• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
I saw this on Friday and after seeing the initial reviews was pretty hyped as it sounded like it was going to be really good. For me anyway I found it average at best. It just didn't click with me and seemed a bit all over the place and defs reminds me of Suicide Squad in that respect. In all honesty I think I actually enjoyed Suicide Squad more. Some of the fight scenes in this were great but then others were just a mess especially the big final battle. I hope they get another crack at it with a sequel to sort things out.

One thing that bugged me and I know it shouldn't but it did was the fact that Margot obviously can't roller skate for shit so those entire bits were very weird when she's supposed to be kicking ass but was very obviously just struggling to stand upright so it needed loads of cuts in the scene. Other than that she was great as Harley in it.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not SUPER worried about box office yet, because you've got Valentine's Day this weekend and this is really just one of a handful of movies that adults can see without kids around. So I would imagine there isn't as much fall off from week to week as there normally would be.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Okay I just got back from seeing Birds of Prey. I have film goers thoughts and comic nitpicky thoughts.​

From the film side, it was really good. I feel like this was the movie Suicide Squad desperately wanted to be.It did a really good job giving Harley Quinn depth.

On the comic nerd side, I really feel like this should've been a Gotham City Sirens movie, not Birds of Prey. I feel like for the tone of movie it was, it would've made more sense to have Poison Ivy and Catwoman in the movie instead of the Birds of Prey. Cassandra Cain in particular was really an "In Name Only" character in her writing. She was basically Holly Robinson from the comics. And it still feels really weird to do a Birds of Prey movie without Barbara Gordon, the actual founder of the team.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Loved it, aesthetics were off the charts. Sad there was no "welcome back to the squad, bitch" post credit scene with The Wall, but that quip was a close second, lol.

I don't get the hate about Cain, I thought she was great. Not familiar with the source, though.

There was one new scene with 'Mista J' when she was tattooing the guy's face. I'll admit I'm a bit sad they didn't get Leto back just to permanently close the book on his character, but ah well.

I loved her random psychiatric bits. Yep, she's still a doc.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
The introduction overstayed its welcome, but once the dynamics between the various characters formed that's when the movie really took shape.

I'm scared we wont get anymore Harley Quinn movies :/

Oh, we will. I just don't think we'll be seeing Cathy Yan be involved in DC Entertainment movies anymore which I think is an even graver sin.

Dec 6, 2018
I watched it yesterday and had a fun time. Action scenes and humor were definitely the high points imo. Harley storming the police station with the canister gun was beautiful to watch.

Narratively...eh. I felt like the only developed characters were Harley and Black Canary and maybe Cassandra Cain. I actually kind of like I think Montoya being a bit older but she seemed like a caricature of a cop, which I guess they were going for. Huntress though I honestly don't think had to be in this film. Her story just barely connected enough to the plot to be relevant. And it felt like they almost acknowledged it too, with Harley's saying that they all were Black Mask's targets at the end when really they weren't? I mean Harley and Cassandra sure, but I don't think anyone knows Montoya or Huntress exist and Black Canary could have just said Harley/the Crossbow Killer killed Zsaz. I don't like to nitpick too much especially since it was supposed to be an "all in this together" moment but it was flatly wrong.

Kinda wish they just didn't include Huntress in this movie and give more time to develop Montoya. Also, I didn't watch Suicide Squad so maybe it was there too, but I could have done with 1 or 2 less 4th wall/meta/crazy moments. The narration, flashbacks, overlays were a lot but fun, but I'm not really a fan of talking directly to the camera.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking they didnt show Joker because the DCEU is recasting Batman, Superman and Joker in Flashpoint?

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
Absolutely enjoyed the movie and the theatre I saw it with had a blast. Two older women actually came to see it which surprised me at first (despite me also being there with my mom) but they seemed to really enjoy it too.

I found Suicide Squad silly but enjoyable but enjoyed it more than some other DC films at the time (obviously liked WW way more than that tho xD), but Birds of Prey was a vast improvement and had a lot of great lines that still make me giggle.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Saw it yesterday, thought it was a very 'meh' experience. I was hoping for this crazy ride, but it all felt so... run of the mill. And that's like the worst possible thing for a movie with these characters. I love Margot Robbie as Harley, but she seriously needs better material to work with. It's a bit similar to how I feel about Henry Cavill as Superman: Both perfectly cast, but they're being wasted.

Also really disliked the audio mix. For example, I really like that Experiment On Me song by Halsey, but the way they use it in the film is just... bad. I just wonder how these scenes were made. 'So let's just implement another fight scene here and start a cool song'. Yeah, that doesn't work, it doesn't flow well. It's all just thrown together without much thought.

Also, the movie felt low-buget as hell. A perfect example is Bruce (the Hyena), you introduce him early in the film, make it seem like he dies in the middle and then in the last minute of the film you casually tell audiences that he's alive and well? That was just very blatantly telling the audience that they didn't have the budget to animate him.

It all just felt like such a waste, it's sad.

Strax

Oct 28, 2017
I couldn't stand Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Rosie Perez in this movie. Every time they were on screen I cringed at the acting, Everything else was decent to good.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am surprised how much of a dud this movie was. It's not astoundingly bad, but just a muddled sort of mediocre mess. I was looking forward to Ewan McGregor a lot, but even his performance was only fair.

How does Huntress know to show up at the Booby Trap? Seems like the character just appears whenever the writers want her to, regardless of whether or not it makes sense.

Why is there the scene of the Black Mask making that woman dance on a table and have her dress ripped off? It just seemed unnecessary.....by this point it's already established that he is an unhinged psychopath.

Wait.....Black Canary has super-powers? It feels like this is meant to be a huge reveal, but it plays as more of a "What The Fuck?" moment. Is there some reason she wasn't using her powers before?

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
How does Huntress know to show up at the Booby Trap? Seems like the character just appears whenever the writers want her to, regardless of whether or not it makes sense.

She asked Doc where to find Zsaz. She started at the club and then tailed them after that.

Wait.....Black Canary has super-powers? It feels like this is meant to be a huge reveal, but it plays as more of a "What The Fuck?" moment. Is there some reason she wasn't using her powers before?

It was implied in her introduction scene with the breaking glass. When Montoya was talking to her about her mother, it makes it seem like she blames her mother's need to do good (with the same power) for her death.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was implied in her introduction scene with the breaking glass. When Montoya was talking to her about her mother, it makes it seem like she blames her mother's need to do good (with the same power) for her death.
That seems like not a great reason to avoid using your powers when you're barely armed and outnumbered against dozens of guys. In a movie that seems generally pretty detached from the world of super-humans, it is especially weird to have her whip that ability out of her pocket at the very last minute......especially since it's not a particularly interesting or impressive setpiece, or a moment of catharsis for the character.

Harley goes into pretty excruciating exposition/background detail on almost every character, and for some reason Black Canary is not given the same treatment. Which is weird since I'd rather hear about her superpowers and crimefighting mother than I would hear about the inter-office politics of the Gotham City Police Department.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
That seems like not a great reason to avoid using your powers when you're barely armed and outnumbered against dozens of guys. In a movie that seems generally pretty detached from the world of super-humans, it is especially weird to have her whip that ability out of her pocket at the very last minute......especially since it's not a particularly interesting or impressive setpiece, or a moment of catharsis for the character.

Harley goes into pretty excruciating exposition/background detail on almost every character, and for some reason Black Canary is not given the same treatment. Which is weird since I'd rather hear about her superpowers and crimefighting mother than I would hear about the inter-office politics of the Gotham City Police Department.
Harley did say she had "a killer voice".

The circumstances also weren't good for it. Doesn't seem like it would be good in close quarters to your allies, and she passed out from using it.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
Just came back from seeing it. The actions scenes were the best thing in the movie sadly it's not as funny or crazy as it thinks it is. I like it tho.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I couldn't enjoy this movie. Don't want to sound like an asshole but external factors totally ruined the whole thing for me: Girls who wouldn't stop taking out their phones every few minutes on my left and a boy behind me who kept making loud noises, repeating lines, talking loudly to who I assume was his mom and talking about his observations loudly as well, shit was annoying as hell but, for reasons I'm sure you'll figure out, I didn't say anything because otherwise I would've been the asshole. What a shame because I know there was a good movie there, but I just couldn't enjoy it.

Jan 10, 2018
Enjoyed it a whole lot, so I just gonna name my nitpicks:

1. That Kesha song. I actually love that song, but the choice felt so uninspired.

2. Another song nitpick. A Mans world. I loved the whole badass women against shitty mysoginists theme of the movie, but man that scene was on the nose. Don't pick the most obvious song imaginable.

3. A bit less flashbacks. You are in the final showdown of the movie, we all know the drill, we all know the characters, why the fuck that revenge flashback. Just let her fucking say it.

4. Harley had no business doing these stunts after getting hit by that car.

And the biggest one:

How the fuck do you not get a better trailer out of this fucking fun movie?

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this thing on a whim. I was very entertained, but also very uncomfortable. I was expecting Mahvel and got a whole lot more than I bargained for. I did not see Suicide Squad.

-Harley Quinn is apparently the Terminator. I mean, shit.
-Everyone's legs are toothpicks. There are so many snapped legs. Fuck.
-4 of the mains get great moments with each other that build up their characters nicely. The Crossbow Killer gets some fun but rushed moments by herself, shows up, and then was about to leave. lmao.
-What a world. At least the one guy made Harley some nice post hangover breakfast.

3. A bit less flashbacks. You are in the final showdown of the movie, we all know the drill, we all know the characters, why the fuck that revenge flashback. Just let her fucking say it.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.
I don't. Comic books are dumb.
It was to set up a joke. I liked that joke, I guess it was for scrubs who think comic books are dumb.

OP
OP
Naijaboy

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Hats off to the editors who had to reshoot everything. They did a fine job with it. As for the reworks in characters, I didn't mind it, especially since the characters we got were pretty endearing.

Also, that grenade kill was brutal. If you're going out R rated style, might as well go full gore on it.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I had an absolute blast with this movie. They really did something unique with Black Mask. That scene with the dress? Chills

Oct 29, 2017
Idk why, but Ewan McGregor shouting "you fuckin MORON" has me almost crying from laughing. He was so great in this.

I didnt expect this movie to be so damn fun and stylish. Probably gonna end up in my top 10 comic book movies if it holds up on a rewatch :D