• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
That's your interpretation of their words. Another one is "stop ignoring RTX altogether and we'll send you h/w for reviews again". These two are significantly different, don't you think?
There is a lot of reviewers who aren't "positive" about RTX but they at least provide data to the viewers instead of dismissing it as "irrelevant" and completely ignoring it - and NV doesn't have issues with them.
So which of these two interpretations is the correct one here? I tend to think that its the second one as I've seen HWUs reviews and the only glaring difference with other reviews out there is the lack of data on RTX features and performance, not "being negative" about it. Many reviewers are negative about RTX features.

But they don't ignore RTX. Never have, in fact just today there is a RTX + DLSS review with Cyberpunk, which means only Nvidia cards. They just, in their rightful opinion, say that RT is still not more important than overall performance.

Nvidia with their wording is actually trying to editorialize that opinion. That's the problem here

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
HU have made entire videos dedicated to RTX and DLSS. Saying they have been ignoring what's unique with Nvidia cards is an outright lie.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Steve said that SAM is more exciting than RT in his 6800XT p/review.
They've said that Ampere RT isn't improved compared to Turing which is a pure lie.
They've said that Ampere has issues with scaling across resolutions while it's actually the opposite.
Should I go on? Their handling of this year GPU launches were pretty bad overall.
1. Subjective opinion, not a fact. Just because you do not share it does not mean it's wrong. SAM is indeed some very exciting tech that has remained exclusive to consoles for years.

2. You are misconstruing what they said. From the 3080 review: "[...] enabling RTX [on the 3080] did reduce FPS by 41%, which is very reasonable performance at 4K but also a massive FPS drop. For comparison, the RTX 2080Ti saw a 49% drop so not a huge difference there in the margin. The same is also true when using DLSS..."
He did NOT say RTX performance is the same, he said the raw computational COST of RTX is SIMILAR.

3. What they have said is that Ampere does not see the same jump in performance in lower resolutions as it does in 4K, the latter of which has a higher performance margin compared to Turing. They are not the first to say this, and they have charts proving their point. They even mention that it varies by game.

Last edited:

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
2. You are misconstruing what they said. From the 3080 review: "[...] enabling RTX [on the 3080] did reduce FPS by 41%, which is very reasonable performance at 4K but also a massive FPS drop. For comparison, the RTX 2080Ti saw a 49% drop so not a huge difference there in the margin. The same is also true when using DLSS..."
He did NOT say RTX performance is the same, he said the raw computational COST of RTX is SIMILAR.

3. What they have said is that Ampere does not see the same jump in performance in lower resolutions as it does in 4K, the latter of which has a higher performance margin compared to Turing. They are not the first to say this, and they have charts proving their point. They even mention that it varies by game.

isn't that leaving out context that the equivalent of 2080 Ti line in the 30xx series is the 3090?

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
isn't that leaving out context that the equivalent of 2080 Ti line in the 30xx series is the 3090?
Theoretically, yes but not in practice. All of NVIDIA's material was comparing their cards to the 2080Ti and therefore to verify NVIDIA's claims reviewers had to use that as their baseline. Blame NVIDIA for setting that as the standard, not reviewers wanting to verify what the company is peddling. Both are halo products, though the 3090 comes also at a higher MSRP than the 2080Ti, though you could argue that the 3080 is lower in price than the 2080Ti but that is the point of a new gen of cards. Release lower priced chips at a higher performance than the previous flagship/halo product.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hardware Unboxed will be fine. NVIDIA is banning them from receiving Founder's Edition GPUs, directly from them. It's a dick move, no doubt about that. However, this does not mean that HU won't have access to any NVIDIA GPUs. HU has been reviewing a lot of AIB GPUs (even for the RTX 30 series for which most consumers still can't get their hands on) so basically, they will have access to all future NVIDIA GPUs from the AIBs. Business-wise, this won't affect them at all.
Not necessarily the case.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
JayzTwoCents put a video about it by the way:

Yeah, the tone of the letter itself is actually really fucked up.
Like, they could have established some dialog and squashed whatever editorial beef they had, but to fill the correspondence with a bunch of marketing jargon and attempt to personally alienate Steve by questioning his credentials is beyond the fucking pale.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
1. Subjective opinion, not a fact. Just because you do not share it does not mean it's wrong. SAM is indeed some very exciting tech that has remained exclusive to consoles for years.

Is this the issue you're referring to in 3?

www.techspot.com

Nvidia RTX 3080 Gaming Performance at 1440p: CPU or Architecture Bottleneck?

It's time we get to explore something we've been eager to investigate since our day-one GeForce RTX 3080 review, and that's the weaker-than-expected resolution scaling of the...

Ignore the link name, it's talking about the 3080. I didn't realize that these were the Techspot guys. Their arguments seem sound and supported by good data. So the attacks against HWU in this thread seem even more sus.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Yes, I am. Yes, I did. The email is clear: they won't be providing review samples due to HWU's editorial stance. If it will change they'll look into it again. I don't see any "pressure" here. Nobody is forcing
You do understand pressure and force don't mean the same thing right?

I really don't think you fully understand what pressuring means. If I use peer pressure to get you to do something I want that by definition means I'm not literally forcing you.

Even if you think the amount of pressure in the letter is ok and justified It is literally the definition of pressuring someone

Pressure
2. The use of persuasion, influence, or intimidation to make someone do something.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
People calling Hardware Unboxed AMD fanboys because they dont spend all their time shitting on AMD is wild. People really need to take a step back and look at what practices they are endorsing. I think the 30 series are incredible cards and 3060ti is the best price to performance card you could buy but Nvidia is coming off as extremely arrogant. If Hardware Unboxed was so AMD biased they would have jumped all over Nvidia about the 30 series cards crashing but they didnt. They wouldn't have done a dedicated video comparing the RT and DLSS performance of 30 series. They wouldn't spend so much time shitting on AMD cards and their poor driver support.

I dont think it's a coincidence that Nvidia is trying to crack down on how people cover their products the second AMD remotely has something competitive.

Also if they are willing to do this to Hardware Unboxed imagine what they are willing to do to smaller channels that arent able to buy cards or dont have connections to get AIB cards to cover.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
The NV bias on Era has always been quite strong but damn some of you have really drank the kool aid, Jesus. Seriously, I don't know why this isn't being moderated, NV vs. AMD is a hell of a lot worse around here than PS5 vs Xbox.

Nvidia is being a cunt here, no two ways around it. They've always been cunts (remember PhysX? remember GPP?), but excusing this kind of behaviour under the guise of "oh well they should just buy their own samples then" is just pure naiveté and ignorance only to defend a scummy billion dollar corporation. Sure, HWU (or any other outlet for that matter) could just get their hands on a sample just like us common folk, but by the time they get one and publish their review they may as well try getting a 4080.
Gamers fucking suck, and launch day reviews are the bread and butter for most these channels, as gamers only care about that, let's face it. This is the tech equivalent of going "Oh you don't a press pass? Sucks to be you, I'm sure you can figure something out :)"

No "pressure" tho, it's all cool lads, carry on. Or do we need to define what pressure means first?

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Is this the issue you're referring to in 3?

www.techspot.com

Nvidia RTX 3080 Gaming Performance at 1440p: CPU or Architecture Bottleneck?

It's time we get to explore something we've been eager to investigate since our day-one GeForce RTX 3080 review, and that's the weaker-than-expected resolution scaling of the...

Ignore the link name, it's talking about the 3080. I didn't realize that these were the Techspot guys. Their arguments seem sound and supported by good data. So the attacks against HWU in this thread seem even more sus.

Yeah, they also write for Techspot on occasion, but as you yourself mentioned their conclusions are backed up by solid data. Again, they did not say performance is bad in lower resolutions, they said the margins in performance with Turing are lower in 1440p than 4K.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
People calling Hardware Unboxed AMD fanboys because they dont spend all their time shitting on AMD is wild. People really need to take a step back and look at what practices they are endorsing. I think the 30 series are incredible cards and 3060ti is the best price to performance card you could buy but Nvidia is coming off as extremely arrogant. If Hardware Unboxed was so AMD biased they would have jumped all over Nvidia about the 30 series cards crashing but they didnt. They wouldn't have done a dedicated video comparing the RT and DLSS performance of 30 series. They wouldn't spend so much time shitting on AMD cards and their poor driver support.

I dont think it's a coincidence that Nvidia is trying to crack down on how people cover their products the second AMD remotely has something competitive.

Also if they are willing to do this to Hardware Unboxed imagine what they are willing to do to smaller channels that arent able to buy cards or dont have connections to get AIB cards to cover.

They are AMD biased if you look at their past videos with clickbaity stuff like DLSS is dead and often talking about AMD more favorable compared to Intel or Nvidia. It's not some straightforward shilling but the way they present things. If it's AMD raytracing performance is not a big deal when it's in few games, but if it's Nvidia they are clearly losing and in trouble if their card in the same price range is marginally slower than AMD's offering. I find that the guy currently sporting a mustache who did the latest DLSS video is generally more objective than the other dude.

That said Nvidia's email is a real pile of horseshit and they should not be trying to influence reviewers.

Oct 28, 2017
Nvidia has always been shitty and this is just another bullet point however since I have to buy them because of Cuda for ML and there is no alternative it sadly doesn't matter what I think of this shit.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
But they don't ignore RTX. Never have, in fact just today there is a RTX + DLSS review with Cyberpunk, which means only Nvidia cards. They just, in their rightful opinion, say that RT is still not more important than overall performance.
They either don't include it in their benchmarks at all or include just a couple of games out of 30 or so released thus far. And while they do benchmark these three games they are constantly saying how it doesn't worth it in their opinion. This looks like ignoring it to me.
Them ignoring Cyberpunk would be quite a feat for sure. Thankfully they know how to do business and thus it didn't happen.

Nvidia with their wording is actually trying to editorialize that opinion. That's the problem here
So how is it going so far? Have they already changed their opinion now as they don't have review samples from NV anymore?
And what is the problem exactly? Them not getting reference review samples means that their reviews will come out later than from those who will. That's a loss for both them and Nv.
I think that both parties are at fault for this situation but if someone wants to get mad at one commercial company cutting ties with another commercial company then it's their right of course.

When you review products you don't really have a luxury of saying "subjective opinions" unless you are showing data which back them up at least somehow.
SAM hasn't been exclusive to consoles at all btw, not sure where you get that.

I'm not "misconstructing" anything.
https://www.techspot.com/article/2109-nvidia-rtx-3080-ray-tracing-dlss/ said:
Our tests also show that ray tracing acceleration in the RTX 3080 isn't overly better than the 2080 Ti's, with less than a 10% speed up to RT acceleration separating the two. In a best-case scenario like Wolfenstein: Youngblood at 4K which received an Ampere-specific patch to improve performance, the RTX 3080 is 25% better at ray tracing acceleration. Ideally, we'd need to see a 50% or even 100% improvement to RT acceleration before the RTX on and off gap feels more acceptable with today's effects.

Because Ampere is only a minor improvement over Turing for acceleration, there's still question marks over whether this card will be sufficient for the next few years of ray tracing. Most of today's games use only one or two effects, and use them sparingly. If games start going all out on ray tracing effects – like what we see with Fortnite – the gap between RTX on and off will grow substantially. More acceleration with more powerful RT cores will be required to keep up. Of course, this is all speculation about the future, so we'll have to see what happens with the next few years of games.
This is a number of false claims based on the lack of understanding of how RT functions in modern GPUs.
And in retrospect them saying this about Ampere has collided nicely with them saying how RDNA2 RT will get better once s/w will be optimized for it.

a) When a card gives better results in higher resolutions it means _better_ scaling with resolutions, not worse.
b) What Ampere shows in lower resolutions is totally dependent on the benchmarking suite which is used. Them using about 1/3 to 1/2 of heavily AMD optimized games mean that all NV h/w hits CPU/system limitations way sooner than they should. This will lead to worse results in lower resolutions. Lower resolutions are always mostly CPU and platform bound, and this is where you should look for the reason, not in "FP32" like they did.
c) Their reasoning on why this is the case was mostly "it's something with the Ampere architecture" and "double FP32 helps in higher resolutions" while the actual two reasons are their benchmarking suite and Ampere's advantage in raw memory bandwidth allowing it to scale better in higher resolutions.
So that was handled pretty badly by them overall, leading to people on the net saying how Ampere have issues with scaling.

I really don't think you fully understand what pressuring means.
I fully understand that pressuring means. And as I've said multiple times already I fully agree that the way NV handled this was stupid and unacceptable. But mostly because in contrast to what you suggest I don't see how this will pressure HWU into anything at all. The result will likely be the opposite of what NV would want to pressure them into, and I fully expect HWU to double down on their stance of RTX/RT/DLSS not being relevant now. For me this is a loss as I would very much like them to provide proper benchmarks of RT in all games which have it. Hence my disappointment with all parties here.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you see JayzTwoCents new video? It's pretty great actually
He took a shit on RT and it's probably the video I disagree with him the most. RT does matter, it's the future, but it's still not there yet.
Dismissing just because performance takes a hit isn't future thinking at all. RT makes a huge difference for me, not just in games but in rendering, with the proper renderer I can save a LOT more time in rendering scenes.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
They either don't include it in their benchmarks at all or include just a couple of games out of 30 or so released thus far. And while they do benchmark these three games they are constantly saying how it doesn't worth it in their opinion. This looks like ignoring it to me.
Them ignoring Cyberpunk would be quite a feat for sure. Thankfully they know how to do business and thus it didn't happen.
So them reviewing RT (however not in the capacity you desire) is ignoring?

And how dare them to have an opinion on RT. The nerve.

So how is it going so far? Have they already changed their opinion now as they don't have review samples from NV anymore?
And what is the problem exactly? Them not getting reference review samples means that their reviews will come out later than from those who will. That's a loss for both them and Nv.
I think that both parties are at fault for this situation but if someone wants to get mad at one commercial company cutting ties with another commercial company then it's their right of course.
This simply isn't true. NV doesn't give a shit if instead of 100 outlets, only 99 are gonna be reporting about their products in the future.

When you review products you don't really have a luxury of saying "subjective opinions" unless you are showing data which back them up at least somehow.
SAM hasn't been exclusive to consoles at all btw, not sure where you get that.
Huh? Reviews are literally all about opinions, this also applies to tech. SAM is new tech, as are RT and DLSS. We don't know their future, it's fine to have an opinion based on the limited data that is there. As of now, based on the data, you can say SAM is useless or exciting and both would be somewhat valid takes.

I fully understand that pressuring means. And as I've said multiple times already I fully agree that the way NV handled this was stupid and unacceptable. But mostly because in contrast to what you suggest I don't see how this will pressure HWU into anything at all. The result will likely be the opposite of what NV would want to pressure them into, and I fully expect HWU to double down on their stance of RTX/RT/DLSS not being relevant now. For me this is a loss as I would very much like them to provide proper benchmarks of RT in all games which have it. Hence my disappointment with all parties here.
Just because they may not be giving in, doesn't mean that NV is not pressuring them to do so.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
He took a shit on RT and it's probably the video I disagree with him the most. RT does matter, it's the future, but it's still not there yet.
Dismissing just because performance takes a hit isn't future thinking at all. RT makes a huge difference for me, not just in games but in rendering, with the proper renderer I can save a LOT more time in rendering scenes.
He didn't say it's shit, he said it's not there yet and it's scummy for Nvidia to nuke a fellow content creator like this. This isn't about future thinking, everybody know it's the future, let's focus on the present and for now it's virtually non existent for gamers.

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
RT does matter, it's the future, but it's still not there yet.
Dismissing just because performance takes a hit isn't future thinking at all.
And it's not there yet due to what?

HU's position is that it's not there yet since performance takes a hit below the refresh rate its audience (users of high frequency monitors, HU regularly reviews high refresh rate gaming monitors) asks for. So for RT to be there it has to reach the respective frequencies. This is not badmouthing the tech, just stating the fact current cards won't be able to achieve what HU and its audience expect for it to be usable for them.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

HU's position is that it's not there yet since performance takes a hit below the refresh rate its audience (users of high frequency monitors, HU regularly reviews high refresh rate gaming monitors) asks for. So for RT to be there it has to reach the respective frequencies. This is not badmouthing the tech, just stating the fact current cards won't be able to achieve what HU and its audience expect for it to be usable for them.

I was talking about Jayz2cents video. He was badmouthing it, calling it irrelevant, nobody buys the cards for that feature.

I don't disagree with what you said regardless.

He didn't say it's shit, he said it's not there yet and it's scummy for Nvidia to nuke a fellow content creator like this. This isn't about future thinking, everybody know it's the future, let's focus on the present and for now it's virtually non existent for gamers.

He did talk shit, He said nobody would ask him about it when buying a card. Called it irrelevant.
That's bullshit.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
linus went IN. dont know how anyone in this thread is on board with what nvidia are trying to push on reviewers, straight up embarrassing boot licking gamer bullshit. really shouldnt be surprised though when it comes to this AMD vs NV stuff though, it really is just as pathetic as console or smartphone wars.

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
I was talking about Jayz2cents video. He was badmouthing it, calling it irrelevant, nobody buys the cards for that feature.

I don't disagree with what you said regardless.
Oh all clear then, sorry for the mix up. I now see I made a mess with my own selective quoting. With all these YouTubers jumping in onto that topic it has become harder to follow if we are talking about the original topic or one of the later ones. :)

Readler

Oct 6, 2018

This.

RT IS the future, but it's far more meaningful than some fancy reflections, which are imo quite trivial in terms of impact. Now, ofc, "don't let perfect get in the way of good" and we need to start somewhere, but it shouldn't be controversial to say that RT in its current form is a bit of a gimmick.

linus went IN. dont know how anyone in this thread is on board with what nvidia are trying to push on reviewers, straight up embarrassing boot licking gamer bullshit. really shouldnt be surprised though when it comes to this AMD vs NV stuff though, it really is just as pathetic as console or smartphone wars.
It's worse bru

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The NV bias on Era has always been quite strong but damn some of you have really drank the kool aid, Jesus. Seriously, I don't know why this isn't being moderated, NV vs. AMD is a hell of a lot worse around here than PS5 vs Xbox.

Nvidia is being a cunt here, no two ways around it. They've always been cunts (remember PhysX? remember GPP?), but excusing this kind of behaviour under the guise of "oh well they should just buy their own samples then" is just pure naiveté and ignorance only to defend a scummy billion dollar corporation. Sure, HWU (or any other outlet for that matter) could just get their hands on a sample just like us common folk, but by the time they get one and publish their review they may as well try getting a 4080.
Gamers fucking suck, and launch day reviews are the bread and butter for most these channels, as gamers only care about that, let's face it. This is the tech equivalent of going "Oh you don't a press pass? Sucks to be you, I'm sure you can figure something out :)"

No "pressure" tho, it's all cool lads, carry on. Or do we need to define what pressure means first?

I agree with everything you've said here.

NVIDIA been on that shit for a long time, too, as you say. And people ate it up. LOL I'll never forget there were people here defending the 1080Ti going from $700 to the 2080Ti going to $1200. Now you got posters who spent 1.2-1.4K last year or this year on GPUs that are struggling to run Cyberpunk 2077 at 1440p with all the bells and whistles on. In general as gamers we just let ourselves get way too polarized in defending companies who consistently engage in non-competitive practices.

Best thing for gamers is a competitive AMD at the high-end. And it appears that, at least for raster performance, we've got that. The 6900XT slots in above the 3080 and below the 3090 for rasterized performance (and price). It's ok for reviewers to highlight this.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
All it would take is a third party card manufacturer to chime in and offer review samples in their stead. To make nvidia look even worse. Im surprised that did not happen man this makes me heavily consider my next card as i do not want to support such practices at the very least i will never buy a FE card.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Transcript of Nvidia's email to Hardware Unboxed.

Yeah this is an absolute clown shoes take from their PR. We've had hardware raytracing in consumer hands now for 25 months. I would argue that, of major game releases, Cyberpunk 2077, which just launched, is the first real killer showcase of the tech, and it comes as a extreme performance hit in a game where performance is already at a premium. The other "big" games that used RTX were Battlefield, where it caused major frametime issues and had little visual payoff during gameplay, and Call of Duty, same story. Even in CP2077, looking at my daughter playing with RT off versus me with it on, the difference is fairly subtle because a- we've become quite good at faking reflections and b- the player character isn't reflected in surfaces so it's quite jarring IMO.

Rasterized performance is still huge, is what I'm saying. It's still king. Until you can get a $500 GPU that can play the latest ray-traced games at 1440p and 60 fps then this is not going to change. We have not actually hit the critical juncture yet when the RTX 3070 is under 60 fps in CP2077 with RTX and DLSS both on.

Now DLSS on the other hand AMD could really use a counter to ASAP, but it's dependent on proper implementation from developers, which has hurt its adoption. It is saving my ass in Cyberpunk 2077 and it looks phenomenal in Death Stranding. Other games, not so much, visual quality is noticeably degraded, which is unfortunate.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
All it would take is a third party card manufacturer to chime in and offer review samples in their stead. To make nvidia look even worse. Im surprised that did not happen man this makes me heavily consider my next card as i do not want to support such practices at the very least i will never buy a FE card.
Even if they get review samples from AIBs, that's not a solution. The embargo date for the FE cards is usually earlier than the AIB cards. And people look at reviews when the first embargo ends, not when the second embargo ends (unless they're looking for a review of a SPECIFIC model of the card, but that's not what most people are interested in)

Eternia

Oct 25, 2017
Nvidia walked back on their decision but the damaged has been done. What a pointless circus.

BIG NEWS I just received an email from Nvidia apologizing for the previous email & they've now walked everything back. This thing has been a roller coaster ride over the past few days. I'd like to thank everyone who supported us, obviously a huge thank you to @linusgsebastian

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, it's a bugger. I've always wanted AMD to do well again and provide real competition and was very happy when I could get an AMD CPU again. I'm happy that their GPUs are competitive in rasterisation again, but I'm also happy I got a 3080 because games with global illumination are amazing to look at and DLSS is there to make that playable.

I'm pissed off at that email and fuck NVidia for this shitshow, but I still feel like I just didn't have a choice. It's like when I got an iPad Pro to replace my old and chuggy Pixel C when I don't like iOS. I wanted a tablet and without competition at the high end for tablets just like GPU features, I had no choice. Same with Intel on CPUs before the Zen cores came in.

Jayz2Cents above said it best. You can enjoy the product but hate the company and I guess we gotta roll with it.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nvidia walked back on their decision but the damaged has been done. What a pointless circus.

So they made themselves look like tits for a couple of days with no gain. I wonder if that head of PR that sent the email is going to have a job next week, even if knowing how Jensen operates, the email was set at his behest.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
Nvidia has no business telling outlets how they are going to review their products.
That is what puts them in the wrong here.

I think Nvidia can pick and choose who gets review cards, they have no obligation to provide them, but this is an overt attempt at influence.

Edit: Seems like it has been resolved?

Last edited:

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is kinda a problem I personally have with HU. They seem to be focusing on a very specific audience, i.e. folks with high-end hardware that only care about framerate and have deep enough pockets to spend several hundreds of dollars every year or two in order to get the best performance.

The issue here is they are an absolute minority in the PC community, a very loud minority, but still. The average person when buying a new GPU wants to know mostly for how long it will last them, and this is where Nvidia excels over AMD, so when HU underplays the importance of RT and DLSS, they underplay NV the biggest selling point.

So I'm not surprised that Nvidia's PR department got pissed, that said putting HU on blacklist for this is a really childish move on their part.
I'd argue the average PC user gives no shits about RT or DLSS, rather "does it run well" which that graph showcases very clearly in Dimb's post. I don't get why people are even defending Nvidia here, they are literally bullying a media outlet into providing more positive spin. That's some fucked up shit and should not be tolerated at all as it denies media freedom and forces a specific narrative for Nvidia to look better.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
Good for Nvidia for reversing such unacceptable and inexcusable actions. But the damage is already done. I hope reviewers continue emphasising traditional rasterisation to teach Nvidia a proper lesson.

Oct 25, 2019
Glad to see that Nvidia walked back their actions, it was a gross and unethical stance to take and in no way were their actions defendable.

However it's now opened up the possibility that Nvidia have taken such action against other outlets and potentially calls in to question the coverage Nvidia get if this is the type of bullying and bribing they commit to get positive coverage. I wouldn't put it past any corporation to try to strong arm positive coverage, but Nvidia were so blatant in this attempt it's hard to ignore the possibility they've done this before and successfully.

I'll keep watching HUB, but I'll definitely be reconsidering whether or not to buy an Nvidia graphics card going forward after this. There was finally a 3070 available too for its MSRP! :(

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
what did they honestly think was going to happen? PR person didnt see the backlash coming? the PUBLIC RELATIONS person didnt see that coming?
They thought more shills would drown out the people rightfully calling them out. We have more than enough nvidia, facebook, cdpr, ubi, etc bootlickers in these forums alone.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Good on everyone who isn't Nvidia for forcing Nvidia to reverse their horrible decision.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
So they made themselves look like tits for a couple of days with no gain. I wonder if that head of PR that sent the email is going to have a job next week, even if knowing how Jensen operates, the email was set at his behest.

It's not that uncommon that higher up-suits are absoluty detached from reality.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Linus rekt them on the WAN show 😂

Luke had to lean out of the frame he was about to laugh so hard

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why people are even defending Nvidia here, they are literally bullying a media outlet into providing more positive spin. That's some fucked up shit and should not be tolerated at all as it denies media freedom and forces a specific narrative for Nvidia to look better.
Not sure why you are using my post as an example of "defending Nvidia" since at no point I actually defended Nvidia, and even reiterated a couple of post later that they're acting like assholes and are terrible company when it comes to relations with just about anyone.
I'd argue the average PC user gives no shits about RT or DLSS, rather "does it run well" which that graph showcases very clearly in Dimb's post.
So you're arguing that the average PC user buys a new GPU every time a new model come out? Because I think that's completely wrong.

Someone else brought this up in this thread, but if media outlet that sells itself to their audience as being truthful and objective, and often makes videos showcasing how one old GPU architecture aged much better form the other thanks to specific feature set (like AMD supporting async compute while NV didn't), have no problems recommending GPU based on architecture that was outdated the day it released (say 5700XT) over GPU that's a more expensive, but it's going to have a far longer legs (say 2070 super) without clearly pointing this out, I think one could make an argument that they are not being completely fair towards a later product. And this is what people are actually discussing in this thread, whether HU was fair in their reviews of Nvidia GPU's (debatable), and whether Nvidia was justified in their reaction (it wasn't).

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
.... I shouldn't really be surprised that people are freaking defending this completely crap corp move by Nvidia, but yeah, this is Era after all.

Hardware Unboxed released multiple articles on DLSS, RTX, etc... They were quoted front page in Nvidia's marketing. However, all of a sudden they are favoring "unjustly" AMD. This is an insane take, and people defending Nvidia here are just unbelievable. Yes, your favorite corp will reward you, keep going!

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
"Hardware Unboxed are AMD fanboys" - is this *really* the hill folks want to die on?

Both of these videos are very critical towards AMD, and they're far from the only on the channel.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

Pointless is exactly what I would describe it as. You can not send review samples but you cannot threaten someone into reviewing and valuing aspects of a product that you want them to without looking like a complete and total asshole in the process.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
"Hardware Unboxed are AMD fanboys" - is this *really* the hill folks want to die on?

Both of these videos are very critical towards AMD, and they're far from the only on the channel.

The video for the Ryzen 3xxx XT CPUs straight up say these are worthless releases no one should buy. Rightly so