• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The whole, STEM/DoD partnership angle leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Even without the Pell loan stuff, it reeks of liberal "let's funnel people into tech and defense contracts". There's so much money there for everyone!

More 👏 minority 👏 entrepreneurs 👏 in 👏 the 👏 Military 👏 Industrial 👏 Complex!

If it's economicly good for these communities, they should have at it. Of course, as a staunch anti-imperialist, I can't but sideeye "partnerships" between the education system and the Pentagon.
We need more exploitable code junkies. God forbid liberal arts or the humanites get a bone thrown at them. It's got to be STEM because that's what's "marketable"

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is some disinterested liberal triangulation policy bullshit that's probably good in their marketing department brain, but in reality is going to just piss off people who don't qualify for it for whatever reason.

Just cancel all student debt and be done with the marketization of education.

Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left
YT29PTT.jpg

She has room to evolve on this issue.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We need more exploitable code junkies. God forbid liberal arts or the humanites get a bone thrown at them. It's got to be STEM because that's what's "marketable"
We'll train up minority coders and send them to SV where they can get bunk beds for $1200 a month.
SJM-L-PODSHARE-06081.jpg

They can work themselves to the bone to inflate tech money which is, and will always be, controlled by white America because the cultural and policy decisions that cemented white dominance in tech were made 30-40 years ago and this plan isn't going to suddenly reverse that.

Gotta say there's some cruel irony only a liberal brain is capable of coming up with where the plan to uplift domestic minorities is to beeline them into the MIC where they can produce weapons with which we'll bomb their distant (and sometimes not so distant) cousins in foreign lands across the Atlantic.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand the 20k cap. Ignoring the issues with just starting the business in general, the amount of people that would even qualify for this and see it through to the full 3 years has to be very small. Just forgive all their debt at that point.

I think her intentions are good, but this is not the way to do it.

OP
OP
Luminish

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I don't understand the 20k cap. Ignoring the issues with just starting the business in general, the amount of people that would even qualify for this and see it through to the full 3 years has to be very small. Just forgive all their debt at that point.

I think her intentions are good, but this is not the way to do it.
One big problem with means testing is it can easily shift money more towards those who can work the system than those who are in most need of it. The 20k cap is probably to disincentivise any particularly outragous working of the system.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
One big problem with means testing is it can easily shift money more towards those who can work the system than those who are in most need of it. The 20k cap is probably to disincentivise any particularly outragous working of the system.
I suppose, but the requirements for the program in the first place seem like a disincentive enough.

I think most people getting Pell grants have more than 20k in loans, too.

kittenbreath

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is fantastic

Oddly Specific Kamala Harris Policy Generator

"Yesterday, I announced that, as president, I'll establish a $15.01/hr minimum wage scheme program for Ivy Leaguers who open a dog park that operates for 17 days in the Midwest."

"Yesterday, I announced that, as president, I'll establish a free healthcare program for Mexican-Americans who open a Airbnb that operates for 17 weeks in Trump Tower."

"Yesterday, I announced that, as president, I'll establish a prison reform program for elders who open a theater that operates for 2 months in a purple state."

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is fantastic

"Yesterday, I announced that, as president, I'll establish a $15.01/hr minimum wage scheme program for Ivy Leaguers who open a dog park that operates for 17 days in the Midwest."

"Yesterday, I announced that, as president, I'll establish a free healthcare program for Mexican-Americans who open a Airbnb that operates for 17 weeks in Trump Tower."

"Yesterday, I announced that, as president, I'll establish a prison reform program for elders who open a theater that operates for 2 months in a purple state."
Yesterday, I announced that, as president, I'll establish a charter schools program for Zoomers who open a coal mine that operates for 11 weeks in purple districts.

Yesterday, I announced that, as president, I'll establish a prison abolition program for men who open a park that operates for 7 years in the west coast.

Yesterday, I announced that, as president, I'll establish a charter schools program for underprivileged groups who start a business that operates for 18 weeks in the White House.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
From the Kamala Generator:

Yesterday, I announced that, as president, I'll establish a abstinence only education program for Latinos who open a museum that operates for 8 months in Comet Ping-Pong.

IM DYING LOLOLOL

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That plan sounds like something Olmec would come up with.

"AFTER YOU RECEIVE THE PELL GRANT, YOU MUST FIND THE HIDDEN DOOR THAT OPENS UP THE PATHWAY TO 'STUDENT LOAN DEBT FORGIVENESS', YOU MUST START A BUSINESS IN THE 'DISADVANTAGED COMMUNITY' THAT LASTS FOR 'THREE YEARS'..."

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is fantastic

Yesterday, I announced that, as president, I'll establish a medication cost reduction program for Trump staffers who open a Airbnb that operates for 17 weeks in Comet Ping-Pong.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
WTF is this?

"Yesterday, I announced that, as president, I'll establish a space program for Asian-Americans who open a coal mine that operates for 13 days in Texas "

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Seems like a great way to get fucked into more debt and then have the floor pulled from under you when the program goes bunk.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll establish a green energy program for former military, immigrant, hybrid car owning, pig farmers; over the age of 60; who put exactly 28 wind turbines on their lands in 8 states (tbd); during a window of 2 weeks and 1 day starting on the 18th Wednesday of my presidency.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like something Betsy Devos would propose if she were ever forced to some kind of loan forgiveness program. It's kind of incredible how she's destroyed all the momentum she had from that first debate

Dec 31, 2017
Targeting specific demographics is not the problem here. The main issue is that it's too much risk for minimal reward. Successfully running a business for 3 years for a $20,000 payout, likely in economically disadvantaged areas to boot, is not worth it for many people. If I was in such a position, I'd rather start a business in a prosperous area, where I may very well be able to offset the $20K savings with stronger business overall.

And I'm by no means saying that $20K isn't a significant chunk of money - for many (including me) that would be very helpful. The conditional statements placed on it however are likely not worth it. This will only help people whose original plan was to do this all along, if (and its a big If) their businesses are successful. There is certainly a demographic out there who benefits from this policy; but overall it's a myopic attempt to address a broader issue.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
That plan is stupid. If you went to school to learn how to be something like an x-ray tech or a dental assistant...you basically cant do shit with this.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is fantastic

Holy shit 😂

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like something primed and ready for a whole new level gig economy... But even worse.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Kamala Harris is a terrible politician. This, and other instances regarding her flip-flopping of health insurance policies, confirm to me that she must not be nominated. But neither should Joe Biden or Pete Buttigieg. Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren must be chosen for good policies for all. God, America, please don't nominate a Corporate Democrat.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
This seems like incredibly poor risk/reward.

From what I can find, the average student loan debt seems to be a little north of $37k. Half of small businesses fail in the first five years.

That's a pretty big risk to take to get a bit more than half of the average student debt forgiven. You're basically mega fucked with debt if things don't go well. If anything this looks like a policy that could make the debt crisis for young people worse.

This really seems like a thing you develop to get people to stop bothering you about an issue, and so you can say you have a plan but that won't really ever happen or have any intention of happening.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
That plan sounds like something Olmec would come up with.

"AFTER YOU RECEIVE THE PELL GRANT, YOU MUST FIND THE HIDDEN DOOR THAT OPENS UP THE PATHWAY TO 'STUDENT LOAN DEBT FORGIVENESS', YOU MUST START A BUSINESS IN THE 'DISADVANTAGED COMMUNITY' THAT LASTS FOR 'THREE YEARS'..."

bad analogy

the kids that didn't get olmec's treasure didn't deserve it. they never knew how to assemble the silver monkey and you just shook your head in disgust.

Jun 22, 2019
Yesterday, I announced that, as president, I'll establish a homeschooling program for AI workers who open a Pizza Hut that operates for 11 months in purple districts.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
"Yesterday, I announced that, as president, I'll establish a free speech on twitter program for migrants who open a jail that operates for 7 months in a monastery. "

Lmao at this one, probably the best i've seen

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who's not Warren or Bernie are off in the kids corner foolishly trying to salvage a broken system. It's not the time for quarter measures.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
"Yesterday, I announced that, as president, I'll establish a free speech on twitter program for migrants who open a jail that operates for 7 months in a monastery. "

Lmao at this one, probably the best i've seen

This one gave me a nice chuckle as well:

"Yesterday, I announced that, as president, I'll establish a carbon pricing program for former Biden staffers who open a commune that operates for 10 years in an abandoned building. "

Oct 27, 2017
Don't expect real solutions to the problems facing society from centrists who just want to trim around the edges of the status quo.