• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
"Released on October 17, 2001, Devil May Cry was praised for its fluid, rewarding combat, multiple weapons with their own unique movesets, the Devil Trigger system which enhanced each weapon, intuitive yet simple control scheme, and absolutely intense boss battles"

Time has flown by since the launch of this gem.

Have you played it yet ?

Do you remember the first time you played it ?

Happy Birthday to Devil May Cry!

MV5BMGYyMGM4NzAtMjc5NS00OGI2LTg0YjctOTkwYTVhNzg5MmYzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjA3Nzc4OTA@._V1_.jpg

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I played through the entire series (sans DmC), back-to-back, in prep for DMC5 this year. (Yes, that includes DMC2...)

I think it still (mostly) holds up.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
God I remember playing DMC1 back in the day, I finished it so many times, it'll always have a very special place in my heart, still remember getting the alastor sword, and fighting the phantom spider, that was so hype!

Oct 25, 2017
Was playing it for the first time last year, had to stop due to faulty analogs. Absolutely amazing game, was pleasantly surprised - platforming sections aside.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Hideki Kamiya on his Bayonetta LP commentary said:
Devil May Cry 1
By the way, I just remembered this, but the enemy Phantom from DMC was the only enemy in that game designed by the creator of Dante, Tsuchibayashi. Originally, DMC1 was being developed as a Resident Evil sequel. The enemies were generally monsters created through biotechnology. For that reason, the parts of Phantom that now look like lava had a meaty texture; a really nice high-contrast combination of red and white. But of course the game we were making was removed from the RE series, and development was shifted to this game called DMC. So the enemy designs were changed, but a programmer named Karatsuma joined around the same time. Karatsuma basically handled all the large enemies in DMC. He also programmed the Griffons and Nightmare. That's the kind of guy he was. "If we're making this DMC," he said, let's put in floating enemies, enemies vomiting magma."

After hearing that, I realized cutting the biotech monster element out entirely would be more fun. For the floating enemy, we did the Sin Scissors based on a Grim Reaper motif. And we changed the surface of Phantom's body from raw meat to magma. He became a boss that spewed lava and burrowed under the ground through magma. Yeah.

DMC1 is definitely a product of its time, played today, but what a product. You can see how they got from Resi Evil to, like, Bayonetta. It's a superb example of a missing link game

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought it when it first came out. I didn't like it quite as much as Onimusha but it was a quality action game. I have been meaning to replay it.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Played it earlier this year but ended up dropping it. Cool ideas, horribly dated.

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
When I first played Devil May Cry, I couldn't beat it. Eventually I got the box set with all three of the PS2 games and beat it on an easier difficulty. Love that goofball Dante, and really glad that I picked up that game again. I've since played 2, 3, and 4, and plan to pick up 5 in the future.

This was one of my avatars on LiveJournal for awhile. It's a piece by one of the game's staff members, and comes from Devil May Cry Graphic File:

I don't use that account anymore, but maybe I should bring back this avatar sometime.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Y'all remember this little thing called Blockbuster Game Pass (the original "game pass" lol)? Back in 2003-2004, me and a friend were both signed up and I remember him finding this gem of a game. I being the teenage metalhead that I was, was instantly drawn to the OST, the imagery, and of course the Devil May Cry name. I remember watching my friend advance in his playthrough, then going to Blockbuster to grab a copy as well. Good times.

Played DMC1 last year to celebrate the upcoming 5. Still amazing and still a personal favorite. Here's to DMC! *swig*

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
I mostly played RPG's at that time. I used to post at a website called allrpg.com and there was this thread where somebody asked what game in 2001 were your most hyped for.

I kept seeing people list Devil May Cry.

The fuck is this devil may cry shit people kept talking about? Saw some trailers and thought it was super cool. Ended up renting the Code Veronica X that came with the DMC1 demo disc from Blockbuster. Spent the whole rental period playing DMC1, never touched Code Veronica. Game came out, ending up beating the game on Dante Must Die mode. No video game has ever really "challenged" me since. It's like DMC1 DMD mode (Nightmare 3, looking at you) numbed me out for any action game afterwards. Even DMC3 and Ninja Gaiden were mostly a non-challenge for me.

bar_bar12

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
One of my favorite games ever, alongside 3 and 5. I remember finishing it with S-ranking every mission on my first run through DMD. Some missions made me almost tear my hair out haha

OP
OP
Okabe

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Y'all remember this little thing called Blockbuster Game Pass (the original "game pass" lol)? Back in 2003-2004, me and a friend were both signed up and I remember him finding this gem of a game. I being the teenage metalhead that I was, was instantly drawn to the OST, the imagery, and of course the Devil May Cry name. I remember watching my friend advance in his playthrough, then going to Blockbuster to grab a copy as well. Good times.

Played DMC1 last year to celebrate the upcoming 5. Still amazing and still a personal favorite. Here's to DMC! *swig*

Wow i forgot all about the blockbuster game pass lmao

Tolby

Sep 24, 2019
Eastern Europe
If you have the opportunity, look at the sky in the
mirror world
in the original PS2 release. The HD collections removed the scary swirling it has. Love this game!

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I destroyed my first DMC1 disc by smashing the disc into the side of my PS2 because I couldn't beat the first spider boss fight on 'Normal'. Seems so ridiculous thinking back because that fight (and entire game) is easy as hell on Normal.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Obligatory

I haven't touched the game since it came out (beat it multiple times though), but it'll always have a big place in my heart, even if the sequels (except you, DMC2!) were better and aged better.

OP
OP
Okabe

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Obligatory

I haven't touched the game since it came out (beat it multiple times though), but it'll always have a big place in my heart, even if the sequels (except you, DMC2!) were better and aged better.

We should have filled DMC2's dark soul with LIIIIIGHT

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Played it again for the first time in ages this year. Still a bitchin action game. Takes most of the combat systems we get in other games to church. No altar.

What a great franchise. Good to have it back.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Future DMC games improved the combat but nothing ever came close to DMC1's atmosphere, enemy design, environments, and music. Still my favorite DMC game.

Salutations to the originator of the 3D character action game.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I pre-ordered it with the purchase of my PS2, first game I ever pre-ordered. Before DMC actually released, the MGS2 demo was about all I really had to play on it, so I was extremely excited for the launch of DMC. I was absolute trash at action games like this back then, so I had to play it on Easy Automatic to actually finish it, but I've been hooked on the Stylish Action genre ever since.

Everything about it appealed to my 16 year old self, Dante swinging those marionettes up in the air and holding them there with two pistols was unquestionably the coolest thing I had seen in a video game up to that point.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Future DMC games improved the combat but nothing ever came close to DMC1's atmosphere, enemy design, environments, and music. Still my favorite DMC game.

Salutations to the originator of the 3D character action game.
I agree with this statement. I would like a new DMC game that goes back to the feeling that 1 has.