• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Who have been really knocking it out of the park for you this year? What games are must plays in your opinion? MOBAs, FPS, 3rd person action adventure, puzzles, strategy, RPGs, fighters, side scrollers, platformers, MMOs, you name it - what are the standouts for you personally?

Nov 4, 2017
Pretty much all the first party Nintendo and Sony studios for me.

Edit: I should probably clarify that my opinion of these studios is high as of 2019. Obviously most of them haven't released games this year.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Square Enix's FFXIV team and Digital Extremes are doing the work the multiplayer industry needs.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo
Naughty Dog
FROM
KojiPro
Team Cherry
Matt Makes Games
Jonathan Blow

Have fun on this Happy Friday :)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If we're talking studios who are doing things in 2019, pretty much just the FFXIV team. I haven't played that much else this year that's impressed me. Just a boring, bland year.

As for my favorite studios ever...that's more complicated.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I think the only one that knocks me out is FromSoft.

I've played some amazing games this gen, some of my favorites ever, and they've definitely positioned me to eagerly anticipate whatever they're doing next. Santa Monica, Guerilla, Capcom, Nintendo, etc. But FromSoft is the only dev where I can confidently assume I am going to absolutely love whatever they're working on and have loved almost everything they've done for the last many years.

But I think this has been such an amazing generation for some studios. Even longtime studios have produced some of the best games they've ever made. I think that's been incredible. I'm pretty excited to see what's next for a lot of different companies.

But From is my only stan brand.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom. RE2 and DMC5 were amazing fun games, especially RE2 since I was kinda underestimating it prior to release and it blew me away. DMC5 is probably one of the best playing games this gen with Dante being the best controlling stylish/character action character to date. Iceborne looks ace as always but I won't be playing it until the PC release.

They've definitely been on a roll.

Oct 27, 2017
CAPGOD has been amazing this year, between RE2, DMC5, and soon to be Iceborne. RGG Studio is always doing great work with Yakuza/Judgment year in, year out.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
From Software is objectively one of the best studios this gen. No other company has had the consistency and variety of their games.

Oct 26, 2017
Platinum
Arc System Works
Studio RGG
Remedy
Naughty Dog
Rocksteady

EDIT: Capcom is winning me back with the RE and DMC franchises. Marvel 4 when?

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I've basically been Team Sony all generation long so essentially almost all of Sony's exclusive studios if we're being real. The only game that hasn't clicked with me is Days Gone but I plan to give it a second go sometime soon.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom keeping the dream alive for tightly designed, not absurdly long, AAA single player campaigns 🙌

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From Software is objectively one of the best studios this gen. No other company has had the consistency and variety of their games.
I'm a big fan of their output this gen but I'm gonna have to call bullshit on no other company being as varied as FS's games this gen. Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Sekiro all feel like different iterations of the fundamental ideas established in Demon Souls. Consistency on the other hand? Hell yeah. Technical issues aside FS has been on top for consistently fantastic games with great commercial and critical success.

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Ever since Demon's Souls, From Software has become my fav studio of all time. This gen alone Bloodbourne has become my game of the gen and in my top 10 best games of all time and Sekiro is now my joint fav action game of all time alongside Ninja Gaiden Black.

With Dark Souls 3 a return to form after the blip that was Dark Souls 2

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
From Soft is in an interesting place for me as an Armored Core stan. I'm really happy for their success and I love souls like games, but AC is my favorite series from them and I'm missing it like hell, especially after V and VD not being that great.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
These days Capcom is at the top for me, they've been doing amazing work ever since Resident Evil 7.
Really hope they can keep this up.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
From Soft is in an interesting place for me as an Armored Core stan. I'm really happy for their success and I love souls like games, but AC is my favorite series from them and I'm missing it like hell, especially after V and VD not being that great.

I am dyslexic and very sleepy and I read this like ten times until it finally clicked you said Armored Core and not Animal Crossing.

I was so so confused.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Naughty Dog
CD Projekt Red
Sony Santa Monica
Supergiant
Guerrilla
Insomniac
Bungie

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
For just this year so far? Capcom.....and that is about it so far.

If you mean all time.

Nintendo
Insomniac
Naughty Dog
Sony Santa Monica
Square
Blizzard :(
Bamco
From

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Capcom
Larian
FROM
Enhance, Inc.
NetherRealm
Beenox, just for Crash Team Racing

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Capcom
PlstinumGames
Nintendo
Square Enix
Are my favorites, i would throw a few more but they haven't released anything in awhile

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
CDPR (still because TW3 still has an impact and influenced me on how I want to have open world RPGs).

Remedy. I like their minimalistic gameplay approach that focuses on the narrative and does what it does so damn well. I also love their weird stories.

Naughty Dog. For offering such fantastic adventure trips with top-notch character interaction, animations and smooth and well-polished gameplay. Fun to play, exciting to watch.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
DONTNOD, IO Interactive and RGG Studio have all had a great year or two, for my own personal tastes anyway.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Just a single post has mentioned Arkane so far. So I need to write it in capital letters: ARKANE!
Not a single post mentioning Ninja Theory?! NINJA THEORY! :P

Also: CD Project Red, Nintendo, Monolith Soft, From Software, Larian Studios, Ninja Theory, Remedy, Capcom, Sony Santa Monica, Platinum Games. Lots of RPG powerhouses. I like a lot more studios but these are the one's I like multiple franchises from. IO Interactive is also quickly becoming a new fave of mine. Expecting good things from Obsidian and inXile in the future, too. I also enjoy the stealthy gameplay of Eidos, although they have been a bit hit and miss with their games this gen.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Never been much a fan of their current output as everyone else seems to be, the stuff I played(DS3, BB sand Sekiro) are just ok but man......Armored Core was some next level goodness. That and From's other mech games made them my favorite devs for a time until they stop producing them and focused on making Souls like games. Though with their newfound popularity I hope they can now make a bigger budget Armored Core as a result.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Ice-Pick Lodge - they of Pathologic, The Void, Knock Knock fame. it's been them for a long while now regardless of their eventual fate