• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Zelda 2. Zelda 1 can be tough at certain points too. If you are trying to 100 percent the game, BOTW has to be the hardest (or at least take the longest).

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Zelda 2. Those Lizalfos in Death Mountain really messed me up

LizalfosRed-Sprite-AOL.png

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Five Screens East of Level 1

I mean, I know I could just look up a map, but at that point it just feels like cheating, lol. If I have to lean on a walkthrough the whole time it sucks the fun out of the experience for me. I feel like I'm just following a set of instructions, rather than playing...

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
1 and 2. Both super hard games.
BotW is only hard if you try to rush into fights and don't use the combat mechanics correctly.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Fixed.

When will people appreciate the gem that is Zelda 2? The game has aged like fine fucking wine... I love it.
It has a lot of interesting ideas, and it's better than Zelda 1, but the aging is more akin to leaving the carton of milk in the fridge beyond its expiration date.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
Zelda 2, obviously.

I don't understand how op finds TP difficult. Was it even possible to die in that game? It's certainly more difficult than WW, but that's not saying much...

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I know I could just look up a map, but at that point it just feels like cheating, lol. If I have to lean on a walkthrough the whole time it sucks the fun out of the experience for me. I feel like I'm just following a set of instructions, rather than playing...

The game originally shipped with this map.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
With a guide to understand where you need to go, Zelda 1 is not that hard (well, the final dungeon is brutal tho, and it's a fucking maze). Never tried the second quest.

Zelda 2, even with a guide, is fucking brutal.

Early BOTW can be hard too.

The other ones are fine. Majora's Mask last two dungeons can be tricky because of the time limit.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Anyone who doesn't say the NES games (or CDI games) must not have played them. The biggest problem I have with the Zelda franchise is that the games, besides the first few and the beginning of BotW, are far too easy. Normally I wouldn't have a problem with a game being a cakewalk but nearly everything you do in Zelda is done so you can get items that make the game even easier. I don't need a million hearts, more powerful swords, more magic, or broken magic attacks in most of these games. They're easy enough as is. I never saw the game over screen in any Zelda game that isn't Zelda 1, 2, or BotW and I don't mean that to brag because I'm sure a lot of people can relate.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda 2, obviously.

I don't understand how op finds TP difficult. Was it even possible to die in that game? It's certainly more difficult than WW, but that's not saying much...
I died early on against the Twilight monsters when I had 3 hearts. Didn't die afterwards. 2nd easiest Zelda game for me.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Zelda II

Also the weakest and only so-so game in the series.

But outside the obvious ones (original and 2), it was Majora's Mask to me.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
"Zelda wit a 2, yeah that Zelda is hard
Harder than Link trying to impress God" ~Andre 3k

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Hello everyone

I've been doing a zeldathon this month and reached to Twilight Princess now. I found that what really made me feel that TP is a bit hard compared to the other installations is its dark, bleak atmosphere throughtout the whole game. I can't keep playing more than 1 hour sometimes because the gloomy feeling in is so powerful and dominating. (TP is in my top 5 btw)

So, tell me yours and why?
TP is one of the easiest imo. I only died once, against Zant, solely because I was being stupid. WW, I never once saw the game over screen. Minish Cap was also piss easy too.

BotW is probably the hardest I've played, in the early parts. I haven't played Zelda 2.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. Zelda games aren't actually all that hard for the most part, but this one actually is.

StrmSrg

Oct 26, 2017
Louisiana
The only correct answer is Zelda 2.

Death Mountain earns its title and then some and the final temple is a horrible gauntlet with ridiculously tough bird monsters for some reason.

Tragically, it's also the only one to use a lives system for maximum frustration.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
It's Zelda 2, but only because the death penalty was stronger back then. I actually died the most in BotW, but since the game plops you 5 steps back from where you died it never really hurt that much. Then you learn how to abuse the food system, etc

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Zelda 2 isn't all that hard

Until you get to Death Mountain and the game just kicks you in the dick over and over and over again
The only correct answer is Zelda 2.

Death Mountain earns its title and then some and the final temple is a horrible gauntlet with ridiculously tough bird monsters for some reason.

Tragically, it's also the only one to use a lives system for maximum frustration.

Like a number of other games at the time (Kid Icarus comes to mind) Zelda II's difficulty is loaded towards the beginning, before you get the health and abilities to really manage (the downward thrust being the most useful for mitigating difficulty.) Though the Great Palace and the journey to get there is another huge spike in challenge.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Probably Zelda 1, just because of how obtuse it could be at times.

I cleared Zelda 2 much quicker. I still try and play it every year or so as Z2 is one of my fave games.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
I've only completed Zelda (NES), Zelda II (NES), Zelda aLttP (SNES). Played little bit of BotW but felt easy. For me, Zelda II was the hardest game.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
Zelda 2 by a mile - but it's mostly because the curve is all f'ed up, if difficulty is 1-10, where 1 is easy and 10 is brutal, the game goes like

1 9 2 2 3 7 4 4 10 10 10

If it was adjusted right it would be just normal NES game hard, instead it's a nightmare at points.

That being said, I sorta adore it.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Hardest: Zelda II. I don't think there's any way possible to go to the last palace without losing all your lives. Thankfully you can continue from the last palace if you lose all your lives there.

2nd hardest: Zelda 1, in particular its second quest. They throw out the big enemies right from level 2. They have Gibdos in that level... You need to hit a Gibdo seven times with your sword to kill it, and if it touches you, that's two hearts gone. Now imagine doing this in a room of 5 or 6 of them, with only 4 heart containers. That's the Second Quest.

3rd hardest: Breath of the Wild. The game is smartly designed for you to go around any challenges too tough for you, or to mitigate the difficulty with cooking and stuff, but it's still pretty tough.

4th hardest: A Link to the Past. It's not terribly hard, but it has some very tricky sections and tough parts. For instance, the Octoroks take a whole heart away from you from the beginning of the game when you have 4 hearts. And that ice level is really tough for some reason.

Havok

Oct 27, 2017
Northern VA
as already said many times, it's 1 or 2.

None of the other games really have difficulty at all unless you handicap yourself on purpose

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Zelda 2, though i beat it,. But Skyward Sword I legit stopped playing because i couldnt get a handle on the controls.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
Its Zelda 2 and its not particularly close.

That said, personally, Spirit Tracks gets an honorable mention just because mic blowing in that game was a god damn nightmare and I've never been able to beat the game because of it.

rasu

Dec 22, 2017
Zelda II for sure, but, as some have already said, it's also one of the best in the series. I funking love that damn game