• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
Can't say COD4 was easy, especially given the percentile of people with those trophies unlocked on PS4. I'm proud haha.

Hardest game you've ever finished?

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
This is embarrassing, I feel like I haven't finished too many genuinely difficult games. Mega Man 2? Gunstar Heroes? Shin Megami Tensei IV? Zelda 1?

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Probably The Witness. The final challenge took me like eight hours of constant playing to finally do and it's not like you can use a guide either.

Sep 14, 2018
Hmm I remember Nocturne being very difficult for young me, I've never replayed it so idk if it was a me thing.

Wait I can't believe I forgot, 3rd Birthday on Insane, it is incredibly challenging even with a maxed out board, like unbalancedly challenging.

Last edited:

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
doom on the snes or prince of persia on the 48k ( also my first ever game i finished). probably played harder over the years but they stick out when others dont.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Sekiro was a bitch to beat but on subsequent playthroughs it's not too bad. But also Bloodborne and Nioh was though, particularly to platinum. Other souls games aren't too difficult when you've beaten the first and kinda know the formula.

I have never beaten a game on hardest difficulty I think since most games feels unfair and unbalanced on higher difficulties. Too many instances where you get one shot without telling what instakilled u.

_Aaron_

Oct 29, 2017
Dark Souls?

According to TrueAchievements that's the game with highest ratio that I have 100% achievements on.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
Resident Evil 6. Can't believe I saw it through to the end without puking. That was some effort !

Dont @ me.
Probably Dark Souls

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I can't think of one. If a game is hard, I don't finish it. Maybe XCOM 2? It's not that hard but probably the hardest game I finished.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Zelda 2. Sucker's the closest I've ever gotten to rage quitting a game, oh my god.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Bloodbourne including the Dlc.

Jedi fallen order was really ttough depending on difficulty settings. I spent a couple of hours mastering some of the boss fights.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Not a game entirely, but the Defiled Chalice Dungeons from Bloodborne still haunt me to this day.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Demon's Souls (first Souls I played)
Bloodborne (+DLC)
SMT3: Nocturne (first SMT, some of the dungeons and save points were brutal)
Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter (I took a breath after beating it alright, holy shit, so fucking hard at the end)
Mega Man X7 (what a slog)
Rocket Knight Adventures (on Super Hard difficulty - one hit and game over)
Dynamite Headdy (the back half of this game is something else)
SMT: Strange Journey (these dungeons and bosses...)

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Hmm nothing in particular stands out. Done stuff like Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 on Master Ninja. Celeste chapter 9 is surely the hardest platforming I've ever done, being like a 13 hour long gruelling gauntlet requiring absolute mastery. All FromSoft games, but they're not too bad tbh. Wipeout HD and Omega all trophies. Metal Gear Rising all trophies, Vanquish challenge 6. Some frustration but I feel like everything I've done was very doable still.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
when i was a kid, probably t2 judgement day for mega drive. those pesky controls were simply annoying.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
This shit right here. So many different kinds of jumps and you have to memorise the level perfectly and know when to go quickly and when you have to wait a moment to let the lava/ice move a bit further.

My proudest platinum even if there's no way to know if you've done it legit or not seeing the game has an easy mode that doesn't disable trophies.

Sekiro was a baby game in comparison.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
xcom series i guess
i also beat many SMT games but i dont think theyre really hard? or at least they werent on the difficulty i usually play

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm old and not great at games so am proud of demon's souls completion at launch and bloodborne (platinum, which unlike basic completion requires some tough fights where you can't summon help).

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
God of War (2018) on the hardest difficulty was the hardest game i have ever finished. Nothing else i have played and finished made me struggle that much.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
If beating Through the Fire and Flames on expert in Guitar Hero 3 counts as finishing it then probably that. Hell, even beating the Devil on expert is a feat.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
A no damage run of Mega Man 10 I guess? I've cleared several of the so called "hard" NES games like Turtles, Contra (no cheats) Ninja Gaiden, Ghosts n Goblins etc. but I don't really think those are quite as hard as people make them out to be. Or maybe I just have too much time on my hands to learn them proper!

Xia

Banned
Feb 1, 2020
Very hard question. Maybe... Tecmo Cup Soccer on NES? I still can't believe I actually beat that as a kid.

KingPat

Apr 29, 2019
California
Hardest game? I mean bloodborne was challenging but I normally play games on the highest difficulty to get the most bang for my buck. The uncharted games on crushing(brutal is just dumb), last of us on grounded, Halo's on legendary, gears's on insane, call of duty's on veteran, the last god of war was extremely rewarding but again so was bloodborne and I haven't really played any of the other souls games. There are other games but I can't really think of one that was the hardest. I mean sure they were difficult at times but I got through them.

Time and Eternity was REALLY bad
Oh God I can't believe you could muster the strength to finish that train wreck

Quasaromega

Oct 29, 2017
Sekiro is definitely up there... I'm working towards 100% achievements in In Death, and that one's pretty damn hard (PSVR rougelike). Almost killed the ultra-tough optional boss in Digital Devil Saga once, but almost doesn't cut it lol

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Probably The Witness. The final challenge took me like eight hours of constant playing to finally do and it's not like you can use a guide either.
Whoa. When I read the title, the first game that popped to mind was I Wanna Be The Guy, but thinking about it more... The Witness is definitely a contender for me, too. That game is challenging in a whole different way than most "traditionally hard" games. Excellent choice.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne. Not a Dark Souls veteran so the difficulty was quite punishing, but I persevered, partly because the setting is so amazing - it ticked all the right boxes with me.

Call of Duty 2 Veteran difficulty also took a lot of dying and save-scumming, lol.

Wish I'd finish Ninja Gaiden NES. Got close, but no cigar.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Otogi on the Xbox and probably sekiro. Otogi has a really really hard final boss.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
you mean difficult as in requiring skills or difficult as in cumbersome, requiring bruteforcing and thousands lives lost?

If it is the former, it is probably some 2d/3d fighting games on hard difficulty trying to play fair and square against the CPU.

If it is the latter, Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams. I reached the finale but was so angry at the game that I stopped there. That was before the patch that made the requirements easier. They thought that those old computer platformers were difficult because they were for skilled players, while the truth is they were difficult because of bad game design and lack of qa. Unfortunately that mentality spread to all those newer indie platformers.