• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
The reason was Green Arrow immediately kidnapped her and hid her in his cave so Superman wouldn't find her. It was pretty great.
tumblr_mi6e4intL81s198vzo1_1280.jpg

... Supe's wasn't very understanding of Oliver's decision to save her.

Yeah I remember that. Injustice is so dumb. Like that was fine and in character for Ollie. But then the lengths that had to go through to make Superman that evil and then Harley taking the high ground at points was laughable. Superman wanting to laser her head off was pretty reasonable in a sea of him being evil.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I remember that. Injustice is so dumb. Like that was fine and in character for Ollie. But then the lengths that had to go through to make Superman that evil and then Harley taking the high ground at points was laughable. Superman wanting to laser her head off was pretty reasonable in a sea of him being evil.
Eh, I loved Injustice (still do). Superman killing Joker after he tricked him into killing his wife and unborn child, shooting Jimmy, and nuking Metropolis was 100% justifiable as a way to break the boy scout. And Superman wasn't all-in dictator for a very long time in the comics; it was months of similar things that frustrated him, warped his worldview, and ultimately turned him into a villain.

Meanwhile, Harley no longer had the Joker and without him her mental health rapidly got better. She spent a lot of her early time as still very much a villain, but one that was growing more sane and aware of the harm she had caused and the guilt associated with it. As Barbs put it, she was a victim of the Joker as much as she was, only the damage done was psychological instead of physical. That's what I really liked as she became more heroic, paralleling her rise with Superman's fall. It's not abrupt, but it's great to see a version of Harley that comes to terms with her past, acknowledges she did a lot of harm, and finds people to fight for and a family to prove herself to.

It's also why when "good" Superman saves the day, her redemption is something he's genuinely happy for.
a25d76909d27d993a352d033364a2cde.jpg

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
If anyone was written unfairly in Injustice, it was Wonder Woman. As much as I love the games, it's such a shame that the only option to play WW after her fantastic movie came out is as an evil Diana.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Hellblazer is back, written by Si Spurrier and under black label.

It's really good, harkening back to the Ennis/Delano era

And it did the one thing I said they had to do to win me back.

Bring back old man John in that corny hat and have him start scheming.

Now if they bring back Epiphany, I'll be golden.

Nov 13, 2017
If anyone was written unfairly in Injustice, it was Wonder Woman. As much as I love the games, it's such a shame that the only option to play WW after her fantastic movie came out is as an evil Diana.
Agreed. She's insufferable in Injustice.

I would rather Injustice 3 be a reboot called Justice where all the characters are alive again and back to their normal selves. Also, more movie costumes. Jurnee as Black Canary is my new religion.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
The reason was Green Arrow immediately kidnapped her and hid her in his cave so Superman wouldn't find her. It was pretty great.
tumblr_mi6e4intL81s198vzo1_1280.jpg

... Supe's wasn't very understanding of Oliver's decision to save her.
ngl i reesent how easily she let off the hook in injusticee
she was complicit in the joker's evil
it was bullshit

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
Eh, I loved Injustice (still do). Superman killing Joker after he tricked him into killing his wife and unborn child, shooting Jimmy, and nuking Metropolis was 100% justifiable as a way to break the boy scout. And Superman wasn't all-in dictator for a very long time in the comics; it was months of similar things that frustrated him, warped his worldview, and ultimately turned him into a villain.

Meanwhile, Harley no longer had the Joker and without him her mental health rapidly got better. She spent a lot of her early time as still very much a villain, but one that was growing more sane and aware of the harm she had caused and the guilt associated with it. As Barbs put it, she was a victim of the Joker as much as she was, only the damage done was psychological instead of physical. That's what I really liked as she became more heroic, paralleling her rise with Superman's fall. It's not abrupt, but it's great to see a version of Harley that comes to terms with her past, acknowledges she did a lot of harm, and finds people to fight for and a family to prove herself to.

It's also why when "good" Superman saves the day, her redemption is something he's genuinely happy for.
a25d76909d27d993a352d033364a2cde.jpg

nah fuck that , she was rolling with jokeer when he tricked superman into deestoring his city and killing his wife
she knew he was a fucking nut and rode with him, actions have consequences
and it drove me craxy how gl, bats and some other leeaguers were terrible friends to supes in his time of neeed

That Dude John

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
It think for me it was that while all the other characters come off as reacting to the extreme scenario they are in, WW seems like the only character that for some reason was expecting the whole superhero/supervillain status quo to fail. Like she was too ready for things to go south. But maybe that's comics WE as I have no idea.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Theory:

I have never read anything about Booster Gold. Not even his Wiki. The only reason I know his name is because his image is so jarring the same thought goes through my head, unbidden, every time I see it:

Booster Gold looks like a douchecheese - being a douchecheese and anachronistic and out of place cheeselord is his entire deal besides what are probably potent powers. He is possibly so cheeselord as yo inspire a weird blend of mirth and sympathy. Like when Chet becomes a turd, or RDJ and his frat brother in Weird Science.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
It think for me it was that while all the other characters come off as reacting to the extreme scenario they are in, WW seems like the only character that for some reason was expecting the whole superhero/supervillain status quo to fail. Like she was too ready for things to go south. But maybe that's comics WE as I have no idea.
She has a different origin story in injustice
Trevor was a nazi spy and the Amazons in general were more aggresive
She wasn't the same Diana

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Rhino joined the Avengers?

latest

That universe was a hellscape ruled by a technorganic lovecraftian nazi

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
yW8HAVEl.jpg

I'm late to the party but here's my contribution!

Edit: Personally I find it weird that DC has been pushing Harley so much given all the bad stuff she's done. I get that she's marketable now, but this just feels wrong.
The others are bad art, in that panel Peter just drunk fermented alien pregnant horse breastmilk.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
It's like you guys have never seen art by Kevin Maguire before. Which is insane, because that also means you've never read one of the best iterations of the Justice League.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
ngl i reesent how easily she let off the hook in injusticee
she was complicit in the joker's evil
it was bullshit
nah fuck that , she was rolling with jokeer when he tricked superman into deestoring his city and killing his wife
she knew he was a fucking nut and rode with him, actions have consequences
and it drove me craxy how gl, bats and some other leeaguers were terrible friends to supes in his time of neeed
It's a bit more nuanced that that.

On one hand, yeah, Superman didn't get the comfort and support he needed from his friends, but there was a variety of reasons for that. For starters, Bruce TRIED to reach out and be there, but given the events that happened, Clark put much of the blame for the deaths on Bruce for not killing the Joker himself years ago.
QV5CrJPLziqL1QGYNwSw9H_MbLW6Ye1xb3vjkiowvmM.jpg

Plenty of other heroes were also shaken by the deaths and it made many of them fearful of a similar incident (very much reflective of post-9/11 where otherwise good people began trading freedom for security). You had heroes like Flash realizing his family was just as much at risk and trying to talk Clark into a more "middle" solution, but piece by piece Clark became slowly more authoritarian as the grief lingered. Wonder Woman is, yeah, one of the weaker "falls", but even that is explained by her literally trying to heal his sorrow by telling him she'll literally be anything he needs her to be because she's always viewed him as the greatest, most noble man she knew... which only enables his actions instead.

This was compounded by heroes like Green Arrow "backstabbing him" by hiding Harley from his wrath, and the other heroes that supported Oliver's decision. And ultimately, that's the thing. Everyone remembers "evil Superman", but this division of trust and split within the hero community - plagued by fears and insecurities - just broke EVERYONE, not just Supes. Hal, Barry, Bruce, Arthur, Diana... everyone was a mess.

Which is why Harley's situation is not so black-and-white. For starters, she wasn't really let off the hook. If Superman wasn't openly admitting he would murder her if he could find her, she'd be in criminal rehabilitation and serve her time, but the situation made that impossible. Her arrest would just be a death sentence when the courts would no doubt rule as not-guilty for reasons of valid insanity and then Superman would find and kill her. For the entire Injustice comic, she's never given a pardon; she's an outlaw to the Regime and a fugitive from the law. The majority of the superhero community did not forgive her and almost all of them on Superman's side want her dead for her role.

But the comic does explain why she deserves a second chance. She was legitimately delusional, and saw the events of the death and bombings from a sense of detached reality. She literally wasn't grasping the consequences of her actions and as she recovers - and starts taking her medications again - she becomes horrified of the truth.
nFMPzrR.jpg

Reality took the place of her mental fantasy. Under the care of heroes who kept her safe, without the Joker's influence, back on her medication, she became SANE again. And with that sanity she bonded with the heroes she once gleefully fought against and felt the responsibility to atone. One of the scenes I really liked was one of the villains saying the safe thing would be to do fall back in line with them, know that she'll never be forgiven. They even put a bomb in her head to blackmail her into helping commit another terrorist act against the Regime that will hurt a lot of civilians. "You don't really have a choice."

She refuses. "I have a choice."

She's not universally accepted, but she's actively working towards recovery. She backslides, has setbacks, but she's moving forward. That's what I like about her journey in the Injustice comic.

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
She has a different origin story in injustice
Trevor was a nazi spy and the Amazons in general were more aggresive
She wasn't the same Diana

I don't remember this from the comic at all (or was this in the videogame?) It kind of makes this whole "this could have been your world if XYZ happened" moot if there are just like wholesale changes made to the characters separate from the major diverting event. From a marketing standpoint, having an evil wonder woman, an evil Aquaman, and a nonexistent Shazam (in the second game) kinda sucked.

I do like how they portrayed Harley, but again the question is... did Bendis or someone else show her being welcomed into the superhero community because of some event where she did a lot of good or something? I know she was around during that horrid event where they dragged Wally through the mud. It's one thing to team up with a super villain temporarily, it's another to invite them to Superman's identity party.

On a side note, is that yet another Hawkman or did they do something to "fix" him after Metal?