• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
2020 in general is seeing a decent rise in female protagonists in games. Be it Jill Valentine in the upcoming remake of Resident Evil 3, Alyx Vance taking the lead in Half Life: Alyx, Ellie taking the spotlight in The Last of Us: Part II, or Kamala Khan/Ms. Marvel becoming the protagonist of the upcoming Avengers game from Square-Enix.

But in general, I want to honor some of the biggest women in gaming, both in games this year & beyond. I'd might as well start with one of my personal favorites, Chun-Li.

The First Lady of Fighting Games, Chun-Li has been a staple in Street Fighter games since her debut in Street Fighter II (well, aside from the first 2 SFIII games, but that flaw was corrected in Third Strike). It says a lot about how iconic Chun-Li is when she's one of only two characters to maintain perfect attendance within the Versus series alongside Ryu. It's honestly a crime that she isn't in Smash yet, but I can somewhat understand why. But if any third-party franchise deserves a 2nd rep, it's Street Fighter with Chun-Li, but I've gone over that plenty elsewhere.

Gotta give another nod to Twintelle.

Switch_ARMS_characterart_06.png

It's not often that Nintendo brings forward prominent women of color in their games, but they really did a great job with Twintelle.

So what about you all? Who among the pantheon of women in gaming do you want to give props to?

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Shout out to Yunica from Ys Origin
Yunica.jpg

Caving in demon skulls with her mighty axe and wearing them power limiting oven mittens so as to not shatter the entire tower with every swing of her ax.

Also the true Empress of SNK
ce05fc33006d825d67d4e7f6a42d86ea.jpg

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm sure the important characters are going to get mentioned by others, but here's a recent favorite of mine from a game i'm currently playing. Honor Mizrahi from murder by numbers.

esvq3h8xsaetkotvwkrq.jpeg

also kinda related, why are CDPR celebrating women's day with this pic?

Last edited:

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
Ellie's story had an hard impact for me as a man and it's still the only time a character story strike me so hard.
Fantastic character.

1267287.jpg

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Infinite love for Alexandra Roivas from Eternal Darkness.

Can't wait to play as Hornet in Hollow Knight Silksong!

Lady is badass great in DMC3! (Let's not talk about 4 and 5, tho...)

DngqQzLVsAAAd5z.jpg

And let's not forget Celeste - erm - Madeline!

celeste-icon.jpg
At least Lady was playable in 4: Special Edition.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Noice, I like this thread.
Don't forget to celebrate ladies that aren't made of polygons & pixels as well!

www.resetera.com

International Women's Day 2020: We're here for our RIGHTS, but not for your purplewashing.

Yo, so today is International Women's Day and since no one had made a thread yet (I'm side-eyeing y'all right now), here goes! Official website: https://www.internationalwomensday.com/ What is happening today around the world to celebrate it? Well you can read about that it here...

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
estelle_bright_sczbj1u.jpg

Estelle Bright from Trails in the Sky is the best JRPG protagonist. Active personality, foils constantly with other people and is always fun to watch. Her combat prowess is unique, but mostly integrated in a believable fashion that doesn't label her as the "Chosen One" or "Strongest Being" chaff I usually have to suffer.

It's a grand rarity in Japanese-based RPG titles, so her existence is one of the few blessings we have from it. This standout quality extends in comparison to other entries in the respective Kiseki series as well.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Tifa is the best. She's kind, has great chemistry with the rest of the cast, gets a lot of cool moments in the story, knows how to make good cocktails and kicks major ass. Plus she's got the best fight scene in Advent children.
Really looking forward to play as her all the time in the remake.
AngryTemptingHound-size_restricted.gif

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
+1 for Estelle. She really is the best JRPG protag not to mention one of the few who are women and not overly sexualized.

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
latest

Alis Landale (or Alisa, depending on which translation you prefer), the heroine of Sega's flagship RPG series Phantasy Star. Her story is about as simple as a game can get in 1987, but the fact that she was prominently featured in mainstream video game media at that time (her game arrived in the US even before any of Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest games!) is an achievement of itself.

hotaru-gfix.jpg

Hotaru Futaba from SNK's fighting game Fatal Fury series. Canonically she only appeared in the series' last game Garou: Mark of the Wolves (unless you count KOF stuff), but I think her design is a good example of the elegance SNK was known for.

That, and her sprite animation is adorable.

hotaru-weee.gif

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Hmm. Came in thinking it was going to be real people, like game devs or something.
The phrasing "gaming's best ladies" tipped me off; it would be kinda condescending to refer to real people like that, but just fine for characters.

Seconded on Madeline, one of the best characters in any video game. Samus is fucken cool too

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Lara Croft (Shadow of the Tomb Raider)

uIQ3EL9.jpg

Max Caulfield (Life is Strange)

m39Q0Jf.png

Moira (Overwatch)

dims

Skarlet (Mortal Kombat 11)

YQ6AzkE.jpg

D'Vorah (Mortal Kombat 11)

xwk4Vqk.jpg

Sindel (Mortal Kombat 11)

BzGNGHW.jpg

Last edited:

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
It's hard to get into why I think Elisabet Sobeck is such a wonderful, deep, meaningful character in Horizon without spoilers but I'll try.

She's smart, giving and isn't afraid of decisions even when they're drastic. She's empathetic. She realizes early on in her journey that in order to succeed and make sure mistakes are not repeated that people need access to information. She doesn't hold back. While others argue about who is responsible for something, she just does it. She's altruistic while knowing she would never see the results of it. She's truly brave and what I consider a model of what human beings should be. And she's humble enough that she'd be embarrassed by such praise.

In today's day and age a world where scientists can make important situations seems hard to fathom but I hope we get there and there are more women in the world like her.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Some great picks already but let's not forget the queen: Kat from Gravity Rush
gravity-rush-remastered-two-column-01-ps4-eu-26oct15

Atoi from Tearaway

atoi.png

Assassin's Creed Syndicate would be awful without her, Evie Frye.

latest

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
I liked all of the R&C characters, Sasha and Angela were particularly memorable.

ratchet_and_clank__girls_by_miralith_dbt26iv-fullview.jpg

The Witcher has great women

869d5165ecba435274747f67f646b2ed.jpg

Magister Sieran from GW2 is so bubbly and curious.
I was sad when she died and the game would be better off with her still in it.

tumblr_nngjf5cf0F1tvcy7yo1_1280.jpg

Oct 30, 2017
Didn't know that was today. By coincidence today is probably the day that I play some videogames with my GF for the first time.

Obviously gotta represent best girl Kassandra here

6d393d137f99586950388e0bc094b9b1.gif

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Breaking the glass ceiling in the world of British Espionage one unsold monkey at a time
Cate Archer from No One Lives Forever
Cg6djCR.gif

Last edited:

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Beatrix-ffix.png

I thought Beatrix was the coolest character in FFIX, I was disappointed she never became a permanent party member.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I really, really love the female characters in the Witcher books and the games (Witcher 1+2+3+Thronebreaker).. easily one of my favorite, doesn't matter which type of media
mqxtkbkck3431.jpg

446dc2c43431e6185d618f2fe006d9e8.jpg

Numbmind+used+roll+picturenumbmind+rolled+image+looks+like+he+ate+_1f356059e6dc2f566bb54c3344b0ad66.jpg

EQ4XXraSp0_M5B4vas2a0bhMuvI8UfA6oOjvpi5enqg.jpg

Alice from Alice Madness Returns
MuufIbZ_390x400_1x-0.jpg

Mona Sax from Max Payne 1+2
mona_sax_sex_by_brkill3r_d9w21zg-fullview.jpg

Jesse from Control
latest

Amicia from A Plague Tale
latest

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Lara Croft will always be the Queen of gaming for me. I've been playing through 2013 and Rise the last couple of months on Stadia and has started with Shadow now, such an underrated serie and Lara is great in both the old and new form.