• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
So as long as I have an amazing CPU with an average GPU I can expect 144fps in these new open-world games? Or do you just mean open-world games are fps limited by CPU/IO with the available hardware?

I currently have a 2080 and a 3900x is there a CPU I can switch to that could allow me to hit 144fps in Valhalla?
I mean that resolution isn't important here. If you're able to hit 144 fps at all in some title you would be able to hit it in any resolution if your GPU is capable enough.

Valhalla is severely PCIE latency limited, on NV h/w especially (which is the main reason why AMD is doing better there btw; nothing to do with GPUs per se). There is pretty much nothing a user can do to improve PCIE latency, it's up to the devs (patches) and IHVs (drivers) to solve this issue.

Last edited:

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
So are we just gonna believe random tweets with zero proof? Why aren't they just sharing the entire communication if they want to put nVidia on blast?

I'm skeptical. Need some receipts on this one.

I mean, regardless of context that is a really horrible thing to say. So either they didn't copy and paste and straight up are lying, or nvidia is very in the wrong here.

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
But you don't buy a GPU for only 1 year of gaming, people usually keep them for 3-4 years at least, sometimes more, so I think RT should be prioritized as well, especially for the long term.

But the cards coming out now won't be able to keep up in RT performance when those RT-enabled games come out in 3-4 years. The little optimization happening in the RT arena is helping the cards barely reach 60fps with DLSS. AMD's even worse off because they don't have an available DLSS alternative yet.

As far as ray tracing is concerned, this current gen of cards are a glorified beta test. The next gen or two of cards will be the true show for RT.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
As far as ray tracing is concerned, this current gen of cards are a glorified beta test. The next gen or two of cards will be the true show for RT.
People have been saying this about Turing, didn't stop me from playing all RT games on it in 1440p. Now is the time to say the same (dubious) thing about Ampere, I guess. Mostly because RDNA2 is at Turing's RT performance level it seems?

RT will always be capable of being a performance hog. It's up to the devs to implement it in a way which will run well enough to reach some specific level of performance on currently available GPUs. It matters little which gen of h/w is the target for this. You will be able to push a GPU from 2500 to 5 fps with RT.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
But you don't buy a GPU for only 1 year of gaming, people usually keep them for 3-4 years at least, sometimes more, so I think RT should be prioritized as well, especially for the long term.
Dont buy a gpu expecting it to last forever. The 2080 ti a $1200 gpu that came out 2 years ago is getting beat by a $600 card. Not everyone has a massive budget. In that case the best rasterization performance for the cost might outweigh RT performance. Not everyone cares about RT. I had a 2070 and I dont think I used RT once because the performance hit didnt seem worth it.

I honestly think dlss is more important than RT because without it RT performance would still be mostly garbage unless you get the highest end card.

Heysoos

Prophet of Truth
Nov 3, 2017
Just saw the LTT segment and heard the full email. Jesus fucking Christ what a terrible look Nvidia.

demana

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw the LTT segment and heard the full email. Jesus fucking Christ what a terrible look Nvidia.

Yup, this was such a stupid thing for that Nvidia person to send. How does a Director of PR at a major corporation make these choices? Half waiting for the desperate follow-up blaming it on an unauthorized intern who "misunderstood" his instructions.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
After LTT confirmed the receipts, the opinion that Hardware Unboxed was lying has aged like fine milk. lol

This is blowing up on Nvidia's face and that's beautiful. I can't wait until they go back to HUB and say "nvm you can have our cards"

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
I was hoping we would get the other Linus also saying "Nvidia, fuck you". Golden opportunity missed :(
Indeed. But I'm glad Linus went ballistic on Nvidia, because this is inexcusable and unacceptable. And this is coming from someone who thinks DLSS is amazing technology and is excited to see the fruits of Nvidia's partnership with Nintendo with the successor to the Nintendo Switch.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Indeed. But I'm glad Linus went ballistic on Nvidia, because this is inexcusable and unacceptable. And this is coming from someone who thinks DLSS is amazing technology and is excited to see the fruits of Nvidia's partnership with Nintendo with the successor to the Nintendo Switch.
It was glorious. Can't wait to see whatever Steve from Gamers Nexus uploads regarding this.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
nVidia has been garbage for years. They've tried strong arming reviewers in the past too.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Glad Linus went in, and honestly the whole letter is just embarrassing for Nvidia. Awful.

Oct 25, 2019
Wow so much corporate boot licking in this thread to try to defend this.

Asking for an independent review outlet to change it's editorial tone to be more friendly to one specific line of products is not ethical and should be pushed back on. How anyone in here defended Nvidia is mind boggling.

Nvidia does not care about you and does not want what is best for you, they want to maximise profit out of their production line and their consumers. Stop defending them when they do something wrong.

Insert the name of any corporation in place of Nvidia and apply to any situation.

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In this topic: people blindly defend Nvidia even though they are known for practising scummy things throughout the years.

Just because you like their products, doesn't mean that they are in the right, especially if they have a known track record of being in the wrong.

Kind of funny how all the Nvidia defenders are quiet now, isn't it?

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Stuff like this definitely turns me off from Nvidia, glad I finally went team red with my latest GPU upgrade. Though I'm sure AMD partakes in their fair share of shady shit, capitalism demands it.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I was surprised at the amount of bootlicking and benefit of the doubt given to Nvidia in this thread. HU has never been one to chase drama, and you'd have to be nuts to think Steve would misconstrue or worst yet lie about the contents of the letter Nvidia sent them given the attention this story would bring them. But even more importantly, Nvidia has a long, sordid hisory of these kinds of strong-arm tactics. What Nvidia did here is standard operating procedure when they want to send a message, and it should have surprised nobody.

Last edited:

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I was surprised at the amount of bootlicking and benefit of the doubt given to Nvidia in this thread. HU has never been one to chase drama, and you'd have to be nuts to think Steve would misconstrue or worst yet lie about the contents of the letter Nvidia sent them given the attention this story would bring them. But even more importantly, Nvidia has a long, sordid hisory of these kinds of strong-arm tactics. What Nvidia did here is standard operation procedure when they want to send a message, and it should have surprised nobody.

It's like folks forgot about GeForce Partner Program!

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's like folks forgot about GeForce Partner Program!
They didn't forget. They always conveniently ignore it or avoid bringing it up, in the hopes of not hurting Nvidia's image.

Just like how they burned bridges with Sony, Microsoft, Apple, and now it looks like Tesla as well. Nintendo, I believe, will also dump them, if they mess up again.
I tried mentioning those things a while back, and people told me that was ages ago and that Nvidia is different now.
However, I haven't seen Nvidia change one bit from the olden days.

They constantly think of new ways to make me distrust them.

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao people defending nvidia.

The email literally says "you guys receive free merch"

Aged like fine wine

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
How can you side with Nvidia on this lol.

Just PR nightmare from their Global Director of PR

Sarek

Oct 27, 2017
It is embarrassing how many corporate bootlickers this thread has had. Nvidia's actions are completely undefendable.

Draconis

Oct 28, 2017
Well...

I am really curious what the fallout on this is going to be in total. Fanboy wars will always be there. Folks getting used to 1200 and up price tags was what Nvidia was hoping for, to further cement their bottom line and increase shareholder value. AMD disrupting this by being able to compete is likely what is driving this whole immense focus on the RTX thing, recouping costs of R&D and hardware aside.

No matter which way you spin this, this is one of the biggest and most blatant examples of " Open Mouth, Insert Foot. " I have ever seen. And the video from the Wan show was right. Now AMD Fanboys have literal ammunition to prove their points and cry shill at others.

One single email has done immense amounts of damage just in PR alone.

I sincerely hope that Nvidia has to suffer immense pain in extracting that boot that they have so swiftly shoved up their own arse in this regard.

The damned company could use getting a metric fuck ton dose of humiliation.

PC hardware should be affordable. Period. And reasonable for one's budget and use case scenario. No one should succumb to Fanboy Greed or corporate apologist behavior.

This behavior from Nvidia is absolutely appalling. And I am seriously hoping that this instance results in severe repurcussions because I am fricking tired of large corporations lording their position over folks, and using BS, thinly masked reasons to cover up the ugly roots of their outright greed.

It's one of the reasons why I love watching Gamer's Nexus, as I feel more than any other channel, they are 100% neutral and equal opportunity in ripping anyone and everyone apart in their reviews.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Nvidia is in the right here, no matter what anyone says. Companies should get to control the opinions of those using their products for free, or else access to those products should be removed. If some insignificant YouTube channel can't handle the fire, they should just stay out of the kitchen.

Jesus Christ no.

Draconis

Oct 28, 2017
Nvidia is in the right here, no matter what anyone says. Companies should get to control the opinions of those using their products for free, or else access to those products should be removed. If some insignificant YouTube channel can't handle the fire, they should just stay out of the kitchen.

By this very Logic, Trump should be allowed to get everything he wants, Free Press be damned, just because he's the President.

Cannot agree with this position, at all. The point of reviewers is so folks can have an (hopefully - Reviewer depending ) unbiased, no spin attached opinion on matters and make an informed decision.

It's reasons like this why Consumer Reports exist. The Better Business Bureau exists, and also why there are laws in the books that don't allow companies to bill you for a product you received in the email unsolicited.

It's to stop shady BS. And to allow folks to be informed.

As was pointed out, Nvidia benefits from this transaction, and HAS benefited from their transactions with Hardware Unboxed, seeing as they have used their quotes from their reviews in regards to DLSS and RTX directly on their own website. Mark me, this will have repercussions, we just may not ever know the full extent of them. But it has soured my mood on Nvidia greatly because I abhor bullies.

I literally have zero comprehension on why ANYONE would be against the ability to freely make an informed, well thought out decision for themselves when it comes to their hard earned money.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
If there is one review outlet that is balanced I would say HardwareUnboxed is it. They are also extremely diligent in their testing. They're the best YT review site alongside GamersNexus.

They're a small channel. The usual posters attacking them to defend their favourite billion dollar company is extremely predictable.