• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best Episode in the First Half of Season 3?

• Harlivy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There's No Ivy In Team

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The 83rd Annual Villy Awards

Votes: 39 78.0%
  • A Thief, A Mole, An Orgy

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • It's A Swamp Thing

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Not gonna lie, this season is off to a worrisome start. Episode 3 is the only one with genuinely good character moments that feel earned and isn't overstuffed. Episode 2 was a mess scriptwise and the animation had several very rough cuts. Episode 1 wasn't the victory lap I hoped for with a script that beats you over the head. No good romantic moments to be found there. If it weren't for episode 3, I would be terribly worried about the rest. The season opening gag was pretty good.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yup, this show didn't skip a beat. Although I'm pretty sure Bruce legally adopted Dick later in life. Bruce just didn't do so initially out of respect for the memory of Dick's parents.

Also, I'm guessing Golden Glider will be in the Kite Man spin-off. But I'm glad things got smoothed over between him, Ivy, & Harley. And hey, Kite Man deserves to be happy. He's a good dude.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I'm only a couple episodes in, and is it just me or does the framerate tank on some scenes? Not sure if it's a connection issue or the player (HBO's always seemed a bit sketchy to me) if the show just doesn't have those frames, but there are times when it just looks terrible.

Oh, and I forgot that HBO does weekly releases. I thought I was gonna get to watch it at my own pace.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Something I noticed is that since Cathy Ang is of Chinese-Filipino descent, they seemingly changed Golden Glider to match the ethnicity of her VA. They did the same thing for Catwoman & Lex Luthor, and I have zero complaints about any of them.

Though in the case of Selina, S03E03 is the first time they acknowledged her as being Black in this universe.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I'm guessing Golden Glider will be in the Kite Man spin-off. But I'm glad things got smoothed over between him, Ivy, & Harley. And hey, Kite Man deserves to be happy. He's a good dude.
This makes me so happy to read. I was afraid he would become a vindictive or dejected ex, so glad to hear that isn't the case.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This makes me so happy to read. I was afraid he would become a vindictive or dejected ex, so glad to hear that isn't the case.
It really shows how great of a guy Kite Man is, especially considering how he always goes the extra mile for his significant other (Ex: Changing the chili recipe to accommodate his partner).

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking on it more, an issue I have with the first episode is Harley being flanderized. That and a lack of any well earned romantic moments.
I'm only a couple episodes in, and is it just me or does the framerate tank on some scenes? Not sure if it's a connection issue or the player (HBO's always seemed a bit sketchy to me) if the show just doesn't have those frames, but there are times when it just looks terrible.

Oh, and I forgot that HBO does weekly releases. I thought I was gonna get to watch it at my own pace.
This season has some of the roughest animation of the series. The show being in purgatory for a bit and then the pandemic didn't help.

Last edited:

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, was not really feeling the first episode as much as I thought I would (maybe because it was a lot of set-up), but then 2 and 3 went back in stride for me.

I really hope Bane gets his therapy...that Pasta maker is gone, buddy.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the episodes were really good.

Something I noticed is that since Cathy Ang is of Chinese-Filipino descent, they seemingly changed Golden Glider to match the ethnicity of her VA. They did the same thing for Catwoman & Lex Luthor, and I have zero complaints about any of them.

Though in the case of Selina, S03E03 is the first time they acknowledged her as being Black in this universe.

Since Golden Gilder is Chinese-Filipino, that means her brother Captain Cold should also be Chinese-Filipino in the show's universe. Captain Cold has only made non-speaking cameos up until this point.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Not gonna lie, was not really feeling the first episode as much as I thought I would (maybe because it was a lot of set-up), but then 2 and 3 went back in stride for me.

I really hope Bane gets his therapy...that Pasta maker is gone, buddy.

Kind of how I felt

But episode 3 is just the show firing on all cylinders

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Since Golden Gilder is Chinese-Filipino, that means her brother Captain Cold should also be Chinese-Filipino in the show's universe. Captain Cold has only made non-speaking cameos up until this point.
Hopefully they double down on that, it's not like we've seen much of Leonard anyway.

Speaking of, I'm guessing Nightwing is now half Mexican (to match with Harvey Guillén) & half Romani (since that's the case in the comics).

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
There were so many great little nuggets in the episodes, even joked about the Batman/Catwoman discourse.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Marathoned all three episodes earlier today and had a blast with them. Kinda want to do a rewatch of the older episodes, it's been so long that there's some stuff I forgot.

Macaroni spin off when?

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really love Batman's reaction to yet ANOTHER movie featuring the death of his parents, the whole concept of everyone in an escape room was great.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The first episode was decent but as mentioned earlier the romantic moments didn't pack much of a punch as they weren't earned. But by episode 3 the writing was back in its stride. Episode 3 is easily my favorite, Selina calling out the academy on their shit had me howling.

Glad to see Kite Man doing well for himself. Him and Golden Glider look super cute together!

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
The show's writing and dialogue have not missed a beat.

Still love the characterizations of the Bat Family and now Nightwing lol.

This Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy are so good that in my mind these characterizations are canonized now.

Kite Man still GOATed.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't feeling episode 1 but the eps got progressively better! I continue to love Bane in this lol.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Did they have Harley kick
the Queen[ of England our of a plane?

Great first episodel I guess
Dr. Psycho
will show up at some point.

Oct 25, 2017
All good so far! Love that The Macaroni is still around.

But the iPad app not letting you turn off autoplay is absurd. What's more absurd is that when you;re on the last episode, it automatically starts playing the same episode over again which a) I can't imagine anyone actually wants and b) screws you up when the new episode drops and it thinks you're on the previous one still. Drives me up the wall.

Aug 7, 2019
3 episodes, and 3 wheel spins of Harlivy problems already told before

Riddler and Clock Face deserved that best couple award

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I really, really did not like the first episode. Harley was practically intolerable for the whole episode.

Episodes 2 and 3 were markedly better, and I really liked episode 3 in particular. A little positivity goes a long fucking way.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I really, really did not like the first episode. Harley was practically intolerable for the whole episode.

Episodes 2 and 3 were markedly better, and I really liked episode 3 in particular. A little positivity goes a long fucking way.
SMAjwPa.gif

They couldn't decide if Harley was to be very codependent/clingy or extremely ADHD/impulsive, so they picked both.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah first episode was pretty bad and annoying. Will watch the other two later hopefully they're better

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I don't necessarily think episode 1 & 2 were bad, but episode 3 for sure was the best of the bunch. I felt noticably different watching that episode than 1 & 2.

I will say I'm not a huge fan of how they're handling Dick in this episode. I mean, obviously they're going to modify certain characters to parody them, but something felt off. Like it wasn't Dick.

Like I have no problem with them making fun of him. By all means. But I feel like with some of the other heroes you could make jokes at them, but still feel like their character. Nightwing just feels more to me like they needed a certain character in the bat family for S3, and just decided to name him Nightwing.

Granted, maybe my mood at the time was making me more harsh towards him than I should have. We'll see how he is in future episodes.

OP
OP
lojo

lojo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't necessarily think episode 1 & 2 were bad, but episode 3 for sure was the best of the bunch. I felt noticably different watching that episode than 1 & 2.

I will say I'm not a huge fan of how they're handling Dick in this episode. I mean, obviously they're going to modify certain characters to parody them, but something felt off. Like it wasn't Dick.

Like I have no problem with them making fun of him. By all means. But I feel like with some of the other heroes you could make jokes at them, but still feel like their character. Nightwing just feels more to me like they needed a certain character in the bat family for S3, and just decided to name him Nightwing.

Granted, maybe my mood at the time was making me more harsh towards him than I should have. We'll see how he is in future episodes.

It felt like they were doing a parody of the Titans version of Dick Grayson. I could be wrong since I haven't watched Titans, but that's what I got from that "Fuck the Macaroni" line.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I'm just so delighted that
Riddler is gay

That was a nice surprise