• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
This isn't just about crunch, but crunch really brings out the defensiveness. I hope mods can get some messaging together to help prevent the ignorant defenses of these corporations.

This is a broader issue that is coming up every time a beloved company like Naughty Dog or Rockstar get called out because their own employees tell journalists that there are issues with how employees are treated or expected to change their lives at the behest of a broken labor culture. Right now, CDPR is getting appropriate scrutiny for deliberately approaching media to claim they wouldn't have mandatory crunch, and then as their team has swelled after enticing people and their release approaches, they quietly say internally they are switching to mandatory crunch. This isn't a poor company - the owner is worth over a billion dollars and they take in massive capital.

But some seem defensive and offended when people discuss problems. They say 'Ubisoft apologized,' or 'my friend loves working in the Amazon Warehouses,' or 'I pick up overtime at work because that's normal just like most developers do voluntarily.'

Trash responses. All dismissive.

There's really not some movement that thinks you can't buy from studios that crunch or have scandals, as respectable as that decision would be. Many of us know there needs to be top-down regulation of these managers - boycotts may never solve it. And there's really no one who thinks overtime can't ever be allowed or that it doesn't have legitimate causes in how games are budgeted and scheduled. But it is very much necessary to address that these issues exist, and they should be addressed in favor of the workers.

On crunch specifically:
We know for a fact developers have lost time, mental wellbeing, and relationships over crunch culture. Just today we are seeing that CDPR is apologizing to spouses in an email from June - before the mandatory crunch started. And they aren't the first developer that's had to do so, that's not just fair to admit, that's important. This is toxic, full stop. It does not need defense, and the people who have no qualms with their employer do not get a say on whether the ones who have been exploited get any attempts from their employers or the industry to mitigate the problems.

There is no such thing as volunteer crunch. These companies do not give employees control, no matter how nice it sounds for a manager to claim "the employees chose it, not me." They do not let the employees choose delays. If one says no to more work, the manager will ask another person until it happens.

It is hurting people, and no happy devs get say over this repeatedly breaking others. Not for crunch, not for harassment, not for abuse, not for poor labor conditions of any kind.

If your favorite studio has a problem and we know they are causing exasperation and pain to employees, please shut up about some of their colleagues being perfectly well-treated or you loving overtime.

Devs:

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
100% That whole thread by Sam Maggs is really good.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone would go to bat for crunch, but rather they don't want to confront the implication that A Game They Like, made by A Company They Like, was built by worker exploitation, so they have to twist themselves in knots to justify why it's okay.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
If you've ever worked in a toxic environment there's always one or two little suck-ups and brown nosers who will make out like everything's alright and great.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A Game They Like, made by A Company They Like, was built by worker exploitation,
Well I think in CDPR's case most of the people denying it don't care at all about that, they just don't like that the company they've built up as the best one out there can be reasonably argued as having done some bad shit.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Honestly, one of the only solutions I see is reducing the scope of games, we expect way too much out of them nowadays. A 10-12 hours long linear experience or a 25-30-hour long open world experience should be enough. As long as we keep expecting these huge masterpieces with lots of content for hours upon hours, this will keep happening. And I don't mean to say that it is out fault as consumers for wanting more, I mean it in the sense that the industry as a whole (publishers and consumers) should understand this and maybe try to work towards more achievable projects within more resonable resources (time and people).

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
It's all about moderation.

Crunch for a few weeks to a couple months every now and again (with pay and/or other benefits to compensate of course) is something I don't mind and I've partaken in a lot, some voluntary and other mandatory, it sucks but looking back it was not as bad as I figured it was there and then.
Of course if you have a young kid and such this will be especially bad but in small doses there really is no issues, the issue arise when it's long hours, no compensation for 4-5+ months or even years at a time, that is unacceptable.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But hey people! I'm a well-paid crunched employee in this or other industry and I'm happy doing that (da money) so that renders this as a non-issue! Let's back to talk about the videogame!

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Honestly, one of the only solutions I see is reducing the scope of games, we expect way too much out of them nowadays. A 10-12 hours long linear experience or a 25-30-hour long open world experience should be enough. As long as we keep expecting these huge masterpieces with lots of content for hours upon hours, this will keep happening. And I don't mean to say that it is out fault as consumers for wanting more, I mean it in the sense that the industry as a whole (publishers and consumers) should understand this and maybe try to work towards more achievable projects within more resonable resources (time and people).

It's tough. Capitalism is built on competition and I imagine a lot of development companies aren't willing to adhere to things that will hamstring them unless their competition agrees to it as well. It's either going to be where they reach a breaking point, probably a workers union striking against their employers and that would need to cause ripple effects throughout the industry or it will require some kind of government funded research into AI that does things more efficiently. My concern with the AI though is they may just work similar grueling hours but employ fewer people because Capitalism is built on the profit motive as well and that would be the more efficient thing to do. I also don't see the market coming up with this AI on its own because generally the private market stays away from major long term projects where there is no guarantee to see a big return on that time investment.

I think under a Capitalist system, you have to hope that worker co-ops or worker unions form and they simply say enough is enough with the grueling hours, it's going to be difficult to go against the will of the shareholders though.

Oct 29, 2017
I just wish people didn't feel the need to go to the ramparts in defense of their favorite companies. Buy the game, enjoy the game, that's your decision. It's possible to do that and still acknowledge that your favorite company isn't perfect and might deserve some criticism.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's all about moderation.

Crunch for a few weeks to a couple months every now and again (with pay and/or other benefits to compensate of course) is something I don't mind and I've partaken in a lot, some voluntary and other mandatory, it sucks but looking back it was not as bad as I figured it was there and then.
Of course if you have a young kid and such this will be especially bad but in small doses there really is no issues, the issue arise when it's long hours, no compensation for 4-5+ months or even years at a time, that is unacceptable.
any amount of crunch is a project management fail. of course, project management is not infallible and will frequently not go according to plan - being able to respond to the progress going off course effectively is a big part of being a good project manager, and having to make tough decisions is part of that. but it seems like the compromise most game studios are unwilling to make is scope. so they just pour resources and people into it, despite the cost of that decision from a human perspective.

part of this is the inflated standards of aaa, but there needs to be a concerted effort to develop and plan in ways that reduce this. endemic crunch is project management failure.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
any amount of crunch is a project management fail. of course, project management is not infallible and will frequently not go according to plan - being able to respond to the progress going off course effectively is a big part of being a good project manager, and having to make tough decisions is part of that. but it seems like the compromise most game studios are unwilling to make is scope. so they just pour resources and people into it, despite the cost of that decision from a human perspective.
I don't disagree but also don't entirely agree, it all depends on a giant multitude of factors and it shouldn't be common place for a company to crunch, but that it may happen from time to time is just how things go sometimes when something happens and you have deadlines.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
100% true. Crunch should be discouraged/opposed by management even if employees want it.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And what about...

If we stop creating excuses for corporations 🤔 ("It's not as bad", "pay or other benefits" "no issues in small doses")

They are forced to actually do better management of their projects 🤔 ("few weeks to a couple months", "every now and again")

Stop stretching their workforce thin and actually hire more people and account for realistic dates and/or schedules 🤔

And what if we do it so no one is forced or socially pressured, not only those we considered are the exception to the rule 🤔 ("if you have a young kid")

...Oh, right, companies won't make as much money.

We can't allow that. Let's give them our lives, they will pay us in cents.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I just wish people didn't feel the need to go to the ramparts in defense of their favorite companies. Buy the game, enjoy the game, that's your decision. It's possible to do that and still acknowledge that your favorite company isn't perfect and might deserve some criticism.
It's important when consuming any kind of media/creative work that you think about the people who actually made it. Living, breathing people. If I play Assassin's Creed and think about the marriages lost, the missed kids birthdays, the overall human cost, then maybe I'd actually appreciate the game more. Or at least get angry that something I fell in love with requires a human cost that great.

It's okay to demand better of the companies that make these things. It's okay to say, "I love your work, but you should have been treated better."

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen so much defending on cyberpunk crunch it's also the he usual people who go after any other dev if they do the same. Not gonna lie I live the hypocrisy on era, influencers and gaming sites.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
yeah boils my blood,
grown ass people trying to trivialize this crunch shit, so they can enjoy their petty consumer goods guilt free. fucking enablers

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
And what about...

If we stop creating excuses for corporations 🤔 ("It's not as bad", "pay or other benefits" "no issues in small doses")

They are forced to actually do better management of their projects 🤔 ("few weeks to a couple months", "every now and again")

Stop stretching their workforce thin and actually hire more people and account for realistic dates and/or schedules 🤔

And what if we do it so no one is forced or socially pressured, not only those we considered are the exception to the rule 🤔 ("if you have a young kid")

...Oh, right, companies won't make as much money.

We can't allow that. Let's give them our lives, they will pay us in cents.
I don't know what world you live in, but things don't always work out and it requires extra effort by people to complete it.
It's not realistic to hire 500 people when you usually need 300 because if the place have worker protections (unlike the US) the process to get rid of people ain't that simple and it's not feasible to keep 200 extra hands on deck for when you might need it.
And temporary hiring is sometimes done, but that wont grant that you manage to get the extra manpower you need to finish it up in time either, maybe you can only get a hold of 50 or so extra of the 200 you would theoretically need.

It's not about earning the company the most amount of money, overtime pay and everything is usually a bad thing as the costs are exponential and you should want to avoid it, but it's far less than having 200 on the payroll in standby for a year with nothing to do.

And as for "giving them our life" I go by my own goal of "work to live" not "live to work" and sometimes that means crunch, because if the company does well, my job is secure and I get better pay. Of course this is only speaking for myself, others may not be so well off but stop trying to make everyone out to be corporate apologists, cause that ain't it, it's not all black and white as much as you like to think so.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Crunch really sucks but I don't mind it"

lol

These people are ideal employees. I mean that. Employers love this "sacrifice yourself" mentality.

The fact that you say "it sucks" should be enough to make you question why you accept it.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

If Jason's prior reporting is any indication the problem almost universally seems to be management pushing devs to crunch. This stuff like many issues in project management is top down. A shorter game isn't going to necessarily solve that issue because the issue is systemic.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I've been lucky enough to have work I am passionate about and have made sacrifices to get it done.

I feel like a lot of you have never actually worked on something you are personally invested in. Which is fine - but as someone who has sacrificed as much as some game devs. I can safely say it was a very rewarding experience and something I felt lucky to be a part of.

If people want regular jobs that pay better. There are many other options. Nobody is working in this industry because they want the big bucks. If very talented, personally motivated staff want to work harder than others and in turn get paid more and realistically progress faster. Then I think that's fine. That's how things work in most industries. Also let's be real - it's no coincidence the best games largely come from companies that require crunch. Highly talented and motivated people who want perfection and are willing to sacrifice. That's the case across most creative industries btw guys. Top creatives sacrifice to get where they are. The videogames industry is a young persons game. If people keep pushing to clock in and out 9 to 5. Thats fine. But it won't work at the highest quality outputting companies and younger people who want it more and work harder will replace them.

Working in your dream industry isn't a right. And it is voluntary. No matter how many times people seem to say it isn't.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Completely agree with the OP. Give most employers an inch and they'll take a mile. Don't let crunch be normalized into your company culture. Eventually productivity will burn out after enough crunch and you'll end with a lot of mentally drained staff.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what world you live in, but things don't always work out and it requires extra effort by people to complete it.
It's not realistic to hire 500 people when you usually need 300 because if the place have worker protections (unlike the US) the process to get rid of people ain't that simple and it's not feasible to keep 200 extra hands on deck for when you might need it.
And temporary hiring is sometimes done, but that wont grant that you manage to get the extra manpower you need to finish it up in time either, maybe you can only get a hold of 50 or so extra of the 200 you would theoretically need.

It's not about earning the company the most amount of money, overtime pay and everything is usually a bad thing as the costs are exponential and you should want to avoid it, but it's far less than having 200 on the payroll in standby for a year with nothing to do.

And as for "giving them our life" I go by my own goal of "work to live" not "live to work" and sometimes that means crunch, because if the company does well, my job is secure and I get better pay. Of course this is only speaking for myself, others may not be so well off but stop trying to make everyone out to be corporate apologists, cause that ain't it, it's not all black and white as much as you like to think so.
does that boot taste good?
cuz it looks like it tastes good from here.

if your company needs to exploit labor to succeed and if you dont feel safe in your job without crunching, its not as secure as you think it is.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
If Jason's prior reporting is any indication the problem almost universally seems to be management pushing devs to crunch. This stuff like many issues in project management is top down. A shorter game isn't going to necessarily solve that issue because the issue is systemic.
I'm aware of that, I am among the people who've witnessed crunch in different industries (outside entertainment and software development) so yes, I agree it's a systemic problem, but I believe that, in a way, the solution has to be tackled depending on the type of deliverables related to a job profile. It's definitely not an issue that will be solved with a single solution like I'm suggesting, but I do think it could be one of the avenues to reducing it. Also, someone previously said that for something like that to work, all companies involved would have to agree, but the capitalistic nature of the market will make that virtually impossible, which I also agree with.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm aware of that, I am among the people who've witnessed crunch in different industries (outside entertainment and software development) so yes, I agree it's a systemic problem, but I believe that, in a way, the solution has to be tackled depending on the type of deliverables related to a job profile. It's definitely not an issue that will be solved with a single solution like I'm suggesting, but I do think it could be one of the avenues to reducing it. Also, someone previously said that for something like that to work, all companies involved would have to agree, but the capitalistic nature of the market will make that virtually impossible, which I also agree with.

I don't really see how all companies would have to agree to it as there are companies that do not experience crunch and seem to be doing just fine. Also I don't see how it's directly a capitalism issue because crunch doesn't seem to improve sales or increase profits. To me it seems more like the issue is cultural rather then economic.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, a big Fuck Off to these "umm excuse me but have you ever worked on something you love" posts. Can you be anymore condescending? Nevermind no one should have to say "here is all my experience in this industry so I can tell you overworking people can actually be a Bad Thing".

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
You'd think this would be common sense seeing as it applies to all workplaces not just the gaming industry but what can you do.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
does that boot taste good?
cuz it looks like it tastes good from here.

if your company needs to exploit labor to succeed and if you dont feel safe in your job without crunching, its not as secure as you think it is.
Boot tastes absolutely great I guess since you asked.
Nobody is exploiting anyone, we all get compensated for our time, the option is up to each person to make and I feel perfectly safe without crunching anything, it's not like I'm afraid I'd lose my job if something goes wrong and we fall behind on schedule because nobody crunched, but it surely adds to the over-all job security to manage to hit deadlines and avoid monetary penalties the company might get for failing to meet such deadline. It's not in anyone's best interest to fall behind, which is why I stated I don't mind it in moderated doses when it really is needed, but that for everyone to decide themselves really.
I've been lucky enough to have work I am passionate about and have made sacrifices to get it done.

I feel like a lot of you have never actually worked on something you are personally invested in. Which is fine - but as someone who has sacrificed as much as some game devs. I can safely say it was a very rewarding experience and something I felt lucky to be a part of.

If people want regular jobs that pay better. There are many other options. Nobody is working in this industry because they want the big bucks. If very talented, personally motivated staff want to work harder than others and in turn get paid more and realistically progress faster. Then I think that's fine. That's how things work in most industries. Also let's be real - it's no coincidence the best games largely come from companies that require crunch. Highly talented and motivated people who want perfection and are willing to sacrifice. That's the case across most creative industries btw guys. Top creatives sacrifice to get where they are. The videogames industry is a young persons game. If people keep pushing to clock in and out 9 to 5. Thats fine. But it won't work at the highest quality outputting companies and younger people who want it more and work harder will replace them.

Working in your dream industry isn't a right. And it is voluntary. No matter how many times people seem to say it isn't.
Luckily I enjoy most of my days too.

Last edited:

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
It's not magic. Rockstar, ND, CDPR, Bungie and many, many others are guilty of crunch. It is more likely than not that you favorite AAA game would not exist without it. Employees need better protections and fair compensation but the publishers/suits have the leverage here as someone else will be eager to take up your spot and that is at the heart of this problem.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is just worker exploitation apologia.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even in some utopic socialist fantasy land there's going to be some work that requires more time than originally planned.
Sure, which has nothing to do with saying stuff like "working in your dream industry isn't a right" and all the other garbage in that post. Being treated fairly in your workplace SHOULD be a right we guarantee to all workers, including all those workers in the games industry who have been exploited, whether that's through overwork or sexual harassment and abuse, mass layoffs or all the other terrible shit that happens in this industry.

The audacity to post garbage like this after everything we've learned about the industry in the last couple years is ludicrous.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The thing is that some devs fear retalation. What exactly an article about anonimous experience will achieve? A discussion in the community? Meanwhile, what stopping crp from undermining employee that they potentially believe to be the ones complaining? Or even, stopping other companies to do that preemptively?

I don't know man, jason did nothing wrong, but if other people don't have a problem with it, we can't force them. Some people are not ready to have this discussion, and I respect their right to make their own decisions, even if I don't think it's the best one.

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
Sure, which has nothing to do with saying stuff like "working in your dream industry isn't a right" and all the other garbage in that post. Being treated fairly in your workplace SHOULD be a right we guarantee to all workers, including all those workers in the games industry who have been exploited, whether that's through overwork or sexual harassment and abuse, mass layoffs or all the other terrible shit that happens in this industry.

The audacity to post garbage like this after everything we've learned about the industry in the last couple years is ludicrous.
Absolutely. Anyone going on about "dream jobs" or "passion projects" to excuse crunch culture is a straight up sucker at best.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States

Especially when you look at trophy/achievement data and only a fraction of the audience is finishing it.

Feb 24, 2018
Plus with examples like of Ubisoft, Quantic Dreams or Riot a few years back, theirs a good chance that not everyone is mistreated at the same degree, especially when it comes to sexism, homophobia, transphona, racism etc.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia

I never said workers shouldn't be treated fairly. Being generously compensated for things like overtime would be being treated fairly imo. I just think its unrealistic that many here think any type of extra work that wasn't originally planned for in the is totally avoidable, projects generally don't work out like that all the time.

And as for sexual harassment and abuse that is 100% abhorrent. But I, and I don't see any others here, defend it, so I'd appreciate you not putting words in my mouth.

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
The thing is that some devs fear retalation. What exactly an article about anonimous experience will achieve? A discussion in the community? Meanwhile, what stopping crp from undermining employee that they potentially believe to be the ones complaining? Or even, stopping other companies to do that preemptively?

I don't know man, jason did nothing wrong, but if other people don't have a problem with it, we can't force them. Some people are not ready to have this discussion, and I respect their right to make their own decisions, even if I don't think it's the best one.
Problems aren't solved on their own. They have to be addressed first. Right now short of unionizing speaking to a reporter like Jason is the best way to address it. Because he's going to compile and report and not name names unless allowed.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

part of this is the inflated standards of aaa, but there needs to be a concerted effort to develop and plan in ways that reduce this. endemic crunch is project management failure.

Of the levers that can be pulled in the triple constraint resources (aka overtime/crunch) is the one that least impacts customers, which is why it is pulled the most.

Scope lead to a lesser experience and/or negative word of mouth. Delays (aka adding time) is often met with negative responses as well.

Last edited:

Deleted member 20852

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The title of this thread should be made into a poster one could just point at whenever somebody does this.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anyone would go to bat for crunch, but rather they don't want to confront the implication that A Game They Like, made by A Company They Like, was built by worker exploitation, so they have to twist themselves in knots to justify why it's okay.
I had a guy in a ND thread tell me crunching is just the way the "real world" works and people complaining about it must be young people who haven't worked "real" jobs.

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
User warned and threadbanned: trolling and derailing with whataboutism over multiple posts
Crunch is crunch. It's terrible.

What I'd like to know is why CDPR is getting so much thrown at it for this crunch than when Naughty Dog decided to delay TLOU2 and crunch for several months and didn't get this much attention.

If we're going to call out crunch culture, we need to stop picking and choosing who we call out just because "Oh my god, they made my favourite game, I can't call them out".

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
This is just worker exploitation apologia.

No it isn't. There are way less jobs in the games industry than there are talent who want them. It's a priviledge to work for something you're passionate about but the downside is there are tonnes of people just as talented as you who will take your job and work twice as hard if you're not willing to step up when asked. That's just how things are and will continue to be. If you're older and don't want to work as hard and want more of a life outside of your passion. Either work that out with your employer, or work in a normal industry that pays better and is half as competitive. Just don't start crying when your work is less fullfulling - because guess what? That's why it's paid better.

Even in some utopic socialist fantasy land there's going to be some work that requires more time than originally planned.

Also there will still be people who actually want to go the extra mile to make it better and take pride in their work.

Pride and dedication I think are things a lot of people these days seem to see as a negative quality. All I know is most of my favourite art I consume (not talking just games media here - but movies, novels etc) wouldn't exist if everyone had the same kind of "I know my rights I'm not working a second more than my contract even if you pay me" mentality.

There's a reason people like Jim Sterling aren't creative directors (ignoring talent requirements).