• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Nvidia is not a charitable organization to help websites or video channels to make money. Yes, HU may lose revenue by not being the first to publish content but so is Nvidia losing revenue with negative feedback on their product.

Giving out free samples to an influencer is just one form of advertisement, like video ads, banner ads. If I'm not getting the return of investment I want, I just cut the ad. Straightforward marketing 101.

Consumers should criticize companies for offering bribes rather than defend them for it.

Advocating for your own interests 101.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Can't take any review seriously if they're too worried about saying the wrong thing or being critical, and being black listed.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
So just share the entire email. Until then I'm passing zero judgement on this.
I honestly agree with you on needing more context.

The specific quote they released where Nvidia says, "It is very clear from your community commentary..." has me curious, because it says community commentary, not review, which makes it sound like it was something one of the HU guys said on their forums or in the Youtube comments with which Nvidia took issue.

Show me the quote from Nvidia where they say you weren't doing enough RT in your review. That should be extremely easy, right? I am hugely skeptical that they were "banned" for not having enough RT comparisons.

Release the email. Right now they are just weaponizing the community.

mephixto

Oct 25, 2017
I don't watch HU but they don't test RTX or DSLSS? if not maybe Nvidia has some reasons to be upset but that's not the way to handle it, shitty move by Nvidia.

Nkcell

Jun 24, 2020
Nvidia is not a charitable organization to help websites or video channels to make money. Yes, HU may lose revenue by not being the first to publish content but so is Nvidia losing revenue with negative feedback on their product.

Giving out free samples to an influencer is just one form of advertisement, like video ads, banner ads. If I'm not getting the return of investment I want, I just cut the ad. Straightforward marketing 101.

It's almost like straight forward capitalism 101 is a bad thing. Bad for consumers. Bad for society. I think it's good that people in this thread are rightfully calling it out as bad.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question. What is rasterization?

Its the way the card handles basic shading of the primary colours - red, gold, and green.

So like 'normal' 3D graphics before ray tracing etc. Its odd because really its all rasterisation, you're just spending more time calculating the value for a pixel when you're doing RT. But these days its being used as 'not ray tracing'

john2gr

Oct 27, 2017
Nvidia used embargoes to ensure that FE cards were reviewed earlier than AIB cards. Those reviews draw a lot of views, which translates directly to revenue for the sites.

If Nvidia only gives early review samples (which generate money) to sites that give them favorable coverage, the effect is similar to a bribe.

And? That's no different from what's happening with the review codes for most games. It doesn't matter if you are a big or small website. Look at what happened with Cyberpunk 2077. Most influencers got a code, whereas most gaming websites did not.

Here is an example. We (DSOGaming) have more than one million visitors per month (we are not a big website but we are certainly not a small one). However, some publishers have blacklisted us (and I can assure you it's not because we don't have a big fanbase, as websites with WAY lower traffic/visitors receive review codes from those publishers). It's PR stuff, it's business, we get it. You don't see us crying over at social media about it. Instead, we buy the games ourselves in order to provide our readers with the Performance Analysis articles for these games. Yes, it has an impact on the day-1 coverage, but that's how it is.

Bottom line, you can write freely about what you want/believe, however, there might be consequences. You must be ready to accept them, period. You are not entitled to free stuff just because you are a journalist/reviewer.

PS: In case it's not made clear, I 100% agree it's a dick move from NVIDIA (consumer-wise). I also completely agree that Hardware Unboxed should NOT change its methodology. They should be free to write/say whatever they want. However, this does not mean that they are entitled to free stuff.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
This couldnt be further from the truth. They are pretty brutal towards AMD. Espicially their driver support.
They are a benchmarking site, you mean they fake their benchmarks?
I'm not saying they're fanboys who will ignore issues on AMDs side and praise them to heaven but they do have bias that is noticable.

Like I said in another post if you suddenly change your test suite and include 3 sponsored AMD games, which are big outliers btw, right before a bunch of GPU reviews I'm going to be critical of that choice. And if all those games were big releases like Valhalla you could argue that these are just the games that are relevant these days but when 2 out of those 3 games are Dirt 5 & Godfall, a game which almost no one plays or cares about, I'll voice my doubt about objectivity. It's no coincidence that HU is the only review outlet where a 5700xt matches a 2070S.

I feel the way this issue is handled also supports what I'm saying and I agree with Finalflame's standpoint. If you're going to air your dirty laundry on twitter atleast post the entire thing instead of selectively choosing quotes.

Ex Machina

Oct 28, 2017
Consumers should criticize companies for offering bribes rather than defend them for it.

Advocating for your own interests 101.
It is not a bribe unless Nvidia explicitly told HU to only mention the positive aspect of ray tracing which I doubt. Companies give out free stuff hoping to get good feedback but if they get negative ROI it is normal to cut ties. It is just marketing like every type of ads which is not bribing in a legal way. This type of stuff is happening in every business, not just Nvidia.

Again I'm talking from a business perspective, if you are regular HU viewers, you can complain whatever.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Nvidia is in the right here, no matter what anyone says. Companies should get to control the opinions of those using their products for free, or else access to those products should be removed. If some insignificant YouTube channel can't handle the fire, they should just stay out of the kitchen.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
And? That's no different from what's happening with the review codes for most games. It doesn't matter if you are a big or small website. Look at what happened with Cyberpunk 2077. Most influencers got a code, whereas most gaming websites did not.

Here is an example. We (DSOGaming) have more than one million visitors per month (we are not a big website but we are certainly not a small one). However, a lot of the publishers have blacklisted us (and I can assure you it's not because we don't have a big fanbase, as websites with WAY lower traffic/visitors receive review codes from those publishers). It's PR stuff, it's business, we get it. You don't see us crying over at social media about it. Instead, we buy the games ourselves in order to provide our readers with the Performance Analysis articles for these games. Yes, it has an impact on the day-1 coverage, but that's how it is.

Bottom line, you can write freely about what you want/believe, however, there might be consequences. You must be ready to accept them, period. You are not entitled to free stuff just because you are a journalist/reviewer.

What you interestingly choose to describe as "crying" is in the public interest for consumers.

I don't have any stake in the success of Hardware Unboxed, but I do have a stake in the degree to which pseudo-kickbacks taint the trustworthiness of the information I base purchasing decisions on. We should rightly criticize these things, not normalize them.

It is not a bribe unless Nvidia explicitly told HU to only mention the positive aspect of ray tracing which I doubt. Companies give out free stuff hoping to get good feedback but if they get negative ROI it is normal to cut ties. It is just marketing like every type of ads which is not bribing in a legal way. This type of stuff is happening in every business, not just Nvidia.

Again I'm talking from a business perspective, if you are regular HU viewers, you can complain whatever.

Whether it is strictly legal or not isn't a big concern to me. Whether it is good for Nvidia as a business is of zero concern to me.

It is obviously bad for me as a consumer, so I should be opposed to it. It has nothing to do with being a viewer of this particular channel or not. The big mystery to me is the motives of those trying to spin this on Nvidia's behalf.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Not a big fan of companies withholding review samples in favour of positive coverage, it amounts to deceiving the people that read/watch these reviews to help make their decision.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Beyond shitty from Nvidia. This is going to make them look terrible once other sites start reporting on it.

That being said I don't think it's good for reviewers to sideline RT and DLSS just because they aren't industry standard yet. Maybe if they were as inconsequential as PhysX or Hairworks it would make sense to ignore them, but the writing is on the wall with the new consoles having full DX12U support. It reminds me a bit of the people who pushed for highly clocked Pentiums and i3s because they were "good enough" when 4C+ multithreading was in the cusp of breaking out.

I guess the stickler for me is that it's not really an "either or" situation since the RTX 3080 generally beats the 6800XT in raster anyway and AIB prices are largely the same. I don't think a negligible raster gain is worth giving up the potential of playing a transformative RT game in the future. It's like the classic exercise where you can have a million dollars upfront or $0.01 doubled each day for a month instead.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Considering the RT and DLSS feature set are key features of the high-end Nvidia cards, and frankly, Hardware Unboxed's pretty staunch stance of downplaying the value of those, I...kind of understand why you wouldn't be sending out preview hardware that leverages it? Like, it's shitty, but presumably this is an environment where Nvidia itself needs to prioritize this stuff (i.e., more outlets than they have hardware to lend/track).

I think it's (generally) bad form to withhold materials for editorial reasons, but I don't think it's exactly out of left field, and this is more fundamental re: feature set vs the outlet's focus.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
Can we stop calling these "reviews"? Be it hardware or software, it seem like that in tech, even if a few outlets treat these product presentations as legitimate reviews, they can only be made by abiding to corporate rules.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying they're fanboys who will ignore issues on AMDs side and praise them to heaven but they do have bias that is noticable.

Like I said in another post if you suddenly change your test suite and include 3 sponsored AMD games, which are big outliers btw, right before a bunch of GPU reviews I'm going to be critical of that choice. And if all those games were big releases like Valhalla you could argue that these are just the games that are relevant these days but when 2 out of those 3 games are Dirt 5 & Godfall, a game which almost no one plays or cares about, I'll voice my doubt about objectivity. It's no coincidence that HU is the only review outlet where a 5700xt matches a 2070S.

I feel the way this issue is handled also supports what I'm saying and I agree with Finalflame's standpoint. If you're going to air your dirty laundry on twitter atleast post the entire thing instead of selectively choosing quotes.
How is Godfall not relevant? That game literally just came out. It's not like Nvidia doesn't also have sponsored games and videos. Like when all those 8k videos came out right before the 3090 launched.

Kainazzo

Dec 13, 2017
And if all those games were big releases like Valhalla you could argue that these are just the games that are relevant these days but when 2 out of those 3 games are Dirt 5 & Godfall, a game which almost no one plays or cares about,.

I stumbled on HU's review on my own, and thought benchmarking Godfall was strange. It's nice for anyone who's playing it, but... Who's playing it?

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
Considering the RT and DLSS feature set are key features of the high-end Nvidia cards, and frankly, Hardware Unboxed's pretty staunch stance of downplaying the value of those, I...kind of understand why you wouldn't be sending out preview hardware that leverages it? Like, it's shitty, but presumably this is an environment where Nvidia itself needs to prioritize this stuff (i.e., more outlets than they have hardware to lend/track).

I think it's (generally) bad form to withhold materials for editorial reasons, but I don't think it's exactly out of left field, and this is more fundamental re: feature set vs the outlet's focus.

I think I settled on this conclusion too. I wonder if NVIDIA had specific review guidelines - not to enforce a bias but more specifically showcase their more or less exclusive features.

I really like Hardware Unboxed and the guys that run it, but I don't get why they wouldn't test that out thoroughly anyway - if only for their viewers to get that information even if they gave their own honest bad or good conclusions on it.

But ultimately, it's just really not a good look for NVIDIA. Doubt much is gonna change either way unless everyone in the industry kind of stands up for this behavior. Which it won't.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Hardware Unboxed will be fine. NVIDIA is banning them from receiving Founder's Edition GPUs, directly from them. It's a dick move, no doubt about that. However, this does not mean that HU won't have access to any NVIDIA GPUs. HU has been reviewing a lot of AIB GPUs (even for the RTX 30 series for which most consumers still can't get their hands on) so basically, they will have access to all future NVIDIA GPUs from the AIBs. Business-wise, this won't affect them at all.
Yeah, and hopefully they mention why they're not doing FE reviews before every AIB card review.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I stumbled on HU's review on my own, and thought benchmarking Godfall was strange. It's nice for anyone who's playing it, but... Who's playing it?
People are still using Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Counter Strike to benchmark the 3080. No one needs a 3080 to run CS and who's playing Tomb Raider. Godfall at least had the relevancy of being a Next Gen launch game. And let's not act like people weren't interested and seeing it's performance considering the dumb claims the developers put out about needing a lot of VRAM.

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
I watched their cyberpunk performance video, I mean at this point he was fishing for the drama right? He actually still takes shots at nvidia saying this is an nvidia sponsored game and highly optimized for nvidia hardware but amd gpu's work well and that surprises him basically implying nvidia go out of their way to hamper amd. I mean Horizon Zero Dawn vs Death Stranding, Valhalla vs WD Legions if we take those recent examples AMD seem to be playing that game harder than nvidia lol.

He continually refers to his user poll that 60fps is the break point, it's important more than visuals but stay away from that dirty dlss word and button. Everyone knows nvidia can be dicks, but he just seems to be that kid that just keeps kicking the dog until he gets bit then cries and tells dad he didn't do anything.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
If I'm Nvidia, why would I want to give free products to an influencer that doesn't promote my product right? It just doesn't make business sense.

Nowadays, content creators feel so entitled to get everything for free and cry to social media that they are getting bullied when Nvidia is the one losing money.

People need to realize that Nvidia doesn't have the power to ban HU for making their own opinions on the gfx cards. Nvidia just won't supply them free stuff anymore. HU can still purchase with their own money or ask for gfx cards from Asus, Gigabytes etc, and continue to make content as usual.
poor corporation nvidia fighting back agaisnt evil small youtube content creator!

It's funny because in the process of defending Nvidia for acting in its own self-interest, you're acting against your own self-interest.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I feel like all features should be tested regardless of whether they're in a ton of games or not. Still a scummy move by Nvidia.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Huge unforced error by Nvidia there.

It's funny, because they're not wrong - some of the more recent GPU smorgasboard videos (by Hardware Unboxed) have definitely been dismissive towards RT in a way that sometimes feels....repetitive in how often its brought up, but as others have said, there are limited games supporting it, and without DLSS it's not even remotely worth it.

But that doesn't change the fact that this comes off far too much as 'we don't like your reviews - change them, or lose access'.

Unfortunately, the whole PC review sphere is largely based on free-early-access model, so I don't see there being too much rocking of the boat beyond twitter outcry.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I watched their cyberpunk performance video, I mean at this point he was fishing for the drama right? He actually still takes shots at nvidia saying this is an nvidia sponsored game and highly optimized for nvidia hardware but amd gpu's work well and that surprises him basically implying nvidia go out of their way to hamper amd. I mean Horizon Zero Dawn vs Death Stranding, Valhalla vs WD Legions if we take those recent examples AMD seem to be playing that game harder than nvidia lol.

He continually refers to his user poll that 60fps is the break point, it's important more than visuals but stay away from that dirty dlss word and button. Everyone knows nvidia can be dicks, but he just seems to be that kid that just keeps kicking the dog until he gets bit then cries and tells dad he didn't do anything.
I agree with this. Also If they are going to dismiss major feature of my product while receiving free review samples, I would definitely cut them off. In case of Nvidia I am referring to ray tracing and dlss. Just watch several of their videos on the matter. They always seem to dismiss these features. They were also peddling the 5700 xt a while back over the 2070 super. Those users are getting fucked now by their narrow point of view.

Oct 27, 2017
NVIDIA themselves shouldn't be forcing RT down everyone's throat considering the performance on current hardware. The performance is simply terrible.

...and devs/pubs should stop it with their "recommended specs" nonsense as it's mostly lies (unless the target is 30 FPS).

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

The specific quote they released where Nvidia says, "It is very clear from your community commentary..." has me curious, because it says community commentary, not review, which makes it sound like it was something one of the HU guys said on their forums or in the Youtube comments with which Nvidia took issue.

Show me the quote from Nvidia where they say you weren't doing enough RT in your review. That should be extremely easy, right? I am hugely skeptical that they were "banned" for not having enough RT comparisons.

this is correct. Even if it's commentary on some video, I wouldn't be surprised if they felt the lack of 1:1 comparison by price like in that WDL comparison graph and the lack of disclaimer about RT missing half the reflections on AMD.

that kind of indirect and misleading editorializing but leaving out context for what is essentially a consumer review page/channel would be enough to justify suspending free samples if repeated often.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
I'm gonna go ahead and say it: If Nvidia did do it based on HU focusing on one data point rather than overall performance? They're not wrong to do it.

It'd be like PC Gamer reviewing a CPU solely on its web browsing capabilities b/c somehow they're better on Intel than AMD... That's not remotely close to being a fair review, and seems more than a bit biased. I know HU tends to be fair and responsible about irs reviews, which is why I find it odd, but if true... Nvidia can definitely just pull support away over it.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I wonder if it has more to do with the video tech jesus did (sorry I don't know his real name LOL) on Nvidia being too precious about leaks, the one where he was mountain biking.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
At this point I really think we need to see the whole letter, choosing specific quotes out can really be misleading and there definitely can be situations that would be solid reasons to not send free samples to a reviewer.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
It was probably this which caught NVs' eye. They probably looked at the results and said not worth sending them cards.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

In their 3060Ti review they reviewed the card, but in the final conclusions they (I'm parapharasing) say that RT doesn't matter enough to be a deciding factor to recommend the card. It wouldn't be the first time they say something like that. It could have something to do with that.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
In their 3060Ti review they reviewed the card, but in the final conclusions they (I'm parapharasing) say that RT doesn't matter enough to be a deciding factor to recommend the card. It wouldn't be the first time they say something like that. It could have something to do with that.

Is that a lie though? He shows the benchmark comparing the RT performance between different cards for you to decide yourself if that's important to you

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Hardware Unboxed spent the better part of a year shitting on DLSS and claiming that AMD's image sharpening was a superior solution - even after the problems of the initial few games were fixed.
Now whenever they benchmark games with RT support they usually say something along the lines of "well, NVIDIA is clearly ahead of AMD, but who really wants the performance hit of RT anyway?"

If I was NVIDIA I wouldn't keep them on the list of outlets that get free cards either.
I don't really like the way they're framing this as being "banned" from receiving future samples. They just aren't on the list for getting a free GPU any more. They aren't banned from anything.

Let me just remind you:
www.techpowerup.com

NVIDIA Deliberately Worsens SDR Monitor Image Settings to Showcase HDR

In its eagerness to showcase just how important HDR (High Dynamic Range) support is for the image quality of the future, NVIDIA set up a display booth on Computex, where it showcased the difference between SDR (Standard Dynamic Range) and HDR images. However, it looks as if the green company was...
The source of this was a Hardware Canucks video where Dmitry claimed that NVIDIA must have intentionally made the SDR image look worse because a factory reset of the monitor; i.e. taking it out of the calibrated sRGB mode, ended up making it look brighter and more vibrant than the HDR image.
On my ASUS monitor, even the sRGB mode is not entirely accurate, since it locks the backlight to 50 when the correct setting is 30 (100 nits).

If you actually look at the comparison, the backlight is cranked up and the image lacks any depth after the factory reset.
An inaccurate SDR image can easily be made brighter and more vibrant than an accurate HDR one, and an HDR display lets you take SDR further out-of-spec.
You need to be comparing an accurate SDR image to an accurate HDR image in a side-by-side.

The benchmark for a game in development called boundary also had issues with reflections on AMD hardware.
I wonder if this is actually a bug, or another of their "optimizations" like having the driver limit tessellation back when their GPUs couldn't handle it nearly as well as NVIDIA's - which would often break effects in games (but run better) or going much further back, when they did similar things for Quake 3.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Is that a lie though? He shows the benchmark comparing the RT performance between different cards for you to decide yourself if that's important to you

It wasn't a lie. It also was clearly said in a "personal opinion" voice. I do care about RT and stuff, but many people doesn't. Since that was personal opinion, I imagine the "community commentary" may have something to do with it

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
What a shame, it's one of the few sites I visit because of their unbiased views and not acting like they are shilling for AMD or Nvidia.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Nvidia is in the right here, no matter what anyone says. Companies should get to control the opinions of those using their products for free, or else access to those products should be removed. If some insignificant YouTube channel can't handle the fire, they should just stay out of the kitchen.
Mr. Hwang is that you?

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if this is actually a bug, or another of their "optimizations" like having the driver limit tessellation back when their GPUs couldn't handle it nearly as well as NVIDIA's - which would often break effects in games (but run better) or going much further back, when they did similar things for Quake 3.
Oh yeah, I forgot they did that! It's definitely a possibility, although I'd assume it would be more wide-spread if they were doing it on purpose.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
In other words, keep shilling for us or no free stuff. What a way to inform the consumer, I love it.

How about we look after the consumer first and foremost and not overcharge for products because there is no competition? That would be an awesome start and even better would have the community who welcomes competition where we can elaborate on what's good and what needs to be improved without the same patterns of focusing always on the latter.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Even pushing aside the ethical considerations, from a simple PR perspective this is also just so incredibly dumb. Hardware Unboxed is a relatively large channel, the trivial cost of supplying them with a few graphics cards every generation vs. the shitstorm this is going to create is amazingly incompetent. What did they possibly think was going to be the outcome from this?

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
No outlet should be using WDL RT performance right now to test cross platform performance as RT is broken on AMD hardware in that game. It is not rendering like more than a half of the reflections it should.
Since it's not rendering half the reflections, does that means the performance on the graph for the 6800 is inflated over what it would be if it worked correctly?

I never watched Hardware Unboxxed videos, but they are always recommended by You Tube. That chart is super misleading knowing this. Intentional or ignorance, either way not good.