• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
398c6fc1-68a9-4398-9d5kp7.jpeg

acruztic

Mar 10, 2020
perhaps wills dad in fresh prince ? Forgot exactly why he left will, but it gave us a great scene with uncle Phil afterwards.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Dr. Doom. Beyond just being a generally shitty and abusive father to Kristoff, berating and/or outright assaulting the kid for nothing more than the "crime" of wounding his fragile ego, turns out Doom's idea of making Kristoff his heir in the first place meant that, in case of Victor's demise, his Doombots would override the boys brain with Doom's own memories and intellect, ensuring his own survival at the expense of Kristoff's very existence.

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who doesn't follow Dragon Ball that closely, whats with everyone saying Goku? What's he done? Lol.

Edit: Nevermind. Just found the thread about Goku as a father lol.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
latest

Shadi Smith

-Hides evidence from his lawyer that would've cleared both their names
-Abandons his daughter, entrusting her to that same attorney he ruined. Also because he never discussed any of that with said attorney, he had no way of knowing the attorney would take her in instead of sending her to an orphanage. His plan was entirely meant to exploit and abuse the attorney's altruism for his own convenience
-Shows up seven years later to rig a card game with the express purpose of ruining that attorney again, after he raised his daughter for him which, again, was done solely out of the goodness of his heart
-Beats a woman with glass bottle
-Regularly beats his best friend and only confidant
-Shot his wife (probably) and made no effort to try to locate her when she suddenly went missing
-Got blood on perfectly good poker cards

This guy, is a JERK!!

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Kinzo Ushiromiya from Umineko
latest
Yeah. Honestly the only fathers worse than this guy is the one that involves supernatural human experimentation like Shou Tucker. I mean otherwise, can't be worse than the rapes of his illegitimate daughter and all the horrible things he did to his other kids

Last edited:

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
latest

Marty Armstrong is sadly not one-of-a-kind terrible, but he is terrible.
Fucking good pick. Maybe not worse than some of the other dads in this thread, but the act of (content warning, vile shit ahead) beating your son, raping your daughter and making your son participate and/or watch is truly abhorrent.

I think the fact that he isn't one-of-a-kind terrible makes it even worse because people like that definitely exist. You're not going to find a guy out there alchemically fusing his daughter with the family pet, but there are Marty's everywhere.

Ishmael

Oct 27, 2017
Yujiro-Hanma-Wallpaper-14.jpg

Yujiro Hanma goes around having kids just to make potential opponents for him to fight in the future. He then beats said kids into bloody pulps for being being too weak to offer him a real challenge.
I feel that in his own toxic masculine way Yujiro grew into a surprisingly attentive father. He receives regular US military reports on his boy's training, joined a martial arts tournament to keep track of Baki while he was poisoned and even dropped in unannounced to cheer on his son's sex life. When you are the world's strongest creature how else are you going to raise your kid? True, Yujiro doesn't care about Jack but nobody cares about Jack.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Dr. Doom. Beyond just being a generally shitty and abusive father to Kristoff, berating and/or outright assaulting the kid for nothing more than the "crime" of wounding his fragile ego, turns out Doom's idea of making Kristoff his heir in the first place meant that, in case of Victor's demise, his Doombots would override the boys brain with Doom's own memories and intellect, ensuring his own survival at the expense of Kristoff's very existence.

He's a pretty good uncle tho

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Doom's clear favoritism towards Valeria is part of why I'm so bitter about his treatment of Kristoff.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm not super into comics so I never even heard of Kristoff until this thread lol.

Also I feel like Goku is a meme answer and also just... not correct? Don't get me wrong, he's clearly a pretty poor father, but there's way, waaaaay worse.

chatsquared

Nov 19, 2020

Clay Puppington from Moral Orel
Clay is in a league of his own in terms of bad parenting. I'm trying to compare him to some of the other dads in this thread and it almost feels unfair.

Honestly, this discussion was always going to generally trend towards super-powered weirdos in fiction, but I almost want to say that Clay is disqualified from consideration just because, goddamn, his disfunction as a husband and father just hits too real.
Yeah, I think that's it. Clay is such a scary accurate representation of an abusive father that trying to compare him to someone like Goku or Omniman is really difficult. I can't imagine someone's real life dad abandoning them to go train with space wizards but I don't have to just imagine a dad like Clay Puppington, you know?

Happy Father's Day, y'all!

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Tony Soprano

Was going to say Don Draper, he seems like he tries with Sally but doesn't he basically ignore baby Gene for the rest of the series?

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
latest

Shadi Smith

-Hides evidence from his lawyer that would've cleared both their names
-Abandons his daughter, entrusting her to that same attorney he ruined. Also because he never discussed any of that with said attorney, he had no way of knowing the attorney would take her in instead of sending her to an orphanage. His plan was entirely meant to exploit and abuse the attorney's altruism for his own convenience
-Shows up seven years later to rig a card game with the express purpose of ruining that attorney again, after he raised his daughter for him which, again, was done solely out of the goodness of his heart
-Beats a woman with glass bottle
-Regularly beats his best friend and only confidant
-Shot his wife (probably) and made no effort to try to locate her when she suddenly went missing
-Got blood on perfectly good poker cards

This guy, is a JERK!!
Honestly nothing about his character makes sense with the exception of him being a grade-A asshole.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
What's his face in Game of Thrones setting his own daughter on fire just cos the Red Woman told him to.

Jesus I've completely forgot his name.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kamen Rider has a thing with shitty dads (or disappeared or dead dads)...basically as the writers say because the original Kamen Rider's "dad" was Shocker, the organization he fought against.

One of the standout ones that isn't even a villain is Eiji's dad from OOOs. Don't even see the dude but in the backstory he basically uses his wealth to fund a civil war in a third war country, and then when his son gets held ransom uses that as basically a political plot.

Of course then there's straight up villain dads like Dr. Banno from Drive and Masamune Dan from Ex-Aid.

But while the recent series have some decent daddy's, Rider has a big concentration of shitty dads.