• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
But a sincere happy birthday to her. She did far from the right things, but her perspective is compelling and somewhat understandable nonetheless.
According to the opening song what she really wanted was a normal life away from her self-imposed duties, so a birthday celebration is particularily befitting.

Yes, one the interesting things about her is seeing the tension between being the implacable leader and wishing to reclaim some of her lost childhood. In that sense she reminds me a lot of Lucina, who has to put on a brave face to lead the survivors in the future, but also wishes for a normal life with her lost family, being able to spend time with them, doing meaningless things like shopping for gaudy clothes. In several ways they're a lot alike.

Lark

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Edelgard is one of the highlights of modern Fire Emblem—a character with complex personality and compelling motivations, whose actions the player can explore from many opposing angles. A major step up from the attempts at that in Fates, certainly, and it's been nice to see the fan enthusiasm for Three House's narrative direction as a whole. I've done some work recently with students on game writing, and Edelgard came up as a point of creative inspiration more often than I'd have expected, given FE's relatively niche appeal.

Fromskap

Sep 6, 2019
Yes, one the interesting things about her is seeing the tension between being the implacable leader and wishing to reclaim some of her lost childhood. In that sense she reminds me a lot of Lucina, who has to put on a brave face to lead the survivors in the future, but also wishes for a normal life with her lost family, being able to spend time with them, doing meaningless things like shopping for gaudy clothes. In several ways they're a lot alike.
You can even make the case that her deliberate abandonment of the prospects of a normal life is her most decisive flaw. Instead of confiding in Byleth or the others, she considers herself a tool for solely accomplishing her goals of dismantling the church/crests and who cannot have normal relations. It is presented as a rather immature viewpoint by the game, with her running around conniving in a childish fire emperor persona. It is seemingly this disconnect from normal relationships that makes her so cruel in most routes, and she explicitly says in CR that if it weren't for Byleth's trust she would be a much more frigid person. You sort of have to shatter her pragmatic expectations to make her reevaluate by siding with her despite glaring questions and doubts, throwing her off balance as she was expecting to carry her weight alone.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Anime Hitler baffles me more especially when that title has belonged to same person for like 30 years.
Even within the context of Three Houses, any member of TWSITD fits that description better than the character fighting to destroy the system that says "some people have holy blood and are better".

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Happy Birthday

I hope she's wearing her best outfit to the party :^)

v4m6lu.jpg

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
man, i really have to finish beagles route at some point

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
You can even make the case that her deliberate abandonment of the prospects of a normal life is her most decisive flaw. Instead of confiding in Byleth or the others, she considers herself a tool for solely accomplishing her goals of dismantling the church/crests and who cannot have normal relations. It is presented as a rather immature viewpoint by the game, with her running around conniving in a childish fire emperor persona. It is seemingly this disconnect from normal relationships that makes her so cruel in most routes, and she explicitly says in CR that if it weren't for Byleth's trust she would be a much more frigid person. You sort of have to shatter her pragmatic expectations to make her reevaluate by siding with her despite glaring questions and doubts, throwing her off balance as she was expecting to carry her weight alone.

Indeed. While a degree of secrecy in her plan was necessary due to the danger involved if her plan was uncovered - possible retaliation coming from TWSitD, the church, or even Dimitri - her isolation was motivated just as much by fear. Fear of attachment. Fear of rejection. Fear of betrayal. So she tried to distance herself from everyone and just focus on the path forward. Though committing herself to solely be a tool for her goals rather than a person ended up dehumanizing herself in much the same way TWSitD sought to use her as a dehumanized tool against the Nabateans. It's part of why her transformation into the Hegemon is framed as tragic, more so than monstrous. She ultimately lost value in herself.

Which is what makes Crimson Flower all the sweeter. Knowing how it would all go down if left alone, it's very cathartic to see what happens instead when others reach out to her, and she in turns opens up to them. Especially since the decision in the Holy Tomb is not framed as a cold calculation of facts and politics, but rather a leap of faith, weighing only Byleth's belief in Edelgard as a person.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bappy Hirthday

Also there is nothing more contemptible than calling Edelgard anime hitler. It showcases such a profound misunderstanding of fascism, history and Edelgard's cause overall

And it's just a bit cringe

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shining example of as long as you are pretty people will love you and forgive everything. And they wonder why tyrants still have followers in the real world.

So Stalin, Mao, etc were loved and forgiven by people because they were... pretty?

Anyway, it's hard not to side-eye the "you only like x character because she's a waifu" argument because there's always this undercurrent of sexism that bothers me (nobody really makes that argument about Dimitri, despite his monstrous actions).

Like, most of Edelgard's fans are passionate about her character because of her wants, ambitions and resolve. Otherwise, there wouldn't be an infinite and (largely stupid) debate between her fans and haters.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Happy Birthday Edelgard! Love the art in this thread, though the posts in here remind me of why I avoid Edelgard disc like the plague

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Thinking about it, I think Edelgard is the closest that Nintendo will ever get to Joel from The Last of Us (Part 1):
  • They're both well-written, well-developed and well-humanised characters that are initially presented as the hero in their respective games.
  • The crux of their character arcs involves them committing an ostensibly evil action for an understandable motive.
  • One of the motivations for said evil action is a trauma that occured to them before their game's plot begins.
  • Despite their initial presentation, their morality is grey at best and flat out evil at worst.
  • The fanbases are constantly arguing about whether they're evil or not.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
^ Wonderful.

The fan artists have been killing it, too. My timeline is currently blessed.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
I love how the FE community took the F!Byleth/Edelgard ship and ran away with it

Can you imagine if IS came out and declared Ike is gay? Twitter would explode...for better or for worse.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I love how the FE community took the F!Byleth/Edelgard ship and ran away with it

Can you imagine if IS came out and declared Ike is gay? Twitter would explode...for better or for worse.

IS refuses to confirm any male lords as queer -- or any traditionally masculine looking men, for that matter -- and it's terribly frustrating.

Yuri ended up being one of my favorite Three Houses characters, but so many others have queer subtext -- Claude, Dimitri, Dedue, Felix, Sylvain, Caspar -- that needed to be text.

Maybe if it takes another decade for Tellius to get remade or remastered, conservative ass Nintendo will finally feel comfortable letting Ike be confirmed gay.