop in. But the scene is riddled with technical issues -- a flaring light on a jib keeps getting stuck, easily kicked to VFX on any other production -- and the day passes awkwardly. No good opportunity....

We come back from lunch and, given the reluctant jib, Harrison wraps almost immediately. I grab my mom's hand and lead her out the door.

I can see Harrison against a pink sunset sky -- iconic lighting follows him -- too far ahead and nearing a waiting golf cart. About to lose him.

Someone from wardrobe flags him to check a shirt -- Harrison bananas back around toward the porta-potty -- where I call out to him: "Harrison!"

He looks at me, not sure why I'm bothering him at the end of his day. Or ever really.

"I'd like to introduce you to my mom."

A pause as the information settles.

Then, his lopsided grin. "Of course."

His day-to-day dreamy self shifts in an instant to the sharp focus reserved for those who merit his most high-wattage attention. He spends several minutes with her, as sparkling as when the camera is rolling. There in front of the fetid porta-potty, I watch my mother chat with her movie star crush of 35 years, striving for casual and failing adorably. For the first time in my life, I get a glimpse of what she must have looked like as a teenager.

*two days later*

During a turnaround, I looked up from my laptop to find I was sitting next to Harrison.

"Michael Green," he said. "Good morning." He's taken to calling me by my full name, which is somehow a nickname spontaneously given to me on about half the projects I work on and the only one I will ever accept as valid.

"Morning."

After a short silence he asked me about my mother, "Where's her accent from?"

I started composing the text to her in my head.

Runwhiteboyrun

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Really not trying to be mean with it but- The man has every right to say "I don't give a shit". He lived and went through it, you didn't. If you take that personally that is your issue. He's given interviews about this series for 35 years. I'd tap out too.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Really not trying to be mean with it but- The man has every right to say "I don't give a shit". He lived and went through it, you didn't. If you take that personally that is your issue. He's given interviews about this series for 35 years. I'd tap out too.

And I have every right to say I don't like his shitty attitude. He's a dick about it. I don't find that sort of thing charming or funny, but I certainly am not taking it personally so let's take it easy here lol.

gimmmick

Nov 26, 2017
I don't blame ford for being this way. Imagine spending half your life answering the same god damn question from : movies you have done in your career?

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Has there ever been another actor so ungrateful and rude about the role that made them a success that they won't answer questions regarding It? Like Jesus, just fake it. You rich prick.

It's not cute when he acts like this, and I don't even care about Star Wars.

At the end of the day, it is just a job.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
His shtick is to be "irreverent and cranky old man" in interviews but I've heard that is just a cover for him being a shy person. You can see that in his earlier interviews. By all accounts, he is nothing but kind, loving, and gracious to fans he comes across.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
That's hilarious. Ford is the best.

Also, that was the best scene in the film by far and I'm so glad he agreed to do it.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Why doesn't he just tell interviewers no Star Wars questions, or just not do interviews if he doesn't like being asked stuff

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Lets not use the sequels as an excuse as to why he is like this. He was doing this stuff well before then.

I think he is joking about it, but there is some seriousness to it as well. He doesn't like Star Wars.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Mark is a big ol' nerd and that's why we love him. But, he's a huge nerd.
Oh, absolutely, and I honestly dont expect Harrison or any other actor to be willing to give as much of themselves as someone like Mark is seemingly willing to. In fact, I want to say that years ago I had read something to effect of Harrison actually being a relatively shy, low-key person, not a fan of public speaking. It's an unfortunate reality of celebrity culture that introversion is often portrayed as hostility.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why can't an interviewer just show genuine enthusiasm for the flawless portrayal of Dr. Richard Kimball and ask Ford how he feels looking back on the performance?

I mean, maybe he'd shut that shit down, too. But maybe, just maybe, he'd actually be willing to take it seriously.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would do the same tbh after the dumpster fire that was the Star Wars fandom during the sequel trilogy.

Why do people think the SW fandom is only recently turned to shit? Do you not remember what happened to the Jar Jar and young Anakin actors? The SW fans being notorious shitheads is nothing new what-so-ever.